Big Panda

Sonic Headcanons

Headcanon: The reason Infinite in-universe had such a limited use of the Phantom Ruby is not only because he wasn't it's master, but also because he's creatively sterile. The only time he's ever creative about something is when it involves being a sadist or bullying his enemies, hence why most of his creations involve weaponry or methods of intimidation, and even then he never really seems to be capable of doing any particularly creative methods of confusing or defeating enemies.

Tellingly it also extends to how he deals with the aftermath of his encounter with Shadow. Before then, he was a rough snarly bully type, sadistic but has connections to others. Afterwards, he starts basically acting like a pale imitation of Shadow, since Shadow is generally aloof, tends to fight alone, can be pretty intimidating, and while usually a terse talker who prefers to get to the point, can have moments where he speaks in a very flowery and dramatic manner (SA2 and 06). Infinite, being the kind of person he is mentioned above, naturally copies him but lacks any of the understanding or nuance behind Shadow's behavior, instead coming off as a poor-man's rip off of him.

Interestingly enough, it also parallels him to the Avatar, who has many of the same elements in his own backstory such as getting curbstomped by a powerful enemy, but how they go about things is quite different, especially in a creative sense. If Infinite is creatively sterile, then the Avatar is comparatively creative fertile, since not only can they have a wide variety of costumes and clothing choices, but they also have a wide variety of means to defeat their enemies via the Wispons, which despite being made from the same energies and species are varied in their method of dealing with fights. Comparatively, Infinite despite his name and having an artifact that could theoretically enable him to do just about anything is simply too creatively bankrupt and sadistic to use it for anything except as the Reality Warping version of a crude club, and he sticks with a straightforward clothing choice and doesn't ever vary it.

https://board.sonicstadium.org/profile/2255-seneddtor-missile/?status=932424&type=status

I kinda feel like the copyright joke in Colors would have worked better with Eggman. Like maybe Eggman notes that his Death Egg and Death Egg Robots (rename them to Egg Destroyers) are based on a parody of Star Wars (Galactic Battles?), Orbot/Cubot notes the potential for copyright infringement, and then Eggman makes the copyright joke.

https://board.sonicstadium.org/profile/2255-seneddtor-missile/?status=929957&type=status

I think a good personality for the Tails Doll would be that of an unintentionally creepy Minion with an F in Evil, who's basically defective. Basically he tries to be a good robot minion to Eggman (who also might want friends since most robots think he's a broken mess, while Eggman doesn't give a shit about him), but he's not particularly imposing and the only time he really freaks anyone out is only by accident, either by popping up at random in creepy locations, saying "Can You Feel the Sunshine" in an ominous tone without really understanding how creepy he sounds, or maybe he accidentally reveals that he has a Mangle-like machine skeleton (ala FNAF) underneath his doll covering, which scares the crap out of people without any intent on his part.

Though to be honest that makes him sound like Mimikyu.

https://board.sonicstadium.org/profile/2255-seneddtor-missile/?status=927142&type=status

Here’s my take on Snivelly as a hypothetical game character:

-His birth name is Snyder “Snivelly” Robotnik.

-He spent a lot of his early life with Julian Robotnik, Eggman’s Dad and young Ivo when he was a kid.

-Julian was abusive towards Snivelly and spoiled Ivo rotten, causing the former to be supremely resentful.

-Snivelly eventually had enough and sabotaged Julian’s project In his company, resulting in his untimely death (though he was an asshole so no one cared). Snivelly changed his name into Snyder Snidewell to avoid scrutiny.

-His life goal is to have a scientific legacy akin to Gerald Robotnik prior to the ARK incident, but he’s considered a second rate nobody by Robotnik standards, being smart but not a genius. This played a part in Julian’s abuse towards him and his own eventual resentment towards Eggman.

-He feels incredible anger towards GUNfor their role in killing Gerald and Maria, and for tarnishing the Robotnik family name, and he sees Eggman as a spoiled brat who never grew up, and who’s destroying the Robotnik family name even further with his world domination antics. As such, on top of his goal for leaving his own legacy behind, he also wants to wipe out both Eggman and GUN to erase the sins of the Robotnik family and restore their family honor.

