Awoo.

Sega Plans 2016 Thread "Join us for Dancing with the Sonic" "25th party livestream links in OP"

Badnik Mechanic

With all the classic style Sonic artwork being used via social media, and much of the merch shown so far being classic themed I'm expecting something classic related. Either classic style Sonic being used in the main game again somehow, like Generations, or the announcement of two games, one modern style and one classic. Tho splitting attention between two products always worries me.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Auto said:

What if it looks really good though? What you feel is up to you, but personally, if they drop something that looks like Classic Sonic levels in Gens, I will cry.
fun with formatting for emphasis

Thing is, I never go back to the Classic levels in Generations, I always go back to Modern's. I want SEGA to push themselves and make another good 3D Sonic, to stand with Generations and the like. 

I dunno, I just don't want 2D and nothing but. At least Generations was varied. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Probably nothing but... Sumo Digitals Steve Lycett confirmed that he and several other Sumo guys were interviewed about ASRT.

Interview will be in the next issue of Edge.

Not posting a source due to privacy reasons. 

• Thumbs Up 7

In my opinion, I think we need to see another 3D game because SEGA too often falls back on the nostalgia of 2D Sonic and Green Hill Zone in hopes that we consider that good. This didn't really work with Sonic 4, because at the end of the day, quality and at least a LITTLE sense of innovation is what matters.

I want an ambitious Sonic game that pushes the new tech it will be on. I want something big and expansive. And of course, fun and polished. And I think 3D Sonic is the better medium for that.

It's not that I have a preference for 3D Sonic, I like both equally. But like, we haven't had a true 3D Sonic game in ages. Even the Boost trilogy and Lost World had quite a bit of 2D implemented into their levels. And IMO, with the exception of Unleashed, the way 2D was handled actually ended up making the game worse in some way. Colours had way too much 2D, and the 3D sections were bland drift and quick step mini-games most of the time, there to pad out levels. Classic Sonic was awesome in Generations, but why does Modern Sonic still have 2D sections? He feels MUCH better in 3D and the 3D level design in Generations was excellent. And Lost World's 2D sections were blocky once again and Sonic felt like he had his speed capped to something lower in 2D.

If they do make a pure 2D game, I'll still get it and most likely enjoy it assuming it isn't another Sonic 4, but I think a really good 3D game could do much more for the franchise's reputation. And honestly, I have had enough 2D for now, personally. Plenty of fan games and ROM hacks for me to catch up on too if I need that.

• Thumbs Up 3

He's missing his iconic white stripe from his shoes. I know Lego characters are minimalistic in design usually but come on >.<

11 minutes ago, Detective Paradox said:

First Look at Sonic in LEGO Dimensions!

image.jpg

I still think Lego Sonic looks like a minor abomination, but there's only so much you can do with the (humanoid?) Lego base for a non-human character. I still wonder what the gameplay will be like or how well the character will be animated. It's kind of hard imagining Roger Craig Smith's voice coming from that thing.

57 minutes ago, ChikoLad said:

In my opinion, I think we need to see another 3D game because SEGA too often falls back on the nostalgia of 2D Sonic and Green Hill Zone in hopes that we consider that good. This didn't really work with Sonic 4, because at the end of the day, quality and at least a LITTLE sense of innovation is what matters.

I want an ambitious Sonic game that pushes the new tech it will be on. I want something big and expansive. And of course, fun and polished. And I think 3D Sonic is the better medium for that.

It's not that I have a preference for 3D Sonic, I like both equally. But like, we haven't had a true 3D Sonic game in ages. Even the Boost trilogy and Lost World had quite a bit of 2D implemented into their levels. And IMO, with the exception of Unleashed, the way 2D was handled actually ended up making the game worse in some way. Colours had way too much 2D, and the 3D sections were bland drift and quick step mini-games most of the time, there to pad out levels. Classic Sonic was awesome in Generations, but why does Modern Sonic still have 2D sections? He feels MUCH better in 3D and the 3D level design in Generations was excellent. And Lost World's 2D sections were blocky once again and Sonic felt like he had his speed capped to something lower in 2D.

If they do make a pure 2D game, I'll still get it and most likely enjoy it assuming it isn't another Sonic 4, but I think a really good 3D game could do much more for the franchise's reputation. And honestly, I have had enough 2D for now, personally. Plenty of fan games and ROM hacks for me to catch up on too if I need that.

Yes..!    It would be unexpected for them to back all the way into 2d.

I think they may be ready to return to the main plotline of the series whether it is something similar to an Adventure title or not!  trying to do it too soon would not have been a good idea specifically relating to what you have written: that by waiting long enough they will be able to do as many new, wonderful ideas in the game as with every new big step/evolution in the series so far.  that seems like what is coming !!

Kind of makes me wonder what Lego Sonic: the Original Trilogy would be like.

Edit: More like Lego Sonic: the Original Trilogy & Knuckles!

LEGO Sonic Wars: The Original Trilogy - featuring levels from Sonic 1, 2, and 3.

LEGO Sonic Wars: The Advance Trilogy - featuring levels from the Advance series

I don't know, there's not a lot of trilogies in Sonic, unless you did Adventure 2, Heroes, and Shadow as a Shadow Rising trilogy with Adventure 1 as a prequel bonus level.

Whatever we see of this tonight is going to be interesting, and probably be what makes or breaks my purchase decision. Probably.

22 hours ago, Mayor D said:

Hey guys... check this out!

I'm super late, but these are absolutely precious!!

I'm pretty excited for tonight's news!  Only three more horus! <3

26 minutes ago, frokenok3 said:
Lego? or good troll?

Neither. Bad fake. 

2 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Neither. Bad fake. 

Fair enough. Have no idea who the guy is just saw sonic people following him. Posted here and cleared up pretty quickly

Next you're going to be telling me my blurry photo of something dark floating in the forest isn't solid proof of the Loch Ness Monster.

• Thumbs Up 2

I sincerely hope we'll be getting more news than just Lego Dimensions.  Because that's all we've been teased about today.

• Thumbs Up 1

If all the fuss is about Lego Dimensions it's gonna be a big letdown... I expect an announcement with a CGI teaser at the very least.

23 minutes ago, Tara said:

I sincerely hope we'll be getting more news than just Lego Dimensions.

We are.

1 minute ago, Sonikko said:

If all the fuss is about Lego Dimensions it's gonna be a big letdown...

It won't be.

The LEGO Dimensions teasing is coming from people from LEGO, not from people at SEGA, from what I have seen.

SEGA themselves seem to still be staying very hush hush.

Personally I wouldn't mind a new fully 2D mainline Sonic game if it's done good! Well it's true 2D side-view gameplay is my favorite type. But I'd be more then happy with a 3D gameplay title too however. x)

• Thumbs Up 1