Awoo.

Sega Plans 2016 Thread "Join us for Dancing with the Sonic" "25th party livestream links in OP"

Badnik Mechanic

I think I'll actually cry if we get a Sonic Team game that's basically Generations minus Modern Sonic, I wouldn't even care about those who'd get all smug about it turning out to be good. Though I'd rather not have it be too in-your-face with callbacks to the past, because I really do want a new 2D Sonic to be as nonchalant about it being a sidescroller, like the handheld games from Sonic Advance to Sonic Colors DS, being all "hey, it's just the x and y axes now, do as you would and have fun" while keeping the general style Sonic's known for; No chiptuney music, 100% 2D graphics, or classic badniks, unless the game's theme is pure nostalgia and has a reason to be that way, like Generations. I'd also like to see the characters stylized as they were in Sonic Runners, they're a really nice subtle mix of pudgy-shorty classic and thin-physique modern, and the style fits the series so much in my eyes.

• Thumbs Up 2

well, i would be pretty excited if it turns out to be classic only. would play the hell out of that game...but thats because i'm a classic fanboy i suppose.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2 hours ago, Toa Axis said:

Not a chance in hell. Not after Boom. (EDIT: beaten by Dizcrybe)

I wouldn't be surprised if Sonic Team has had some internal restructuring in Boom's wake, actually.

I personally hope so. I don't think those who are currently pivot the series even understand Sonic from a pure conceptual level, let alone are aware what people want and/or expect out of it. While Sega CEOs and PR are in unison about bringing Sonic closer to his roots, I really hold my doubts that Sonic Team are on the same page; if anything, I suspect that if they did go back to any of the previous games, they would miss the point of its appeal and its qualities just like with Sonic 4.

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

Honestly even if it was a 2D side scroller one with this much time on it means it would be bursting with content, which is something the Sonic games haven't had in a LONG time. If it plays like a 2D game and is pretty meaty that's pretty much a winner right there.

Not if the level design wasn't good. And on both sides of the coin (Sonic Team and Dimps), level design hasn't been anything worth writing home about for a long time in my book.

3 hours ago, Gabe said:

I suspect that if they did go back to any of the previous games, hey would miss the point of its appeal and its qualities just like with Sonic 4.

Generations and, no joke, Runners keep me from believing that. I say Runners because that game at points reminded me of how Sonic 2 plays when you know how to time your jumps right, with all the badnik bouncing and safe landings that Runners rewards you with, same applies for Classic Sonic levels in Gens.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly with the weird luls and tricks they've been doing in the PR department for Sonic online, I think they've been doing a really good job of just leaving people in the dark about what's to come, but still keep you engaged. Yes Classic Sonic has been stapled more often than before, but I honestly can't hold any water that it's 100% confirmed a classic sonic themed video game. I mean are chances high? Yeah, probably, given that's what most people (looking outside of our fan crazed Sonic box here) want. But that said, until I see something actually happen I'll continue to hold my breath, since for all I know they're throwing us for a loop and it's something completely out of left-field that we aren't expecting but is still welcome. They seem to really be treasuring this new Sonic game this time around with all their mentions of quality control, and I wouldn't be too surprised if when the flood gates open it's something completely unexpected and stellar (whether it's classic or modern). Hell I kinda expect it being extremely "classic" to it's core but just plugging in modern models at this point. Maybe all the promotional work of Classic is to pre-order for a Classic Sonic skin? Not too unimaginable.

But IDK let's be honest, if we're using everything thrown at us this year to see what kind of Sonic game is going to happen on Friday, it's probably Aaron the Weber: Dank Twitter Memes feat. Sanic coming to PC as long as you subscribe to Game Grumps twitch account.

• Thumbs Up 7

While a lot of classic-inspired art has come out this year, I feel like that's more so because of the anniversary hype.  But even neglecting that, we've also been getting ludicrous amounts of teasing with things like Big's Fishing Adventure 3 that have had fans speculating that the next game will be based on the Adventure games.  Doesn't mean it will, but it's hard to imagine they'd put so much effort into that kind of relentless teasing if they had no plans to take it further.  But you never know.   Like I said several pages before, they've really given us nothing to make a concrete judgment on, so I can't really anticipate rather the news will be good, bad, in between, or if it will even shake up the status quo if even a little bit or if I even would want that at this point.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm still trying to imagine what the fallout would be on both sides of the fanbase if it turned out to be an Adventure style game, but with all the classic characters as the playable roster, all done in a modern version of the classic style and tone since the classic side of Generations was so well received that they decided to run with it from a design standpoint.

Throw in the Chao, maybe a few hub areas to access levels from and just to cap it off bring back the missing characters that haven't said boo in the later part of the 25 years that have a decent sized fan base like Mighty and Nack...

I know I would be in like Flynn!!

58 minutes ago, Tara said:

While a lot of classic-inspired art has come out this year, I feel like that's more so because of the anniversary hype.  But even neglecting that, we've also been getting ludicrous amounts of teasing with things like Big's Fishing Adventure 3 that have had fans speculating that the next game will be based on the Adventure games.  Doesn't mean it will, but it's hard to imagine they'd put so much effort into that kind of relentless teasing if they had no plans to take it further.  But you never know.   Like I said several pages before, they've really given us nothing to make a concrete judgment on, so I can't really anticipate rather the news will be good, bad, in between, or if it will even shake up the status quo if even a little bit or if I even would want that at this point.

