Awoo.

Sega Plans 2016 Thread "Join us for Dancing with the Sonic" "25th party livestream links in OP"

Badnik Mechanic

I would want a 3rd Boom game just to tie it off nicely. this franchise almost always ties off games in sets of 3s, besides I would like to see what Sanzaru can do with with a 3rd title.

4 hours ago, goku262002 said:

I would want a 3rd Boom game just to tie it off nicely. this franchise almost always ties off games in sets of 3s, besides I would like to see what Sanzaru can do with with a 3rd title.

But Fire & Ice is the third Boom game.

There's an argument that RoL effectively doesn't "count" towards the Shattered Crystal and Fire & Ice line; different console, different developers, different gameplay, the stories are mutually exclusive...  Granted, I'm not sure that there's much to substantiate the idea of the Sonic franchise as particularly trilogy-heavy.  The classic series may have only three numbered titles, but it's four or five games long.  Two Adventure titles, though you could say that any of Heroes, Shadow, and '06 came from the same place.  I guess you could argue for three console Boost titles - Unleashed, Colours, and Generations - but Unleashed is quite different from the latter two.  Two Storybook games.  Three Advance games, I guess, and you could bracket Colours DS in with Rush and Rush Adventure...  But yeah, the three-game-set idea seems highly subjective.  Console lifespan seems to be the biggest factor in style changes, and I don't want to be the one to predict whether the 3DS'll last long enough for a third Sanzaru Boom game, not when nobody knows what the NX is.

• Thumbs Up 4

8 hours ago, SonicEkkusu said:

This'll be an interesting interview...

13406702_1009034442479262_23685703427612

Aaron Webber actually accepted the invite.

First Penders & Sonic Revolution 2016. Now Webber & True Sonic Spirit Channel. Good luck Aaron.

For those wondering how Aaron will do here is how he answered a rather odd question without any preperation.

He'll be fine.

• Thumbs Up 5

3 hours ago, Marcello said:

But Fire & Ice is the third Boom game.

Technically, yes you're right it is the 3rd sonic boom game. but you know what I meant, a 3rd sanzaru developed 3DS boom title.

No more boom. Leave that to the animated show. I would rather get a new Sonic all stars racing game. Those seem to do better.

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

No more boom. Leave that to the animated show. I would rather get a new Sonic all stars racing game. Those seem to do better.

There's going to be Boom games as long as the show is around and continues to be a hit.

59 minutes ago, Soni said:

There's going to be Boom games as long as the show is around and continues to be a hit.

Maybe for mobile, but if this does as bad as the last two, I wouldn't expect any more console games.

7 hours ago, Detective Hogfather said:

For those wondering how Aaron will do here is how he answered a rather odd question without any preperation.

He'll be fine.

Ah, my old video! I remember that night fondly... and the immense awkwardness of that moment (I was only two meters or so away) as he made a flawless recovery.

You can tell he's been so deep in the fandom for so long there really is nothing he can't handle.

• Thumbs Up 2

It does not mean they are listening. If Sega were listening they would have brought over pso2 because fans asked for that why not listen there? There are two main things to why sega is holding this off till 2017

1. To put the game on the NX. Even if they show a trailer the 22 of july expect a few weeks after *as i doubt they will show the logo in it* that the game will also launch as a launch game for the system.

2. Sega is not listening its simply they would not do this if they were not so bad about running things into the ground before they have to do something different. If it were not for so many medicore games lately they would be in better financial shape. The sad fact is Sega is not as steady as say Nintendo. They can no longer just churn out anything if they expect to stay around. They have been like this since the 90s. They could still have been in the console business but sadly they released to many addons and never supported them once they came out. Im looking at you 32x.

36 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

It does not mean they are listening. If Sega were listening they would have brought over pso2 because fans asked for that why not listen there? There are two main things to why sega is holding this off till 2017

1. To put the game on the NX. Even if they show a trailer the 22 of july expect a few weeks after *as i doubt they will show the logo in it* that the game will also launch as a launch game for the system.

2. Sega is not listening its simply they would not do this if they were not so bad about running things into the ground before they have to do something different. If it were not for so many medicore games lately they would be in better financial shape. The sad fact is Sega is not as steady as say Nintendo. They can no longer just churn out anything if they expect to stay around. They have been like this since the 90s. They could still have been in the console business but sadly they released to many addons and never supported them once they came out. Im looking at you 32x.

