Awoo.

Sonic Game Ideas Thread!

Hiki

Sonic R 2, but with boost gameplay. Sonic is basically a race car in in those games anyway, so why not?

Or how about a Dr Robotnik game? Either just straight up 'play as Robotnik' game or maybe a 2 player game where one guy is Eggman, planting traps throughout a level and being the boss, and the other player is Sonic and has to navigate it, swapping every turn. Like a more interactive Mario Maker, or Ultimate Chicken Horse.

This is sort of difficult - the scattershot nature of the franchise means that a lot of things have been done, besides saying 'I'd like X, but better'.

In my dreams, I'd love Sonic Unleashed with about five more cities and no werehog. Tokyo, Rio De Janerio, Moscow, Kowloon Walled City and Mt Everest would be my picks, off the top of my head.

A Sonic Battle sequal for the 3DS that utilizes the touchscreen for combat (think "The World Ends with You")

Mine would probably be a RPG with 'Adventure' style gameplay. Keep parkour elements from Sonic Lost World but improved in a way it's not frustrating and lets you rid of enemies and keep on moving without stopping something out of like Mirror's Edge but not first person.

6 minutes ago, Mikyeong said:

a orginal 3D Sonic game with the genesis gameplay

Basically a Sonic equivilent of the New Super Mario Bros games.

Just now, Ernest-Panda said:

Basically a Sonic equivilent of the New Super Mario Bros games.

Nah that would be the advance trilogy(except that came out first). If it was 3D you'd get Sonic Heroes minus the team mechanic.

A 2D platformer similar to the Genesis games with a zany art style. I'd prefer to see more original levels than simply the generic "grass, desert, coastal, snowy, etc." or Sonic 4's rehashes. Mix up the level themes, maybe like a haunted/industrial stage. For example, a level that takes place in an abandoned Eggman base or crashed space station, all overgrown and ruined. Have some barely-functioning Badniks roaming around, but when you attack them no animals come out, as if to imply they're haunted or something. Alternatively, have ghosts pop out, creating a level where you'd have to prevent yourself from destroying enemies.  I'd also like it if the zone transitions from S3&K came back. 

As long as we're doing 2D, have Tails, Knuckles, and Amy come back, with moves similar to Sonic Advance 1.

Story-wise, I honestly don't mind having it just be the main four plus Eggman, Orbot, and Cubot -- I'd just like Knuckles and Amy to have more involvement in the story. It'd be nice for the others to come back and have some role, but I personally don't feel that it's a necessity. Heck, if it's 2D, maybe have no dialogue at all. The whole story could be told through actions like the Genesis games. 

One thing I enjoyed in Sonic 4: Ep 2 was the Death Egg II looming in the backgrounds, so I'd have something like that -- maybe Eggman's building a giant tower/weapon in the far distance, and it appears larger as you proceed through the game and close in on it.

Oh yeah, I'd actually like the old "true final level" thing to come back, if only to give some purpose to the Chaos Emeralds other than unlocking Super Sonic. I'd still keep the ability to play as Super Sonic in any level, of course, but just have there be an extra final boss zone too.

An Eggman game would be awesome, too. Not sure how it'd play, though.

Sorry if this makes no sense, I was coming up with random ideas as I typed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Boost can be enabled not by the press of a button, but if you manage to increase your speed gradually the blur will appear and will act like it does in the normal Boost games.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Hyp3hat said:

A Sonic game.... but with a first person view, a la Mirrors Edge.

Sorry, but I have to ask: what would the camera show during a spin attack?

The world going around real fast or like, just the path ahead, as if Sonic was running normally?

'Cause if it were true first person, then imagine what you would see everytime you attack an enemy. Picture this: You're about to attack the Death Egg Robot. You start spinning like mad. You jump. Then you press a directional button and you're like, wait, am I going left, right or what? And wth.  Is that the sky down there? Up looks down, down looks up. Am I falling or not?

Now imagine this while playing with an Oculus Rift...

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Stardust said:

Sorry, but I have to ask: what would the camera show during a spin attack?

The world going around real fast or like, just the path ahead, as if Sonic was running normally?

