Awoo.

Sega Plans 2016 Thread "Join us for Dancing with the Sonic" "25th party livestream links in OP"

Badnik Mechanic

5 minutes ago, Scar said:

Maybe they're keeping things close to their chest.

Hope the game will be as good as their new security methods ha ha!

• Thumbs Up 6

16 minutes ago, Joy said:

The fact that they're saying "future of Sonic" rather than just "what's next" or "the latest" does make it sound like whatever's getting shown off is going to have some sort of lasting effect for Sonic. Having said that, it could literally just be referring to the next game and it would still be accurate so who knows.

I don't see the cast getting redesigned, SEGA seem pretty content to keep Sonic as he is. At most, they'd decide to just use the Runners designs which seems to be the happy hybrid between classic and modern. Lost World already tweaked Sonic a little from Generations. His quills were definitely a lot shorter and I think his legs and belly were tweaked a little too.

I'm guessing that their goal here is to finally establish what Sonic is. It's been a long-time issue that SEGA needs to just decide what they want to do with Sonic and focus on making that the best it can be. They've already mentioned that they might "lose some fans along the way" with what's to come so that definitely sounds to me like they're finally choosing one concept and just sticking with it rather than keeping up the impossible fight to please anyone and everyone.

If we're placing bets here I'd say that we're getting a new gameplay style but one that takes inspiration from what's already worked. I can't see the Lost World style coming back without at least the cylinder levels and run button being dropped and I think they've had their fill with the established boost gameplay. 

When did they say the bolded? Can't recall any statements like such.

2 minutes ago, Toa Axis said:

https://mynintendonews.com/2015/10/31/sega-wants-to-make-sonic-relevant-with-new-and-longtime-fans/

“When we look at bringing Sonic to modern-day gamers, we … obviously want to appeal to as many people as possible but still focus on what it means to be Sonic and a Sonic game. Maybe that might lose some fans along the road, but we’re picking up new fans that will hopefully grow with us as Sonic grows.”

• Thumbs Up 4

6 minutes ago, Toa Axis said:

Can confirm it's been said, can't remember the source of it, but it is a real thing.

We're going to classic era for sure.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Can confirm it's been said, can't remember the source of it, but it is a real thing.

No one ever said we're going back to the classic era. It's likely, but nothing has been concrete on that.

And before we once again say merch = proof, no it's not. Classic Sonic merch has been a thing for years now, it's just that the 25th anni is taking full advantage of that.

Sonic's design isn't changing anytime soon, in fact Iizuka just recently made it clear that Sonic's modern design is here to stay. What was mentioned was a need to bring value back to what it means to make a Sonic game, particularly "how the games played in their heyday".

No one is sure what that means, however; as it can mean anything between the return of momentum-based gameplay, to being a return to classic style aesthetics/conventions, to just being a 2D sidescroller. Sega's never been clear about what they mean by that.

Honestly even if it was a 2D side scroller one with this much time on it means it would be bursting with content, which is something the Sonic games haven't had in a LONG time. If it plays like a 2D game and is pretty meaty that's pretty much a winner right there.

• Thumbs Up 8

2 minutes ago, Azoo said:

And before we once again say merch = proof, no it's not. Classic Sonic merch has been a thing for years now, it's just that the 25th anni is taking full advantage of that.

It's not just the merch.

Whilst all merchandise released/announced this year is classic themed.

New classic themed art assets being made.

Archie comics having classic Sonic in their mainline issues

Archie comics MegaDrive + sequel comic adaptation.

All the assets and promotional materials at trade shows has been classic themed.

The fact Sega said at one of their trade shows that the modern license wasn't up for grabs.

Other than the Boom plush, all the stuff in the party goody bag is classic themed.

Vs... absolutely nothing modern Sonic themed at all, no really there's nothing, not just merch, but promotional materials too, there is nothing. 

Yet Sega will compliment that with a modern Sonic game? Well alright but it's utter lunacy to do that if you're going to promote and try to sell it with totally different era of material.

Or maybe they're not looking at the Sonic series as separate pieces anymore, like they did before (Boom could've had a big part in bringing unity to the Sega side of Sonic)? Classic Sonic is extremely nostalgic for people, and what way to remind people of the beginning of the franchise than with classic based material?

It could very well be a classic styled game, but this still spells out nothing concrete for me. Go ahead and make bold claims before announcements if you want though! :v

10 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Honestly even if it was a 2D side scroller one with this much time on it means it would be bursting with content, which is something the Sonic games haven't had in a LONG time. If it plays like a 2D game and is pretty meaty that's pretty much a winner right there.

Agreed, though at the same time it'll only feed the idiots who will say "well you see this was a good game because it was 2D and Sonic in 3D doesn't work bluh bluh bluh" so I'm not sure how I'd feel about them not proving that shit wrong before going back to a mainstream 2D title. :P

• Thumbs Up 5

25 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Bearing in mind "we're definitely getting an announcement on June 23rd", this must mean we're NOT going back to the Classic era.

I really hope they gave it some thought before deciding to use the words "The Future of Sonic". That sounds incredibly morbid and scary. Especially for someone like me who didn't get into the series through Classic Sonic and 2D oriented games. And the 2.5 D stuff is one of the big things that held Lost World back for me so hearing anymore about that doesn't inspire much hope.

