Awoo.

Sonic Headcanons

Big Panda

I've always imagined Eggman had some superhuman capability but I never really thought about why. It's something he surprises everyone including himself with when he's worked up about something(like when he's running away from Sonic in Death Egg Zone lmao).

The robotnik family line inexplicably being really strong is funny, I like that idea.

• Promotion 2

2 hours ago, Dr. Mechano said:

With a second controller, Maria is playable in Shadow the Hedgehog. She has a slap attack when playable, and is capable of destroying huge crates with her bare hands.

Eggman, meanwhile, has been seen punching down walls in Lost World and even sending cars flying with his fists in Riders. He also shrugs off being sucked into the Eggmobile's propeller in Mania like it's no big deal.

Ergo, my Sonic headcanon is that the Robotniks just have superhuman strength for some reason. Maybe Gerald's experiments have something to do with this.

Eggman slapping away cars was pretty hardcore if you ask me.

UKGE3nD.gif

Don't forget that he's also shown lifting 16 tons in official art:

AbpQZmd.png

And has enough strength to carry the weight of his Egg Walker Mech in SA2 one-handed when using the pulleys.

1 hour ago, Razule said:

Maybe Gerald's DNA is the real reason Shadow is as strong as he is.

Lifting and throwing multiple tons isn't all that special. We've seen Tails move around 10 ton weights in Tails' Sky Patrol and we've seen the combined strength of Sonic, Tails, Amy and Knuckles stop the Riot Train (the massive freight train) in Sonic Shuffle in order to stop it from going over the cliff after getting the last Precious Stone:

2DyM03w.jpg?1

• Promotion 1

6 minutes ago, MainJP said:

Eggman slapping away cars was pretty hardcore if you ask me.

UKGE3nD.gif

Nevermind cars--how about trains in Zero Gravity?

• Promotion 1

28 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Megalo Station.

I know they can punch a small train in Metal City (WAY smaller than the  Riot Train I mentioned):

But I can't find any footage of that in Megalo Station. Just cars.

17 hours ago, Dr. Mechano said:

With a second controller, Maria is playable in Shadow the Hedgehog. She has a slap attack when playable, and is capable of destroying huge crates with her bare hands.

Eggman, meanwhile, has been seen punching down walls in Lost World and even sending cars flying with his fists in Riders. He also shrugs off being sucked into the Eggmobile's propeller in Mania like it's no big deal.

Ergo, my Sonic headcanon is that the Robotniks just have superhuman strength for some reason. Maybe Gerald's experiments have something to do with this.

The Robotnik Lineage has supernatural physicality and intellect at the price of either mental stability or physical health. It's a blessing and a curse. 

• Promotion 1

• 2 weeks later...

Silver being a psychic has some precognitive abilities along with his telekinesis which makes him able to sense when particularly bad things happen during different eras of time.

Then he just uses chaos control to go back in time and help Sonic and his friends (or whoever depending on the time period he travels to) with the current threat if he feels his help is needed.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Strong Guy said:

Silver being a psychic has some precognitive abilities along with his telekinesis which makes him able to sense when particularly bad things happen during different eras of time.

Then he just uses chaos control to go back in time and help Sonic and his friends (or whoever depending on the time period he travels to) with the current threat if he feels his help is needed.

Team Sonic Racing more or less makes that canon.

Also, Chronos Control.

• 1 month later...

The Egg Pawn Racers in TSR were using sundry other characters who were snubbed from the roster as organic batteries.

Oh boy, I have a bunch of implausible dumb headcanons to share, glad I found this thread!