-Eggman barely remembers who he is due to him being an asskissing toady to his Dad, but also because Snivelly was so boring that he honestly forgot he existed. This pisses off Snivelly even more especially considering he finds it unfair that Eggman inherited the intellect he wants, yet squanders it on what he sees as frivolous.

Thoughts?

https://board.sonicstadium.org/profile/2255-seneddtor-missile/?status=926908&type=status

Random thought: Some part of me wanted Orbot to still be named SA-55, and Cubot to be called B4-K4 or something like that, because in-universe it was intended to be B4-CK (backsass), but somehow ended up spelling Baka (Japanese for idiot), making the naming both a bad pun and a joke at the same time.

https://board.sonicstadium.org/profile/2255-seneddtor-missile/?status=929640&type=status

If there's one character dynamic that I've found to be severely underutilized, it's Sonic and Omega. I've truthfully believed that Sonic (at least his game counterpart, not so sure about his Boom counterpart) at least has a bit of Fantastic Racism against sentient robots, especially Eggman built robots. The only time he's willing to give robots a chance is only if someone vouches for them or they prove to be not evil, like Amy vouching for Gamma.

It would honestly be an interesting dynamic for him to be around Omega, considering that while Omega is certainly against Eggman, he's still a violent and belligerently homicidal war machine who doesn't really have much liking for anyone other than Team Dark. The fact that he was a former Eggman robot and is still like this would actually create some interesting tension between him and the robot-wary Sonic.

https://board.sonicstadium.org/profile/2255-seneddtor-missile/?status=926535&type=status

I've always felt that one overlooked aspect of Shadow's character (or at least something that I think could be a character trait) is that he's likely been given a decent amount of intelligence by Gerald, but he's also the most emotionally stunted and possibly far less emotionally mature considering that he technically only lived for a short period of time before the traumatizing events on the ARK. I kinda feel like it's a bit of a wasted opportunity that this aspect of his character was never put into consideration for exploration, of an emotionally stunted person with far more intelligence than average trying to do what he believes is right, but due to his own cynicism and lack of proper role models for the short time he's existed (again not including his time in stasis), ends up having serious deficiencies when it comes to dealing with emotional situations or anything that requires a more nuanced method of action, despite being able to intellectually understand the gray areas of morality. And he ultimately covers this up with stoicism and/or snarkiness and occasional dickishness.

https://board.sonicstadium.org/profile/2255-seneddtor-missile/?status=926512&type=status

Frankly speaking in regards to Forces, while I do think Eggman himself would find the idea of intentionally torturing Sonic to be too personal and messy for someone like himself (since he no doubt considers himself too sophisticated and above that sort of thing, and he would probably prefer to torment Sonic psychologically via showing the world being conquered and taunting Sonic about his failure), I do actually think that INFINITE would probably be a more likely candidate to resort to torture, considering his sadism and it could tie in with his background as a mercenary. Plus just because Eggman doesn't like the idea of torture doesn't mean that he cares if someone ELSE does the torturing.

https://board.sonicstadium.org/profile/2255-seneddtor-missile/?status=926196&type=status

Minor headcanon: I’d like to think that in some alternate universe, Rotor the Walrus is the oldest son of Lady Walrus from Sonic Boom, but he left home to pursue his dream of engineering because he found her too overbearing and snobbish in her wealth. Her somewhat lax behavior with Chumley is because she feels she was too strict, but swung too far in the other direction by being too inattentive and lax.

https://board.sonicstadium.org/profile/2255-seneddtor-missile/?status=925900&type=status

Metal Sonic in Sonic Heroes is one of those things that I think really was a bit of a wasted opportunity, at least thematically. The implication that he wants to be someone better/different than Sonic is a pretty typical thing for clones/mechanical copies, but add in the fact that he was absorbing data of other life forms, could be interpreted as him trying to develop himself into someone different, but he's too creatively sterile and unable to change without assimilating or just copying what others do without necessarily understanding what those differences mean, hence playing a part in his ultimate madness.

