Awoo.

Sonic Headcanons

Big Panda

I got one. Half head canon half over-extrapolation.

For a long time, Tails had been running down Eggman in the mechanics department. Might have even surpassed him here and there; but none-the-less at bare minimum was capable of pulling neck in neck in terms of raw building skill and potential.

During the TSR fiasco - Tails was floored by the technology that went into each of the vehicles. Eggman however, casually builds his own models that mimic's and compete alongside Dodonpa's tech, and then another that exceeds them in every way.

Eggman is back as the king of the mountain.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Way Past Cool 1
  • Absolutely 1

4 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I got one. Half head canon half over-extrapolation.

For a long time, Tails had been running down Eggman in the mechanics department. Might have even surpassed him here and there; but none-the-less at bare minimum was capable of pulling neck in neck in terms of raw building skill and potential.

During the TSR fiasco - Tails was floored by the technology that went into each of the vehicles. Eggman however, casually builds his own models that mimic's and compete alongside Dodonpa's tech, and then another that exceeds them in every way.

Eggman is back as the king of the mountain.

Yeah I really like this idea. Gives Eggman a rivalry with Tails as well as Sonic, as well as giving both of their intellects a good test. I do believe Eggman would come out on top most of the time though. given that he's a lot more experienced than Tails would be and has a lot more amibitious ideas  (Tails mostly builds vehicles, smaller robots and other miscellaneous things like the Miles Electric, Eggman's built everything from huge armies of Badniks to gigantic space stations to powerful plot-device machines that can manipulate time and space)

• Thumbs Up 1

The Sonic series worlds follow the same rules from Sonic X's worlds where Sonic's planet orbits slower than ours.

5 hours ago, thumbs13 said:

Black Knight didn't happen. Sonic just overslept for his date with Amy and made the whole thing up as an excuse. 

I'm pretty sure that's just canon.

Anywho big is weirdly astute about certain things and when he is, it confuses everyone

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/31/2019 at 12:46 PM, MetalSkulkBane said:

Ok, here's big one: Why birds don't have wings.

Long time ago birds  had wings and flied like no other creatures. But in their hubris they declared skies their property. For that, ancient gods took their wings.

But tribe known as Babylon Rouges would not be denied their rights. Their leader, Skyborn said

"Wings are not psychical things. They are spirit inside you. Spirit that's free like a wind. If you have that Spirit, you have Wings."

And since then Birds found numerous ways to fly. Flying carpets, airships and of course Extreme Gear.

Jet inherited this mentality. He's still full of pride and part of him want to take skies away from not-birds. But as long as his desire for freedom is stronger than need to control, he won't repeat mistakes of his ancestors.

In first game he said to Sonic that he'll never be fastest in the air "without wings". Ironically Sonic didn't knew that when bird says "you have wings", they mean that you have Spirit of the Wind. Of course most of them thinks non-fliers (or even non-birds) can't have it...

(Also, while they aren't really evil, they kinda feel like they defy the whole world, so they a little antagonistic towards everyone.)

I love this and its canon now. I stole it from you its canon. It's too late.

If I may and to this it kinda seems like and old religious belief and would explain tails and cream even.  It's really neat.

On that same token. I think the Babylon rogues, and jet and wave in particular if we are following your canon here , appreciate hard work. It took enginuity and hard work for them to come up with new ways to fly. Maybe it's a work culture, and maybe the rogues themselves view their thefts as them working. They worked hard for it, so its theirs.

I can also see them having a very different kind of beef with some folks. Take sonic for example, instead of just petty rivalry. He doesn't feel like sonic had to work hard for anything he has he feel like sonic was just born with speed and doesn't value his gifts appropriately. Which is why he feels the need to best him. To prove hard work is best. It's kind of a rock Lee thing.

