Awoo.

Sonic 25th Japanese Site Opened and Event Date Revealed!

Woun

「ソニック25周年アニバーサリーパーティー」開催日決定!
「ソニック25周年 アニバーサリーパーティー」は、今年25周年を迎える超音速のハリネズミ「ソニック・ザ・ヘッジホッグ」の生誕を祝して東京ジョイポリス(東京都・港区)のメインステージにて開催するスペシャルステージイベントです。開催日が6月25日(土)に決定いたしました。詳細は順次公開いたしますので、ぜひご期待ください。

Translate:

Sonic 25th Anniversary Party Reveal Date!

"Sonic 25th Anniversary Party" a celebration of 25 years of supersonic hedgehog "Sonic the Hedgehog", which will be held on main stage in Tokyo Joypolis (Tokyo, Minato). Celebration Date: June 25. In the near future we will get more details.

• Thumbs Up 6

4 hours ago, Woun said:

Modern:

main-modern.png

Still Classic:

main-classic.png

And Boom:

main-boom.png

I hope they don't shoehorn Boom Sonic into a Generations-style game. He hasn't earned his place there in a 25th anniversary title. He's still basically a blip on the radar in the franchise.

• Thumbs Up 6

Spoiler

BP2dPug.jpgBP2dPugg.jpg

J34PdR4.jpgJ34PdR4g.jpg

UP3zPsb.jpgUP3zPsbg.jpg

Wow, they're referencing everything Sonic here, and yes I mean EVERYTHING, including the usual suspects like 06 and Boom: Rise of Lyric, to even stuff you'd think they'd have just forgotten like the Chronicles of the Dark Brotherhood!

Heh, they show Pinball Party so by extension they finally admit that NIGHTS exists still! Aha!

• Thumbs Up 6

I want that shirt.

So America and Japan are getting their own respective anniversary events...and that leaves Europe being left out of the party.

49 minutes ago, Jovahexeon:AceFiddlePlayer said:

Wow, they're referecning everything Sonic here, and yes I mean EVERYTHING, including the usual suspects like 06 and Boom: Rise of Lyric, to even stuff you'd think they'd have just forgotten like the Chronicles of the Dark Brotherhood!

Heh, they show Pinball Party so by extension they finally admit that NIGHTS exists still! Aha!

Yeah, the scrolling list of games does count quite a lot games--main series games, handheld games, spinoffs, even compilations (original Mega Collection, Mega Collection Plus, and Gems Collection) and the more obscure titles (Game Gear games and Knuckles' Chaotix).

That said, there are some omissions, most of them pretty reasonable in my book:

Games that were only released in Western territories. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (which was a AoSTH-reskinned Puyo Puyo anyway), the Game Gear / Master System ports of Sonic Spinball, the Genesis version of Sonic 3D Blast/Flickies Island (technically, it was released there through Mega Collection [Plus]), the Sonic Rivals games, and Sonic Classic Collection.

Franchise crossover games. Sega Superstars (the PS2 EyeToy original and the Tennis sports game sequel), the All-Star Racing games (original and Transformed), and the Mario and Sonic at the Olympics Games series.

Non-retail titles, such as digital games (Sonic 4: Episodes I & II) and mobile games (Jump, Dash, and Runners; let alone any of the pre-smartphone era mobile Sonic games that are probably acknowledged only by researchers).

Sonic Free Riders. A bit weird in this case as it was released in Japan and the other two Riders games appear in the list. My only guess is because it is a 360 / Kinect exclusive, as the Xbox brand in general is deader than disco in Japan.

Sonic Colors, no mention of either the Wii or DS versions of the game. An exception to the rule, the omission of this game from the collection is a rather strange one. Maybe it was just an oversight on the website designer's part?

• Thumbs Up 5

Yeah, the fact it's just a list of every console Sonic-dominant game released in Japan makes me think it doesn't really have any stock in them actually acknowledging them in any significant capacity. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Spooky Mulder said:

He hasn't earned his place there in a 25th anniversary title.

I absolutely agree with that. I don't understand why they are putting Boom Sonic into the 25th Anniversary game. First, it only exists since 2014, so why would it be something that should be remembered in an anniversary game? Secondly, we can say that it is the worst product ever created in the Sonic franchise. What is also funny, SEGA and BRB also knows this, they have already admitted that they aren't following the Sonic traditions, and that Boom got the most negative critics. They also said that they understand why people dislike it, and they will try to make quality products from now on, and will try to note the needs of the fans. Then this is noting the needs of the fans?!

