Awoo.

Sega Plans 2016 Thread "Join us for Dancing with the Sonic" "25th party livestream links in OP"

Badnik Mechanic

9 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

Wait what?

Huh?

This is news to me.

You yourself wrote the article about it lol. It's old news.

• Thumbs Up 1

Webber wants us to be more concerned about the Anniversary Party.

If that's the case, I'm not expecting anything particularly big coming out of it since he said during that panel awhile back that he couldn't even promise anything would be announced there.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, TimmiT said:

So you haven't played Rise of Lyric, Sonic 2006, or half of all other Sonic games ever released then? :V

Well I think you skipped over the keyword in my post that said any game "CAN" get delayed. That is completely separate from Sega actually throwing around the willpower to do so.

Just saying: Sega has more reason to delay a game for quality reasons than they usually would have. And Sonic games usually look like they could have used one.

My point exactly. If a Sonic game gets delayed, it will be for a reason like quality.

To come out and say "Oh noez Zelda got delayed so Sonic might too" is running yourself through the wringer for no logical reason. There is nothing to suggest that we should leverage the potential release window of those two titles against each other because the factors fueling eachs release window are completely different.

If the Sonic game gets pushed to next year... then it gets pushed. But Zelda WiiU getting shifted to Zelda WiiU/NX should have no bearing on how we feel in this torturous Sonic waiting game.

The thing that makes waiting for the Sonic game so much more torturous is that there's no clean identity for Sonic right now.
At least with that Zelda or a new Phoenix Wright or a new Assasin's creed or whatever, at least I can imagine for about 80% what the game will be like and it's just a matter of details.

With Sonic, I have no idea what the blue blur is at this point or where Sega's going with him. He can be anywhere inbetween Shadow the hedgehog or Sonic Lost world or some wacky new direction. Waiting for news is about way more then just when "the next" game is coming, it's about finding out if Sega's picking up where they left off with Colors/ Generations (Or Classic/ Adventure/ Lost world Sonic for that matter) or if Sega's chasing after yet another incomprehensible magical new direction.

Quality is not my concern right now. First I even want to know what they're even doing. If I know what I'm waiting for, THEN they can delay the game to their heart's content. At least I know if I'm waiting for a big Christmas present or if I can sit the whole circus out and move on to something else.

Hope they know what they're doing. Not sure how tolerant and open-minded people are for new ideas after being toyed around for so long.

• Thumbs Up 9

Yeah that's my main concern as well. The game has the single longest development history in Sonic Team history so whatever it is they put out, I have no doubt that it'll be a solid and functional game. I'm only personally concerned with what direction they take. The older I get and the more I reflect on what I like and want out of this series, the more set I am in wanting something that takes most of its inspiration from Sonic Adventure 1 (and to a lesser extent Sonic 3). Games like Colors and Lost World are the polar opposite to that game's approach and I can't get into them as a result. 

I can't speak for anyone else but on a purely personal level I know what I want from Sonic and all I want from this game is a single trailer to know whether or not I'll be interested in it. If not, eh, I honestly will be pretty bummed but what can you do. I have other stuff to play in the meantime.

• Thumbs Up 9

So until July 22nd it's really pointless to expect any kind of information, apart from teases here and there.

I really hope that this long time leads to revealing more than one single game. I'm sure there's gonna be a modern Sonic game, and I'd really like that Sega, for once, had made a game like Sonic 4 should have been.

Also, I hope there's a Sonic 3 remaster on the works.

I'm not really expecting anything until July 22. I wouldn't be surprised if they reveal a port beforehand.

9 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

To come out and say "Oh noez Zelda got delayed so Sonic might too" is running yourself through the wringer for no logical reason. There is nothing to suggest that we should leverage the potential release window of those two titles against each other because the factors fueling eachs release window are completely different.

If the Sonic game gets pushed to next year... then it gets pushed. But Zelda WiiU getting shifted to Zelda WiiU/NX should have no bearing on how we feel in this torturous Sonic waiting game.

