Awoo.

Sega Plans 2016 Thread "Join us for Dancing with the Sonic" "25th party livestream links in OP"

Badnik Mechanic

Temp Edit: How to watch the 25th party.

Youtube: 

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/sonicofficial

Motobug chat/stream: http://taima.tv/r/Motobug

Hello and welcome to the Sega 2016 plans topic!

In this topic we talk about Sega and all the various things it looks like they've got planned for 2016/announced in 2016.

In here we discuss Sega news which on its own, probably doesn't deserve its own topic but is still exciting and in time might build up to something more exciting. This topic is the train station, not the hype train itself. Say someone finds something which hints at a new game, but doesn't out rightly state it, then we'll probably talk about it here.

First, let's just quickly go over a few things.

Rumors: Very few people do this now, but just for SSMB housekeeping sake.

Please do not post rumors.

What is a rumour? Basically, something which has absolutely nothing to back it up. And no that dodgy email screenshot which shows no information or evidence doesn't make your rumour anything other than a rumour.

To post a baseless rumour, you'll probably get this reaction...

Evidence: The foundation of every good/exciting bit of news, evidence can be anything, interviews, video, tweets from developers/people in the industry, (though be careful here), conferences and news events. etc etc. Basically, anything with a source that is easily traceable.

Evidence is not: Wikipedia edits, fan Wikipedia edits, Random youtube video, random forum member X's random post of random things.

Speculation: Speculation typically falls into two camps, the first is justified, the second is unjustified or as I like to call it 'going off on one.'

First of all, justified speculation.

This is when you find some evidence which has a clear source, only it doesn't out rightly say something, but suggests or hints at something. Now on its own it might be any manner of things, only over time more evidence may come up that deepens the speculation and gets us closer to the truth behind the item.

E.g. Last year I found an interview with Segas licensing manager regarding the franchise... and I think it was Blue Blood noticed this line

"In 2014 we're looking to expand Sonic into more licensing opportunities such as Books, comics, toys and television"

The television bit was new information, but too vague to know for sure.

Then we got that Dave Polksy rumour and things really got interesting...

Then later in the year this was found...

Suddenly, there's nearly enough to start a topic on its own.

Unjustified Speculation or... going off on one however is something which can... get annoying more than anything.

E.g.

"Sonic is a new shade of blue in this image, that means Sonic will be a new shade of blue in the next game!"

Pages later this is still being debated. This is going off on one. Yes there's some official evidence which shows Sonic as a different shade of blue... but there is nothing to support any wild theories about design change or anything else you might get from that.

Misinformation & Hoaxing

Hoaxing... You have a random photo of an unannounced game? You have a screenshot of an email conversation? You have a magazine scan? You have details of an unannounced game? Well you'd better be willing to cough up something other than 'I'm on an NDA' or able to provide something solid as to where this information came from.

Misinformation is posting or manipulating o information to give a specific effect or convey a certain message which isn't accurate.

e.g. "This game is full of microtransactions!"

Ok... and how do they impact the game? Do they force/trick you into using them?  Can you unlock everything without using them?

Be wary when 'assuming.'

As Mike Pollock once said on TSS

P.S. Please use the report function if things get a tad too crazy, do not PM TSS staff.

• Thumbs Up 4

I knew things were to kick off for SEGA at April, I just knew it. Time to see what they have to provide for us over the upcoming months.

"Hello and welcome to the Sega 2014 plans topic!"

Hi, I think you're two years late. 

• Thumbs Up 9

Well let's get start with the news. 

Sega appoints Ivo Gerscovich as head of Sonic brand outside Japan...

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2016/03/sega-appoints-ivo-gerscovich-as-head-of-sonic-brand-outside-japan/

And he has something VERY interesting in his linked in profile.

7UnjXv1.png

"Theme Park Licensing" Erm... Ok that sounds cool, now... this could be something like the UFO catcher machines or the Sega Amusement games, but typically they're called 'amusements' and this is mainly handled by the EU side of Sega. So.... Theme Park licensing?

1 minute ago, Detective Reptiles said:

"Hello and welcome to the Sega 2014 plans topic!"

Hi, I think you're two years late. 

Bill_and_Ted_Phone_Booth.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, BxB-Meister said:

Does this count?

Sure does.

HATSUNE MIKUUUUUUUUU

I mean I already heard about it but y'know, EXCITING. Thought we'd have to wait until next year for it to come to America.

The Puyo reskin has been put to rest

http://www.seganerds.com/2016/03/31/sega-to-end-service-for-controversial-puyo-puyo-quest-reskin-game/

&

The Sega/Atlus deal has come full circle

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sega-completes-acquisition-of-atlus/1100-6436198/

also big news in the article Takashi Iizuka is moving from Sega Japan to oversee work in the US at Sega's HQ in Los Angeles, in fact...

• Thumbs Up 2

So apparently Iizuka is back in the US to 'oversee Sonic game development'

Unless of course this is all part of our April shenanigans for this year.

