Awoo.

Forum Theme ideas/questions

KHCast

So I mentioned this in the statuses, but I was wondering if there were any rules regarding the themes, and if they have to strictly be centered around Sonic? Like, would it be possible to have "special" themes perhaps that are about other franchises that have some sort of ties to Sonic? It's no  secret that Sonic has interacted with characters outside his own games. Like NiGhts for example. Or even Mario.  Heck, you could argue Zelda cause of Lost World.

Maybe be we could have a vote system for picking said "special" theme. Like maybe we have 5 choices to pick from(let's say Mario, Bayonetta, Billy Hatcher, Nights, Alex Kidd) and whoever wins will be the one used first, while the other ones go back in the hat to be voted on at some random point.

edit: Another idea I had was perhaps we could have themes based around the actual Sonic games. I think it's be neat if we had themes based off Unleashed, or Generations, or Adventure. The stylistic appeal of each game would be cool to see used as the base of a theme.

Yeah, and then we can have Cloud Strife be playable in Smash Bros. or something.  Haha, that'll be the day.

• Thumbs Up 9

When the initial idea of this weekly theme business was brought up, I thought that adding some rather interesting themes related to SEGA would be a fun thought. As we expanded on the idea, it became obvious that we had a huge list of themes to rebuild (mentioned by Dreadknux in the original announcement). He also wanted to release Amy Rose on Valentine's Day; since that was a Sunday, we went with a weekly schedule.

With the weekly theme releases coming to a close soon and the huge list of dark themes that I'd like to dig into (after an anticipated forum upgrade in the near future), it's unlikely you'll see this up for a vote. If any themes unrelated to Sonic show up, they'll be strictly SEGA - nothing from other developers despite crossovers and cameos over the years.

As for based around specific games.. I'd much rather integrate them in a more general sense or with some fun references.

• Thumbs Up 1

Would Persona count as a choice as they are owned by SEGA, even though it isn't developed in house by them?

No

To clarify, Persona (and anything by Atlus) is only Sega property on a very technical level; it's not exactly what people think of when they think Sega. It really doesn't, and shouldn't, count as a possible theme idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is the Sonic Stadium Message Board, not the Games Stadium Message Board. GSMB isn't nearly as catchy nor as amusingly likely to be confused with Brawl as SSMB is.

But on a serious note, we're not about to dilute the overall point of the forum with game franchises that don't belong or are so tangentially related to Sega that it would be pointless, nor would it be fair to put extra work on Chris' plate for making these themes in a timely manner. He really does work hard on these.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well I'm all for keeping it strictly SEGA(though personally I'd find it cool to have a Link or MGS cameo theme lol), just was curious about where the line is in regards to SEGA properties.

another idea I was thinking about was levels. Like iconic ones obviously like Green Hill Zone or Rooftop Run. Though not sure what the icon for no pic profiles would be then.

I'll try to lay this out so that this topic doesn't get filled with suggestions from other members... Basically Chris is almost done with the weekly themes and he has already decided what all of them are going to be, so there's an extremely slim, near-zero chance that any theme suggestions will be taken into consideration right now. Plus, themes pertaining to particular Sonic games or levels just don't fit with the pattern of what we already have.

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, Chris said:

When the initial idea of this weekly theme business was brought up, I thought that adding some rather interesting themes related to SEGA would be a fun thought. As we expanded on the idea, it became obvious that we had a huge list of themes to rebuild (mentioned by Dreadknux in the original announcement). He also wanted to release Amy Rose on Valentine's Day; since that was a Sunday, we went with a weekly schedule.

With the weekly theme releases coming to a close soon and the huge list of dark themes that I'd like to dig into (after an anticipated forum upgrade in the near future), it's unlikely you'll see this up for a vote. If any themes unrelated to Sonic show up, they'll be strictly SEGA - nothing from other developers despite crossovers and cameos over the years.

As for based around specific games.. I'd much rather integrate them in a more general sense or with some fun references.

Does this mean that characters that are from the Sonic series but aren't specifically game related can still get themes? For example, I'd love some themes based on the Archie series, such as a Sally, Bunnie, Rotor theme etc. It's a little unclear because on one hand, you guys have made a theme for Sticks, who's Boom related, and therefore not a main series character, but an argument can be made due to her appearances in RoL/SC/F&I/Olympic Games 2016. I'd like some solid confirmation if we can someday have themes based on characters from other pieces of Sonic media.

