Awoo.

Sonic Game Ideas Thread!

Hiki

4 minutes ago, Phos said:

Ever played Tribes Ascend? It gave me the idea for a Sonic capture the flag game/mode. 

There's actually a fairly well-known Sonic fan-game that has a CTF mode called Srb2.

1 hour ago, Adamabba said:

There's actually a fairly well-known Sonic fan-game that has a CTF mode called Srb2.

Tribes Ascend sparked it because of that game's skiing mechanic, it has a bit in common with Sonic's slope physics, plus the air you can get going off a ramp reminds me of certain speed run routes. 

Sonic Rebellion - Shadow is captured by GUN in order to exterminate him and create a new Project Shadow, Sonic and Co. Head off to rescue him. (Takes place between Heroes and ShTH).

Sonic Red Dawn - Explains the origins of Mobians. They're aliens. Black Doom (who managed to survive his battle with Shadow) has created a more mobian-esque body for himself (hence he looks more like eclipse) is the main villain.

Sonic Heavens - Explores the concept of more floating islands besides Angel Island and the people who live on them.  

Sonic Detonation - Showcases Shadow and Rouge's duties as GUN agents. Think something like a generic cop movie, like the Rush Hour series. Sonic shows up too, I guess. 

Sonic & the Pirate Storm - Pirate-based storybook game with Mermaids, Krakens, and obviously Pirates. 

Sonic Shattered Kingdom - Eggman starts a plan to take over a certain kingdom in order expand the Eggman Empire's territory.

Sonic Universe - Sonic X Season 3 adaptation.

Sonic Fusion - Eggman attempts to create humans capable of utilizing Chaos Energy, with little success, and does so by experimenting on innocent people he's kidnapped.

What about Storybook games? How about...

Shadow & The Maltese Falcon - he's the noirest detectivest character in Sonic, and it's super easy to slot in Sonic characters there, the villain is even called Fat Man.

Sonic and Knuckles' Knock Knock Adventures

Story: Sonic, Knuckles, Tails and Eggman were all fighting over the chaos emeralds. Through all that fighting, Knuckles decided to shatter all of the emeralds, causing them to fling all over the place. Sonic gets angry at Knuckles and wonders why he did it and Knuckles explains that he did it to protect the chaos emeralds and if they kept fighting, Eggman would have won. Knuckles wanted to go find the emerald pieces alone, however Sonic convinces him that he cannot do it alone and that he can help him get the job done. With hesitation, Knuckles agrees and he and Sonic go on an adventure to find the chaos emeralds.

Concept: I imagined this game to be a 3D Sonic game but with the Genesis-styled physics; all the while using modern techniques. The emeralds are split into 2 an emeralds, so Sonic and Knuckles have 6 stages each. It is a start to finish, hold up to win type of game, like the Adventure series but with a classic feel. The emerald shards are pretty much the goal ring at the end of each stage and also you can dig up red rings which are optional.

Controls

rLLGAvY.png

A - Jump

A+A - homing attack

A toward a wall - wall jump

A + B - dig

B - crouch while running

Y - Ring dash

X - Spindash/mach dig (underground. Sonic digs using his spindash)

Up + RT - parkour

up x2 = air dash from Sonic Advance 2

down - roll (perfect for going fast down slopes)

RB + LB - side step

OS5sfle.png

A - jump

A + A - glide

A towards a wall - wall climb

A + B - Dig

B - punch/mach dig (while underground)/fast dive (while gliding)

Y - crouch while running

X + turn thumbstick in a circular motion - circle punch (running and standing still)

Down - roll (easy for them slopes)

A + A + RT = mach glide (hold A to glide and press RT to glide faster)

• Thumbs Up 2

Using down on the stick to roll doesn't really work in a 3D game, since you'd usually use that to brake or walk towards the camera. It'd be better to just have the crouch button handle that, I think. Also how are you picturing digging working? Kinda like Knuckles in RoL, where you can move around just under the surface, or something else?

• Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Using down on the stick to roll doesn't really work in a 3D game, since you'd usually use that to brake or walk towards the camera. It'd be better to just have the crouch button handle that, I think. Also how are you picturing digging working? Kinda like Knuckles in RoL, where you can move around just under the surface, or something else?

Yeah that's true. I could have used the spindash button for that to or else how are they gonna get under tight spaces when they run? As for digging I was picturing it like the drill wisp except you can actually see underground so it's more controlled. I pictured it for shortcuts and also for artifact reasons like the red rings.