There's also this but I've no idea where his source is:

15 hours ago, -Ace- said:

Also big news in the article Takashi Iizuka is moving from Sega Japan to oversee work in the US at Sega's HQ in Los Angeles, in fact...

Oh, that sounds great. I think it was about time. If he finally decides to intervene into the development of Sonic, that means something GOOD will happen finally. I really loved the works of Iizuka, so I hope he will arrange the things with Sonic.

So Ian Flynn, Archie Sonic head writer, has had an interview with 'PREVIEWSworld' just recently where he discussed the upcoming 'Mega Drive' comic. What I found interesting was that when asked about how it would tie into the 25th anniversary he replied saying, "Sega is putting a lot of emphasis on the Classic Era's style so we are doing so in kind".

He also mentioned it is being written and designed like a "lost" Mega Drive game and it also wouldn't be the last surprise Archie has in store for the 25th anniversary.

Again another company using the Classic Era style for their tie-in 25th anniversary products, and in a round-a-bout way mentioning its to match Sega's plans. Hogfather I would say that's another notch in your classic theory belt wouldn't you?

• Thumbs Up 3

Lost? Perhaps they would in fact add Hidden Palace to Sonic 2's story? Or the stuff before Sonic 1? Anyway, this anniversary will indeed be Classic focused. All things pointing at a return to form with a true Genesis-styled game.

Thinking on keeping both camps happy, what if it was an Adventure style of game, multiple characters, hub areas, mini games etc, but set in the Classic era, using the old designs and asthetics. Like an expanded Sonic World from Sonic Jam, before it became all modernized and turned into Sonic Adventure as we know it today.

A "Classic Adventure" if you will. That's my interesting thought for the day all used up >.<

• Thumbs Up 1

I can see a world where this could happen, and it could be totaly bitching. Sonic Classic Adventure, set between say, Sonic 3&K and Sonic Adventure? Sonic Team could even use the nendoroid hybrid as base for Sonic's design, which is a mid-term between Classic and Adventure. Even the Runners models already have that feel.

41W2JkmgOVL._SY355_.jpgsonic_runners___modern_sonic_by_sonicx20

Gimme goddamn Tails and Knuckles to play as well as a simple, yet consistent and mature, story and it's gold. 10/10 would play it again.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Tenko said:

A "Classic Adventure" if you will. That's my interesting thought for the day all used up >.<

46 minutes ago, Jango said:

I can see a world where this could happen, and it could be totaly bitching.

I could also imagine people bitching if Sega named the game "Classic Adventure". I would love an Adventure Style Sonic game with more Classic themes than modern. Hell, that would be my dream game if it played well, but imagine all of the people who would complain about the name having "Adventure" without a #3 next to it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, McGroose said:

I could also imagine people bitching if Sega named the game "Classic Adventure". I would love an Adventure Style Sonic game with more Classic themes than modern. Hell, that would be my dream game if it played well, but imagine all of the people who would complain about the name having "Adventure" without a #3 next to it. 

Due to the art released so far, and the packaging for the plush and action figures that have been shown, all with this heavy pixel design, as well as the term "Pixel Sonic" being used, I'm still banking on whatever main new game we see having some connection with all of that.

With Sega also pushing the Classic Era designs in its merch partnerships however, it's mixed signals, either this main game is going to have a classic design or feel to it as well as this 'pixel' mechanic, or there is going to be a secondary game that has heavy use of these older designs releasing alongside the main title, perhaps a smaller handheld or digital title.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Tenko said:

as well as the term "Pixel Sonic" being used

Why is this still a thing? It was used only once and it was quickly pushed aside to being called Classic again.

• Thumbs Up 1

Probably because of behind the scenes reasons and not an official declaration. That and I believe Aaron debunked it.

I can't even find the time they used it, so it's a very obscure reference. I think if it meant something, we'd have much more.

11 hours ago, Tenko said:

Thinking on keeping both camps happy, what if it was an Adventure style of game, multiple characters, hub areas, mini games etc, but set in the Classic era, using the old designs and asthetics. Like an expanded Sonic World from Sonic Jam, before it became all modernized and turned into Sonic Adventure as we know it today.

Sonic Adventure Zero?  Or maybe, Sonic Adventure... Genesis?  The titles are pretty much ready-made thanks to the power of clichés.

2 hours ago, SSF1991 said:

I can't even find the time they used it, so it's a very obscure reference. I think if it meant something, we'd have much more.

It was from that 25th Anniversary article in the Toyworld magazine, about the licencing initiative and new style guides etc.

I only brought it up as it fits so nicely with the pixel shapes on the promo action figure and plush packaging, as well as the 25th artwork with the old looking 2D landscape pixelating and reforming as the more modern 3D looking landscape, as well as that post on social media with Classic Sonic's head exploding into small square/pixel shapes and reforming as Modern Sonic. Could still be coincidence, or reading into it too much, but the more it crops up the more I'm personally thinking that term 'Pixel Sonic' may be less a mistake and more a "mistake".