Awoo.

Ducktales (2017)

Mando-Whirl-Wind

This is one of the few reboots that's exciting me. Unlike Teen Titans Go or Powerpuff Girls 2016, this seems to be making enough changes to stand out as its own product, while also keeping the spirit alive of the original. It isn't like Powerpuff Girls where they tried so hard to desperately hold onto the older designs and style that the new voices, humour, and new slice of life nonsense just completely feels jarring and it does help that it lost a lot of what made the original show feel like the original show, with the downgraded fights, choppy animation, meh voice acting, and stupid attempts at historical updates that just serve to date the series, and make it look like its desperate to appeal to kids with memes and stupid shit like twerking. I won't even start into my feelings on Teen Titans Go other than I dislike it with a passion.

But from what we've seen of Ducktales, it seems like it's gonna try hard to keep the feel of adventure while still being its own thing. The new voice actors are excused by the fact that very sadly, Scrooge's original voice actor passed away this year, and they likely just wanted to get new voice actors to help the characters stand out more (Personally, I'll love it if Webby, Huey Dewey, and Louie have distinct voices this time around). The art style is using the style of the recent Mickey shorts and I fucking love that art style with a passion, and the fact that already, characters have gotten redesigns that's more recent and seems to suggest some historical updates for the better (Webby, Huey, Dewey, and Louie's designs being a lot more unique, kind of like how Quack Pack did it but better, Ms. Beakly's new design suggesting she might have an active role in helping Scrooge with his company etc) and more, everything's hitting the right marks for me. It also helps that Disney seems to be much more kind to action/adventure shows than Cartoon Network.

All I'll say is I hope this one turns out well, and might open the path for new and better remakes (Darkwing Duck :U)

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 months later...

And apparently, the show's already been ordered for a second season:

It hasn't even aired yet.

2 minutes ago, SonicWind said:

And apparently, the show's already been ordered for a second season:

It hasn't even aired yet.

I really hate when networks do that, personally. Another season is something that should be earned, not given prematurely because the network assumes the show will be successful. Not that I doubt this show will be a hit, but you really shouldn't count your chickens before they hatch- or lay more eggs, for that matter.

As for the show itself, I'm pretty pleased with this first impression! I love how the triplets now have slightly different designs instead of just being the same model with different colored clothes, and I'm ecstatic that Donald is getting a more active role than in the original show! And the voices, while noticeably different, fit the characters just fine! Most importantly, the new remixed theme song sounds incredible!

Between this and Scrooge's fight against Shovel Knight yesterday, it's a great time to be a Ducktales fan! WOO-OO!

• Thumbs Up 4

Is it a reboot  honest I don't see how you can top it from the 80s. It was just a golden era for cartoons

As long as the reboot carves its own identity instead of being content with being a shadow of the original, it'll do great, regardless if it "tops" the original or not.

Judging by the trailer, that appears to be the case. Very impressed with it so far. Definitely seems to be shooting to be as faithful to the Scrooge comics as it can. And I don't mean stuff as simple as Scrooge having his red coat and Donald wearing black - I'm really getting the daring facet of comic!Scrooge that I never really got as much from him in the original show. Adventurous, yes, but not really daring and suave. In that regard, casting David Tennant as Scrooge works really well, instead of searching for an Alan Young soundalike. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It looks okay.  I'm not impressed with the voice cast, though.  Alan Young's voice becomes sorely missed.

That being sad, as long as it tries to be refresh and not cater to the nostalgia evoked from the old series, then I'll probably get used to it.

So, I just noticed, but a lot of the designs are completely different from the concept art. Pretty much the only one in-tact is Scrooge. Huey, Dewey, and Louie all all subtle design alterations with their hair, Donald's outfit changed slightly to his usual sailor hat, compared to the smaller version in the concept art, and Webby's design is completely different, with a different hair style, different expressions, new clothing/fashion change, and more.

duck-tales-2017-173056.jpg duc_jeep_billboard_art_webres.jpg

one thing I noted regaring Launchpad's redesign is that he's now sporting a cap rather than pilot's goggles.  In a way it's like they're evoking Orville and Wilbur from the Rescuers.