To continue, I can also see them having beef with blaze, silver and shadow. Blaze for similar reasons to sonic, princess with powers feels she's stuck up ( maybe jet hit on her and it really didn't take) doesn't feel like she earned them to the rogues. And shadow and silver to them might be abomination. Their powers allowing them to manipulate the core elements ( relevant to sonic characters need for speed). In silver's case motion itself, and in shadows case time and space.  It could be seen as circumventing that spirit needed. Allowing the two to navigate the ground and air. And if they were to learn that the latter is artificial well, it would just add to that frustration.

On the opposite end in this canon I can see them appreciating tails and knuckles. Tails isnt as fast as sonic nor does he have wings but he works hard and builds things to help. And knuckles is on his job guarding the M.E and they appreciate it. Rouge too because of thief thing. And even the chaotix.

Now obviously they would be incorrect, sonic works hard to save the day as does everyone else. Blaze has responsibilities which I would directly counteract their claims about her. Silver is from a desolate future trying to fix it as best he can. And shadow uh... hes been through some stuff. And them learning and challenging other characters and their ideals would kinda be interesting.

You really got my brain going

On 12/31/2019 at 12:46 PM, MetalSkulkBane said:

I really like this one. It's a perfect explanation why he's always there, but not always knows all the details or sometimes isn't essential to fixing the problem (I doubt him cheer in Generations was essential to fixing timeline).

I never liked idea that he's some kind of "time police" sine he's too much of a dork to be train professional (we still don't know how he time travels, but first step is made).

Although to be completely fair, so fair he always shows up to deal with some time anomaly (Nega, Iblis, Time Eater, Phantom Ruby) or just to hang out (Colors DS, Team Racing). That's surprisingly consistent, considering Sega's writing.

I would be more ok if there were other time police. And they did more with them

Like Gamma, Omega also has an animal friend "trapped" inside him. However, there's a twist. The animal is the real Omega, not the robot itself.

Instead of just being a power source, the animal has somehow overpowered the roboticization process and turned it around, assimilating the programmed AI of the robot into himself and basically becoming E-123 Omega, the ultimate E-series robot in heart and soul. Unlike other animal friends stuck in robots, he's more of a pilot than a battery or prisoner.

If the robotic shell was ever destroyed and the animal  was "freed", the animal would proceed to speak and act like Omega since that's his actual personality, obsession with destroying Eggman's robots and all. He'd complain about being "half destroyed" or "incomplete" and try to rebuild his body and become a robot again too since he "rejects his weakling meatbag origins". I imagine him to be a cutesy looking Cucky or Ricky with the deep monotone voice of Omega, minus the robotic filters.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2018 at 1:09 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

A crazy theory which probably isn't true, but makes me chuckles.

Some people think that Classic and Modern Sonics used to be one guy, but events of Generations split him into two dimensions/timelines.

I like that theory, I would like to think it's canon. Only problem: where are Classic Shadow, Rouge, etc?

So here is my crazy theory: They all on Classic Earth. In classic Dimension, Sonic never visits Earth, but SA2, Shadow and 06 still happened without him (or other classic characters). So next to colorful and fun Classic "Mobius" there is a "gritty" Classic Earth, where Shadow is the main hero, battling Mephiles, Black Doom, Infinite and all the other modern threats.

To push the 'edge' to its limits we can say that Shadow still uses guns, war with Balck Arm continues, planet somehow broke and Dark Gaia is on the loose and basically, the whole thing is like a post-apocalyptic version of Sonic franchise.

Also, characters like Cream, Big, Marine, and Sticks exist on Classic Mobius, living rather uneventful lives without the involvement of Sonic and company. 

• 2 weeks later...

The reason Sonic doesn’t just go 800mph all the time is that he would crash into something. So he’s only going to do this on a vast, flat surface. He has to keep his velocity in check. 

I know this flies in the face of how he moves in the film, but that’s a different incarnation anyway. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The reason Rookies can double boost is due to the Wispons having a cell culture of Sonic’s DNA inside, which allows for the use of Wisps.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, thumbs13 said:

The Rogues have retractable teeth, explaining why they're on the ingame models but not the cutscenes one.

