Awoo.

SEGA: "Sonic game quality will be fixed over time"

Doctor MK

Why don't they try to create a game that both kids and older Sonic fans can equally enjoy?

Because that's a good idea, and we don't like that type of thinkin' round these parts.

Because that's a good idea, and we don't like that type of thinkin' round these parts.

No seriously, if they just made a decently sized Sonic-only game with unlockable classic characters for the sake of longevity I'm pretty sure everyone would love it. Create a game designed like Unleashed's day levels (With more or less speed, depending upon the level I suppose) that has enough content to fill about 10-15 hours of gameplay not counting side quests, but within the levels you can collect medals shaped like specific characters that, if you collect enough, you can unlock for replay during Sonic's levels or perhaps their own levels. This would be perfect; Sonic fans can play their Sonic-only game that they've been waiting for, and fans of seperate gameplay can have a couple of different characters to toy with as well. Win-win.

Why don't they try to create a game that both kids and older Sonic fans can equally enjoy?

Because there always seems to be something folks aren't going to like.

Kids and newer fans don't mind any changes in Sonic games so long as they keep the cast of characters (and lots of kids love a lot of the characters in the series) in some of their titles, and as long as it's fun. Not on quality, just shear fun. If it's not fun, they don't give half a rats ass anyone says on how much quality is put into it.

Many older fans, however, have a much narrow view on these things. Any slight change they don't like, they dismiss as being "un-Sonic". Granted, somethings could've been best left out of the past few games, but it gets ridiculous when it's over damn near anything that makes Sonic "new". If there's no GHZ like stage, if there's any other character past Knuckles or Amy, etc., some are just going to flat out hate it. That might be a bit of an overstatement on my part, but compared to what I've seen between them and newer fans, older fans just seem to be a bit more clingy and stubborn over the series and its past.

Sonic Unleashed was supposedly to be the game that both kids and older fans could enjoy, unfortunately one aspect ruined it for the diehards. Had it have been optional, the game might've done well in older fans eyes (although no matter what, there's always that certain someone who, no matter how optional a feature is, feels a need to complain about it. :lol:)

No seriously, if they just made a decently sized Sonic-only game with unlockable classic characters for the sake of longevity I'm pretty sure everyone would love it.

Why just Classic characters? Can't the kids have their fair share of Shadow, Blaze, etc. ? If it's optional, it shouldn't really matter if even the whole cast of characters are in the game.

Or is that just a sample of your idea? :lol:

Create a game designed like Unleashed's day levels (With more or less speed, depending upon the level I suppose) that has enough content to fill about 10-15 hours of gameplay not counting side quests, but within the levels you can collect medals shaped like specific characters that, if you collect enough, you can unlock for replay during Sonic's levels or perhaps their own levels. This would be perfect; Sonic fans can play their Sonic-only game that they've been waiting for, and fans of seperate gameplay can have a couple of different characters to toy with as well. Win-win.

If you ask me, they're better off using a more open leven instead of Unleashed's day levels. They're too much akin to running through a hallway and not much else.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

That's a good idea, making the medals so that people can play levels with other characters, but they would have to have their own levels, like ChaosSupremeSonic said, it's like running through a hallway, and it's kinda hard if you're not super speedy with it.

Also, SEGA needed a Werehog character to make the game easier. I know I would have given up if it was just day stages, I was so bad at them starting off.

I'm happy they're making another game, I'm almost done Unleashed.

Why just Classic characters? Can't the kids have their fair share of Shadow, Blaze, etc. ? If it's optional, it shouldn't really matter if even the whole cast of characters are in the game.

It doesn't really matter, I was thinking of just Tails, Knuckles, and Shadow. Tails and Knuckles would play completely differently from Sonic, while Shadow was simply a Sonic skin.

If you ask me, they're better off using a more open leven instead of Unleashed's day levels. They're too much akin to running through a hallway and not much else.

It doesn't really matter, I just used Unleashed as an example because it was the last game in the series and I liked it.

You know, maybe older fans are so clingy to the older games because the Genesis games have a tried and true formula and considerable effort put into the games that the newer ones simply lack. If the new games never exceed beyond being just plain decent, of course they're going to shun it. For them, Sonic shouldn't be a game that can settle for second place.

