Awoo.

Sonic Headcanons

Big Panda

The “illusionary continent” known as the Lost Hex was once known as PROJECT HEXUS, an experiment started by the Zeti race (Empire?) to create a mobile hub world for wayward, intergalactic travelers who have lost their homes.

The “sectors” found here are said to have been terraformed with samples of several lively planets, allowing varied environmental suitability for many different creatures.

Before it was even halfway finished, Master Zik (pre-Deadly Six) had [somehow] stolen HEXUS and disappeared without a trace. How and why he did this was a mystery the other Zeti have yet to solve.

Though the Deadly Six have made this their home ever since, they don’t necessarily rule it, despite their terrifying power. However, it has been said that travelers have indeed made themselves home as well while staying clear of the Six.

Word spread across the galaxy about a moving planet (or in this case, continent) and eventually gave it the name “LOST HEX”. It was last seen hidden near Sonic's world.

Tikal seriously HATES being called a ghost. "Ghost and spirit are NOT synonyms! Youkai, dijin, pixies, sprites, angels, and demons are also spirits!" The more you stress it, the more likely she is to rant.

Shade in fact has an older sister. Shade herself was almost stillborn.

Perci's origin story in a nutshell: Julie-Su is Ruby, Blaze is Sapphire. They combine, Perci is the Garnet. One could split her under the right circumstances.

• 2 weeks later...

Eggman intentionally gives his robots sentence. It’s a headache when they disobey, but it keeps him from feeling too lonely.

SEGA!Shadow doesn't have a personality of his own.

When he was first created, Shadow was kept in the dark about a lot of things, including the reason for his creation. As an artificial lifeform with the maturity of an adult, but the knowledge of a child, he couldn't have had sufficient time to learn social nuances from any of the ARK inhabitants either. Naive and completely amoral, Shadow just copies the behavior of whoever he interacts with. Real shadows are silhouettes of the objects they linger behind. They aren't complete, whole things at all. Personality-wise, this could mean he unknowingly adopts traits without realizing. The inquisitive nature of Gerald's scientists, Eggman's malicious determination, Sonic's egotistical wisecracks, and Maria/Amy's empathy... He only seems to show these characteristics when he's recently interacted with them.

It might explain why his lack of emotional response began after ShTH. To cope with the past, Shadow cut himself from everyone. He is nobody now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic's world always had humans.

The anthropomorphism in him and his friends is a rare mutation in otherwise 'realistic' fauna. The Animal Friends like the Flickies are the half-way point.

The Robotnik Lineage has a "cursed" mind. The same thing that makes them extremely brilliant with impossibly high IQs is the same thing that causes them to potentially go insane. If a Robotnik suffers a traumatic experience, their sanity will slowly slip away and darker thoughts, ambitions and intentions will begin to surface uncontrollably until their mind is completely swallowed up by them and they dominate the Robotnik's entire personality, turning them into a twisted version of their former self. For Gerald, the trigger was Maria's death. For Nega, the trigger was growing up in a time where his entire lineage is mocked for his ancestor's failures. But for Eggman, the trigger is a mystery...

• 2 weeks later...

My personal headcanons:

* There are multiple sets of Chaos Emeralds. This explains why they look different between Sonic 1/2/3. There's the South Island set of six, the West Side Island set of seven, the Angel Island set of seven, the Gaia Shrines set from Unleashed, and a bunch more sets... It also explains why Sonic hasn't been able to go Hyper since S3&K, since only the Angel Island Chaos Emeralds can become Super Emeralds.

* Sonic 4 was just a dream that Sonic had

* all anthropomorphic animals are born with black irises and start to gain color at a certain age, depending on species. This is why Cream's eyes in Sonic Advance 2 are just pure-black, she gained eye color by Sonic Heroes. Sonic and Amy gained them around age 11, and he was 11 during the events of Sonic 1/2/3&K/Generations(Classic) which is why he still had black eyes, and Tails was 4 years old during Sonic 2/3&K/Generations(Classic) and gained his blue eyes around age 7-8. By the events of Sonic Adventure, everyone had gained their full eye-color (except Cream).