They are alien genies, after all.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

After replaying SA2, I discovered the Ark Massacre happened approximately 50 years before the game, which kinda messed up my headcanon of Tails' parents being scientists involved in Project Shadow. So I retooled my headcanon of it and also made a headcanon past for Tails. (the 50 years thing also messes up my headcanon age of Eggman being 46, but I have a plan to keep his age with some more retooling later, involving Eggman also being an orphan and only learning about his grandfather's exploits and his ultimate fate from his journal and some videotapes he discovered as a child)

Tails' parents sent him as a baby to Earth in cryostasis like Shadow was kept in, to make sure he was extra safe, planning to go wake him up and raise him later. They tried to send him to their old home on Cocoa Island, but instead of landing properly, the pod malfunctioned and crashed into the house, destroying it. This also damaged the cryostasis power supply, causing it to run on auxilary power for a couple of decades until the power ran out and Tails was awakened, all alone as his parents were long dead by that point.

Being a smart cookie, he still managed to survive and adapt mostly by himself (he had a bit of help from birds like his AOSTH counterpart but they left him quickly after he could survive on his own). He even rebuilt the broken home into his workshop seen in Tails' adventure. He learned a lot from old videotapes left behind by his late parents. However, despite finding his name, Miles Prower, written on his escape pod, he never learned the mysterious fox couple's actual identities and their relationship to him as the tapes were from before they had a child and they only referred to each other by pet names. He lived alone in his little house and workshop peacefully until the events of Tails Adventure. His little adventure sparked his curiousity, making him want to see the world. So he left his workshop and started traveling. He eventually found his way to Westside Island where he met a certain supersonic blue hedgehog. The rest is history.

The altar of the emeralds was placed inside Hidden Palace, but after the events of Sonic & Knuckles, when Angel Island fell, Hidden Palace detached from the island and  started to float its own (Sky Sanctuary). The altar remained attached to Angel Island and now it's unprotected, without any building around.

Since the altar is shown at the exterior during Tikal's flashbacks, I think that Hidden Palace was built after the events of Chaos, to hide the altar and avoid any other disaster to happen.

Lost World (stage) also seems to have some anti-gravity gimmicks in it, it's probably built with the same technology/magic as Hidden Palace was.

I'm not sure who built those places since the echidna tribe was exterminated by Chaos by the way... maybe there were some survivors at the time, like Knuckles' parents who aren't mentioned in games but I assume they at least existed. Probably Lost World is more ancient than Hidden Palace/Sky Sanctuary, built before the Chaos events, and the murale representing Chaos is a profecy, while Hidden Palace is more recent, built after the disaster, and has another murale with a different profecy (Eggman). In this case, it means that Hidden Palace was built specifically to keep Eggman away from the Master Emerald.

• Thumbs Up 1

This one has been mentioned in spinoffs and somewhat shown in the Archie Comics, but those cuffs on Silver's wrists function simlarly to Shadow's, and if they were to ever break he'd either lose his powers (they could be futuristic technology that enhances brainwaves and grants psychokinesis since Silver said he's mot unique in his future) or his mental abilities would amplify to extreme heights similar to Mob Psycho.

I also think that since Silver can somewhat warp space on a limited scale to achieve temporary lightspeed propulsions, and since space is often linked with time, that with practice Silver could be able to harness a form of chronokinesis similar to Chaos Control and this could explain how he inexplicably travels back and forth through time without issues of more than seven Emeralds coming up.

• Promotion 1

• 4 weeks later...

My turn

Sonic is claustrophobic: In the old games, you would die if a certain space was too small. However, this space wouldn’t normally kill people in real life. You could just lay down and crawl out. BUT SONIC DIDN’T.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Fist Bump 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

Alright, it's my time to shine.

1) Super Sonic used chaos control to return the moon to normal before returning to the Ark.

2) Shard exists Post-Super Genesis Wave, but they know him now as Gemerl.