I don't really have any detailed ideas for a Sonic game I'd like right now, but I had some interesting ideas when I was younger. I remember me and my sister talking a lot about an idea for a new Adventure game, but even back then I instinctively knew the name "Sonic Adventure 3" was too emotionally charged and controversial, so the original name I came up for it was...Sonic Adventure Multiplatform. I kid you not. xD Thankfully, my sister recognized how utterly lacking that name was, and suggested a new one based on the storyline: Sonic Adventure: Forgotten Robot. See, the storyline had something to do with Silver Sonic from Sonic 2 (I know his name is really Mecha Sonic but I don't care, I've always known him as Silver Sonic :P). Since the Death Egg crashed on Angel Island, the remains of Silver Sonic ended up there and...um...there was something about chaos energy or something possessing Silver Sonic's remains or something...I really don't remember, ugh. =P I don't really remember much else about it, other than it was going to have an absurdly huge amount of playable characters, you could equip chao to your character and they could fight with you or something, and there was a multi-player mode where you could unlock even more characters, including Mighty and Bean and junk like that. Oh, and I think we kept the "alternate gameplay styles" that are the Adventure games' somewhat unfortunate hallmark, but that now Knuckles' goal was to defeat all the enemies instead of treasure hunting. And yeahh that's about all I know. Most of the ideas don't sound too great in retrospect, but the one thing I like is that it actually took something from a previous game (a very old one, in fact) and expanded on it, which I really wish the Sonic series did more often.

I think I once had an idea for a Knuckles game, but the only idea I remembered was finding a way to sort of combine gliding with the homing attack...like, you could be gliding nearby an enemy and then you can press a button and home in and punch it.

• 2 weeks later...

Emperor Metallix's Metallix Maker!

In this game, you are in control over the production of a new Metallix model lineup. You can pick the character you want to base the robot on, choose parts, alloys, power sources, and other features. After that, it's off to testing! You test your Metallix and add new features and revisions. See if your model becomes a mass-produced Metallix! Controlling the newly-built Metallix works like in Transformers: War for Cybertron.

• 2 weeks later...

To heck with it, I'm tired of writing and re-writing this thing, so here is my documents and notes that I'm too frustrated to alter anymore. 

9yvOCju.png

Grab some coffee and chill

Spoiler

more jazzed up Sonic 1 songs

Pretend this game exists after Sonic Adventure 2 as a swansong for the Sega Dreamcast. Hook up your VMU for the mini game to do stuff. Transfer Chao from SA1 and SA2 to be your buddy to increase your score combos. 

This is not finished, and it never will be. It's far too complex for me to care anymore, but think of it as a 2D Classic Sonic game but with modern aesthetics and more stuff to do. Also Sonic's dash attack isn't a homing attack, and Shadow being playable isn't a canon situation, he's an unlockable extra. Takes place between SA2 and Heroes (or Advance series w/e) to explain the whole moon thing. sit back and lose your minds. 

Spoiler

Preface

Title, Plot and Premise
The game is titled Sonic the Hedgehog: Mobius Island.

One year after the events of Sonic Adventure 2, Dr. Eggman finds out about an ancient battle station called the “Ultimate Starship” while scrolling through his grandfather’s research documents. Ancient Knuckle Tribe legends speak of this massive moon-sized interstellar starship’s raw power; with its ability to harness the Chaos Emeralds to their fullest power, it once patrolled the galaxies and housed an ancient race of Mobians who ruled the Universe with an iron fist many thousands of years ago.

Its reign ended once the Knuckle tribe strategically overpowered the inhabitants of this starship and looted the Chaos Emeralds for their own gain. Before they could control the Starship, one of the last surviving inhabitants initiated “Chaos Control” to send the starship itself into another dimension to prevent it from being used by the Knuckle tribe. While they retained the Chaos Emeralds, the starship was forever lost, however rumors speak of a machine capable of calling the Starship back into existence, hidden deep within the catacombs of “Mobius Island;” a mythical territory inhabited by restless spirits and ancient automatons that guard its secrets, including both the machine used to call the Starship, as well as a rare variety of crystals which contain a similar (albeit limited) power signature to that of the Chaos Emeralds! To Eggman, this is the ultimate vacation destination. This island was once lost in the depths of the ocean, its secrets sinking with it, but the weakened tides of the moon after it was halved in the events of Sonic Adventure 2 have allowed the island to rear its mountains once again, allowing it to be seen from satellite mapping. Eggman promptly sets a course to the mystic island.

Eggman easily overwrites the primitive AI of the automatons and forces them to tell him the location of this machine. Having secretly collected the Chaos Emeralds, he successfully initiates the program which calls the Starship into the sky, making it appear as if Earth had two moons! Just as Eggman is about to grab the Emeralds and board the station, a failsafe program activates on the machine, causing the Emeralds glow a hot red and shatter into thousands of pieces which then disappear into the Special Zone, preventing him from using them to re-activate the Starship. Frustrated, Eggman initiates his backup plan – harvesting the islands magic crystals and using the automatons as an expanded work force.