* Dr. Eggman participated in a weight-loss program after the events of S3&K and before the events of Sonic Adventure, but he gave up at some point when he saw that he was now shaped like an egg rather than a sphere, which is what he wanted. He then bought new clothes to celebrate his weight loss. This is also why he stopped going by Dr. Robotnik and now goes by Dr. Eggman. After the events of Shadow the Hedgehog, he decided to embark on the weight loss program again while studying the Flames of Disaster... But then the timeline was reset and he didn't embark on the weight loss program a second time which is why he retains his Adventure design in Unleashed.

* There are multiple Emerald shrines on Angel Island, which is why the one in Hidden Palace Zone in S3&K looks nothing like the one from Sonic Adventure. Every time Knuckles appears in a Sonic game without explaining who's guarding the Master Emerald, Knuckles simply has it secured in a hidden shrine that no one else will find. 

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, Chaos Rush said:

This is why Cream's eyes in Sonic Advance 2 are just pure-black, she gained eye color by Sonic Heroes.

Cream's eyes were always brown.

I just created this theory but love it! 

Knuckles the echidna was born years before , when the echidnas were being wiped out. His mother, dying but desperate snuck around the destruction and turmoil of the battles to see the master Emerald. She begs to let her son live ( a very little child)  so the master Emerald kept him in a sort of timeless sleep until the time came when a guardian would be needed. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Knucklesgirl said:

I just created this theory but love it! 

Knuckles the echidna was born years before , when the echidnas were being wiped out. His mother, dying but desperate snuck around the destruction and turmoil of the battles to see the master Emerald. She begs to let her son live ( a very little child)  so the master Emerald kept him in a sort of timeless sleep until the time came when a guardian would be needed. 

They basically had this storyline as canon in Sonic The Comic where Knuckles was apparently alive during the time of the echidnas as Sonic recognized him when he was sent to the past, but Knuckles was put into a frozen state until Sonic's present time. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I've often imagined that West Side Island is a colony of the United Federation, simply as a fun little reference to the fact that many of the zones in Sonic 2 took a bit of inspiration from Sonic Team's experiences in America (such as this).

I think that maybe part of the reason why Knuckles is so easily fooled into believing Sonic is up to no good is that he desperately and stubbornly wants to believe that there was at least a modicum of truth to his initial suspicions about Sonic when he was tricked the first time, which honestly isn't that great of him considering Sonic is one of his best friends, but he has a prideful side of him that he has a hard time overcoming.

Armies and police forces in Sonic's world collect rings as a supplement to their bulletproof vests.

Espio cannot normally change the visibility of anything but his own body. This is why he didn't go invisible in Knuckles Chaotix; his shoes and gloves would be visible. Sometime between the events of that game and Sonic Heroes, he went on a ninja quest and found special ninja-y shoes and gloves that can go invisible along with him, and has worn them ever since.

There are several characters in the series who have greater physical strength than Knuckles, such as Mighty, Bark, Big, and E-123 Omega, but Knuckles has much superior martial arts skills (he was probably taught by his father) and much greater agility than all but Mighty. He can't necessarily lift as heavy objects as those other characters, but he can pack as hard a punch and then some, both because of his martial arts training and because of his knuckle spikes. He can also make good use of the fact that he is more lightweight than all of them.

Physically speaking, Mighty is all-around a very impressive Sonic character due to having both extremely good strength and speed, but he doesn't know how to make the best use of them, particularly in battle, as he never really learned how to handle himself in a fight because of his peaceful nature. At times he even comes across as a bit clumsy.

Not sure if this is a bit too weird, but inspired by the fact that Charmy is inexplicably called a "her" in the Chaotix theme and the fact that most bees are female, I think Charmy may be a female biologically who identifies as male. In bee society where he comes from, gender expectations are completely different due to the fact that almost everyone is female, so upon discovering that things were different in most of Mobian society (which was after that song was written and recorded, apparently), she didn't really want to be viewed by the standards of femininity that most non-Hymenopterans possess. He still wears some clothes as female Mobians do because he got used to them and likes them. If ever referred to as female, he would be more likely to be annoyed than truly offended, as maleness is more a way for him to help people understand that female bee feminine by other species' standards than something he considers truly intrinsic to his identity, but due to the nature of Mobian bee biology, no one can really tell his original sex anyway - he's never transitioned and never will in the future because it really isn't necessary.