On 10/6/2019 at 2:05 AM, Dr. Mechano said:

1. Expanding on this, all the non-realistic "humans" seen in Sonic, such as Eggman, Professor Pickle and the GUN soldiers are actually Homo Segadus, a human like species or human subspecies with supernatural physical ability, explaining Eggman's strength in Riders and Lost World and the durablitiy that many of them show, in addition to them being able to casually travel throughout the unique geometry of Sonic's world such as loops and springs. (Kind like Mario who is Homo Nintendonus and has superhuman abilities)

2. Sonic's world is actually officially named Mobius, but it contains both Homo Segadus (seen in the Adventure games) and Mobians (seen in Forces) along with other miscallenous creatures like Chaos and Animal Friends. It is occasionally referred to as Earth, but it's not actually named that. (Earth means ground too, so they might as well call the planet that, I mean why did we name our planet Earth anyway, it's just a name)

3. Eggman originally just wanted to be a great scientist that would do a lot of great things for humanity and science as a whole, inspired by his grandfather. But after seeing what the world did to his grandpa for being a genius, something snapped within him, he figured that the world would reject his own intellect and kill him as well and thus deciced to take over and change the system to MAKE the world love him and get revenge and justice for his grandfather's execution, eventually twisting his desire for being a great scientist into the megalomania we see today. This fanfic illustrates it wonderfully:  https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4938123/1/Little-Ivo

4. Miles Prower's parents Mr and Mrs Prower were scientists involved with Project Shadow and they sent a baby Tails to their home planet (in cryofreeze like Shadow which explains his young age, he probably awoke alone in Westside Island and adapted to life there) to keep him safe as they felt it wasn't safe to be on the Ark with the Black Arms dealings happening. They planned to quit Project Shadow and come back to Earth to raise their son after things started getting too suspicious, but then the crackdown happened. and they were killed. Tails doesn't know of this, but wouldn't really hold too much of a grudge and want revenge like Shadow if he ever did. Though he would be saddened and somewhat bitter both about his parents being killed and them choosing their work over their child. (They could have left Project Shadow as soon as the Black Arms stuff happened and raised Tails, but they chose to stay and decided to leave too late), however he'd quickly get over it and forgive his parents, possibly hoping to see them again in the afterlife or something. He'd not hate the current GUN either as it has dramatically changed since the dark days of slaughtering a space colony's population to cover up an illegal project and if confronted, the commander would genuinely apologize to Tails on behalf of his predecessors. He'd also not hate those who participate in the GUN Massacre either, since practically all of them are traumatized or depressed like Maria's killer seen in Sonic X. (the bit about GUN explained further in another headcanon)

5. The Hedgehog isn't a proper surname. Sonic's real name is Sonic Needlemouse, but neither he nor his friends know that since his parents died or otherwise disappeared when he was a baby and he grew up mostly alone on Christmas Island with Animal Friends to keep him company before he left in search of adventure. His origins besides his real surname however, is still a mystery. He's probably go by Sonic The Hedgehog even if he knew about his real name anyways though since he'd think his past doesn't matter and he'd prefer to look forward instead.

6. In the same vein, Shadow's surname isn't The Hedgehog either. His proper name would be either Shadow Doom (fittingly edgy) going by his birth father or Shadow Robotnik going by his "adoptive father", Gerald. But he obviously doesn't identify with them being his family so going by Shadow The Hedgehog is fine by him.

7. Finally, Silver's surname is also not The Hedgehog, but his future is most likely a death-filled wasteland post-retcon too, so his parents probably died when he was a baby and all traces of his past and origins were thoroughly destroyed (maybe he was a sole survivor of a disaster thanks to his powers) so there's no way to know what his real name ever was. As far as he's concerned, he's Silver The Hedgehog and that's that.

8. G.U.N used to be a lot more totalitarian and immoral back in the days of the ARK Genocide, with the leaders being obsessed with maintaining control over the world and keeping the people safe and blissful (much like the Dai Li from Avatar). However, eventually GUN started becoming less evil and eventually turned over to a mostly benevolent form of government after Tower (the current commander) took over. As he saw firsthand what GUN was responsible for, he put all his effort into making sure GUN never went back to their old ways and became an organization dedicated to protecting the world and its people instead of controlling them. He still held a grudge against Shadow and the Black Arms however but after the events of Shadow The Hedgehog any bad blood faded away, and by the time of Sonic 06 and onwards, GUN had become fully dedicated to its new purpose of protecting the world instead of conspirating to control it, as seen by its efforts to halt the Mephiles situation with Team Dark's cooperation and focusing on saving Rouge first instead of trying to secure the artifacts for themselves and dismissing Rouge as expendable.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/2/2019 at 8:33 PM, Dr. Mechano said:

Eh. Could be that we're only seeing the "good side," if I may borrow from Iizuka's explanation about the moon.

