Awoo.

Confirmed: Iizuka is at Sega of America "Rumour: Overseeing Multiple Sonic Games/SOA to be Sonic Hub"

Badnik Mechanic

3 minutes ago, McGroose said:

How do you think that Sonic's future would have changed if Sonic Adventure was released on the Sega Saturn instead of the Dreamcast? Do you think that the Saturn would have been more successful and Sonic along with it? It's obvious that the game would be significantly different on the Saturn and would have had less content.

Yeah I think the Saturn would have had a chance, remember, the only reason it wasn't popular was because it never had a main Sonic game on it.

Shenmue had a similar fate, and it ended up being much better served by the Dreamcast. For reference...

I imagine a lot of the innovative and new things about Adventure - the hubs, the FMVs, the variety of voice acting, the scope of the levels - were impossible on the Saturn, because it was a weak system that was difficult to develop for. Sonic in general seemed impossible.

In that interview, he says they spent ages developing Nights, and that was the problem. I imagine the problem was more that it took ages to develop a simple seven stages for Nights, so Sonic Adventure would have to be so drastically cut down from the Dreamcast version and they had bigger ideas.

12 minutes ago, WakanoBaka said:

Yeah I think the Saturn would have had a chance, remember, the only reason it wasn't popular was because it never had a main Sonic game on it.

Well no, it still would have failed. I mean, the Dreamcast died, and it had TWO main Sonic games on it. Hell, Shenmue and Jet Set Radio are two other franchises I can remember spawning from the Dreamcast, and NiGHTS is the only thing I can remember from the Saturn. You need a lot of strong first AND third party games for a console to succeed. The Saturn failed in the US because fucking NOTHING was localized for it, not just a lack of Sonic. The Dreamcast failed all-around because despite having some great things, it's lineup didn't compare to what the other consoles brought, Sonic or no Sonic.

When has Iizuka written the dialogue in any English Sonic game? Is the man secretly anglophone, or something?

EDIT: No, Shaddy, the Dreamcast failed because the Saturn was such a disaster the Dreamcast'd needed to sell better than any console to this day to be able to even survive. There was really no inherent fault of its own. I mean, come on, you're telling me it's lineup didn't compare to the lineup of the fucking consoles of the previous generation? That despite all the arcade ports and games by all the main companies, it didn't offer the same as... nothing, considering nor the PS2 nor the Xbox was out at the time?

• Thumbs Up 8

3 minutes ago, The KKM said:

When has Iizuka written the dialogue in any English Sonic game? Is the man secretly anglophone, or something?

EDIT: No, Shaddy, the Dreamcast failed because the Saturn was such a disaster the Dreamcast'd needed to sell better than any console to this day to be able to even survive. There was really no inherent fault of its own. I mean, come on, you're telling me it's lineup didn't compare to the lineup of the fucking consoles of the previous generation? That despite all the arcade ports and games by all the main companies, it didn't offer the same as... nothing, considering nor the PS2 nor the Xbox was out at the time?

That's true also, Dreamcast inherited the Saturn's ...lets call it..."debt" in a way. Saturn didn't sell as many, so the Dreamcast had to sell twice as more.

1 hour ago, The KKM said:

Okay, that's fair, but by the time that every console WAS out and had a library, it didn't compare anyway.

By the time every console WAS out and had a library, it didn't compare because the Dreamcast was already dead.

27 minutes ago, Inspector Shaddy said:

Really? I thought it was cause the PS2 basically killed it.

Combination of that plus, lack of games for the system, and good will being burned out because of how SEGA abandoned the Saturn and its userbase way too soon.

The Saturn abandoned...?

But games still release for it to this day...

Well, in Japan at least.

1 hour ago, Chris Knopps said:

The Saturn abandoned...?

But games still release for it to this day...

Well, in Japan at least.

Yeah, its no secret that it got abandoned. Sega ditched it in favor of the Dreamcast barley 4 years into its lifespan.

No one in their right mind would have brought a Saturn as soon as the news of the DC hit, effectively killing it where it stood. All the development efforts and triple A games went over to Sega's newest console, even if a few stragglers stuck around for the Saturn for a while longer.

• Thumbs Up 5

5 hours ago, Hyp3hat said:

Shenmue had a similar fate, and it ended up being much better served by the Dreamcast. For reference...