https://board.sonicstadium.org/profile/2255-seneddtor-missile/?status=921993&type=status

Reaction: In an alternate universe, Infinite gets a chunk of his face burned off due to a slightly misaimed Chaos Spear from his battle with Shadow, leaving him writhing in agony as Shadow more or less doesn't give a damn/doesn't notice due to something else coming up and leaves. Then Infinite gets up, both humiliated and in extreme pain and swears vengeance in extreme rage. Also explains why Infinite's helmet only covers one eye; his burned face damaged his eye, leaving the way he is.

https://board.sonicstadium.org/profile/2255-seneddtor-missile/?status=921817&type=status

I have a lot of free time.

46 minutes ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Metal Sonic in Sonic Heroes is one of those things that I think really was a bit of a wasted opportunity,

Given how much of a hard time I give classic Metal Sonic for being silent bodyguard-bot, I liked Neo Metal because it was the first time Metal's ever displayed a genuine personality (game-wise at least).

Incompetent Tails Doll.

All I can think about is how well he would of fit right in with the SSSS Squad. xD

Speaking of wasted character threads, and Shadow, I've always lamented that he's never had any major interactions with Amy following his space dive. I feel like they should be on better terms then they are, or maybe not... she did (unwittingly) talk him into martyrdom after all. Point is there's an interesting character beat right there that's never had any kind of follow up or closer.

12 hours ago, Cuz said:

Speaking of wasted character threads, and Shadow, I've always lamented that he's never had any major interactions with Amy following his space dive. I feel like they should be on better terms then they are, or maybe not... she did (unwittingly) talk him into martyrdom after all. Point is there's an interesting character beat right there that's never had any kind of follow up or closer.

It's a SEGA mandate that Amy can't have meaningful interactions with anyone

18 hours ago, Scape said:

I know this is meant as a none serious jab, but I'm gonna give a serious defense just because.

Pairing her with Silver and Elise in '06 was a good example of how she can be a positive influence to characters like Shadow during his amnesia-idled indecision.

On 9/3/2018 at 12:51 AM, Polkadi~♪ said:

I have the belief that Blaze is at least 16 years of age, if not 17.

As it is, when compared to other Sonic characters of that age, 14 does NOT seem like Blaze's age, yet that's how old she is. It's ridiculous.

Eh, some people can seem far younger or far older than they actually are during the broad interactions.

I agree that Blaze does seem like she really should be older, though.

On 9/3/2018 at 3:23 AM, Scape said:

...Can't tell if you're being serious or not.

On 9/3/2018 at 5:51 AM, Polkadi~♪ said:

I have the belief that Blaze is at least 16 years of age, if not 17.

As it is, when compared to other Sonic characters of that age, 14 does NOT seem like Blaze's age, yet that's how old she is. It's ridiculous.

My stance on the characters' ages is just that none of them really make sense or work. None of the characters act their age at all. Cream, Charmy and Tails are all children, but they can't be likened to a specific age. Vector and Rouge and probably older than most of the rest of the cast, but again specific ages are difficult to come to. 

You kinda just have to ignore the official ages. It's not exactly like they matter anyway.

I really don't think it's hard to say Sonic characters are just more mature due to their circumstances. They don't act that far out of their age ranges for the canon ages to be implausible imo

Blaze is simply royalty and had to accept responsibility at a young age.

4 hours ago, Wraith said:

I really don't think it's hard to say Sonic characters are just more mature due to their circumstances. They don't act that far out of their age ranges for the canon ages to be implausible imo

Nah, definitely disagree on that. They're so far removed from realism in terms of the world that they live in and the powers/abilities that they have that attempting to draw any connection to real-world ages just seems unnecessary at best and random at worst. The ages are official, but I guess my headcanon is just to ignore them and take their ages as broad strokes.

5 hours ago, Wraith said:

That would debatably further explain some of her emotional issues under more inward aimed pressure.

