Awoo.

Sonic Headcanons

Big Panda

A much smaller one compared to the massive unload from last time:

A Mobian Hedgehog or Echidna's  (or any other animal with quills) quills can "harden" or "soften" whenever the owner wants them to. Hardening them turns them into sharp rigid spikes that can stab things, the hardening process causes them to stick out suddenly which can be used for attack (Like Sonic's up throw in Smash). If softened, they are wavy and soft and act much like slightly rigid human hair. They are soft by default and hardening requires a teeny bit of exertion, like clenching a fist. Also, the quills are not essential body parts and the owner doesn't feel pain if they're harmed. They also grow to a certain length if they're not cut. Amy cuts hers short, but kept them at natural length when she was younger (her Classic design). Sonic, Silver, Shadow, Knuckles and most others keep them at full natural length.

• Fist Bump 1

7 hours ago, Prince the Cat said:

Ah, well there you have it, I've only played a bit of each of those games and didn't finish any of them. Do you think those games made you more invested in Amy's crush on Sonic, like does it more emotionally ground or set that in stone for you? Genuinely wondering, I don't know. I know people ship everybody and I'm sure a lot of people do with Sonic and Amy but, to me... having not seen the examples cited, "Amy has an unrequited crush on Sonic" doesn't strike me as a better explanation than "Amy is Sonic's sister" to the question of "why is this character here, how are they connected to the story?" It's not better, it's just what it is, what it's been.

I mean, yeah. Up until Lost World's weird retcon, Amy and Sonic could have potentially gone somewhere. Anyway, while both aren't bad explanations for Amy's existance, Amy's love for Sonic is understandable and is based off stuff we already know. We know how they met via CD.

Amy being Sonic's long lost sibling could work under a reboot of the franchise or like in one of the cartoons, but it doesn't mesh at all with the games.

@Prince the Cat I’m sorry if I came off in that way. I assure that was not my intention.

What I’m trying to say is: headcanon is a belief you have for a story that’s based on what there is available to us within the source material.

Let’s look at your original post for some examples:

“Knuckles has a psychic link to the Master Emerald and is able to “see” from the M.E.’s perspective in his minds eye”

This is a perfectly reasonable headcanon to have. It’s been demonstrated within established canon that Knuckles is able to “sense” the Master Emerald’s shards when he goes looking for them, ergo it would make perfect sense for him to have some sort of psychic connection to the full gem itself. This headcanon essentially “fills in a blank” by explaining what you believe said connection actually is.

On the other hand; believing that Sonic and Amy are siblings or that they have some kind of sibling-type relationship.

That goes against just about every piece of established canon. Amy clearly thinks of Sonic romantically. She’s repeatedly voiced her desire to marry him some day, they’ve been on dates before. Hell, in Sonic Chronicles, Sonic will flat out admit that he secretly feels the same way about her if the right conversation path is taken.

The way you worded your original headcanon made it sound as if this is what you believe to be the case within established canon, without any implication that “this is my own complete reimagining of the Sonic universe” or that it’s an AU headcanon.

If we’re looking at other established Sonic continuities, the only place the “Sonic and Amy are brother/sister” theory could work would be in the Fleetway Sonic the Comic continuity. It’s the only real continuity out there in which the two of them are not explicitly romantically linked. It could even work in continuities where Amy is never introduced (random example: “Amy exists in the OVA universe, where she is Sonic’s little sister”). But, again, you didn’t specify :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Knuckles’ favorite Chaos Emerald is the purple one because he likes grapes and imagines it has a grape flavor. When playing Pumpkin Hill it is appropriate to change the lyrics to

”I know that it’s here / I sense it in my feet / the grape Emerald’s power allows me to feel”

• Thumbs Up 1

Shadow's unique ability to use Chaos Control without a Chaos Emerald, in addition to his other Chaos Powers  (Spear, Blast etc) are inherited from Black Doom. The "Chaos Colntrol without an Emerald" bit though did not come to him right away. While Black Doom mastered this particular ability through many, many years of practice to gain the focus needed, Shadow himself mastered it thanks to his memory of Maria (as he explained in Sonic Battle) or more accurately his determination to keep that promise gave him the focus he needed to master drawing on his own Chaos energy.

On 12/10/2019 at 8:33 AM, Panda Claus said:

@Prince the Cat I’m sorry if I came off in that way. I assure that was not my intention.

