Awoo.

Ducktales (2017)

Mando-Whirl-Wind

Since we didn't have a thread for the actual show thought I'd make one. No one's sure of the voice actors for sure, but it's a reboot of the classic show. Launchpad is confirmed, but here's our first look

Cc9nVrtUYAAwJSO.jpg

source

Though sadly the trend of putting all animated shows on Disney XD continues. Since we have a first look when we have more info we'll do a full intro. The art looks similar to the Mickey mouse shorts, but that's not a bad thing since we know how well it works. So any thoughts?

• Thumbs Up 7

If Donald is going to play a bigger role in this show (much like the original comics) then I really hope the writers find some purpose for him other than for characters to mock his so-called speech impediment. His sporadic appearances were pretty lame and surprisingly inconsequential, especially since Disney made it a point to not include him as a main cast member in order to not detract from Scrooge's prominence.

11 minutes ago, Sean said:

If Donald is going to play a bigger role in this show (much like the original comics) then I really hope the writers find some purpose for him other than for characters to mock his so-called speech impediment. His sporadic appearances were pretty lame and surprisingly inconsequential, especially since Disney made it a point to not include him as a main cast member in order to not detract from Scrooge's prominence.

Perhaps he'll be the shared comic relief alongside Launchpad(depending on how big is role is), being something along the lines of Quack Pack, walking into bad situations by accident, being ignorant until something really bad happens. Being the hopeless loser who constantly messes up, as shown by hanging on the car

It's a little jarring to see Hewey, Dewey, and Louie no longer look like each other. It's not a problem but after seeing them with the same look for so long and to see this is like "Woah!" Yeah I know they didn't look like each other in Quack Pack but to be fair it seemed all the characters got redesigns in that show, the least being changed was Donald since he looked pretty much the same but instead of a sailor uniform, he wore a Hawaiian shirt in that show.

Should have expected that they'd use the same art style as the 2013 Mickey shorts, but I'm just glad they resisted the urge to do some really lackluster CGI job a la Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

Looking forward to it, especially, as Sean said, if Donald has a more pronounced role in it than in the original series.

22 minutes ago, sonicgirl313 said:

It's a little jarring to see Hewey, Dewey, and Louie no longer look like each other. It's not a problem but after seeing them with the same look for so long and to see this is like "Woah!" Yeah I know they didn't look like each other in Quack Pack but to be fair it seemed all the characters got redesigns in that show, the least being changed was Donald since he looked pretty much the same but instead of a sailor uniform, he wore a Hawaiian shirt in that show.

They appear to look like each other still, though- the different hairs might just be an effect of the wind. Too early to tell.

Anyways I don't care for Webby, but at least she's got a neat new design; I don't care for any of the other Ducktales elements they already confirmed, but at least the art style looks like a great combo of the Mickey Mouse shorts and the old comics. Look, Scrooge has his RED COAT! And Donald's got his black shirt! This looks great in those regards and definitely has my interest. Here's hoping they manage to keep the Barks elements more Barksian- I want to see Flintheart Glomgold actually be from South Africa instead of Scotland, I want to see Magica be Italian instead of Romanian; and let's hope they add more comics elements, I want to see Scrooge's family be how Rosa defined them or Fethry finally appearing.

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, The KKM said:

They appear to look like each other still, though- the different hairs might just be an effect of the wind. Too early to tell.

Anyways I don't care for Webby, but at least she's got a neat new design; I don't care for any of the other Ducktales elements they already confirmed, but at least the art style looks like a great combo of the Mickey Mouse shorts and the old comics. Look, Scrooge has his RED COAT! And Donald's got his black shirt! This looks great in those regards and definitely has my interest. Here's hoping they manage to keep the Barks elements more Barksian- I want to see Flintheart Glomgold actually be from South Africa instead of Scotland, I want to see Magica be Italian instead of Romanian; and let's hope they add more comics elements, I want to see Scrooge's family be how Rosa defined them or Fethry finally appearing.

Actually I was referring to the fact the no longer wear the same outfits. Once again, not a problem, in fact I don't even mind it, I was just stating just my immediate thoughts  on it. You get what I mean right, I'm finding a hard time putting words to how I feel. ^^;

No that's fair, I hadn't noticed the different outfits. Wonder if they're going to give them their Quack Pack personalities, or a merger between those and the Barks one, then.