4 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Nah, definitely disagree on that. They're so far removed from realism in terms of the world that they live in and the powers/abilities that they have that attempting to draw any connection to real-world ages just seems unnecessary at best and random at worst. The ages are official, but I guess my headcanon is just to ignore them and take their ages as broad strokes.

The fact that they're far removed from the real world would make their ages easier to accept if anything, lol. I just never got why this has been so hard to comprehend for many.

21 minutes ago, Wraith said:

The fact that they're far removed from the real world would make their ages easier to accept if anything, lol. I just never got why this has been so hard to comprehend for many.

That's kinda the thing with works that feature predominantly teenage and adolescent main casts--there's only so much wiggle room before you get Chad.

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

Lol, I look at it the exact same way to say that the ages are so totally arbitrary, thus making it harder to accept that anyone would bother to give them ages in the first place.

Japan is way more obsessed with vital statistics than Western media, from what I've seen. That results in stuff like Mario of all characters having their height and age confirmed but there being nothing like that for Crash or Spyro. Heck,the Overwatch cast haves ages but not any other basic statistics. 

25 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I’m honestly kind of surprised that we don’t know the characters blood types, since that seems to be a thing in a lot of Japanese character profiles.

Do game!(and presumably IDW) Mobians even have blood as humans would understand it? 

20 hours ago, Scape said:

Classic Amy would recognize Team Hooligan

This one spawned a head cannon where Amy's Rosy the Rascal nickname came from her being a junior member of the Hooligans before her trip to Little Planet in Sonic CD. I can already see Fang taking advantage of Amy's knack for fortune telling to plan his next gig.

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

I believe there's a rule where even though Amy's a hedgehog she can't have a story that revolves around her.   

When I said "It's a SEGA mandate that Amy can't have meaningful interactions with anyone" I was obviously joking. Of course there could be a story that revolves around her if the writers have an ounce of creativity. I think what you're referring to is that she can't have a Super Form.

Just now, Scape said:

When I said "It's a SEGA mandate that Amy can't have meaningful interactions with anyone" I was obviously joking. Of course there could be a story that revolves around her if the writers have an ounce of creativity. I think what you're referring to is that she can't have a Super Form.

I wasn't talking about your post, I'm annoyed plots and story don't use Amy like the other hedgehogs and both Sonic & Shadow didn't go super in Forces at the end of their stories.

On 9/3/2018 at 2:02 AM, Cuz said:

Given how much of a hard time I give classic Metal Sonic for being silent bodyguard-bot, I liked Neo Metal because it was the first time Metal's ever displayed a genuine personality (game-wise at least).

All I can think about is how well he would of fit right in with the SSSS Squad. xD

Yeah Amy and pretty much anyone who isn't fucking Sonic is wasted potential out of the ass. They only write the girl for the sole purpose of orbiting Sonic.. not even Tails & Knuckles get the same treatment.

17 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

My stance on the characters' ages is just that none of them really make sense or work. None of the characters act their age at all. Cream, Charmy and Tails are all children, but they can't be likened to a specific age. Vector and Rouge and probably older than most of the rest of the cast, but again specific ages are difficult to come to. 

You kinda just have to ignore the official ages. It's not exactly like they matter anyway.

Honestly (Save for Cream and Charmy) I just ignore the ages we're given. Sonic feels more like he's in his mid to late 20's than 15 or 16 to me more often than not. 

Like Charmy is clearly a little kid with his hyperactivity and Cream is obviously 5. But everyone else does not feel the ages they're given to me. 

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Honestly (Save for Cream and Charmy) I just ignore the ages we're given. Sonic feels more like he's in his mid to late 20's than 15 or 16 to me more often than not. 

Like Charmy is clearly a little kid with his hyperactivity and Cream is obviously 5. But everyone else does not feel the ages they're given to me. 

Actually, both are 6.

8 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I’m honestly kind of surprised that we don’t know the characters blood types, since that seems to be a thing in a lot of Japanese character profiles.

That's because blood types are used like horoscopes over there.