Awoo.

Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3: The Trail

Kfarc

So, as some of you heard of, BBFA3 is a real browser game. You can play it right hear: (Note that it can be played on Chrome and Firefox. Not sure about Internet Explorer)

http://bigthec.at/

No, it's not an April Fool's joke. It surely started as joke, but right now it is something else. Don't get me wrong, it's funny, but it is also a message to us, fans. But let's start from the beginning. Big the Cat is make his own game. His third one (second was a Happy Meal game and first being his campaign in SA1). Everything was going fine, until he realized that deadline is tomorrow and his lead programer (Frogy) run away. Sa he have to catch that frog. The story isn't anything significant but dialogues drives the game. The stracture of the game is basically a short visual novel with a 2-3 minigames. You can also chose a daiolog options to change a course of history (seriously, there are two pathways AND a bad ending). Everything is nice, but... there is a previously mentioned message to fans. That we shouldn't fight each other. That sometimes we sholud wait for a good stuff. Imagine our fanbase being Donnie (which is actually happening as I am typing this text :D ). And this game is a glorified "SHUT UP DONNIE and calm down". THIS is what Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3: The Trail means to me. 

And what do you guys think about this game? 

• Thumbs Up 9

33 minutes ago, Kfarc said:

hat do you guys think about this game? 

Not funny, not entertaining. Just a waste of time.

• Thumbs Up 4

45 minutes ago, Kfarc said:

And what do you guys think about this game? 

Incredibly funny, incredibly entertaining. Just a great use of your time.

So, there are two routes through the game, and each will give you a different set of dialogue/minigames:-

1. Say "take the teleporter" in the first Eggman scene. You'll play a maze minigame, then meet up with Sonic in Station Square, then proceed to the fishing.
  2. Say "take the space plane" instead. You'll play a Flappy Bird ripoff, then meet up with Shadow and Knuckles in Station Square, then onto the fishing.

Both paths end the same way. In total, I think there are nine scenes to see, so count them at the title screen and you'll be able to see if you've found them all.

In short, a pretty cute April Fool's joke, but it could've done with some more cryptic Webber hints.

The Flappy Bird parody minigame killed me :lol:. But it was too difficult! It took me a lot of tries until I finally got past it.

Other than that...well, it´s okay. Kind of silly. But surprisingly a lot of work was put into it.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Here at SSMB, we have two kinds of people...

There are two types of people in the world: the ones who like Big the Cat and the ones who don't.

• Thumbs Up 7

I gave it a chance and hey, the game isn't that bad. I like the maze game and it's accompanying music. I like the fishing. I like Knuckles and Shadow. The rest is a bit hit and miss. I don't find the Big the Cat meme funny, it's been pushed way too far in my opinion. That means this game is not for me but hey, if its for you, good for you. There's two things I would like after this though, not forcing it though.

1. Please quiet the Big meme down a little please, it's getting a but old.

2. Please let Flappy Bird die XD

Good effort to Aaron and his team.

This was nice and fun! One of the best browser games I've played in a while, and I haven't seen this quality since SMBC or MNOG2.  And this proves Big could easily get more fun spinoffs. And it's still more feasibly canon than SLW.

• Thumbs Up 3

13 minutes ago, The Sixth Master said:

1. Please quiet the Big meme down a little please, it's getting a but old.

I hope that same. As much as I enjoy that little game, we need a rest from Big the Cat for a while. Just until that new Sonic Team game is RELEASED. After that (and few level packs :3) I will welcome BBFA3 full release with opend heart.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Sr101 said:

Where is that Knuckles art from? Never seen it, and searched for it... New?

I heard that all charecter arts are fresh ones.

• Thumbs Up 1

2.png

We ain't done yet. After all, this is only the trial edition...

16 minutes ago, Kfarc said:

I heard that all charecter arts are fresh ones.

Where'd you hear that?

I can confirm that that is my Big the Cat figure at the end of the game. My extent of contributing. 

Since I had an inkling of what was coming, with the help of our web designer Shadi we went ahead and added a special plugin for today at segabits.com

It's a one time thing, so if you miss it you will have to clear your cache/cookies/fish.

Can't wait for the full game.

• Thumbs Up 7

Yeah, it's pretty clear we haven't seen the last of this. Some things I noticed:

*The burger shop that Big stops by doesn't really do anything, Big mentions that this place isn't really ready yet.

*There's a crate you can try to smash, but Big doesn't have the means to destroy it. He mentions that he could probably find an upgrade to come back to destroy it.

*The game also has a bit where Big jumps down into a manhole, except instead of another minigame the game just briefly displays *and the programmer takes a nap*

*Another thing I noticed, neither Amy, Cream, Blaze, or Tails appear at all in this. The last one being the most notable, because Tails actually had a number of his own spinoff games. Blaze was also the second main protagonist in Sonic Rush.

*And lastly, and perhaps the most mysterious of them all, if you beat the fishing game at the end by catching ALL of the fish, Big actually flashes when you come back to the title screen. I haven't honestly been able to figure out what this means.

• Thumbs Up 2

So I've only played one path in the game, but so far I'm actually pleasantly surprised. The writing was surprisingly true to the characters with a refreshing lack of meme-based humor. On top of that, it was cool to see assets from SA1 and 2 actually used and referenced in something "officially" made by Sega. I've had my gripes with the current marketing push in the past, but this left me feeling more positive, even if it's nothing truly new.

Also, does anyone know where the music playing in the Mystic Ruins is from? It sounds well put together and I don't remember hearing it in a game before. There's a chance it could just be a royalty-free track or something, but I'm not sure.

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

>When Bigs Big Fishing Adventure 3 has more references than Generations ever did.

And a good number of them are about "Oh yeah the series fucked up!", which which would not be appreciated in Generations. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well that was a fun little game. So many cool references. I went down the Shadow/Knuckles route first. Chose Knuckles Chaotix over ShTH :P, got to the fishing sequence but the game froze on me (I was using Microsoft Edge). I then used Chrome and had no problem completing the story going the other route where you meet Sonic along with Eggman who have fun insulting each other. The maze is easier than the space-flying sequence.

Eggman at his brutal best!

458g79W.png

It's just a nice simple game, a love letter to fans and Aaron and co are awesome for doing this.

ubU6K8G.png

#B3LI3V3

Wonder if Iizuka has played it?

• Thumbs Up 5

I liked all the references to the past games and how some parts change depending on your answers. They definitely put a lot of effort in this for an April's Fool's joke browser game, though it was kinda expected due to how long they were talking about it. I also liked how the dialogue feels natural and how it suits the characters. It surely made this day more interesting to me.

24 minutes ago, Detective Reptiles said:

And a good number of them are about "Oh yeah the series fucked up!", which which would not be appreciated in Generations. 

Well, people wanted that for Crisis City, a few potshots and laughing at ones own mistakes wouldn't hurt.

• Thumbs Up 1

And here is let's play for those who have too weak computer that they even can't play it (like me x(  )

• Thumbs Up 1

Can someone confirm whether the art is new or not? I've searched for it, but only Big's images seem to be edits of older material. Unless those are from Sonic Chronicles, since I can't find sprites from that game (not that I tried much to be honest).