Please don't get me wrong, if someone likes Boom. I don't say that Boom is a total failure in itself. I just say it's a really bad idea to put Boom into every Sonic game from now. Just check it: there was Sonic Dash, then Sonic Dash 2: Boom, for example. In the past years, there were only Boom games released, except Sonic Runners (and Lost World PC). If even SEGA admits that Boom is quite a failure, then why they keep dealing with it?

Personally I hope(d) that the 25th Anniversary game will be a life savior in this period of time. I thought even if the recent games are unlike Sonic, then the anniversary game must be a great game, which contains all the elements we love about Sonic. But seems like no: they might spoil it with Boom as well.

---

However, this Japanese site looks pretty good! It's nice to see my favourite games rolling towards my eyes! ^_^ I regret that I don't speak the language, although there's not much to read yet. I am getting more and more excited about the 25th Anniversary!

• Thumbs Up 2

It's a awesome site, thanks for sharing. Those shirts do cost almost 3,000円 which i don't have ;p

At this point, it'd be kinda silly not to reveal the 25th anniversary game at the upcoming event considering there's a website now.

Wouldn't it be weird if they had a party dedicated to the 25th anniversary and we still got nothing?

Not complaining just saying.

20 minutes ago, SonicDX said:

I absolutely agree with that. I don't understand why they are putting Boom Sonic into the 25th Anniversary game.

We don't know that we're going to get a sequel to Sonic Generations, and we don't know that Boom!Sonic would be in it. All we know is that Sonic Boom is being celebrated as a part of the Sonic franchise for this anniversary.

• Thumbs Up 9

I think it's a wee too early for a Generations squeal to be honest so we may not get one. Boom Sonic is there because he's a celebrated part of the franchise and he repusents a certian era.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Hyper Enesephus said:

All we know is that Sonic Boom is being celebrated as a part of the Sonic franchise for this anniversary.

In my opinion it shouldn't be put in it or celebrated in it, neither, because of the reasons I explained. That's true we don't know it, but the official 25th Anniversary art has the Boom Sonic on it, which obviously means it will be included somehow.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, SonicDX said:

In my opinion it shouldn't be put in it or celebrated in it, neither, because of the reasons I explained. That's true we don't know it, but the official 25th Anniversary art has the Boom Sonic on it, which obviously means it will be included somehow.

The chances that Boom Sonic will be in the 25th anniversary game are next to nothing. He's there because he's a current part of the franchise.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, SonicDX said:

In my opinion it shouldn't be put in it or celebrated in it, neither, because of the reasons I explained. 

First off, Fire and Ice is being released this year, so there's his piece of the pie.

Second off, I don't find your reasons strong enough to discount the Boom iteration of Sonic being celebrated alongside the others when it's the face of a massive multi-media marketing movement. (that's a lot of M's) that Sega poured plenty of money into. There are fans who, yes, like the games (even RoL!) and especially love the cartoon. If Generations can include a level from a game that came out only one year ago, Sonic's 25th anniversary in general has every freedom to use the iteration of Sonic that's part of a successful cartoon series (and other products) which came out two years ago. 

5 minutes ago, Marcello said:

The chances that Boom Sonic will be in the 25th anniversary game are next to nothing. He's there because he's a current part of the franchise.

This, basically. SonicDX is overreacting. 

• Thumbs Up 8

36 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Because Sonic Boom is part of the franchise whether you like it or not :V

But Sonic Boom is basically a sub-franchise of its own—one that has existed for a short period of time and received mostly negative attention. A cartoon in its second season and 3 mediocre to poor games means Sonic Boom could easily be confined to the dustbin of history within the next few years.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, Spooky Mulder said:

But Sonic Boom is basically a sub-franchise of its own—one that has existed for a short period of time and received mostly negative attention. A cartoon in its second season and 3 mediocre to poor games means Sonic Boom could easily be confined to the dustbin of history within the next few years.

I agree, that's what I'm talking about. But I respect everyone's opinion, so please don't get me wrong. :)

2 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Do you have any idea on how much time and money they've put into Sonic Boom? You really think a few negative reviews are just going to stop them from acknowledging its existence? The best thing they can do is simply move on and keep going best they can.

Sonic Boom is still apart of the Sonic franchise, it doesn't matter if its a sub-series because its still a derivative of the brand. Its like celebrating and disregarding X, Zero, Battle Network, and so forth.

I'm not saying they should pretend it doesn't exist, I'm just saying that I hope it's presence is limited to promotional material like this website, and doesn't slip it's way into the next main Sonic game.

Sonic Boom feels dead in the water and I don't want to waste the 25th anniversary trying to make Boom attractive again.

• Thumbs Up 2