EDIT: Wait, the world map, augh, nevermind.

To be fair, Angel Island isn’t shown in the game AT ALL, so perhaps it did end up in space for good. Or the 360/PS3 version isn’t canon.  Also, there are three Shadows. Gerald’s backup copy, who died in Adventure 2, the real one who we saw from Heroes to 06, who later sealed himself away, and an Android who’s been seen since Generations.

(1)   Sonic has a long-term objective beyond just thwarting Eggman, or responding to trouble that appears in front of his face — Sonic is a freedom fighter.  This isn't a structured organization like the SatAM Freedom Fighters — it's simply how Sonic frames his purpose in his mind. He loves the freedom that his speed abilities give him, and he has a righteous anger when he sees freedom is being taken away from others — in this case by Eggman taking advantage of the small, weak woodland critters to power his machines. 

In other words, Eggman is Sonic's most frequent enemy because he's the one most frequently taking freedom away from defenseless creatures... but even when Eggman is down and gone, Sonic is not sitting around waiting for his return. He's proactively looking to help rescue his fellow animals when they need it, whether it's dramatic or not (like helping a confused chicken cross a street).

(2)  Angel Island is virtually uninhabited aside from Knuckles, and it's been that way since the Ancient Echidnas were wiped out by Chaos, prior to the creation of the Master Emerald... once Angel Island became a floating island, it basically went "off the map."

Nobody knows Angel Island exists. There are stories about "a floating island" but it seems simply like a legend. Sonic & Tails & Eggman know about it because they had their S3&K adventure there. The wider world becomes more aware of it when it crash lands into the Mystic Ruins in SA1, but once Angel Island returns to the sky, it again goes "off the map." It's like the Bermuda Triangle, where you know the legend but it doesn't seem like a real destination you could find.

Knuckles has a psychic link to the Master Emerald, and is able to "see" from the M.E.'s perspective in his mind's eye. This allows him to "guard' the Emerald even when he is not physically beside it. And since almost nobody knows about Angel Island or the Master Emerald, Knuckles is able to leave and spend time on Earth below with Sonic & everyone else without abdicating his responsibilities. 

(3)  Knuckles is able to teleport to the Master Emerald at will.  This makes it easy for him to come and go from Angel Island, while still keeping the location of the floating island a mystery to everyone else. 

(4) Amy Rose is Sonic's sister.  She loves and adores him and looks up to him, and he thinks her affection is annoying and off-putting. She wants to join him on adventures and he doesn't want her to, because she could get hurt or kidnapped. 

(5) Amy & Tails have the "will they, won't they?" romantic story beats. They both are big fans of Sonic, which is their initial bonding point, but as they get to know each other more, Amy and Tails both begin to appreciate their own abilities more, and each other's.  Amy's piko piko hammer is a gift that Tails made for her — "If you're gonna go after Eggman, you should take this. Don't tell Sonic I did this for you!"   

(6) This one isn't "headcanon" as much as "what I'd do if I were in charge of developing Sonic Mania 2" — You'd have three play-styles.

—Sonic, emphasizing running, dashing, jumping

—Knuckles, emphasizing climbing

—Amy & Tails / Tails & Amy — emphasizing puzzle-solving and teamwork — one follows the other, you can switch between the two, and need to use Tails flying, or Amy's hammer, or a combination of the two in order to access certain areas.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Prince the Cat said:

(3)  Knuckles is able to teleport to the Master Emerald at will.  This makes it easy for him to come and go from Angel Island, while still keeping the location of the floating island a mystery to everyone else. 

Several pieces of evidence to the contrary exist on that one. Why didn’t Knuckles simply teleport to the emerald after Eggman made off with it in S3&K? Why did Knuckles need to actively hunt for the emerald pieces in the Adventure games instead of theoretically teleporting to each of their exact locations?

9 hours ago, Prince the Cat said:

(4) Amy Rose is Sonic's sister.

...wut?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Panda Claus said:

Several pieces of evidence to the contrary exist on that one. Why didn’t Knuckles simply teleport to the emerald after Eggman made off with it in S3&K? Why did Knuckles need to actively hunt for the emerald pieces in the Adventure games instead of theoretically teleporting to each of their exact locations?

