Awoo.

SEGA Mega Drive Classics Hub Coming To Steam April 28th

PickleBrows

7 minutes ago, Joy said:

I think this was found out about some time ago but was quickly covered up and forgotten about. 

Think it was me who originally posted it, might have been a month or two back, it was a random steam listing. Don't think it got it's own topic though, might be wrong but think it was somewhere in the madness that was the 25th topic.

Quite interested in this so far.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Detective Hogfather said:

Think it was me who originally posted it, might have been a month or two back, it was a random steam listing. Don't think it got it's own topic though, might be wrong but think it was somewhere in the madness that was the 25th topic.

Quite interested in this so far.

I definitely remember the Steam listing. Your name did crop up when I was trying to think back so that's all probably spot on.

Wondering what this means for the current ROM hacking community and if Sega's gonna start putting their foot down on it or leave it alone. This kinda seems like their way of trying to cash in on it.

Here's the SEGA Central video where Daniel talks about it pretty much word for word as detailed on the site.

Apparently SEGA have been quizzing fans about their favorite mega-drive games and characters in recent weeks, but based on the list of games these are all ones which have been released via emulation before. So, you know, whatever.

I don't need Steam to play Sonic game emulations.

Still waiting for Taxman's remasters not emulations to come to Steam and everywhere else.

Seems like something I'll try for a bit (maybe), but there's one thing here that could actually be pretty groundbreaking.

That’s not all, every single MEGA Drive game will now feature Steam Workshop support allowing you to share modified versions of your favourite retro SEGA titles!

Oh boy, if they're referring to ROM Hacks/modifications, we could potentially have something amazing here. It's a bit vague so we can't really say that for sure, but that could really give the modding communities for these games a larger platform for people to check out their projects. SEGA (in a tweet I think) has mentioned they'll reveal more details on the Steam Workshop functionality next week, but this sounds pretty cool.

• Thumbs Up 5

Cautiously optimistic about the new hub though I'll wait until it's been in the wild for a few days before trying it out before forming a solid opinion on it.

Co-op, graphic filters and mod support? Count me in, Sega. It would be great that this would lead to online co-op eventually. Also, it would be great if this led to Sonic remasters being published in Steam and made part of the hub (like say, you go to play Sonic the hedgehog and there's a original and remastered mode).

Also, it would be great if this application was ported to Android.

This sounds really interesting, I always liked remastered or re-released games, and it is a good idea to scatter them on Steam, because it is pretty hard to get old games these days. Also, giving them graphical enhancements and all these features is a great idea as well, it hands the original game to us, but also makes it enjoyable in this age of gaming.

Oh, and I've also heard that they will release many Sonic console ports on Steam! I can't wait to get them, after such a long wait! :)

Wow, that's really neat. This would be great to see on mobile. Especially for me considering my computer has a hard time running games.

But if it DID run properly, I would probably give this thing a shot. It looks really cool!

Super excited for Shadow in Golden Axe hacks.

In all seriousness that's awesome. I kinda wanna buy all the Mega Drive games now!

Just a small update that SEGA won't provide any modding tools but they're ok with any fanmade stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erm... does this mean we can get Streets of Rage Remake on this service?

• Thumbs Up 5

50 minutes ago, Detective Hogfather said:

No since SoR Remake was made from the ground-up on a different engine and not a ROM hack.

1 hour ago, Detective Hogfather said:

That's not a ROM hack, so nope.

The HUB is now available! I've just had a little look around the interface and it's all looking pretty slick. This is definitely my favourite 'compilation' since Sonic Mega Collection Plus now.

Of interest, it looks like at least some of the games have had new spine artworks made for the shelf. Sonic Spinball is using the modernised logo and 3K of course didn't have one in the first place.

This should go without saying, but please don't upload rom hacks that aren't made by you to Steam Workshop. Let the creators upload their own work.

Anyway, only tried it out for a little bit but this is pretty neat.

11 minutes ago, Jango said:

Quick, everybody upload Sonic 3 Complete! Show SEGA what we want it lol

Please don't, let the creator himself upload it.

• Thumbs Up 8