Can or will past themes be updated perhaps or modified? Like it would be nice if the option to choose different official artworks for characters was there. Especially in the case of the themes that use classic designs but not modern.

I think themes based on Sonic games is a really great idea, but other franchise themes shouldn't really be made, even if they're related to Sonic in some ways. In my opinion, on a Sonic forum, they would look a bit strange, but everyone can choose the theme they use, so... the staff wil decide, I guess.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Does this mean that characters that are from the Sonic series but aren't specifically game related can still get themes? For example, I'd love some themes based on the Archie series, such as a Sally, Bunnie, Rotor theme etc. It's a little unclear because on one hand, you guys have made a theme for Sticks, who's Boom related, and therefore not a main series character, but an argument can be made due to her appearances in RoL/SC/F&I/Olympic Games 2016. I'd like some solid confirmation if we can someday have themes based on characters from other pieces of Sonic media.

We stick to the games when deciding characters. Archie specific characters are unlikely.

8 hours ago, KHCast said:

Can or will past themes be updated perhaps or modified? Like it would be nice if the option to choose different official artworks for characters was there. Especially in the case of the themes that use classic designs but not modern.

Probably not. Adding an extra option for them also wouldn't work since it would add more clutter to an already crowded theme list.

I knew that, on paper, this idea sounds cool, but given Chris' and other admins hard work with this keeping this site running it wasn't possible for the foreseeable future.

It makes me wonder how far along the pipeline with the current theme list we have and totally understand that you're saving the best for last with the Catfish theme totally understand it makes perfect sense

What do you feel about the idea of having themes based on Sonic game characters of the past, (Tikal, Gamma, Emerl etc) forgotten characters, (Nack, Bean, Mighty etc) or any recent characters (D6, Chip etc)?

Should we only use the current main cast?

13 minutes ago, Destructo-Duck said:

What do you feel about the idea of having themes based on Sonic game characters of the past, (Tikal, Gamma, Emerl etc) forgotten characters, (Nack, Bean, Mighty etc) or any recent characters (D6, Chip etc)?

Should we only use the current main cast?

If the colour scheme isn't used by a more recent or relevant character, possibly (Tikal, Gamma/Omega, Emerl, Bean and Mighty are).

I'm not going to be spending time developing a theme for one or two people though. At that point, it's better if you learn to use custom stylesheets so you can make your own changes.

• Thumbs Up 3

Here's a simple enough suggestion: Can we have "Dark" versions of all of the themes or have them designed more in that light? Cause right now, Sonical (Dark) is the only theme comfortable to use cause it doesn't burn everyone's eyes out.

59 minutes ago, Waveshocker Sigma said:

Here's a simple enough suggestion: Can we have "Dark" versions of all of the themes or have them designed more in that light? 

20 hours ago, Chris said:

With the weekly theme releases coming to a close soon and the huge list of dark themes that I'd like to dig into (after an anticipated forum upgrade in the near future

• Thumbs Up 3

Aha! Of course! Despite clearly looking at the post beforehand, I still can't read! It all makes sense now. D:

Many thanks and my apologies.  ¦D

14 hours ago, Waveshocker Sigma said:

it doesn't burn everyone's eyes out

Well, I would still prefer to read a book like this:

9T1mst2.jpg

Over this:

kEFQiXc.jpg

I'm not saying Dark themes are bad, it's just not "everyone"'s tastes, wrong word here. I'm neutral to Dark themes, but I have some friends saying that they hate Sonic Stadium just because of this... because of its visual design, which it was default Sonical Dark until 2015. It actually do burn eyes to some people. I'm glad that now we have light Sonical as a default theme, because it doesn't scare people away.

To be fair, digital colors and physical colors act differently because light n physics n shit, so it's not really an apt comparison. xP

• Thumbs Up 4

I can still hope for a team hooligan theme, since that would provide an unique mix (Tan[Bark], Green[Bean], and Purple[Nack]), although how you would handle the icons and background would be interesting

I would stick to Sonic characters. It is Sonic forum, right?

"Boy, I sure like Metal Sonic. Can't wait for his theme"

"Sorry kid, we decided that Mario is more popular"

"But, but.." "Be patience, you'll get him...eventually. Can't talk, we discovered that Darth Vader is even more popular"

While we're on the subject: I know that "All of Angst" and stuff are cool names, but won't it get confusing when we will have 20 of those? How about giving them real names in parenthesis?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like to see skins focused on stages in the Sonic games like Green Hill etc. That would be cool