Awoo.

Sega Plans 2016 Thread "Join us for Dancing with the Sonic" "25th party livestream links in OP"

Badnik Mechanic

Man, what a freaking coincidence, I just had a dream with the suppose new game. It was a gameplay trailer with some CGI. For the looks of it: Generations 2, but not in the name. For some reason the logo was in japanese (it was a dream, don't ask). Showed scenes of Classic Sonic gameplay (exactly like Gens), but in original levels this time. One level I saw in the dream was similar to Azure Lake (Sonic 3), and other was similar to Lava Reef (S&K), graphics were in 3D, very polished, very colorful. The only Modern Sonic thing I remember was a scene in GCI, no actual gameplay. Boom!Sonic was in this scene too.

Trailer mentioned 6 power rings (?) or something like that as the game's macguffin. No Eggman in the dream.

So yeah. Basically Generations 2, but now with 3 Sonics and original levels. How would you feel?

4 minutes ago, Jango said:

So yeah. Basically Generations 2, but now with 3 Sonics and original levels. How would you feel?

Thoroughly disappointed. Honestly if the game hews too close to any existing Sonic game (3&K included; as much as I love it it's 2016 and it's just not enough anymore) I'll be disappointed. I know there's a pretty conservative "stick with what works" streak in the fanbase these days, and it's not entirely unwarranted given how the series has gone, but personally I'm really hoping they're going to shake things up and try something new.

• Thumbs Up 6

I want to see gameplay. By that I mean gameplay for an entirely new and original game. No more nostalgia repackaging. There's been enough of that already, no more.

I expect to see a non-descript CGI teaser. Fucking hope its not Generations 2. They can do remake levels as DLC, but not a whole game of it. Please.

• Thumbs Up 6

Yes; it seems very likely that they have put extra time into figuring out the best new game that could be created!  Not only is it kind of necessary that this new one lands feet first and keeps running; this time more than usual it is not just our wish but the wish of Sega & Sonic Team as well!  It fits with the idea of Sonic somehow, to have passed through many unpredictable challenges and then finally reaching a sense of completion and transformation.  

I don't know WHAT game will be announced. At this moment I'll believe in anything, ranging from Adventure 3 to Generations 2 (even Labyrinth 2... O_o ). As for how... CGI/gameplay trailer. Maybe a graphic or two, 2 days before party. Maybe. Also, I hope for some news about BBFA3... but probably I'm alone in that... Still, can't wait. 

Also, do you remember those rumors about those 2 Sonic team's games? Do you think it's still possible? I do not mean in 2016, thats off the table. I mean until the end of 25th anniversary.

In terms of what they could show at the event, a trailer with gameplay and some cutscenes/dialogue would suffice.

I hope beyond hope it's coming to PS4. No offence but I am sick of the games being released exclusive to Nintendo consoles, especially as the last few have been so poor.

I wouldn't mind if they stuck to the parkour formula established in SLW, but some improvements are needed; such as better physics and sticking to a consistent level theme. At the same time I wouldn't mind something completely new, but the very thought feels me with dread. I mean, Sonic Team have introduced so many new types of gameplay over the last 15 years, what on earth could they come up with this time???

1 hour ago, Kfarc said:

Also, do you remember those rumors about those 2 Sonic team's games? Do you think it's still possible? I do not mean in 2016, thats off the table. I mean until the end of 25th anniversary.

I don't remember any rumors about that, but hey, I guess it's possible. If there are two games being developed, then a console game and 3ds game seems more likely.

3 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

I took two days off of work on the 22nd and 23rd. Both to adequately prep myself and for the aftershock of either pure bliss or pure disappointment.

I'll be ordering 2 pounds of chicken wings and drinking a stout like a mofo.

Currently lifting iron so the hole I punch in the wall from excitement/disappointment for Sonic 2017 will have meaning

By sheer chance I also have 22nd and 23rd off. Bojack Horseman season 3 also drops on Netflix on the 22nd so it's going to be a goooood weekend.

4 hours ago, Kfarc said:

You speak of that Origin of Chaos thing right? They came clean and admitted that it was faked

Lest you speak of the TSSZ rumor then... maybe? They used to do Adventure era and Advance together. One bigger game accompanied by a smaller game. They COULD do it again, but will they? That remains to be seen.

16 hours ago, Hero of Legend said:

Here's a question. What will the reactions be if either of the following happens:

1. Game is announced. No platforms known. No in-game media and instead either a CG Coconut Gun trailer, or even nothing but a Press Release.

or

2. The game is completely absent. Aaron just goes "I never actually said it would be there!".

What would people say/think?

You could probably guess the platforms. No last gen systems

2. I would just say F you sega and focus on other games coming out this year.

I seem like the only person in this thread who would be super happy with another boost game - you get people saying 'Oh, I want an adventure style game with genesis physics' and that's like saying 'what if you had an apple that tasted like an orange?'

Or 'Adventure style platforming', which is what pretty much failed with Heroes, StH, and 06, Sonic's nadir as a franchise - it's incredibly difficult to balance that stuff, and what seems to have happened is that the Sonic Adventures were some sort of happy accident that they could not make any faster or build upon in any meaningful fashion. Anything they did to that formula was a failure.