...wut?

Well since these are my headcanons I can provide explanations.

1) Maybe the teleportation is only possible when the Master Emerald is in the Hidden Palace shrine, at full power lifting Angel Island in the sky. So after the Emerald is disturbed, or shattered, teleportation wouldn't be possible... but Knuckles still has the connection to it, hence his radar sense. 

Tikal has a more advanced teleportation in Adventure, but a rougher version of the same basic power could be applied to Knuckles.

2) To answer your "wut?" -- Well, to me, Sonic & Amy are not an "OTP" couple... the unrequited romance dynamic doesn't do much beyond the initial gag to serve the characters.  The best aspect of the dynamic they have — she admires him, he's dismissive but protective, they're lifelong friends — is more sibling-like than it is reminiscent of a potential romantic relationship. 

Amy Rose has a kid sister vibe, that's been part of her character since day one and throughout. So I don't think you lose anything if you remove "Amy's in love with Sonic" and replace it with "Amy loves her big brother Sonic." Maybe others disagree. I like Amy Rose as a character a lot, and I think simply making the Hedgehogs as siblings makes everything simpler. It's a subtle change, but it empowers Amy to be her best characters and not fall into "clingy stalker girlfriend" tropes. That's an angle I've never found especially appealing.

If there were to be a romantic angle, I would position Blaze the Cat as a potential partner for Sonic... but just in a flirty way, like Batman/Catwoman. In other words, I would give Sonic an equal — and Amy is not really his equal. So just make the status clear: she's the kid sister who tags along. 

46 minutes ago, Prince the Cat said:

2) To answer your "wut?" -- Well, to me, Sonic & Amy are not an "OTP" couple... the unrequited romance dynamic doesn't do much beyond the initial gag to serve the characters.  The best aspect of the dynamic they have — she admires him, he's dismissive but protective, they're lifelong friends — is more sibling-like than it is reminiscent of a potential romantic relationship. 

Amy Rose has a kid sister vibe, that's been part of her character since day one and throughout. So I don't think you lose anything if you remove "Amy's in love with Sonic" and replace it with "Amy loves her big brother Sonic." Maybe others disagree. I like Amy Rose as a character a lot, and I think simply making the Hedgehogs as siblings makes everything simpler. It's a subtle change, but it empowers Amy to be her best characters and not fall into "clingy stalker girlfriend" tropes. That's an angle I've never found especially appealing.

Sonic and Amy are not siblings. Amy thinks of Sonic romantically. This is blatantly shown multiple times. They’ve been on dates together. She wants to marry the guy.

2 minutes ago, Panda Claus said:

Sonic and Amy are not siblings. Amy thinks of Sonic romantically. This is blatantly shown multiple times. They’ve been on dates together. She wants to marry the guy.

Right. I'm not disputing the canon, lol. There's not really a debate on that aspect of it, you're just misunderstanding me, or I'm not articulating it well enough.

I'm talking about my headcanon, or more of a pitch on how I would retcon/realign/streamline the relationships to allow for the best versions of the characters. 

In the main games, there's not much you even need to ignore or re-contextualize to make it work — Amy is clearly obsessed with Sonic and loves him, but there aren't a ton of examples of literalizing it in any form. I can't recall off the top of my head any examples of Sonic or Amy dating, holding hands, or even suggesting labels like boyfriend/girlfriend/date/wedding. The joke is Sonic is too cool for a fangirl's infatuations, so it's a one-sided affair until Metal Sonic kidnaps her and Sonic sets out to rescue her. After Sonic CD and then some small scattered examples since Adventure, Amy's infatuation with Sonic has been downplayed to the point of being vestigial and unnecessary. Amy's arc is she's not taken seriously, then ends up leading a Resistance force — maybe even just call them Freedom Fighters, since modern Amy is increasingly like Sally Acorn minus the princess angle... and less of a romantic story with Sonic. Which is fine. YMMV, especially if you ship Amy and Sonic, but to me there's not a lot to the idea of them as a couple. It seems pointless. Their dynamic is more fun and playful if they can make fun of each other, like siblings. I don't think "romantically longing for Sonic" is better than "loves Sonic like a brother." The latter option gives her more of an independence and simultaneously a closer connection, and gives a fresh shake to Sonic/Amy/Tails/Knuckles dynamic.