Good lord, what a mess.

First of all, PSO2 hasn't been, and probably won't be brought over because there is an ungodly amount to translate (the South East Asian English translation is incredibly poor quality), it would face heavy competition, and there's now a staggering amount of licensing hurdles due to the amount of crossover content in the game. SEGA have acknowledged PSO2 several times this year alone, so it's not that they don't listen.

As for your other points;

1. There's absolutely nothing backing this NX theory up. Like, literally nothing.

2. Exactly; so by holding this off, they're assuring they're not just churning it out for the sake of it. They're doing what you want them to do; I assume it's just not happening quick enough for your liking. Hell, even outside of Sonic, SEGA's doing better nowadays, with games like Yakuza 5 and Miku: Mirai DX releasing to strong reviews. 

32X and the like was friggin' years ago, what on earth this has to do with SEGA in 2016 I have no idea. 

• Thumbs Up 5

23 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Good lord, what a mess.

First of all, PSO2 hasn't been, and probably won't be brought over because there is an ungodly amount to translate (the South East Asian English translation is incredibly poor quality), it would face heavy competition, and there's now a staggering amount of licensing hurdles due to the amount of crossover content in the game. SEGA have acknowledged PSO2 several times this year alone, so it's not that they don't listen.

As for your other points;

1. There's absolutely nothing backing this NX theory up. Like, literally nothing.

2. Exactly; so by holding this off, they're assuring they're not just churning it out for the sake of it. They're doing what you want them to do; I assume it's just not happening quick enough for your liking. Hell, even outside of Sonic, SEGA's doing better nowadays, with games like Yakuza 5 and Miku: Mirai DX releasing to strong reviews. 

32X and the like was friggin' years ago, what on earth this has to do with SEGA in 2016 I have no idea. 

1. PSO2 has been stated multiple times on segas site and ruby once in the far past that the game was ready to go. But SOJ said no. And that was the end of it. It has noting to do with translation. While I will say the licensing issue is up there yet we got Jump Ultimate stars over here so its not as if they could not do it. 

2. Than lets assume there is noting to tie this to the NX. Why have mario at your show? Why announce the game will not come out until some point in 2017 when all you have done is tease that you have been working on a game all year through memes on your social platforms

and the 32 x reference was mostly to show sega never really learns. Its the main reason they are no longer in the console business. Strong reviews are good. But sales are what push a product. I can think a movie is good, but unless it pulls in ticket sells that means noting on the end.

All in all noting can be really said until the 22nd of july. But you be bet my ice cream collection if the NX is announced in any form of getting this game ill be yelling it to the high heavens. Just like I had people doubt me on why they delayed the new LOZ. I said well duh the NX why else. and boom come a few months later nintendo drops the Oh yea were holding it off to bring it to both the wiiu and nx together.

Regardless you could be right. We will just have to wait and see \w/

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

Did everyone forget that a few years ago it was leaked that the new Sonic had an XBox One prototype?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Terriful said:

Did everyone forget that a few years ago it was leaked that the new Sonic had an XBox One prototype?

Yes....:ph34r:

• Thumbs Up 4

I think the thought that it'd be coming to NX holds a lot of water.

Sonic Team very much still values their partnership with Nintendo even with Lost World not being a huge success, and NX releasing Q1 2017 lines up pretty well with a Sonic game releasing in the first half of the upcoming year (if not actually being a launch title for said console). If Sega had the opportunity, they wouldn't count Nintendo out of the picture, in fact far from it.

Now if anyone's expecting it be an NX exclusive though (or that it's taking so long because it's waiting on NX), then they're silly.

• Thumbs Up 7

That's pretty much my theory as well. It's going to be another all stars racing transformed situation where it launch with the latest nintendo system but it was also a multi platform game.  Plus with what Iizuka said about sonic and Nintendo recently it might seem like a given at this point http://nintendoeverything.com/sega-on-sonic-being-linked-to-nintendo-and-collaborating-with-the-company/

Exclusivity with Nintendo doesn't seem like a very smart or rewarding move at the moment. For anyone. Not them and certainly not us.

