Awoo.

The creator & Director of Gravity Falls are at Sega

Badnik Mechanic

For the record, the Japanese and English translations have completely different dialogue in some cutscenes - the writers absolutely do matter.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

The point is, if Pontaff were replaced with better script writers, or at the very least ones who didn't treat the characters as perpetually sarcastic and stand-offish all the damn time or who could communicate a basic moral about responsibility competently, the stories would indeed be more enjoyable even if we still had the problem of disjointed scenarios. So while it's not a one size fits all solution, it's still a net benefit as far as I'm concerned.

Right. Fair enough.

On 23/03/2016 at 9:42 PM, Indigo Rush said:

For the record, the Japanese and English translations have completely different dialogue in some cutscenes - the writers absolutely do matter.

Do we have any good translated examples of this?  It'd be interesting to see how events looked like on the Japanese side - how they chose to pass the time.

Edit: Now that I think about it, didn't the Japanese version of Rise Of Lyric have something in it about Shadow being mind-controlled?  Or am I getting this mixed up with some unused lines from the English version?

Edit Again: I did some research of my own on the Japanese scripts for Colours and Lost World.  It's actually surprisingly difficult to find information - despite lots of results which are people saying "oh the Japanese script did such-and-such" - but the general impression I get is that the Japanese version of Colours had Japanese jokes, and the Japanese version of Lost World had fewer jokes.  I'm not really seeing much to remark on here unless one version managed to weave completely original subplots in or something like that.

2 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Roger Craig Smith is an extremely talented VA, but his voice for Sonic is an incredibly bad fit for the character.

Not quite a good statement to put for an otherwise good point, considering how highly debatable that is.

Just now, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Not quite a good statement to put for an otherwise good point, considering how highly debatable that is.

And I could go in depth into that, but this isn't the thread for that. I don't care for Roger, SEGA's, and Pontac and Graff's cumulative portrayal of the character as a whole. I don't think it fits Sonic in any sense of it.

3 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

It just seems to be that there's this unintended implication from the fact that since Pontaff don't have control of every facet of any story they work on (except SC which always seems excluded from these discussions), that subsequently the actual people writing the scripts don't matter much, or at least don't matter enough to justify the amount or the tone of the criticism leveled against them, and it's not an implication I agree with. Unleashed actually had roughly the same pacing and mechanical problems that Colors and Gens did, which is that by charging Sonic with cleaning up an overall mess consisting of addressing an arbitrary number of Macguffins without any overwhelming opposition from the villains, the second act becomes an absolute bore and the locations of the stages become a bit disconnected from the point of the narrative because each location has the same, interchangeable problem. And yes, that's a problem a person charged with just penning words and actions probably don't have any control over because it comes down to the game design. However, what makes Unleashed far more enjoyable is the actual script's attempt to give Sonic and Chip meaningful development, characterization that can juggle both comedic and dramatic moments, and to inject overarching themes in what is otherwise a basic "Do X this amount of times to win" game story. And the majority of this is indeed communicated through the script itself.

The point is, if Pontaff were replaced with better script writers, or at the very least ones who didn't treat the characters as perpetually sarcastic and stand-offish all the damn time or who could communicate a basic moral about responsibility competently, the stories would indeed be more enjoyable even if we still had the problem of disjointed scenarios. So while it's not a one size fits all solution, it's still a net benefit as far as I'm concerned.

Couldn't agree more. There's nothing I find more interesting when discovering a new place then discovering the story development that comes with it. Contrary to popular belief, you certainly don't need to get super deep to achieve something interesting with your narrative. Just let stuff happen.

And be sure it's not the same stuff over and over again. 

Those schmucks at Fanfiction.net said my Sonic x Gravity Falls fanfic was "highly improbable" and "never ever gonna happen." And they all laughed at me. WELL WHO'S LAUGHING NOW JAREDROCKS328 HA

• Thumbs Up 6

Uh, yeah,  I think he's just visiting Sega for a bit. I highly doubt he's working with them on a project. 

But it be would interesting if he was. 

15 hours ago, Detective Tenth Doctor said:

The Jun stuff was fake man, sorry. Fake Twitter account, made me fall for it a few days back.

Aww, that's bad to hear, but no problem. I don't really understand how or why they make fake accounts.

Well that was interesting!

IF he is doing something Sonic related, I think he could write some episodes for the Boom TV series... (Unless they're done with Season 2 production...)

A game story would be cool too... 

8 hours ago, Detective Zebra said:

Well that was interesting!

IF he is doing something Sonic related, I think he could write some episodes for the Boom TV series... (Unless they're done with Season 2 production...)

A game story would be cool too... 

Considering that Season 2 is confirmed to air this Fall, I'm sure the production for it is nearly finished unless they were in part of the production and no one knew?

• 1 month later...

Alex posted something interesting on his Twitter last night. Probably nothing, but considering recent events, you never knooooowww...

• Thumbs Up 6

3 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Alex posted something interesting on his Twitter last night. Probably nothing, but considering recent events, you never knooooowww...

I'm not gonna get to excited, but if he's talking about what I think he's talking about then holy shit.

I came into this topic thinking the theory would be that he was writing Sonic's bit in LEGO Dimensions, but I potentially undershot the mark by a mile, wow.

Guy known for cartoon about kids in the woods during summer dealing with monsters and mental projections working on a Videogame IP movie....
Psychonauts the movie confirmed! He visited Sega to ask their advice, because of their wonderful experience with the House of the Dead movies! Yes, it all makes sense.