I imagine a lot of the innovative and new things about Adventure - the hubs, the FMVs, the variety of voice acting, the scope of the levels - were impossible on the Saturn, because it was a weak system that was difficult to develop for. Sonic in general seemed impossible.

In that interview, he says they spent ages developing Nights, and that was the problem. I imagine the problem was more that it took ages to develop a simple seven stages for Nights, so Sonic Adventure would have to be so drastically cut down from the Dreamcast version and they had bigger ideas.

OK, let's be real here. For the Sega Saturn, that is still a pretty damn impressive build. And to be honest, Sega cutting out the variety of voice acting, the FMVs, and the hubs in Sonic Adventure isn't exactly something I would be complaining about. It would have given the game an excuse to not have all of the controversial filler it had (characters like Big and Amy). I guess it was still a better idea to bring the game out on the Dreamcast. Makes me wonder what would have happened to the Saturn if Nights released on the Dreamcast instead.

13 hours ago, Inspector Shaddy said:

Really? I thought it was cause the PS2 basically killed it.

The PS2 killed it before it actually came out - people skipped buying a DC in order to wait and buy a PS2. By the time the PS2 actually came out the Dreamcast, despite being pretty much offered for free at that point (seriously- you only had to pay the internet services at one point), was dead in the water, and SEGA was so filled with accumulated debt from previous generations that one of their top brass did an absurdly huge private donation before dying in 2001.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, McGroose said:

OK, let's be real here. For the Sega Saturn, that is still a pretty damn impressive build. And to be honest, Sega cutting out the variety of voice acting, the FMVs, and the hubs in Sonic Adventure isn't exactly something I would be complaining about. It would have given the game an excuse to not have all of the controversial filler it had (characters like Big and Amy). I guess it was still a better idea to bring the game out on the Dreamcast. Makes me wonder what would have happened to the Saturn if Nights released on the Dreamcast instead.

You're right, but it wouldn't run half as well either. That Shenmue build is impressive, but it's very creaky.

I mean, controversial filler... a lot of Sonic Adventure's charm comes from that. It's this sort of grand, weird mess of gameplay ideas and systems that was some 'hey ma, look at this' from SEGA. I've been playing it again recently and whilst it hasn't aged well, it's just this goofy sprawl of a game. It's a very interesting sort-of-failure.

WRT the failure of the Dreamcast, SEGA took a lot of gambles that didn't necessarily pay off with software too - the old chestnut that for Shenmue to turn a profit, every Dreamcast owner had to buy 2 copies springs to mind. I also think that SEGA made the same mistake they did with the Saturn too, by releasing it too early. I mean, they had to, otherwise they wouldn't have jobs, but it came to the next generation slightly too early to see what it had to do to survive there - the absence of a DVD player springs to mind.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/2/2016 at 3:00 PM, McGroose said:

Sonic Lost World also proved lackluster story-wise. We get nearly no explanation or backstory for the Deadly Six, neither in the game or in the comic.

Sonic 1 never explained Sonic being a blue hedgehog that runs at the speed of sound, Robotnik being a evil scientist that captures animals and traps them into robots, and basically the plot of Sonic as a whle (sourcing that one obscure comic does not count. Few read that, and If we're talking about what the games did with their stories...)

Sonic 2 never explained the origin of Super Sonic or the 7th emerald.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles never explained the Master Emerald, nor what happened to Knuckles' clan and why he protects the Master Emerald (sourcing Chronicles does not count. Chronicles is not S3&K, and besides that game came out 14 years later).

Sonic 3D Blast never explained why the Flickies suddenly have their own dimension to travel in.

Sonic CD doesn't explain where the Little Planet's origins. They say in the manual what it does, but not where it came from.

Sonic Adventure never explains where Big came from. He's just...there. It never explains why some of the characters look different. (again, the comics don't count)

Sonic Adventure 2 never explains Rouge. She collects jewels and is just...there.

Sonic Heroes never explains why Metal Sonic suddenly turned against Eggman. Or why Eggman is suddenly using Egg Pawns and not badniks.

Shadow the Hedgehog never explains where the Black Comet, Black Doom, and the Black Arms came from. Once again, they're just...there.