What I’m trying to say is: headcanon is a belief you have for a story that’s based on what there is available to us within the source material.

Let’s look at your original post for some examples:

“Knuckles has a psychic link to the Master Emerald and is able to “see” from the M.E.’s perspective in his minds eye”

This is a perfectly reasonable headcanon to have. It’s been demonstrated within established canon that Knuckles is able to “sense” the Master Emerald’s shards when he goes looking for them, ergo it would make perfect sense for him to have some sort of psychic connection to the full gem itself. This headcanon essentially “fills in a blank” by explaining what you believe said connection actually is.

On the other hand; believing that Sonic and Amy are siblings or that they have some kind of sibling-type relationship.

That goes against just about every piece of established canon. Amy clearly thinks of Sonic romantically. She’s repeatedly voiced her desire to marry him some day, they’ve been on dates before. Hell, in Sonic Chronicles, Sonic will flat out admit that he secretly feels the same way about her if the right conversation path is taken.

The way you worded your original headcanon made it sound as if this is what you believe to be the case within established canon, without any implication that “this is my own complete reimagining of the Sonic universe” or that it’s an AU headcanon.

If we’re looking at other established Sonic continuities, the only place the “Sonic and Amy are brother/sister” theory could work would be in the Fleetway Sonic the Comic continuity. It’s the only real continuity out there in which the two of them are not explicitly romantically linked. It could even work in continuities where Amy is never introduced (random example: “Amy exists in the OVA universe, where she is Sonic’s little sister”). But, again, you didn’t specify :P

Fair enough. Although "Amy as Sonic's sister" doesn't go against every piece of canon — but you do need to be selective.

For example, if you just take the "Classic Sonic-verse" on their own, nothing in the actual games contradicts it. In Sonic CD, we see that Amy "hearts" Sonic but that works with my headcanon. Amy's appearances in the animated Mania-verse shorts could also be seen as sisterly.

I don't remember every piece of dialogue in Sonic Adventure or SA2, but what comes to mind isn't contradictory either. She adores him, he's a bit annoyed by her, and she's frustrated by him. 

For me, it makes their relationship feel... fuller. More nuanced. More loving. It establishes a bedrock connection that doesn't depend on character flaws to keep them together. 

It also like the way it explains why Amy looks exactly like Sonic, just pink and in a dress! Which is why I think it would then make sense to assume Shadow and Silver also share some of Sonic's DNA (clone / distant relative) — and is similar to the echidnas like Tikal in SA1 who look just like Knuckles, which makes sense, as Knuckles is descendent from that tribe. 

It obviously works without them being literally family — hedgehogs just happen to all look like this, in this world, is the established canon — I just prefer it the way I have it in my head. 

24 minutes ago, Prince the Cat said:

I don't remember every piece of dialogue in Sonic Adventure or SA2

(Comparison is irrelevant: it was the only version of this scene I could find)

1 hour ago, Prince the Cat said:

Fair enough. Although "Amy as Sonic's sister" doesn't go against every piece of canon — but you do need to be selective.

For example, if you just take the "Classic Sonic-verse" on their own, nothing in the actual games contradicts it. In Sonic CD, we see that Amy "hearts" Sonic but that works with my headcanon. Amy's appearances in the animated Mania-verse shorts could also be seen as sisterly.

I don't remember every piece of dialogue in Sonic Adventure or SA2, but what comes to mind isn't contradictory either. She adores him, he's a bit annoyed by her, and she's frustrated by him. 

For me, it makes their relationship feel... fuller. More nuanced. More loving. It establishes a bedrock connection that doesn't depend on character flaws to keep them together. 

It also like the way it explains why Amy looks exactly like Sonic, just pink and in a dress! Which is why I think it would then make sense to assume Shadow and Silver also share some of Sonic's DNA (clone / distant relative) — and is similar to the echidnas like Tikal in SA1 who look just like Knuckles, which makes sense, as Knuckles is descendent from that tribe. 

It obviously works without them being literally family — hedgehogs just happen to all look like this, in this world, is the established canon — I just prefer it the way I have it in my head. 

Do you have a sister 

• Chuckle 1

When Sonic 06 reset itself the timeline divergence point from the old Canon of the game was when Eggman found the Gaia Manuscripts instead of the research notes on the Solaris Project 

6 hours ago, Wraith said:

Do you have a sister 

I don't. Do you?