The boost gameplay is solid enough that it lasted 3 (critically acclaimed, for the most part) iterations with mechanical evolutions and tweaks without the feeling of play suffering in the process. I feel players who say 'oh, it's boost-to-win' haven't actually grasped how those games work mechanically, there's a lot of things going on in Unleashed, Colours, and Gens (to a lesser extent, because of the level length) in terms of secret routes, shortcuts, tricks and the rest, and the game incentivises replayability and mastery of Sonics moveset. These are good things in hedgehogs. 

4 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Like...you do know that the Adventures had roughly-accurate Genesis-styled physics, right? They were just heavily downplayed due to the different gameplay genres, poor collision detection, relatively flat levels, Sonic not having a roll outside of the spindash, excessive automation, etc. It's not hard to imagine the same core gameplay but with more focus put on physics-based gameplay.

2D physics and 3D physics are entirely different, and depend on completely different things. Sonic needs a homing attack, for example, because it's trickier to line up jumps in 3D space.

Automation happens because, in 3D space, the amount of variables present means that a player could die unnecessarily in a setpiece due to angles not being correct (this happens in Sonic games all the time, tbh).

Sonic doesn't have a roll in 3D because that removes control from the player, which is more crucial in 3D space due to more variables in placing - jump to stop your roll  in a 3D plane and you could fall off and die, less likely to happen in 2D space.

Or to rephrase - are there many 3D platformers that have 2D style momentum physics? Sonic's speed is an issue here. I'm not sure we're going to convince each other here, tbh. 

30 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

You're coming at this like there hasn't been 15+ years of nerds arguing the minutia of Sonic gameplay.

1) I'm new to the whole discussing hedgehogs business, and 2) I did say we weren't going to convince each other either way, so give me some credit!

I will say that Sonic's speed is the biggest barrier you're going to have to the 'genesis in 3D' Sonic game, though - if your character is moving slowly, it's much less likely they're going to clip through levels or the like. Speed will only expose the flaws that are inherent in 90% of game design (if watching speedruns has taught me anything), that's how games are designed. I mean, levels being 'dental floss over the grand canyon' just isn't unique to Sonic games. 

13 hours ago, Hyp3hat said:

1) I'm new to the whole discussing hedgehogs business, and 2) I did say we weren't going to convince each other either way, so give me some credit!

I will say that Sonic's speed is the biggest barrier you're going to have to the 'genesis in 3D' Sonic game, though - if your character is moving slowly, it's much less likely they're going to clip through levels or the like. Speed will only expose the flaws that are inherent in 90% of game design (if watching speedruns has taught me anything), that's how games are designed. I mean, levels being 'dental floss over the grand canyon' just isn't unique to Sonic games. 

This isn't necessarily true. Speed isn't the be-all or end-all of exposing problems (or more accurately IMO, design limitations; no game structure is foolproof) of a game, speedrunning or otherwise. You can have games where you can move slowly or not move at all and still clip through floors or glitch through walls; the player's speed in scenarios like that would be an irrelevant factor on how (well) the game was put together.

And I don't know how you can say speed would be a barrier to having Genesis Sonic gameplay in 3D when you have spoken in favor of the Unleashed playstyle as it is. The Genesis games did allow you to move at fast speeds, but the Unleashed playstyle arguably allows the player to go even faster than those games would allow, and do so on a more consistently frequent basis. That's practically trying to have your cake and eat it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Id personally love to see sonic team incorporate sonic adventure 1 movement with phsyics and level design elements as seen on marvle blast ultra. Particularly the downhill level as seen 1:10 of the attached video.

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, Riverstone said:

Id personally love to see sonic team incorporate sonic adventure 1 movement with phsyics and level design elements as seen on marvle blast ultra. Particularly the downhill level as seen 1:10 of the attached video.

I actually quite like this. I think it's a bit too floaty and there would need to be a level of "heaviness" added to the sphere along with more attention directed at momentum and acceleration/braking to make it more Sonic-like (as Sonic obviously has more mass than a marble), but that's quite on the right track to how Sonic should act in rolling position in 3D. Levels like this have a chance of working too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally i'd love it if sega tried and improved on the parkour since lost world really didn't make much of any good use of it (a few levels sort of scratched the surface but still only used it for minimal tasks), could see it making way for some really open ended level design and creating some interesting scenarios for the player to get through. If not that then I would also like to see something akin to this:

Either way i'd be happy.

• Thumbs Up 4

22 minutes ago, MegasonicZX said:

Personally i'd love it if sega tried and improved on the parkour since lost world really didn't make much of any good use of it (a few levels sort of scratched the surface but still only used it for minimal tasks), could see it making way for some really open ended level design and creating some interesting scenarios for the player to get through. If not that then I would also like to see something akin to this:

Either way i'd be happy.

That video is awesome. Thats EXACTLY what I thought sonic 06 was going to be like when they showed the inital e3 trailer. 

Guys, don't know about you, but how you're so hyped about the event when we don't have nothing confirmed to be revealed... let it be game or movie, etc. We just had beed told that we don't wanna miss the party because something very important will be there and that's it. I can understand expectations about a game since we haven't gotten one in a long time but come on.. Let there be something announced firstly so that it will be something to be hyped about.

I know I kinda sweep away the positiveness of all of this but let's think real... It's just the hope that there will be something good for real, but hype.. no-no-no

This post expresses a personal opinion and none of the readers is invoked to follow this advice.