'Cause if it were true first person, then imagine what you would see everytime you attack an enemy. Picture this: You're about to attack the Death Egg Robot. You start spinning like mad. You jump. Then you press a directional button and you're like, wait, am I going left, right or what? And wth.  Is that the sky down there? Up looks down, down looks up. Am I falling or not?

Now imagine this while playing with an Oculus Rift...

The true answer is to have it stay at a fixed position, but have a God Mode where the camera moves 1:1 with Sonic at all times for the speedrunners and Oculus Rift thrillseekers. 

Then you could have an emerald hunting Knuckles story done in the style of Pokemon Go, to really capture the zeitgeist. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Hyp3hat said:

The true answer is to have it stay at a fixed position, but have a God Mode where the camera moves 1:1 with Sonic at all times for the speedrunners and Oculus Rift thrillseekers. 

Then you could have an emerald hunting Knuckles story done in the style of Pokemon Go, to really capture the zeitgeist. 

It would be cool!

• Thumbs Up 1

If possible; I'd make a one or two BIG hub worlds rather than multiple smaller ones, I'd also give Sonic a mode similar to the "Web Rush" mechanic in the amazing Spiderman games. EG: Hold RT/R1 while running to automatically dodge and flip through obstacles.

I'd also love to see some more worthwhile collectables in either the stages or hub world, Some little bonus cinematics or audio would be perfect for unlockables, here are just a few possibilities... 

Sonic's voice-mail (audio)

Tails' invention tests (video)

G.U.N files (anything)

Chaotix ads (video)

Amy's diary (audio)

• Thumbs Up 2

Or alternatively, an RTS kinda deal.

...kinda wonder if you can make an asymetric multiplayer game where you have to stop one Sonic character with an army of bots and your own level design.

A lot of people suggest a RTS (Real Time Strategy) game for Dr Eggman, but I'm not sure how that would work, or if it'd even be fun.

I feel that sprucing up the mech shooter levels from SA2 and adding a few giant robot battle sections as Diogenes suggested would be a great idea. I'd also add sections where you control his badniks, which could be fun.

Plotwise, not sure, but maybe have Eggman's latest fight against Sonic go haywire and he's blown clear across the galaxy into another solar system, and has to fight off a galactic empire of sorts to find a way to get back home. In the process, he defeats the empire and becomes the hero of that planet, and he learns that being good might not be such a bad thing. But then as soon as he gets home Sonic taunts him and it's business as usual.

I know I will get destroyed for this but I do actually want to see a Silver game where he teams up with Sonic and Blaze. I want him to have still genesis styled gameplay but use his powers in a way that works with speed and platforming.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Mikyeong said:

I know I will get destroyed for this but I do actually want to see a Silver game where he teams up with Sonic and Blaze. I want him to have still genesis styled gameplay but use his powers in a way that works with speed and platforming.

Dunno if you've seen/heard of it, but there's a hack called The S Factor where you can play as Silver in a 2D Genesis-type game.

• Thumbs Up 1

i said this one on the Thread of "things that will never happend" XD but

i would like to see an Amy Rose game..  one with the focus on Amy and her friends.. like Cream, Vanilla, Blaze, Big, Gemerld maybe .. Rouge too.. well

--

i also had an game idea long ago.. an Storybook game about the Wizard of Oz ... Sonic wearing the ruby sneakers, and going through the yellow road ..(like there is various roads and the player has to follow the yellow one only? ) hehe dunno

i think it would be cool..

--

also.. a Sonic Boom tv show fighting game..

latest?cb=20150927162148 like something like this... XD

like those games that  CN puts on their Webpages :D hehe..

---

Just now, Diogenes said:

Still kinda want an Eggman game, alternating between some kind of gadget-based platformer and big mech battles. A goofy mad scientist vs mad scientist kinda thing.

ohh i would like that one too! *o* 

• Thumbs Up 2

27 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Still kinda want an Eggman game, alternating between some kind of gadget-based platformer and big mech battles. A goofy mad scientist vs mad scientist kinda thing.

Bring in Dr. Quark from AoSTH and have him challenge Eggman to a battle. :lol:

3 hours ago, Mikyeong said:

I want to see more of Silver, too. And Blaze, if possible.