The Sonic Riders games never explain where Jet, Wave, and Storm come from. Well, they say they're "decendants of genies" or something like that, but their births are a mystery. And how did we go from a civilization of genies to these three? Again, they're just there. And Eggman suddenly has MeteoTech. Sonic and friends speculate on why, but we don't really know why Eggman suddenly had that.

Sonic 06 never explains anything.

Sonic & The Secret Rings never explains why Sonic suddenly gets sick, or why he's a "legend foretold" in the book. Or why Sonic wished for tissues to end things.

Sonic Unleashed never explains where Dark & Light Gaia came from. They've been around "since the planet's birth" but that's it. Again...they're just there. Nor is it explained why the planet has beast inside of its core in the first place.

Sonic & The Black Knight never explained how King Authur was an illusion. As far as I can recall he just...was. And no one cared.

Sonic 4 Episode I never explained what Eggman was even doing. We seemed to be battling him for nothing. (Sonic 4 Episode II was released as a separate title and thus is considered as such)

Sonic 4 Episode II never explained what happened to the Little Planet. The station surrounding it has been shut down, but nothing more.

Sonic Colors never explained the origin of the Wisps. One of them is their home planet, but that's all we know.

Sonic Generations never explains how the Robotniks meet. Eggman explains why he wanted to recruit his past self for help, but nothing more.

Sonic games have never been great with story telling. They never explain a lot of things and, unless you're really into Sonic and check out the comics (in my opinion, I don't even think are canon with the games), you wont know. So criticizing Sonic Lost World for this when this has always existed with Sonic stories is kind of unfair, in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 2

49 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

Sonic & The Black Knight never explained how King Authur was an illusion. As far as I can recall he just...was. And no one cared.

I thought Merlina's grandfather, Merlin, had something to do with that.

• Thumbs Up 3

The thing about lost world though is the entirety of the story feels lackluster and not shallow. Nothing is ever explored, whereas games like black knight and unleashed at least explored and discussed certain elements about the story. Even the classics told a story that felt cohesive that never had me lost or feeling like something was missing. Lost World imo feels like it throws you halfway through a ongoing story and the way it's presented makes you feel like they expect you to know what's going on. That last sentence actually probably applies to the entirety of the plot tbh. 

59 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Even the classics told a story that felt cohesive that never had me lost or feeling like something was missing.

Because the classics really didn't tell much of a story. There really wasn't one It was just playing through a zone, then another, and then another. I honestly forget there's a story at all, when I play Sonic 1 and Sonic 2. Sonic 3 & Knuckles is different. That's when SEGA began to give the games some kind of story.

Lost World imo feels like it throws you halfway through a ongoing story

It could be much worse. Unleashed literally starts at the end of one.

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

the way it's presented makes you feel like they expect you to know what's going on.

That tends to be the case for many Sonic games. They expect you to know everything to understand the story (i.e. stuf from comics).

I'm not disagreeing with you, Lost World had these issues. It's just Lost World wasn't the only Sonic game to have this problem.

Most of these plot elements fit the stories they appear in, are at least somewhat explained or aren't presented as something important to the story. On the other hand, most of Lost World's story comes from nowhere and leads to almost nowhere. For example, that part where Eggman says Zeti can manipulate magnetic fields or something, it's literary just an explanation why the robots attack him in that single scene. Also, while many things in the series aren't explained, this Lost Hex thing lacks any substance besides "it's a planet in the clouds made of hexagons". And nothing in the levels has any connection with that, since they are made of random shapes.

• Thumbs Up 6

6 hours ago, SSF1991 said:

Sonic 1 never explained Sonic being a blue hedgehog that runs at the speed of sound, Robotnik being a evil scientist that captures animals and traps them into robots, and basically the plot of Sonic as a whle (sourcing that one obscure comic does not count. Few read that, and If we're talking about what the games did with their stories...)

Sonic 3 & Knuckles never explained the Master Emerald, nor what happened to Knuckles' clan and why he protects the Master Emerald (sourcing Chronicles does not count. Chronicles is not S3&K, and besides that game came out 14 years later).

Sonic 3D Blast never explained why the Flickies suddenly have their own dimension to travel in.

Sonic CD doesn't explain where the Little Planet's origins. They say in the manual what it does, but not where it came from.