The point is more that it probably doesn't matter if a big Sonic game releases in a big anniversary year for the series or not. Zelda Wii U would have been released during the series' 30th anniversary if it wasn't delayed.

Also, lol "torturous Sonic waiting game".

Maybe that's the 25th Anniversary game. A game where Sonic just waits.

• Thumbs Up 7

I honestly don't care when it gets released, it'll be out when it's ready, 2017 is okay.

And that's one thing. But to leave us without news for years... that's a crime. I just want... something, a teaser, a trailer. Even Mario & Sonic Rio and Fire & Ice were announced more than a year before their release. I'm shocked to say this about Sega but... what's with the secrecy? It's Sonic's big anniversary year, and we could celebrate with a nice announcement.

Zelda Wii U/NX is coming out next year, true, but we ARE getting some news about it in time for E3.

Why SEGA can't promote Sonic like Persona 5? But everydays we got the memes with mysterious numbers by Aaron. I hate this, srsly...

1 hour ago, Dizcrybe said:

Maybe that's the 25th Anniversary game. A game where Sonic just waits.

LwNyziM.gif

This is it.

This is the game.

The numbers, the memes, the teasing... this is Sonic's 2016 game.

Also Fire and Ice and some olympics cross-over with Mario or something, but I literally am not interested in either.

Spoiler

In what future do I live in where I am not excited about a game where Mario and Sonic cross over? This is dystopia. DYSTOPIA.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Woun said:

Why SEGA can't promote Sonic like Persona 5? But everydays we got the memes with mysterious numbers by Aaron. I hate this, srsly...

Well, for one, people like Persona...

1 hour ago, Woun said:

Because Persona 5 wasn't meant to be revealed that early before release. The original release date was Winter 2014. And unlike Sonic, people will get hyped for Persona just because of the name. With Sonic they'll have to show something good or people won't expect much.

2 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

LwNyziM.gif

This is it.

This is the game.

The numbers, the memes, the teasing... this is Sonic's 2016 game.

Three minutes in, he says "I'm outta here!"

We could learn from his example.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, TimmiT said:

The point is more that it probably doesn't matter if a big Sonic game releases in a big anniversary year for the series or not. Zelda Wii U would have been released during the series' 30th anniversary if it wasn't delayed.

Do Zelda fans have the same expectations concerning what happens on anniversaries that we do? Do they expect a big console game every five years because Nintendo is insistent on making that a tradition? Because if not, that's probably one of the differences between the contexts of each franchise's release schedules that Sega was referring to. I guarantee you if Sega weren't intent on hyping this year up like they do every fifth year of this franchise wherein they inevitably release a console game, people would give the same amount of fucks they do in weird off years when little to nothing releases. True, it technically doesn't matter when a Sonic game releases. The issue is that Sega is hyping up this year like they do others with effectively nothing to show for it aside from a convention.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Nepenthe said:

Do Zelda fans have the same expectations concerning what happens on anniversaries that we do? Do they expect a big console game every five years because Nintendo is insistent on making that a tradition? Because if not, that's probably one of the differences between the contexts of each franchise's release schedules that Sega was referring to. I guarantee you if Sega weren't intent on hyping this year up like they do every fifth year of this franchise wherein they inevitably release a console game, people would give the same amount of fucks they do in weird off years when little to nothing releases. True, it technically doesn't matter when a Sonic game releases. The issue is that Sega is hyping up this year like they do others with effectively nothing to show for it aside from a convention.

SEGA also used to release a new Sonic game almost every single year. So of course that'd include anniversary years. :V

Also, the only time the big anniversary game was clearly made for the anniversary was Sonic Generations. Sonic 2006 was hyped up because it was supposed to be a big reboot of the franchise and it was the first big Sonic game of that console generation. Sonic Adventure 2 was hyped up because it was the sequel to an incredibly successful game. And for the fifth anniversary... there was 3D Blast I guess?

I'm saying that it being an anniversary year doesn't mean SEGA has to release a game. Not that a big game won't be released this year.