This is an old post I made in another forum (sorry for any copy/paste issues), I was not thinking about a specific controller when it was made and partially made it a template on the old Sega Genesis controller - so just say A is the closest to the player's thumb, L&R are shoulder buttons, and the rest are wherever

MY IDEAL CONTROLS AND GAMEPLAY FOR SONIC AND OTHER CHARACTERS (yes OTHER characters other than Sonic)

• The overall gameplay is momentum based - running down hill increases speed, Rolling downhill increases speed even more than running down it, etc. 

• The different characters are not all that different (they have only a little variation in speed - not including Sonic & Shadow's Boost speeds - but are all so fast that Quick Step and Drift are needed) and the goal is always to get to the goal as fast as possible, but differ in certain abilities (basically Sonic 3 and Knuckles style differences) that change up the experience. 

• Roll replaces all forms of sliding and somersaulting for getting under things and can be used for smashing or burrowing in some areas. 

• Controls are limited to 3 face buttons (A, B, C), 2 shoulder buttons (R, L), and the control stick.

• No more scripted moments as getting through loops, screws, etc requires enough momentum to get through and the character remains playable during the event (to collect Rings or avoid obstacles with Quick Step).

Sonic

• Jump - press A on ground

• Homing Attack - tap A in air

• Wall Jump - touch wall when in air then tapping A to Jump while sliding down wall

• Crouch - hold B when standing

• Roll - tap B when running

• Bounce Attack - tap B in air

• Peel Out - hold C when standing and Boost meter is empty or less than one segment (builds Boost meter)*

• Boost - press C when Boost meter has at least one segment filled (hold C to continue Boost)*

• Air Boost - hold C in air when Boost meter has at least one segment filled*

• Spin Dash - hold B (Crouch) + hold C (works like the Peel Out, builds the Boost meter)**

• Quick Step - hold L + control stick

• Drift - hold R + control stick

* Boost meter is momentum based, as momentum builds by basic running so does Boost meter build. However the Boost meter does not build during use of Boost, nor does it build if Sonic is slowing down or is in mid air; it will even start depleting if Sonic is standing still without using the Peel Out. The Boost meter is separated into sections (similar to Sonic Unleashed for Wii), tapping the Boost button once uses an entire section of the meter; if there is not 1 full section in the Boost meter and Sonic is not moving, then he goes into Peel Out which builds the Boost meter while standing still - releasing Peel Out before filling at least one section of the Boost meter only sends Sonic running at his max non-Boost / non-gimmick running speed (basically the fastest speed Sonic can obtain running without using Boost, dash pads, downward slopes, etc). The Boost acts similar to hitting a dash pad as releasing Boost button brings out the momentum based gameplay's ability to hold the Boost speed without holding the button (so long as no obstacles or large upward hills slow the speed). The Boost can be prolonged past the initial Boost by holding the button, after the initial Boost ends the prolonged Boost begins depleting the Boost meter more like how other modern Sonic games with the Boost work (Unleashed & Generations for X360 or Colors for Wii); however the Boost meter should not be that long and cannot recharge in mid-Boost so it would deplete quickly. While in the Boost, Sonic can only be hurt by spikes, electricity, and projectiles, however he does not damage enemies either (that is what Spin Dash and Roll do) he only stuns the enemy he ran into at the cost of all of his speed (he is thrown comically back on his spiny behind similar to if he ran into a wall).

**Spin Dash works much like the Peel Out: it builds the Boost meter, if released with at least one segment filled then speed is equal to Boost, if released before one segment filled then speed is max running speed - either way it is harder to control Rolling than running.

Tails

• Flight - press A when in air (lasts for duration of Flight meter)

• Flight Ascend - hold A when in Flight

• Flight Quick Descend - hold B when in Flight

• Tail Spin - tap or hold C (like in SA)

• Accelerate - hold B (Crouch) + tapping C (more taps for greater rev)*

• Air Accelerate - hold C in air*

• Quick Step - hold L + control stick

• Drift - hold R + control stick

* Accelerate is like Tails version of the Sonic's Peel Out and Boost (more like if Sonic releases a Peel Out before building enough energy for Boost): Tails stays in place as he spins his tails for a moment then dashes forward at his max speed which can be maintained by the momentum based gameplay; Tails is also momentarily only able to be hurt by spikes, electricity, and projectiles (which cannot be extended by holding a button longer unlike how Sonic's Boost can). During this short period, similar to Sonic, he does not damage any enemies either (with the same exceptions as Sonic) but only stuns the one he ran into while getting knocked down at the cost of all of his speed (like he hit a wall). 