Take a look at Orville taking off in the first film:

maxresdefault.jpg

And then compare that to Wilbur while he's jamming to some surf rock:

rescuers-down-under-disneyscreencaps-com

It's almost like it's a coincidental redesign that was evoked just by watching the trailer

Edit:

Come to think of it, Old Launchpad was similar to Orville in that he was a no-nonsense pilot, unafraid of anything, even crashing (given his 99:1 crash-to-landing ratio in the series, Darkwing Duck not withstanding).  New Launchpad seems more like Wilbur as he is only doing his job and is afraid of crashing as seen by his "Oh no the ground!" line

Ehhh, Louie and Huey look the same to me... Though I will agree there's some changes to the others sans Scrooge. 

And it's coming this summer!

I'm looking forward to it. But I still worry about how the reboot will fare, for obvious reasons. The animation is good, almost like a comic come to life, and I like the voice acting, even if it's obviously not the originals for the most part.

I'm hoping it'll be good. If nothing else, it might (I'm not gonna say will, due to Disney's track record) give them an excuse to put the final episodes of the original on DVD.

• 2 weeks later...

The animation doesn't look bad, but I'm put off by Huey, Dewey, and Louie's voices. Regardless, I'm hoping the reboot will turn out well.

• 2 months later...

So we just got a HUGE amount of new stuff for this show. First things first, we've got an article featuring more character and VA confirmations, including Gyro, Gladstone, Ma Beagle, and more. Said article also reveals the show's debut month: August.

Lastly, in honor of Donald's Birthday, Disney is releasing some new shorts! The first three star Donald, Huey, and Scrooge, but more are coming next week starring other characters:

Reading that article and hearing about the storyline and character stuff like Scrooge and Donald's divide, Donald moving his houseboat into Scrooge's pool, and the very comic-esque reaction Gladstone gets makes me even more excited to check this out. :D

• Thumbs Up 6

>Gladstone is in the series now.

Reboot wins.

But seriously, I'm getting more and more excited to see where this is going.

Feels like they went for a more Gravity Falls approach judging by the shorts.  Not bad, I suppose, but doesn't hold a candle to the original.  Scrooge's new voice is sort of growing on me, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

The new opening! Yes, an ACTUAL OPENING for a modern cartoon! It's a great one, too! (Took me a minute to notice Launchpad crashing into the logo at the end, LOL.)

• Thumbs Up 6

12 minutes ago, Hello Yello CC14 said:

The new opening! Yes, an ACTUAL OPENING for a modern cartoon! It's a great one, too! (Took me a minute to notice Launchpad crashing into the logo at the end, LOL.)

That was awesome! I really love this new intro, and the modern take on the old one. It's quite good.

16 minutes ago, Hello Yello CC14 said:

>Comics-inspired animation

>Beautiful singer

>Loads of stuff going on

>Number-1 Dime given the spotlight

>That clever mixture of the final chorus at the end

>The stinger of Launchpad crashing and knocking off all the villains

This is perfect. I'm gonna be listening to this song nonstop for the rest of the week.

• Thumbs Up 1

In other news, the official DuckTales Facebook page just did a live stream teasing a new announcement. However, you had to decrypt said announcement first, as the stream was just a ton of real ducklings waddling around in three separate tubs. The number of ducklings in each? 8 for the first, 11 for the second (or possibly 12, I might have missed one), and 17 for the third. We knew that the show was launching in August, but now it appears that we have an exact date: August 11th! (Or 12th.)

• Thumbs Up 1

It looks good. I have lots of nostalgia for the old series but the new one looks good. It's modern, different, but good.

We now have confirmation that the new DuckTales will debut with a one-hour TV movie on August 12th titled "Woo-oo!" The actual series will start airing a couple weeks later on September 23rd. Other news of note is confirmation that Ludwig von Drake will be making an appearance played by Corey Burton as usual. 

• Thumbs Up 1