Also it's possible for them to delay whatever game they have planned. :V

32 minutes ago, TimmiT said:

SEGA also used to release a new Sonic game almost every single year. So of course that'd include anniversary years. :V

Also, the only time the big anniversary game was clearly made for the anniversary was Sonic Generations. Sonic 2006 was hyped up because it was supposed to be a big reboot of the franchise and it was the first big Sonic game of that console generation. Sonic Adventure 2 was hyped up because it was the sequel to an incredibly successful game. And for the fifth anniversary... there was 3D Blast I guess?

Yeah, they had a yearly release schedule back in the classic days, which is like...only a fifth of the franchise's lifespan (And no, I'm not counting spin-offs). That's enough time for a precedent to level off.

And Sonic 2006 was clearly stamped with the anniversary seal, if not being outright rushed to meet that particular year's deadline, and it's roughly the same for SA2 what with it adorning 10th anniversary merchandise and special collectibles. Gens is only notable because it is meant to celebrate the anniversary of the franchise in a meta context versus simply being a big budgeted effort to simply cap off a particular anniversary year. So three times we've had this big game marking an anniversary dealio, creating an expectation, and we're confused as to why people are annoyed this trend isn't continuing in a celebratory year?

Three times out of four isn't so strict a pattern that I'd be too bothered by it, at least. Especially not when the perceived need for an anniversary game helped create one of the biggest debacles in the series. If they can get a game finished in time for the anniversary that's great, if not, that's a shame, but I wouldn't feel slighted by it.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 hour ago, Nepenthe said:

Yeah, they had a yearly release schedule back in the classic days, which is like...only a fifth of the franchise's lifespan (And no, I'm not counting spin-offs). That's enough time for a precedent to level off.

And Sonic 2006 was clearly stamped with the anniversary seal, if not being outright rushed to meet that particular year's deadline, and it's roughly the same for SA2 what with it adorning 10th anniversary merchandise and special collectibles. Gens is only notable because it is meant to celebrate the anniversary of the franchise in a meta context versus simply being a big budgeted effort to simply cap off a particular anniversary year. So three times we've had this big game marking an anniversary dealio, creating an expectation, and we're confused as to why people are annoyed this trend isn't continuing in a celebratory year?

Pretty sure they would have released a ton of merch in those years regardless of if a new game was released. Look at how much merch they announced for this year without having announced a big anniversary game. It's also not like it needs to be an anniversary year for a Sonic game to be rushed for the holiday release.

Also, I wouldn't say people in general are annoyed at there possibly not being a game this year, just a vocal minority online.

Three out of four times over 20 years is a long enough time to create a reasonable expectation that the fourth time will play out similarly and empathetic disappointment when things are staved off or don't work out, particularly when Sega PR has been deliberately hyping up a lot of little things that have either been jokes or announcements for stuff not pertaining what they claim to know people are actually interested in, all within a marketing environment making a big deal about a completely arbitrary year. And even that wouldn't be as annoying if it weren't compounded on by the fact that people seem insistent on downplaying or dismissing those who had the gall to do nothing more than just expect something to come from the hype and celebration. I mean, if you're in the know and/or detached enough to not expect anything, good for you?

Like I've said beforehand, any other year with Sega not doing anything out of the ordinary in regards to marketing Sonic, and most people probably wouldn't give a damn that we hadn't heard anything by now. It would just be another filler year where we either get nothing or some bullshit Olympics spin-off or something. I know I certainly wouldn't mind because I have other things in life to bide my time. But I don't think I'm wrong or anything for thinking a game would be coming this year with everything that's happened so far. And if Sega can't say anything for whatever reason, that's actually fine too. But can we at least stop making every single little announcement a big fucking deal right now? Hell, run some positive coverage of aspects of the Sonic franchise to pad out the time if you're unsure of what to do.

All I'm saying is, I don't think people are being irrational in their annoyance and disappointment with how things have turned out.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, TimmiT said:

I'm saying that it being an anniversary year doesn't mean SEGA has to release a game. Not that a big game won't be released this year.

Also it's possible for them to delay whatever game they have planned. :V

I rather then delay a game to be honest if it is that.

Other than that, even if there is no game, I'm not really bothered by it.