I don't see why it's a negative that it's on Disney XD. Honestly, with the current state of Disney Channel, I'm happy to hear it's going there. Just please don't end up like Gravity Falls and have episode releases that are randomly put out. Other than that, I think XD is doing better than the first few years. 

anyway, consider me excited! Ducktales was my shit as a kid, and this is looking very promising lol.

• Thumbs Up 2

Interesting that Donald's probably going to have a more prominent role this time around. And I'm happy they're going with the style of the Mickey Mouse shorts for the animation.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well it IS CG, the mistake a lot of people (me included) were making was immediately assuming they meant 3D CGI instead of, assuming they animate this like the Mickey Shorts, 2d animated in Toon Boom.

I'm really becoming more hype for this than I should, because it's going to break all my hopes. There won't be Fethry, there won't be more use of comics stuff, I really doubt Glomgold and DeSpell will be corrected, etc. Sigh. It promises great visuals, though. Love all the textures.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've seen a lot of people dissing this single image on Facebook (the usual Walt is turning in his grave comments).  I don't see what's their problem since it really reminds me of Don Rosa's art-style.

For that matter with the "Walt turning in his grave" comments, If he was still alive Walt would have wanted to see this made because he was for innovation, and this cartoon is the next step of that idea that has been going on.

It looks Like they're also upgrading the nephews from their sort of hive-mind personality in the original show. They each show a bit of individuality in the picture; Louie (green) seems to be the more cautious type pointing out danger ahead of them, Dewey (blue) is more aggressive and quick to action as he prepares to launch a spear back at their pursuers and Huey(red) is the book smart one beak deep in the Junior Woodchuck Guide book for tips.

Glad it seems like both Donald has a larger role and the boys all have rather distinct personalities. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Tailikku said:

I've seen a lot of people dissing this single image on Facebook (the usual Walt is turning in his grave comments).  I don't see what's their problem since it really reminds me of Don Rosa's art-style.

For that matter with the "Walt turning in his grave" comments, If he was still alive Walt would have wanted to see this made because he was for innovation, and this cartoon is the next step of that idea that has been going on.

Anytime something changes even slightly, people will talk about the how the original creators would be very disappointed, but forgiving the assumption that the creators are as emotionally attached to the characters as popular culture is, I always love how 1) it undermines how much the characters changed during the creators' own tenure working on them, and 2) the last "good" thing pretty much always aligns with something from their childhood, which Walt was probably not present for and probably featured a complete transformation of the characters in some form or another as well.

• Thumbs Up 4

also walt didn't have anything to do with what made the ducks great so he's fucking irrelevant to this discussion

the nephews are tagliaferro, scrooge is barks, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

Webby's redesign reminds me of a younger Daisy's Quack Pack design actually.

latest?cb=20131119125753

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, Ducktales looks great! I'm glad they didn't go the CGI route and decided to follow the style to the Mickey Mouse shorts. We've seen Scrooge in the shorts before as well.

latest?cb=20150114140251

So... will we finally get Scrooge in Disney Infinity now?

• 9 months later...

K, never mind the ducklings' redesigns for now, did you see Mrs. Beakley's new look?

She looks like someone who could fill in for Scrooge's business in Duckburg when he's out gallivanting now. Far from being just a bubbly maid from the original, and I think that's brilliant.

Mrs. Beakley.png

Now the only question is what Duckworth will look like after this.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love David Tennant, he's a fantastic actor and his stints in voice acting have been nothing short of great. I won't say no to him voice acting. 

...but his voice is rather young for old Scrooge. Yeah, he's an actual Scott, but his voice is very youthful. So we'll see if he gets out a new voice.

Not sure what I think about the kids having older voices. We'll see.

11 hours ago, Ryusuke said:

I love David Tennant, he's a fantastic actor and his stints in voice acting have been nothing short of great. I won't say no to him voice acting. 

...but his voice is rather young for old Scrooge. Yeah, he's an actual Scott, but his voice is very youthful. So we'll see if he gets out a new voice.

Not sure what I think about the kids having older voices. We'll see.

This is my main concern as well.  Tennant is a fantastic actor, I'm just not sure if he's right for the part.

The character redesigns are pretty interesting as well.  Mrs. Beakley's new look suggets a different role from her usual appearances.  Looking forward to seeing how this all pans out.