3)The events of the Sonic movie also happened in the game universe, with the exception of Sonic being from another world, instead, he was sent from his home on Christmas Island across the planet to the United Federation. Robotnik worked for G.U.N, as his grandfather did before him. sonic regularly visits Tom in his downtime.

4) Agent Stone's first name is Snively.

5) The Post Super Genesis Wave world is called Earth.

6) Shadow is required to work for G.U.N to make up for trying to destroy the Earth.

7) The Master Emerald will use its power to make Knuckles immortal, until he is able to find a new guardian to take his place.

8 ) The Super Genesis Wave rewrote Robotnik Prime into Eggman Nega.

9) The Time Eater was made from the energy of the erased Mephiles.

10) Mephiles is still alive, in a way. He's trapped in Shadow's... Well... Shadow. Unable to act, and can simply witness the world as Shadow does.

11) Sonic's eyes turned green as a result of going Super/Hyper too many times, and he's hesitant to use his Hyper from again for fear of what it may do to him in the future.

12) All humans of Fleetway Mobius are there because they were part of a scientific expedition led by Kintobor that brought him from Earth to Mobius.

13) Due to the Genesis Wave, the Archie universe is no longer the Prime Zone, that name belongs to the game universe now. Archie is now known as the Genesis Zone.

14) The events of Worlds Collide also occurred in the Sonic and MegaMan game universes, the one difference being the characters still remember the events of it.

15) Shadow is Silver's ancestor, but not his father. Silver's father in the old timeline was the psychokinetic heroic leader of the survivors, and named Venice. Venice himself was convinced by Mephiles to travel back in time and kill Sonic, but discovered the truth before going through with it. Mephiles then killed him, leaving his son Silver to protect the survivors, never knowing what happened to his father. In the "good" future mentioned in Sonic Colors DS, Venice is generally similar to his bad future incarnation, but is much closer to his son, and is as popular of a hero in his time as Sonic is in his, and spends time teaching his son how to better hone his Psychokinetic powers. This is why he's much more skilled by the time of his boss fight in Generations.

16) The IDW comics are canon to the game universe. Team Sonic Racing has not yet occurred.

17) There is no "two worlds" all of the games take place on an Earth where humans and mobians coexist, and has more fantastical elements as a result of the Chaos Emeralds.

18)  Humans and Mobians only began to coexist by the time of the late 19th and early 20th century. Before then, Mobians generally kept to themselves on islands such as South Island, Angel Island, Westside Island, and Christmas Island. As a result, most of human history is identical to our own, with minor differences.

19) The United Federation was created when the United States merged with the Federation Of The Acorn Archipelago. 

Edited by UnknownByME
Changed an error
  • Thumbs Up 2

A little boy named Ivo grew up as a lonely orphan, bullied and ostracized for his incredible intellect. He was "raised" by neglectful foster parents and had no idea of his past. But one day, he found Gerald's journals and some videotapes of Gerald and Maria hidden in his foster parents' belongings. Reading through the journals and watching the tapes lead him to discover his own true identity, Ivo Robotnik. His heart was filled with joy at knowing he had a real family out there and he was greatly inspired by his grandfather's exploits and started aspiring to become a great scientist like him.

But one thing that confused him was that the name Robotnik was never mentioned anywhere outside of the journals or videotapes, and no matter where he searched, he never found any trace of where his grandfather or cousin could be. It was almost as if their existence was never meant to be known. On a quest to solve this mystery, he eventually hacked his way into the government's records and found out about their ultimate fate. This gruesome discovery caused him to have an epiphany; If people treated him like a freak just because he's smart, wouldn't he suffer the same fate as his family if he became a great scientist himself? This revelation caused him to snap and gain a new mission. If the world would take his family away and reject him, he would conquer the world and remake it in his image. Thus the megalomaniacal Dr. Eggman was born.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

A little boy named Ivo grew up as a lonely orphan, bullied and ostracized for his incredible intellect. He was "raised" by neglectful foster parents and had no idea of his past. But one day, he found Gerald's journals and some videotapes of Gerald and Maria hidden in his foster parents' belongings. Reading through the journals and watching the tapes lead him to discover his own true identity, Ivo Robotnik. His heart was filled with joy at knowing he had a real family out there and he was greatly inspired by his grandfather's exploits and started aspiring to become a great scientist like him.