Why do some people continue to complain about classic fanboys as if they're part of the problem? If anything, it's not them, it would be Sega. You don't see anybody raising a fuss about hardcore LOTR book fans who bitch about the movie.

Edited by Jake

You just want a current gen version of that secret Green Hill Zone from Sonic Adventure 2.

Sonic's been doing better after 06. 2007 had S&TSR, SRA, and Riders Zero Gravity, 2008 had Unleashed(Thats all i remember) and 2009 had S&TBK. I think SEGA learned after 06.

I'm pretty satisfied with the recent game output(Unleashed, Chronicles, Black Knight, the Olympics games, the Superstars/All Stars series, Sonic's appearance in Brawl). I feel like the general idea at Sega is "Let's be fun and open minded about Sonic again," as opposed to what happened with 06 where they tried to make an "epic" game and failed in the eyes of the public. Plus, most of Sonic Team is new blood. I have great hope for the future.

Plus, most of Sonic Team is new blood. I have great hope for the future.

Each member of Sonic Team had a blood transfusion? I hope they're okay! D:

Each member of Sonic Team had a blood transfusion? I hope they're okay! D:

I'm sure the hospitals know what they are doing. :lol:

It's like I used to say about this franchise; Once you've hit bottom, the only way to go is up. I believe the Sonic franchise will only get better in the coming years, now that Sega's starting listen more.

I kind of got the feeling that main problem during 2005-2006 was that the series was losing its unique identity, for some reason, as if Sonic Team thought Sonic needed to be something other than what it was in order to sell games.

The point of Shadow the Hedgehog seemed to be "Let's be Halo!" while the point of 06 seemed to be "Let's be Square Enix!"

I found that when you combine the Wii/PS2 version of Unleashed with the 360/PS3 version of Unleashed, you have a LOAD of day stages. Add in DLC and you have even more. While it's not the answer to an all day stage Sonic game, it's a great amount of speedy gameplay.

Once you've hit bottom, the only way to go is up.

That's not true. When you hit rock bottom you can still dig a grave.

And even then you can still dig deeper and find ancient monsters.

Edited by Mike

And even then you can still go further and find ancient monsters.

*Facepalm, coupled with a laugh and smile*

Edited by Ember Aithne

*Facepalm*

Down in the fiery depths of the earth, where nightmares begin! :lol:

tendril.jpg

Okay, enough with the spam please ^^;

"*Facepalm*" is not a post, it's spam. And irrelevant images are highly discouraged. Back on track now, folks!

I'm definitely looking forward to Sega making a fighting game to follow up Sega All Stars Racing.

I'm definitely looking forward to Sega making a fighting game to follow up Sega All Stars Racing.

Yes, and Sega just choose either All-Stars or Superstars and stick with it.

Preferably All Star because Sonic could always use more Smash Mouth.

Or you could keep digging and, while you wouldn't be in the same place you once were, you would merge on the top of the world again.

Yes, and Sega just choose either All-Stars or Superstars and stick with it.

Preferably All Star because Sonic could always use more Smash Mouth.

Heh.XD

But yeah, I keep wondering whether they'll use the Smash Bros. formula, or something more like Sonic the Fighters was, back in the day.

Given that All Star Racing apparently "is Mario Kart," it will probably feel like Smash. ;)

I certainly hope they keep their word and raise the bar. Sonic has become the most inconsistent franchise on the market, and this isn't including spin-off titles. I, for one, would like to see a happy marriage between Unleashed, Adventure, and Advance in terms of gameplay. We'll see. I'm not really holding my breath for too long, however. I don't like the music that goes with it.

Kids do like it. They don't give a damn about the quality or story. Instead they have fun playing. We are the problem. We can't have fun anymore. We've been playing Sonic games for many many years and experienced Sonic at his peak. Now we are grumpy old bastards.

We were kids once. We enjoyed Sonic at our youth and had fun, but now we've grown up and have nothing better to do but complain about every tiny thing that is wrong or right about Sonic. This is the most unforgiving fandom in the world.