Awoo.

The Sonic movies that never got made

DaddlerTheDalek

Before the announcement of Sony's Sonic movie, there were earlier attempts at producing a cinematic feature film for Sega's blue hedgehog like MGM's movie project, Hurst's SatAM movie project, Penders Archieverse movie project and maybe even some other attempts. It would be interesting to find more informations about these cancelled theatrical productions. I think it would be cool if somebody could find stuff like scripts, treatments, concept art and more. What do you know? What do you think?

• Thumbs Up 1

Didn't SegaBits/Nerds interview Al Nielson or some as recently as last year about this and wasn't there supposed to be details about a Sonic Movie pitch in it, whatever happened to that?

13 hours ago, Detective Hogfather said:

Didn't SegaBits/Nerds interview Al Nielson or some as recently as last year about this and wasn't there supposed to be details about a Sonic Movie pitch in it, whatever happened to that?

IIf I remember correctly they wanted to show/tell us more off that scrapped MGM Sonic movie, but apparently nothing happend...

I only have some concept art of Penders' Sonic movie.

I was unaware there was a Penders movie planned. I hate to be that guy but it does seem like another Penders attempt to take over the franchise. "The project was designed to establish a global Sonic continuity based on the Sat-AM and Archie series with SEGA's blessing." In other words, he's talking about making a relatively obscure continuity gain worldwide recognition as the definitive canon for the series. This is just like how he tried to have Mobius: 25 Years Later established as the definite future for the Archieverse if they wanted to use his characters.

"relatively obscure continuity"

You know, have any opinion that you will about the continuity, but obscure isn't the word I'd go for when non fans are even aware who the Freedom Fighters are. Said characters tend to show up in fan art from the Japanese fan artists as well and even Arin Hanson is well aware of Sally Acorn at least, so I'd not use that word to refer to said continuities and their characters, especially with how notorious and justifiably hated its incarnation of ol' Eggsy is. 

The more Penders was kept away from Sonic the better though. I find it intriguing that he had a Movieverse in mind before said concept came to fruition in 2012 with The Avengers, though. That wouldn't be a bad idea given the kind of thing that a Sega Multiverse Story could do for Sega, but that's just me thinking that putting Ristar, Vectorman, and Sonic together would be neat. I mean, if you're going to have a robot lackey with the Orbot name, it'd be nice to see an Orbot in Eggman's possession. 

It would be nice to see concept art of the MGM Sonic, but at this rate, it'd just be nice to hear something about the movie that's currently being made. A lone piece of concept art would suffice at this point. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...
On 1.4.2016 at 4:54 PM, LongcrierCat said:

It would be nice to see concept art of the MGM Sonic, but at this rate, it'd just be nice to hear something about the movie that's currently being made. A lone piece of concept art would suffice at this point. 

Yeah. That would be great.

On April 1, 2016 at 9:54 AM, LongcrierCat said:

"relatively obscure continuity"

You know, have any opinion that you will about the continuity, but obscure isn't the word I'd go for when non fans are even aware who the Freedom Fighters are. Said characters tend to show up in fan art from the Japanese fan artists as well and even Arin Hanson is well aware of Sally Acorn at least, so I'd not use that word to refer to said continuities and their characters, especially with how notorious and justifiably hated its incarnation of ol' Eggsy is. 

The more Penders was kept away from Sonic the better though. I find it intriguing that he had a Movieverse in mind before said concept came to fruition in 2012 with The Avengers, though. That wouldn't be a bad idea given the kind of thing that a Sega Multiverse Story could do for Sega, but that's just me thinking that putting Ristar, Vectorman, and Sonic together would be neat. I mean, if you're going to have a robot lackey with the Orbot name, it'd be nice to see an Orbot in Eggman's possession. 

Knowing of them was largely down to having been on TV, which is worth a lot when it comes to recognizability, which might have been worth something if this movie was coming out around 1998 or so, but keep in mind that this movie was meant to come out in 2011. 

And the "shared universe" thing that DC and Marvel do is such a bad idea. Hey, instead of having a single decades long unbroken story arc for your comic, how about they all share the same canon so that you have one giant monstrosity of a canon stretching across years and books and labels. 

But technically the shared movie verse wasn't a completely new idea when marvel did it. Granted, they did go all in on it in a way that others before hadn't. The movie adaptation of "Red Sonjia" was canotical to "Conan the Barbarian" and "Conan the Destroyer". Ok, now that I'm fact checking this I'm finding that for some reason I missremebered Lady Penelope getting her own spin off show, but Bruce Timm also kind of went for this with the first DC animated universe.

• 1 year later...

I still wonder what happened to these so called details about the 1995 MGM movie that Blake Harris supposedly wanted to share with us.