Connected to the last one - most Mobian societies don't have a whole lot to do with the societies of non-anthropomorphic animals, but there are a few exceptions, both in the case of entire societies and small features within societies.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

inspired by the fact that Charmy is inexplicably called a "her" in the Chaotix theme

"Yeah, danger hides when the hyper bee flies".

"Yeah, Charmy's thing is dishing out first sting". 

Am I missing a lyric?

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

"Yeah, danger hides when the hyper bee flies".

"Yeah, Charmy's thing is dishing out first sting". 

Am I missing a lyric?

...oh you mean it's not "her sting"?

2 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

I think that maybe part of the reason why Knuckles is so easily fooled into believing Sonic is up to no good is that he desperately and stubbornly wants to believe that there was at least a modicum of truth to his initial suspicions about Sonic when he was tricked the first time, which honestly isn't that great of him considering Sonic is one of his best friends, but he has a prideful side of him that he has a hard time overcoming.

That definitely seems in character and logically,  Eggman was the first person he met.  Not only may he be untrusting of Sonic because of pride but just out of the mere fact that he really wants to trust the first person who ever reached out to him. Eggman was the first person he met... He was alone. Kinda like how abused people defend their abusers, he may very well be defending eggman in his mind.  Good thought :)

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Official lyrics say "first sting". I should know, I have a Heroes album with the lyrics in the booklet. :P

Oh...er...good thing I wasn't too attached to that headcanon then *headdesks*

In my defense, ten years ago, I read a Sonic sprite comic that seemed to indicate that the author thought Charmy was a girl. So it's totally understandable that I would be confused. Really.

2 hours ago, Knucklesgirl said:

That definitely seems in character and logically,  Eggman was the first person he met.  Not only may he be untrusting of Sonic because of pride but just out of the mere fact that he really wants to trust the first person who ever reached out to him. Eggman was the first person he met... He was alone. Kinda like how abused people defend their abusers, he may very well be defending eggman in his mind.  Good thought :)

Yeah, that's a really interesting take on it too. I remember once my sister was playing Sonic Adventure and speculated during the scene where he tricked Knuckles that maybe Knuckles doesn't truly consider Eggman his personal enemy; sometimes there doesn't seem to be as much direct hostility between the two as between Eggman and Sonic or Tails, and the fact that Knuckles trusts him weirdly often points to that too. I mean, obviously they're enemies to some extent, but if there was the same animosity between Knux and Eggman as there was between Sonic and Eggman, I don't think you'd see Knuckles be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt like he does. You'd think Knuckles would be all the more angry at Eggman considering he's been tricked by him so many times, but generally, it doesn't really seem that way. Except I think the manual for Sonic Riders Zero Gravity mentioned something about him being fed up with Eggman and not willing to be tricked again, but that sure took him a while, didn't it? :P The idea that Knuckles really wants to see the best in Eggman in particular seems to be strangely likely given the evidence.

• Thumbs Up 1

I got some food headcanons for various sonic characters!

Mighty loves various fruits and vegetables, he loves cooking with tofu though and enjoys having Miso soup every once and a while with Espio.

Bean loves spaghetti mainly because he can make a big mess with while eating.

Bark enjoys a good spicy hotpot especially if it's full of seafood.

Honey loves custard pudding and can't get enough of it. Cheesecake is another big weakness of hers.

Fang loves a good Sunday roast.

Tikal wishes she could try her grandmother's baked herb potatoes.

Illumina is said to have enjoyed making and eating Moon Cakes if she finds herself observing a dream where someone is cooking them.

Shade has developed a taste for rich stews.and curries. She doesn't like jelly though.

Ray loves a good pineapple juice. He's not a big fan of onions. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Blaze is okay with spicy food, She can even down the spiciest pepper!

In Sonic Boom, Shadow is secretly an ancient, and the reason why he's after Team Sonic is that he mistakes them to be the ancients that did something to his clan, (still unsure on what they did yet)

• Thumbs Up 3

-(Archie/Post-SGW) all but one of the Sonic Heroes levels are located across Northemar (the Sonic world equivilent of North America) the only one that isn't is Frog Forest, which is in Soumerca (South America).

• 3 months later...

This is some of my Sonic Headcanons (mostly limited to Sonic, but there are others too.)