But one thing that confused him was that the name Robotnik was never mentioned anywhere outside of the journals or videotapes, and no matter where he searched, he never found any trace of where his grandfather or cousin could be. It was almost as if their existence was never meant to be known. On a quest to solve this mystery, he eventually hacked his way into the government's records and found out about their ultimate fate. This gruesome discovery caused him to have an epiphany; If people treated him like a freak just because he's smart, wouldn't he suffer the same fate as his family if he became a great scientist himself? This revelation caused him to snap and gain a new mission. If the world would take his family away and reject him, he would over the world and remake it in his image. Thus the megalomaniacal Dr. Eggman was born.

I like Ivo's movie origins.

He's an orphan, and because of that hates "childish" ideas like family, and his incredible intellect and bullying throughout his childhood has led to a very misanthropic outlook on life.

Despite all that, there is one person he's looked up to in the games, his grandfather Gerald. I could see Robotnik using his science for militaristic purposes, believing he was following in the footsteps of his hero, the genius GUN scientist.

• Thumbs Up 1

So we all know about South Island from Sonic 1 and West Side Island from Sonic 2, but not many people know that there is also a North Island as mentioned in an obscure Japanese profile for Bark the Polar bear which he is apparently from. Obviously these islands are named after the four cardinal directions, but you might notice something seems to be missing...a hypothetical East Side Island. Does this island exist? Are these islands connected in some way? To begin my hypothesis, we need need to go all the way back to the creation of Angel Island. In the Japanese manual for Sonic 3, it said that the land mass that would eventually become Angel Island was originally "part of the main continent". I theorize that when Angel Island was ripped from the continent it caused at least three other land masses to detach from the continent. These islands left behind from the creation of Angel Island managed to float to other sides of the planet, possibly due to the energy of the emeralds. That may be possible, but again I ask: Does East Side Island exist? I have three theories on this:

1. There is a East Side Island, but it's never made an appearance before. I mean, North Island has never been shown in any game either but we know it exists.

2. East Side Island does exist, but it's better known by a different name. Maybe East Side Island is Flicky Island from Sonic 3D Blast. East Side Island could be it's official name, but everyone unofficially calls it Flicky Island due to it being the origin of the Flicky species. After all, the island does contain a legend about the Chaos Emeralds just like South Island and West Side Island. It could even be Angel Island itself, explaining why there is no mention of an East Side Island in the Sonic series yet.

3. East Side Island did exist, but not anymore. There are many lost civilizations in the Sonic series, Babylon Garden and even Atlantis itself are just a few locations that eventually disappeared or were hidden away. The Knuckles Chaotix Japanese manual mentions that the island the game takes place, Newtrogic High Zone, was created shortly after the events of Sonic 3 from the Master Emerald's power. Maybe Newtrogic High Zone is simply the lost East Side Island reborn?

Another thought while making this: the Sonic Adventure Japanese Strategy Guide says that it's not known what happened to the Chaos Emeralds after Angel Island rose to the sky, but Sonic 1 shows at least six of the seven Chaos Emeralds were found on South Island. I believe it's possible that six of the seven Chaos Emeralds were on South Island after Angel Island rose in the sky, with the missing seventh Chaos Emerald ending up on West Side Island, and stayed that way for thousands of years. In fact, it's mentioned that South Island is mysterious because "it floats around in the ocean" never staying in one place like a normal island. I believe the energy of the six Chaos Emeralds is actually trying to lift South Island into the sky like Angel Island was, but either due to the missing seventh emerald or perhaps the Chaos Emeralds are not as powerful as the Master Emerald it can't.  With such limited power the emeralds only manage to move the island around in the ocean instead of levitating it into the clouds.

• Nice Smile 1

• 3 weeks later...