7 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Two lines, easy cuts or redubs to my mind. Neither of them are good jokes. The jail scene makes more sense through the sister lens than it does romantic interest minus that line. Her real motivation is she's helping Sonic, she's half joking about marrying him. Her overall character is definitely more like kid sister than girlfriend, or even clingy wannabe girlfriend. 

Amy doesn't seem like Peach to Mario to me. She's more like Luigi, but a girl and usually unplayable. I guess what I don't get is, who wants to see Sonic and Amy kissing? They're brother and sister! 

1 hour ago, Prince the Cat said:

Two lines, easy cuts or redubs to my mind. Neither of them are good jokes. The jail scene makes more sense through the sister lens than it does romantic interest minus that line. Her real motivation is she's helping Sonic, she's half joking about marrying him. Her overall character is definitely more like kid sister than girlfriend, or even clingy wannabe girlfriend. 

Amy doesn't seem like Peach to Mario to me. She's more like Luigi, but a girl and usually unplayable. I guess what I don't get is, who wants to see Sonic and Amy kissing? They're brother and sister! 

I don't think you understand how sisters work. Also this:

8 hours ago, Prince the Cat said:

Amy doesn't seem like Peach to Mario to me.

...yeah, she's way more romantically aggressive than Peach has ever been.

9 hours ago, Prince the Cat said:

I don't. Do you?

May I ask you something: How much hedgehog have you consumed in your life and which parts?

9 hours ago, Prince the Cat said:

I don't.

Yeah that explains this whole line of thinking then.

Do you?

yes.

Considering the clear romantic subtext of Sonic and Amy's relationship and how distinctly un-siblinglike their whole dynamic comes across as this whole thing comes across as a little bizarre to me.

Almost all of Amy's entire character is that she wants to marry Sonic and be with him, especially after she got Flanderized. Actually, her bio in CD was that she used Tarot cards to find her romantic partner. There is no way to look at this character and say, "no, she's not" without ignoring over half of the stuff she does/says. At that point you're just making a fanfic/an entirely different fancanon, which sure, do whatever you want. But don't expect everyone else to be on board with entirely changing a character's dynamic to fit your fic. lol

• Thumbs Up 1

Rouge became electroconductive because of discovering Shadow and Omega in Heroes. She had also breathed in a lot of metals from the Robotnik and GUN bases.

On 12/10/2019 at 11:33 AM, Panda Claus said:

A more overt explanation of headcanon:

Fanon, also known by the term "headcanon", is the set of theories based on that source material which, no matter how much they seem to be the "obvious" or "only" interpretation of canonical fact, are not actually part of the canon.

Unfortunately, the Sonic and Amy having a sibling dynamic doesn't source back to anything. It's also redundant because that's what Tails is for. The closest thing to her being "youger Sibiling-like" is SA2...but that's because she's a tag-along and usually a liability to the heroes as younger characters usually are in fiction.

• Thumbs Up 1

Old headcanon: Sonic and Amy have always had a platonic, familial relationship. Absurd.

New headcanon: Sonic and Amy are enjoying steamy hook ups in-between each Zone, but despite all of this hedgehog sex, Sonic just won't commit and Amy can't take the hint... Now That's What I Call Canon!

6 hours ago, Wraith said:

Yeah that explains this whole line of thinking then.

yes.

Considering the clear romantic subtext of Sonic and Amy's relationship and how distinctly un-siblinglike their whole dynamic comes across as this whole thing comes across as a little bizarre to me.

Do you have a romantic partner? 

4 hours ago, Shade Vortex said:

Almost all of Amy's entire character is that she wants to marry Sonic and be with him, especially after she got Flanderized. Actually, her bio in CD was that she used Tarot cards to find her romantic partner. There is no way to look at this character and say, "no, she's not" without ignoring over half of the stuff she does/says. At that point you're just making a fanfic/an entirely different fancanon, which sure, do whatever you want. But don't expect everyone else to be on board with entirely changing a character's dynamic to fit your fic. lol

Lol.

First question: is Amy's characterization as a delusional stalker part of her appeal, or does it make her character less essential to the cast? 

Second question: do you think canons are real, or are you aware that fiction is constructed by writers making things up?

Lol.

• Chuckle 1

12 minutes ago, Prince the Cat said:

Do you have a romantic partner? 

You're talking about cartoon hedgehogs having sex on a fan message board, so we all know how you'd answer that question.

Are we done here?