• The Tornado was inherited to Sonic by his father.
  • Sonic does not like to talk about his past. (As it's irrelevant to him)
  • Knuckles is not literally the last echidna, he is just the last of his clan.
  • Sonic's superspeed and strength was given to him by the Chaos Emeralds. 
  • Sonic's hyper form is a last resort thing, because using it for too long will result in death by too much chaos energy. Fortunately though, there hasn't yet been a situation where he needs them as his Super form is enough most of the time. (Aside from doomsday.)
  • The Sol Dimension has a more medieval/steampunk look to it, as opposed to the modernized look of the Chaos Dimension. (Sonic's World.)
  • Sonic does not get along with the government at all. (Tensions between the two have increased drastically after SA2.)
  • Sonic's last name is Needlemouse. 
  • Westside Island and Angel Island used to be one giant island, but the two became separated for obvious reasons. 
  • Sonic is the only one who can properly use the Chaos Emeralds to their full potential. because he was destined to use them.
  • Sonic is not interested in romance or sex, he considers both of them as limiting. And he doesn't like to be limited or held back by anyone. Also, he is not patient enough for a relationship to work out. 
  • Tails is the only person Sonic truly cares about. Everyone else tends to either piss him off or just annoys him most of the time. (That doesn't mean he doesn't care about them though, he just puts Tails on a higher pedestal then his other friends.)
  • Humans originally did come from earth, but due to several catastrophic events there. They moved to a planet that has almost the same properties as earth, (gravity is a little lighter though.) Which is mobius. (Yes I went there.) They then encounter the mobians (Yes I also went there.) and soon engaged war with them, and for a long time, they were fighting in war with each other until two people from the different species proposed a peace deal between the two parties that would establish peace between the two species for life. Who are those two you might ask, a young Gerald Robotnik and Sonic's Grandfather that's who. (This is a bit out there admittedly, but I thought it would be interesting.)
  • The Tornado-1 from Unleashed was built using pieces from both the Tornado and the Tornado 2. And it's considered to be a combination of the two, as both have very different layouts. (The original tornado was faster but can suffer more damage, while the tornado 2 was more combat oriented. And can take out things that the original couldn't.)

And there's more where that came from

• Thumbs Up 1

Every Sonic continuity exists in one large multiverse. The Archie Sonic multiverse is a "sub-multiverse" within it, all of the Zone's located within were under the jurisdiction of the Zone Cops until they were wiped out by the Super Genesis Wave.

The Prime Zone depicted in the Archie Comics is NOT the definitive Prime Zone of the wider multiverse however, only of the sub-multiverse it calls home. It's not actually known which other continuity is the definitive Prime Zone of the whole thing (assuming there even is one).

Realities that other franchises take place in (Mario, Mega Man, the Sega and Capcom worlds) are not part of the Sonic multiverse. They exist in multiverses of their own, but have managed to cross over with the Sonic multiverse on several occassions.

Realities that are an amalgamation of various franchises (i.e. the Smash Bros. universe) exist on the borders of these different multiverses.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Every Sonic continuity exists in one large multiverse. The Archie Sonic multiverse is a "sub-multiverse" within it, all of the Zone's located within were under the jurisdiction of the Zone Cops until they were wiped out by the Super Genesis Wave.

The Prime Zone depicted in the Archie Comics is NOT the definitive Prime Zone of the wider multiverse however, only of the sub-multiverse it calls home. It's not actually known which other continuity is the definitive Prime Zone of the whole thing (assuming there even is one).

Realities that other franchises take place in (Mario, Mega Man, the Sega and Capcom worlds) are not part of the Sonic multiverse. They exist in multiverses of their own, but have managed to cross over with the Sonic multiverse on several occassions.

Realities that are an amalgamation of various franchises (i.e. the Smash Bros. universe) exist on the borders of these different multiverses.

I really like the idea of the different Sonic universes sharing a multiverse, with there being "sub-multiverses" when multiple universes appear in a single continuity - which would mean that there would be a fair few different multiverses, considering alternate universes have appeared in the games, Archie, Boom, Sonic the Comic, Underground, and probably other continuties for all I know.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the idea of "prime universes" in general, as I don't see why the universe the franchise happens to focus on necessarily has to be the "right" one, and it seems unfair to the residents of alternate universes to essentially treat them just as "shadows" of the "real world", so my headcanon would be that prime universes aren't a thing at all - even in the Archie continuity, I would imagine it's just a theoretical way of looking a things that may not be entirely accurate.

• Thumbs Up 1