There could be a debate on this, though — what are Amy's core traits? What is essential to her character? 

17 minutes ago, Prince the Cat said:

I'm talking about my headcanon, or more of a pitch on how I would retcon/realign/streamline the relationships to allow for the best versions of the characters. 

That’s not what a headcanon is.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Prince the Cat said:

There could be a debate on this, though — what are Amy's core traits? What is essential to her character? 

1 minute ago, Panda Claus said:

Hm...were there threads that were closer to these ideas? And/or could there be a new one?

9 hours ago, Panda Claus said:

Well aren't we having a great conversation. Thanks for contributing.

Edit — 

Also, Panda Claus, hold up a second... what do you think headcanon is? Break down the etymology. Whose head? My head. What is canon? Canon is a standard, a set of rules. This is my version of the status quo rules. For short, you might call it headcanon. 

Curious to your thought process on your tone in our exchange. What's up here? Instead of adding conversational value, your aim was to... prove me wrong? Prove how this imaginary version of an imaginary thing is "Um Actually, Wrong"?

Like, you see how that's rude, right?

Don't get mixed up. It's fine. I'm cool, but maybe in the future you could be a bit more mindful about what you're getting out of acting like a cop on a Sonic message board. 

5 hours ago, Prince the Cat said:

I can't recall off the top of my head any examples of Sonic or Amy dating, holding hands, or even suggesting labels

Heroes, Unleashed, Black Knight, Chronicles...

4 hours ago, thumbs13 said:

Heroes, Unleashed, Black Knight, Chronicles...

Ah, well there you have it, I've only played a bit of each of those games and didn't finish any of them. Do you think those games made you more invested in Amy's crush on Sonic, like does it more emotionally ground or set that in stone for you? Genuinely wondering, I don't know. I know people ship everybody and I'm sure a lot of people do with Sonic and Amy but, to me... having not seen the examples cited, "Amy has an unrequited crush on Sonic" doesn't strike me as a better explanation than "Amy is Sonic's sister" to the question of "why is this character here, how are they connected to the story?" It's not better, it's just what it is, what it's been.

I don't think it's likely to become a retcon for any actual Sonic media, but it wouldn't be hard to make it work — they find out about their mysterious childhood, or something comes from the past, whatever — there's a revelation and they reckon with it. It's the Luke and Leia retcon. 

In that imaginary headcanon story, I think I'd just make the four Hedgehogs related. I like the theory that the "Ultimate Life Form" that Dr. Gerald discovered — aka creating Shadow — it wasn't foretelling the coming of Sonic a generation later, he was created using a sliver of Sonic's DNA and Dr. Gerald used the mysterious blue quill to clone-engineer Shadow as the Ultimate Life Form.

How does Dr. Gerald get a Sonic sliver? Silver the Hedgehog, the time-traveling descendent/long-distance-nephew from the future... it was a butterfly effect situation. 

Silver, Sonic, and Blaze were on an adventure, warping across dimensions and times through warp rings / Sol Emeralds / Chaos Control...  As they're passing through, a close shave with an enemy leaves behind a Sonic quill in Gerald's lab, who then reverse-engineer clones Shadow.

"The Hedgehogs are all related" just adds some definition to what's already there, gives it some cohesion. Shadow is the evil twin. Silver feels like a cousin, so call him cousin — even though he's actually a distant descendent from X amount of years in the future, he's actually a greatrgreatgeatgreatgreatgrandchild, but cousin would be how they think of each other. Maybe it already is? I don't know Silver very well.

Knuckles' backstory also makes answering "why is he here" more cumbersome than it needs to be, which is why IMO it makes sense to assume he has a unique Chaos Control teleportation/connection with the Master Emerald. 

Eggman wore a red cardigan as a child.

Knuckles likes digging to clear his head/take his mind off things.

Sonic is finicky about his quills looking "cool."

• Thumbs Up 1