Tails has a Flight meter to replace Sonic's Boost meter, it automatically refills when not flying.

Knuckles

• Glide - hold A in air

• Climb - Glide onto wall

• Drill Claw - B in air (Digs into the ground)

• Punch - tap C on ground

• Punch Combo - rapidly tapping C on ground (works exactly like the combo in SA2 and does not slow down speed if moving)

• Power Punch - hold C on ground (has homing ability, charges Power meter for more damage)

• Hammer Punch - C in air (slams down to ground which causes earthquake stunning all ground enemies and throwing debris that can damage all close by ones)

• Ground Dig - hold B (Crouch) + X*

• Wall Dig - tap B when Climbing on wall*

• Quick Step - L + control stick

• Drift - R + control stick

* In 3D sections, the Dig works almost exactly like in the Adventures: Knuckles digs in and comes right back out (if he digs down in certain places which are marked with an arrow or cracks or something he gets a hidden item). In 2D sections, the Dig works exactly like the Yellow Drill Wisp in Sonic Colors. Obviously there are only certain places or types of ground / wall where he can use Dig.

Knuckles has a Power meter to replace Sonic's Boost meter - the Power meter is what charges for his homing Power Punch that can defeat bosses and mini-bosses in 2 to 3 hits when fully charged; his Power meter is replaced by a Dig meter when he is digging in 2D which works similar to the Wisp meter in Sonic Colors (if his Dig meter completely depletes while digging he loses a life).

Shadow

• Homing Attack - tap A in air

• Wall Jump - touch wall when in air then tapping A to Jump while sliding down wall

• Chaos Spear - tap B in air when with a Chaos Emerald and enough Rings*

• Chaos Blast - hold B in air when with a Chaos Emerald and enough Rings (hover in place for the short moment while charging, if released early it becomes Chaos Spear)*

• Air Shoe Hover - hold B in air to hover in place for a moment when without a Chaos Emerald or not enough Rings (this is just the Chaos Blast hover)*

• Peel Out - hold C when standing and Boost meter is empty or less than one segment (builds Boost meter)**

• Boost - press or hold C when Boost meter has at least one segment filled (hold C to continue Boost)**

• Spin Dash - hold B (Crouch) + hold C***

• Quick Step - L + control stick

• Drift - R + control stick

• Chaos Control - L + R when with a Chaos Emerald and enough Rings*

* When Shadow has a Chaos Emerald, in exchange for Rings he can use Chaos Control (Time Stop version only), Chaos Spear, and Chaos Blast - each technique requires a different number of Rings; cannot use if do not have enough Rings or no Emerald - instead replaced with a very short hover ability.

**His Peel Out, Boost, and Boost meter work exactly the same as Sonic's (but a bit slower in speed and with different animations - like his Peel Out is him hovering in place as jets of fire are spouted from his shoes).

***His Spin Dash also works exactly the same as Sonic's.

However I am still against shoehorning characters into a game they are better left out of simply for the sake of putting them in - I am also against putting characters into a game if it in any way creates a risk that the extra pressure and work would drive down quality of the game.

People say the Boost/UT formula is good, but shallow. I have a great way to use it:

BLAZE THE CAT

Platform: Arcade, 3DS, Wii U, PS Vita for physical releases, Xbone, PS4, PC download.

Gameplay: Blaze the Cat uses the boost gameplay, which makes sense for her because of her foot thrusters allowing her to boost around. Boost juice is earned by opening capsules or destroying enemies. Players can also boost in the air, and also have a vertical boost avaliable by pressing boost during her hover. Her homing attack can also be performed on the ground with stomp+boost. Drifiting will make her spin in a fire tornado; press Stomp to make her flames swirl around and hit foes.

Story: Blaze has to find some sort of power object that can eclipse even the Jeweled Scepter in power.

• Thumbs Up 1