As implausible as it might seem, Eggman personally builds and repairs many of his machines by himself. Sure, the huge armies of Badniks and Egg Pawns and the likes are usually mass produced in his factories with only minor supervision (hence Omega's "Worthless consumer models" insult), but his more notable automatons such as the E-Series (with the exception of Beta's upgrade), Metal Sonic etc all had their construction personally performed, overseen and maintained by the Doctor and had their minds and "souls" programmed by his own two hands.

He personally rebuilds and/or repairs the Eggmobile every single time it's damaged/destroyed after his fights, which can be a painstakingly long process depending on the damage, but it also helps Eggman cope with his defeats a little, as working on his machines is a great stress-relief activity for him. He also built and installed all of the weapons and gadgets for the Eggmobile in Sonic 1 by hand (or tool anyway), only resorting to automated construction and installation for the more complex attachments and vehicle mounts in the later games, and even then he personally maintained those too. He has a philosophy that if you build a machine yourself and control it yourself, you can handle it better since you'll know everything about it, which he indeed does as seen by how deftly he uses/pilots his machines.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Sonario said:

As implausible as it might seem, Eggman personally builds and repairs many of his machines by himself. Sure, the huge armies of Badniks and Egg Pawns and the likes are usually mass produced in his factories with only minor supervision (hence Omega's "Worthless consumer models" insult), but his more notable automatons such as the E-Series (with the exception of Beta's upgrade), Metal Sonic etc all had their construction personally performed, overseen and maintained by the Doctor and had their minds and "souls" programmed by his own two hands.

He personally rebuilds and/or repairs the Eggmobile every single time it's damaged/destroyed after his fights, which can be a painstakingly long process depending on the damage, but it also helps Eggman cope with his defeats a little, as working on his machines is a great stress-relief activity for him. He also built and installed all of the weapons and gadgets for the Eggmobile in Sonic 1 by hand (or tool anyway), only resorting to automated construction and installation for the more complex attachments and vehicle mounts in the later games, and even then he personally maintained those too. He has a philosophy that if you build a machine yourself and control it yourself, you can handle it better since you'll know everything about it, which he indeed does as seen by how deftly he uses/pilots his machines.

This is great, I gotta say

• Fist Bump 1

Fun thread! Here's a riff on the Birds and wings idea.

Sonic developed his natural born speed based on a desire to fly, as a result of being raised in the remnants of an ancient bird civilization. South Island is home to the second largest population of Flickies in the world, and Baby Sonic was raised by Longclaw the Owl. 

Though neither Longclaw nor Flickies are capable of prolonged flight like birds in our world, they can flutter and glide and cover distances quickly. 

Baby Sonic loved to run and chase his Flicky friends, and soon exceeded their speed, discovering his own abilities and earning the name "Sonic" (a nickname that immediately then became his real name as his hedgehog birthname was unknown) when his speed broke the sound barrier — and caused irrevocable damage to Old Man Owl's hearing... when his sight was already bad!

My other major headcanon is that Everything Happened... which is mostly just assuming that the IDW comic series is a continuation from the Archie series, following the multiple universal resets by Eggman and Wily, but following Sonic Forces, the Archie characters finally went their separate ways from Sonic, and the Kingdom of Acorn was in good stable hands. Once Sonic and friends left, Eggman had no reason to continue focusing on them.  

I like to assume that they could come back. And though it's unlikely it's definitely not an impossible issue of rights for that to happen in a mini-series or something to revisit Sally and Knothole and see how they ended up, or that Sega could change their minds about using Fang/Bean/Bark and Mighty/Ray/Honey.

Sonic Boom is the "happily ever after" of the story, taking place 10 years in the future, but still well before "25 Years Later" (if you want it), when Sonic & friends lazily keep watch over Eggman in his "base" (actually a prison cell) on Prison Island, where they befriend the locals including Sticks the Badger. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

My headcanons:

There is only one planet, where both humans and anthros live.

Classic Sonic is modern Sonic from the past, they are not different characters.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Too Many Rings 1