All of the Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3 teasing is for Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3. :V

23 minutes ago, TimmiT said:

All of the Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3 teasing is for Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3. :V

And Big's Fishing Adventure 3 teasing could in turn be subliminal teasing for something else.  It's no less egregious than saying "They're making classic-inspired Sonic merch like they always do, therefore we must be going back to the classic era."  My point was we have no idea, and it's a bit hasty to come to any conclusions as to where the next game will take us.

This is an old post certainly (2013): https://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/15180-segas-2013-plans/?do=findComment&comment=653589

and then this one from the same time period https://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/15180-segas-2013-plans/?do=findComment&comment=654707

``Just as a word to the wise: projects can, and often do, go through several iterations before they become a finalized project due to time constraints, change of plans around marketing/PR, timing, reactions to previous sales, etc. For example, I know of one title being made that has gone through three major changes (the most current being the one I'm most excited about, actually.) I have no idea if we'll see the third iteration of this title, if the project will mutate again, or if we'll see them go back to the older, second one. That call is going to be made later on and probably much closer to a PR announcement.``

^^ but it is still very positive to read now!  It was not clarified later on if this writing described Lost World or not.  The ideas behind it apply to whichever project they have been creating now as well!! :)^_^ 

I think the whole "future of Sonic" thing refers to everything in general. Boom, the movie, a new main series game, and maybe some merchandise. They teased in the hashtags to a Tumblr post within the past week that "all will be revealed", which kind of leads me to believe that this is a big coming-out party for Sonic news, kind of like the big Sonic Boom reveal in February of 2014.

• Thumbs Up 5

4 hours ago, Tracker said:

F2bPEA8.jpg

...uh huh. Look at all that Classic. 

Technically that 2nd one on the Classic side should've been on the border too, but I didn't want doughnut Sonic to be too lonely. 

I am betting it will be more than one game but one for certain might be sonic adventure 3. i want my choas.

3 hours ago, SSF1991 said:

I think the whole "future of Sonic" thing refers to everything in general. Boom, the movie, a new main series game, and maybe some merchandise. They teased in the hashtags to a Tumblr post within the past week that "all will be revealed", which kind of leads me to believe that this is a big coming-out party for Sonic news, kind of like the big Sonic Boom reveal in February of 2014.

okay I will fucking cry if both the movie and a new game is shown off on the same night

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't think we'll see footage of the new movie, but we might hear a detail or two about it, nothing major.

I know it's not very likely (though it was slated for 2017, wasn't it?) but if it were to happen, my goodness...

5 hours ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

I really hope they gave it some thought before deciding to use the words "The Future of Sonic". That sounds incredibly morbid and scary. Especially for someone like me who didn't get into the series through Classic Sonic and 2D oriented games. And the 2.5 D stuff is one of the big things that held Lost World back for me so hearing anymore about that doesn't inspire much hope.

God. It sucks that my mind immediately jumps to the absolute worst case scenario. Like I feel like some guy is gonna get on stage and be like "Yeah. First order of business is more Boom games forever! And only Classic Sonic and 2D forever. And also the other characters only appear in hand-helds and the Olympics forever. And Pontaff stories with forced jokes are forever. And Diamonds are no longer forever because we stole them all to make the incredibly new fortified Sonic Bible that says all of this is forever. Oh and Big the Cat memes."

And after all that, the games would still get shit on. It sounds like my worst nightmare. I bet there's tons of people who wouldn't mind a lot of that either.

Yeah, but imagine something even worse than that:

"Other characters won't even be playable in Olympics, All-Stars, SSB, etc., but they're not in main at all. In fact most have been scrapped outright. The comic is cancelled, so don't see any more mileage for most of them other than cameos in Boom. And yes these new Classic Sonic games are going to be like Action Henk gameplay-wise and story-wise, and use a whole new Sonic design. Deadly Six and Comedy Chimp will get spinoffs."

My grim prediction is totally unrealistic, or is it just me?...

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

I am betting it will be more than one game but one for certain might be sonic adventure 3. i want my choas.

This may not be the proper place to ask, but I'm really curious.

What is with this whole "choas" thing?

I wondered if it was going to be a group of announcements rather than one from the wording of the Japanese tease earlier. The use of the word project made me think back to the late 90's when they tried a similar thing with 'Project Sonic', reintroducing the brand via 'Sonic Jam' and then plans to release new games in succession afterwards. 

Didn't really pan out back then, most titles falling under the project being side spin-off games and all. But trying to reinvigorate the franchise through multiple announcements across multiple media at this event would be pretty awesome to behold.

To be honest I wouldn't mind a spiritual successor to Sonic Jam with all the extras it had but extend its reach past the classics to include a few modern games too as well as the side games. Media can hold a fair chunk of data these days, another 16bit collection would be a waste of a disc. Fill that sucker up!! Announce a "complete Sonic collection" of sorts and then hit us with the new game info as well as movie news and Boom season two as well as info on all these merch partnerships and I'll be a happy fan.

3 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

This may not be the proper place to ask, but I'm really curious.

What is with this whole "choas" thing?

Whoops I meant Chao XD

If anyone wants to, I'd be willing to buy the flashdrive from the bag if you go to the party. I'd pay $25 but it must have the content on it.

33 minutes ago, SonicEkkusu said:

You mean this?

It's interesting how he sees a single Chao and comes to the conclusion that Chao will be returning in the next Sonic game when the most obvious and more incremental piece of the puzzle is staring him right in the face:

Red Hot Chili Peppers confirmed for making an appearance in the next Sonic game.  Finally!

• Thumbs Up 2