I have some good games for the Wii U but the console needed to stay living long enough for me to feel like I made a wise decision to purchase it. If I didn't, because of this exclusivity, it would mean that I would have had to wait a good 5 to 6 years before I got to play the next Sonic game after Generations. It wasn't a problem when a few Sonic games were exclusive for the Wii. The Wii was super cheap and lasted for so long. I actually could handle owning it and a 360. 

But a PS4 and an NX isn't happening. I'm going to get one or the other. I can't waste my time on something that's not going to last very long again either. For most, the Wii U is mostly just going to be remembered as that thing people used to play Smash 4 on. 

2 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

That's pretty much my theory as well. It's going to be another all stars racing transformed situation where it launch with the latest nintendo system but it was also a multi platform game.  Plus with what Iizuka said about sonic and Nintendo recently it might seem like a given at this point http://nintendoeverything.com/sega-on-sonic-being-linked-to-nintendo-and-collaborating-with-the-company/

Not again please!

• Thumbs Up 5

9 hours ago, Meta77 said:

1. PSO2 has been stated multiple times on segas site and ruby once in the far past that the game was ready to go. But SOJ said no. And that was the end of it. It has noting to do with translation. While I will say the licensing issue is up there yet we got Jump Ultimate stars over here so its not as if they could not do it. 

Because releasing an MMO in the west is such a surefire business decision, it's not like there's a monolithic competitor that could make it a huge financial risk.

52 minutes ago, Hyp3hat said:

Because releasing an MMO in the west is such a surefire business decision, it's not like there's a monolithic competitor that could make it a huge financial risk.

PSU did not hurt them.

That plus they brought over infinity 1 and 2 with limited online matches. If Onigiru is that how you spell it, can make it im sure sega would be fine ha.

11 hours ago, Meta77 said:

2. Than lets assume there is noting to tie this to the NX. Why have mario at your show? Why announce the game will not come out until some point in 2017 when all you have done is tease that you have been working on a game all year through memes on your social platforms

and the 32 x reference was mostly to show sega never really learns. Its the main reason they are no longer in the console business. Strong reviews are good. But sales are what push a product. I can think a movie is good, but unless it pulls in ticket sells that means noting on the end.

1. It's never been stated the game was ready to go. And if SEGA don't think the cost of licensing is worth it (as Namco did with Jump Stars), then tough luck. They're different companies with different business goals.

2. Mario was there for Mario and Sonic 2016, which was promoted at the event due to releasing two days earlier in Japan. It can be assumed the game won't be out until 2017 due to SEGA's announced focus on "quality over quantity;" simply put, the game won't be done until then. Not for the purpose of NX. 

I think an NX port is a reasonable assumption, but I severely doubt that's why they would delay it into 2017. 

Anyway, SEGA has learned plenty from the 32X, bloody hell. That was one of the worst disasters this side of the Western Saturn, compare that to the fact that SEGA's re bolstered IP-use in the West now (7th Dragon, Yakuza, Miku) and they're doing alright. The only real issue with SEGA at the moment is SEGA Europe. 

Everything is pointing to Nintendo trying to get as many games as possible into the Launch window/year of the NX, with nearly all their in-house studios(even the handheld ones) developing games for it, and that means they'll try to get as many third party ports/exclusives as possible.They know they can't sell on hardware hype like Sony and MS, and they don't want to. They like their systems to last as long as possible, so if they can get enough consumers on as possible they'll keep the NX going longer than the wii-u. Sega's a company they have a strong relationship with, heck we already had a number of years of Sonic exclusivity. Multiplat releases do not mean more money, the more platforms you make a game for the more licensing and development costs there are. So it may not be assured, but I definitely would not rule out the possibility of the next Sonic having some form of Nintendo exclusivity

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Meta77 said:

While I will say the licensing issue is up there yet we got Jump Ultimate stars over here so its not as if they could not do it.

funny thing about jump ultimate stars? it kinda only uses characters from shonen jump. in other words, not really comparable licensing-wise to the myriad crossovers PSO2 has had. A better comparison point would be, say, the non-original generation Super Robot Wars games that feature franchises from different companies all together.

...oh.

I heard tatsunoko vs. capcom was a fucking nightmare to get licensed, so much so that its probably going to stay dead on the Wii due to the licensing issues.