Sonic Adventure never explains where Big came from. He's just...there. It never explains why some of the characters look different. (again, the comics don't count)

Sonic Adventure 2 never explains Rouge. She collects jewels and is just...there.

Sonic Heroes never explains why Metal Sonic suddenly turned against Eggman. Or why Eggman is suddenly using Egg Pawns and not badniks.

Shadow the Hedgehog never explains where the Black Comet, Black Doom, and the Black Arms came from. Once again, they're just...there.

The Sonic Riders games never explain where Jet, Wave, and Storm come from. Well, they say they're "decendants of genies" or something like that, but their births are a mystery. And how did we go from a civilization of genies to these three? Again, they're just there. And Eggman suddenly has MeteoTech. Sonic and friends speculate on why, but we don't really know why Eggman suddenly had that.

Sonic & The Secret Rings never explains why Sonic suddenly gets sick, or why he's a "legend foretold" in the book. Or why Sonic wished for tissues to end things.

Sonic Unleashed never explains where Dark & Light Gaia came from. They've been around "since the planet's birth" but that's it. Again...they're just there. Nor is it explained why the planet has beast inside of its core in the first place.

Sonic 4 Episode I never explained what Eggman was even doing. We seemed to be battling him for nothing. (Sonic 4 Episode II was released as a separate title and thus is considered as such)

Sonic 4 Episode II never explained what happened to the Little Planet. The station surrounding it has been shut down, but nothing more.

Sonic Colors never explained the origin of the Wisps. One of them is their home planet, but that's all we know.

Sonic Generations never explains how the Robotniks meet. Eggman explains why he wanted to recruit his past self for help, but nothing more.

Sonic games have never been great with story telling. They never explain a lot of things and, unless you're really into Sonic and check out the comics (in my opinion, I don't even think are canon with the games), you wont know. So criticizing Sonic Lost World for this when this has always existed with Sonic stories is kind of unfair, in my opinion.

And those are all justified because? I'm not disagreeing with you and I get where your coming from trust me I do so don't take this the wrong way the thing is with most of those games we still get some context of what those are or where they came from. We know what Angle Island is, we know what little planet is, we know what Rouge's agenda is(how she took the M.E. and how her and Knux wound up in the dessert is a mystery), we know some context of what light and dark gia are, we know why king Arthur was a phantom or what ever, we know what the wisp are and why egg man wanted them we know how Modern egg man met classic. I mean some of the things you pointed out feels like a stretch like how did sonic get a cold or why egg man went from badniks to egg pawns. 

With Lost World we literally got next to nothing nothing about what the lost hex is or who the zeti are. I think just a simple throw away line would of been nice, I'd take some context over non ya know? Lost World from a story stand point really felt one note. This is pretty much what I believe but this is a series that actually tries to tell a story in it's games so that's why I'm more critical towards it if it doesn't explain anything especially if they want me to care about it. It's not going to be perfect then again what is? It's going to have it's faults but at the end of the day if you can see that they actually tried and made it enjoyable that's fine with me. 

6 hours ago, SSF1991 said:

See the difference is all the pre-Colors games weren't done by Pontac and Graff. Whom as we've confirmed are collectively the devil.

3 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

See the difference is all the pre-Colors games weren't done by Pontac and Graff. Whom as we've confirmed are collectively the devil.

Except, no, they're really not.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, SSF1991 said:

Because the classics really didn't tell much of a story. There really wasn't one It was just playing through a zone, then another, and then another. I honestly forget there's a story at all, when I play Sonic 1 and Sonic 2. Sonic 3 & Knuckles is different. That's when SEGA began to give the games some kind of story.

It could be much worse. Unleashed literally starts at the end of one.

That tends to be the case for many Sonic games. They expect you to know everything to understand the story (i.e. stuf from comics).

I'm not disagreeing with you, Lost World had these issues. It's just Lost World wasn't the only Sonic game to have this problem.

What does Unleashed's intro events have anything to do with anything? It's not relevant to any of the story following it. It just serves as a Eggman is fighting Sonic thing, cause, you know, that's what they do. Only this time Eggman had the upper hand at the end. Your point would hold more water if events prior to that were constantly being brought up and were vital to understanding Unleashed.