God. It sucks that my mind immediately jumps to the absolute worst case scenario. Like I feel like some guy is gonna get on stage and be like "Yeah. First order of business is more Boom games forever! And only Classic Sonic and 2D forever. And also the other characters only appear in hand-helds and the Olympics forever. And Pontaff stories with forced jokes are forever. And Diamonds are no longer forever because we stole them all to make the incredibly new fortified Sonic Bible that says all of this is forever. Oh and Big the Cat memes."

And after all that, the games would still get shit on. It sounds like my worst nightmare. I bet there's tons of people who wouldn't mind a lot of that either.

1 hour ago, Azoo said:

Agreed, though at the same time it'll only feed the idiots who will say "well you see this was a good game because it was 2D and Sonic in 3D doesn't work bluh bluh bluh" so I'm not sure how I'd feel about them not proving that shit wrong before going back to a mainstream 2D title. :P

I'm not saying they're right, but I wonder sometimes if Sonic Team just isn't capable of it. In that case, it's probably better they stick to what they're good at.  

Of course, their track record with 2D is wishy washy too so we might just be fucked regardless, BUT WE'LL SEE

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Bearing in mind "we're definitely getting an announcement on June 23rd", this must mean we're NOT going back to the Classic era.

Actually I was right, we did get an announcement on that date, wasn't the game, but we got one for a merchandise line. 

6 minutes ago, Azoo said:

Advertising classic Sonic a lot doesn't mean much when classic Sonic and modern Sonic are both Sonic.

It does when you're trying to sell licenses for an extremely high amount of money.

Sega breaks up all their licenses as much as possible to maximise the amount of money it can make. Take the Lego game, the only reason that has happened now is because Meccano no longer hold the license for 'construction based toys', Lego now has that.

Ones which they are actively supporting tend to be more lucrative both to Sega and buyers since it acts as 'free' two way promotion, for franchises or licenses which are not being actively promoted, the license is much less attractive, which is why it's highly suspect if the next game is modern Sonic based but all the licensing deals so far appear to be classic in nature.

Orrrrrrrrrrr they're being as hush about stuff directly related to what's gonna appear in the game in marketing as they have literally everywhere else.

Call that ridiculous, but this next Sonic game isn't slated until most likely next year anyways, and classic Sonic will absolutely 100% for sure make bank for them in the meantime.

13 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Actually I was right, we did get an announcement on that date, wasn't the game, but we got one for a merchandise line. 

wKKCv2h.png

cexNzN3.png

No, I'm pretty sure you were implying it was going to be a game. Particularly that comment. 

2 minutes ago, Azoo said:

Orrrrrrrrrrr they're being as hush about stuff directly related to what's gonna appear in the game in marketing as they have literally everywhere else.

Unlikely, because nothing has as of yet been leaked or hinted at, whilst Sega can keep a lot of it silence, license holders cannot, they need to reveal stuff much early and this year especially has been quite a goldmine for news lately since the license holders have had to publish or tease their stuff in various publications. Even an advert published by Sega itself recently leaked a few announcements, some of which have yet to been made. 

And it's not just in the west either, even the Japanese material has all been classic in nature.

Utterly everything points at a classic themed title in some way, if it's not, it's not, but if that is a modern Sonic themed game then it's complete lunacy that there's all this stuff releasing around it which doesn't support the era.

Just now, Tracker said:

No, I'm pretty sure you were implying it was going to be a game. Particularly that comment. 

Well Sega have started doing month log teasers for jewellery. Who would have guessed? Also it was classic in nature again so yeah.

9 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Utterly everything points at a classic themed title in some way, if it's not, it's not, but if that is a modern Sonic themed game then it's complete lunacy that there's all this stuff releasing around it which doesn't support the era.

Or if Sega's actually trying to set a new standard for Sonic, maybe they're not trying to separate Sonic into eras like they were before with Generations? Maybe classic Sonic is just his old design?

I honestly always thought that was lunacy, the fact that it's now okay that we go out of our way to split the series into wildly different chunks and expect such-and-such elements to stay in it's lane.

In a time where now the series is disconnected enough as-is by Sonic Boom, trying to make another classic era game to emphasize the split ends in this franchise IMO is stupid and counter-productive to setting a consistent standard that they seem to want to do so badly. If they want to make another 2D classic game then they could go ahead (and it could very well be great!) but it'll only break that even further.

• Thumbs Up 6

10 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Well Sega have started doing month log teasers for jewellery. Who would have guessed? Also it was classic in nature again so yeah.

F2bPEA8.jpg

...uh huh. Look at all that Classic. 

Technically that 2nd one on the Classic side should've been on the border too, but I didn't want doughnut Sonic to be too lonely. 

• Thumbs Up 2

@Tracker There's actually a lot more classic stuff on Twitter/etc than that. Notably the one where they're in the pool, the picnic one, the meteor one, etc. There's been a lot of those doodles, and the merch and 25th anni icon do count for something, but your (also my) point is still valid.

Also what Dio said.

Just now, Azoo said:

@Tracker There's actually a lot more classic stuff on Twitter/etc than that. Notably the one where they're in the pool, the picnic one, the meteor one, etc. There's been a lot of those doodles, and the merch and 25th anni icon do count for something, but your (also my) point is still valid.

Also what Dio said.

I was just going through June in particular, since the "month-long teasers" up to June 23rd were what I was responding to. 

If we are arguing that much without barely any official information, I can imagine this thread will hit a hundred pages in about an hour after the reveal... Or less. #thessmbwillgodown

• Thumbs Up 4