• Chuckle 1

"Les Dans Griffes de Robotnik" Sonic was the one who was made into a Prelate by Dark Enerjak. He had grown complacent of his life after Robotnik's demise, so he went to his old lab and discovered an old piece of technology, which he used on himself to enter other realms. Unfortunately, he ended up on Dark Mobius after a while, so he decided to check it out. Learning the native Sonic was flung into the sun, he challenged Dark Enerjak, who quickly overcame him.

1 minute ago, Panda Claus said:

What?

The short-lived French comic with Alucion. That one, aka “Sonic Adventures”. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, here's big one: Why birds don't have wings.

Long time ago birds had wings and flied like no other creatures. But in their hubris they declared skies their property. For that, ancient gods took their wings. (Also, they buried Babylon Garden. That part officially happened, it's mentioned in Riders 1)

But tribe known as Babylon Rouges would not be denied their rights. Their leader, Skyborn said

"Wings are not psychical things. They are state of mind. A spirit inside you. Spirit that's free like a wind. If you have that Spirit, you have Wings."

And since then Birds found numerous ways to fly. Flying carpets, airships and of course Extreme Gear. They even tried sharing that technology with other species (legend about winged boy from Riders 1), but after that powers was abused they decided non-birds are not worthy and became much more seclusive with their tech. Hence why "Genies" disappeared from the world.

Jet inherited this mentality. He's still full of pride and part of him want to take skies away from not-birds. But as long as his desire for freedom is stronger than need to control, he won't repeat mistakes of his ancestors.

In first game he said to Sonic that he'll never be fastest in the air "without wings". Ironically Sonic didn't knew that when bird says "you have wings", they mean that you have Spirit of the Wind. Of course most of birds thinks non-fliers (or even non-birds) can't have it...

(Also, while they aren't really evil, they kinda feel like they defy the whole world, so they a little antagonistic towards everyone.)

On 10/17/2019 at 3:31 AM, Strong Guy said:

Silver being a psychic has some precognitive abilities along with his telekinesis which makes him able to sense when particularly bad things happen during different eras of time.

Then he just uses chaos control to go back in time and help Sonic and his friends (or whoever depending on the time period he travels to) with the current threat if he feels his help is needed.

I really like this one. It's a perfect explanation why he's always there, but not always knows all the details or sometimes isn't essential to fixing the problem (I doubt him cheer in Generations was essential to fixing timeline).

I never liked idea that he's some kind of "time police" sine he's too much of a dork to be train professional (we still don't know how he time travels, but first step is made).

Although to be completely fair, so fair he always shows up to deal with some time anomaly (Nega, Iblis, Time Eater, Phantom Ruby) or just to hang out (Colors DS, Team Racing). That's surprisingly consistent, considering Sega's writing.

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Ok, here's big one: Why birds don't have wings.

Long time ago birds  had wings and flied like no other creatures. But in their hubris they declared skies their property. For that, ancient gods took their wings.

But tribe known as Babylon Rouges would not be denied their rights. Their leader, Skyborn said

"Wings are not psychical things. They are spirit inside you. Spirit that's free like a wind. If you have that Spirit, you have Wings."

And since then Birds found numerous ways to fly. Flying carpets, airships and of course Extreme Gear.

Jet inherited this mentality. He's still full of pride and part of him want to take skies away from not-birds. But as long as his desire for freedom is stronger than need to control, he won't repeat mistakes of his ancestors.

In first game he said to Sonic that he'll never be fastest in the air "without wings". Ironically Sonic didn't knew that when bird says "you have wings", they mean that you have Spirit of the Wind. Of course most of them thinks non-fliers (or even non-birds) can't have it...

(Also, while they aren't really evil, they kinda feel like they defy the whole world, so they a little antagonistic towards everyone.)

I really like this one. It's a perfect explanation why he's always there, but not always knows all the details or sometimes isn't essential to fixing the problem (I doubt him cheer in Generations was essential to fixing timeline).

I never liked idea that he's some kind of "time police" sine he's too much of a dork to be train professional (we still don't know how he time travels, but first step is made).

Although to be completely fair, so fair he always shows up to deal with some time anomaly (Nega, Iblis, Time Eater, Phantom Ruby) or just to hang out (Colors DS, Team Racing). That's surprisingly consistent, considering Sega's writing.

What's funny/great is Team Sonic Racing has Blaze suggest that's exactly what's been happening.