Not yet satisfied, Eggman also finds a way to infiltrate the government’s robot militia (GUN) to harvest their Chaos Drives and use them alongside the crystals, as well as using them to effectively triple Eggman’s robot army defense. They get to work both mining the crystals and renovating the Starship to give it his iconic “mustached” look, as well as upgrade its dated defense weapons. 

As all this is taking place, the destruction of the Chaos Emeralds has resulted in absolute mayhem on Angel Island. Even with the Master Emerald in its place, the island begins to crash land; however it crashes almost deliberately towards Mobius Island! Knuckles, the Master Emerald’s guardian and last surviving of the ancient Echidna race, sets out to explore this mysterious landmass, the legends of which he knows well.

Meanwhile, another one who is sensitive to the destruction of the Chaos Emeralds sets out to investigate; none other than the world’s renowned hero Sonic the Hedgehog! With his best friend Tails piloting the Tornado, they set out towards the coordinates where the Chaos Emeralds were last detected on Tails’ Emerald radar. Unbeknownst to them, stowing away in the back trunk of the Tornado sits ultimate Sonic fangirl Amy Rose, who’s presence is thanks to that of her magical cards which told her that something good would happen if she tagged along.

As Amy reunites with her friends once they land (much to Sonic’s chagrin), they are immediately ambushed by one of GUN’s military robots; when out from underneath the robot’s feet pops out Knuckles who uppercuts and destroys the robot in one shot. The robot explodes, revealing not a Chaos Drive, but a small Flicky. This is more than enough to clue everyone in to Eggman’s presence on the island, and they go in agreement towards the ancient temple in the dense jungles, beginning their next great adventure together!

Can they stop Dr. Eggman before he re-activates the Starship? Can they restore the Chaos Emeralds? What other secrets are the ancient automatons hiding? The only way to find out is to speed through the island and explore its secrets yourself. Take control of Sonic, Tails, Knuckles or Amy and use their unique abilities to overcome all of Mobius Island’s traps, obstacles and robots before Eggman takes control!

Gameplay mechanics and items
The game plays very much like a hybrid of sorts between the original Genesis games (mainly Sonic 3) and some of the more modern 2D sidescrollers (primarily Sonic Advance 2). Sonic and friends blast through many colorful levels and worlds at incredible speeds while finding secrets and collecting rings fast as possible, but there are many obstacles and enemies in the way to prevent you from getting there in one piece.

Players must take advantage of the sloped terrain and abundance of springs and platforms by timing their jumps, attacks and rolling mechanics to traverse each level in a speedy pace, however the player is rewarded sweetly for exploring the level and performing tricks and combos in abundance with secrets that help them on their long term adventure. Additionally, performing well by completing levels quickly, finding many secrets and collecting plentiful rings will reward the player with bonus points which can be used outside of the main game for extra modes.

The game world is divided into Zones representing different areas on Mobius Island, and each Zone has 4 Acts, each different in appearance and style from one another while remaining in the same environment. The second act ends in a mini boss battle while the fourth act ends with a boss battle against the evil Dr Eggman himself! The acts can be selected independently in most modes, but in the main adventure modes, the levels flow seamlessly from one to another similar to Sonic 3 & Knuckles. At the end of an Act (sans the fourth) the player will pass an end goal signpost and the camera will focus on Sonic running and posing for the player while the end level score tallies and gives bonuses. Once finished, the next level begins immediately as Sonic continues his jog into the next Act.

The fourth Act ends after the boss is defeated as Sonic lands on top of a big Animal Capsule, freeing a ton of animals and posing for the camera in place. After this, in adventure mode, a short cutscene will trigger, showing how Sonic progresses to the next Zone.

PARTNER SYSTEM: While it is possible to play through the game as a single character, it is possible to be accompanied by any other character that can be unlocked in the game. (Sonic and Tails, Sonic and Knuckles, Tails and Knuckles, Amy and Sonic, etc). There are no changes in mechanics and movesets when the partner system is enabled, however depending on the mode this will allow a second player to join in on the action. In single player modes, pressing the “Switch” trigger (L) will allow the character to switch the lead character to the partner, and vice versa.

This allows for more variety in how the player can explore the level, as each character has their own unique abilities and moves (as well as limitations). In 2 player modes where the same screen is being used rather than a split-screen, both players must press the switch trigger to switch the lead character (and therefore, where the camera is focused). Score is shared and Rings and Lives are collected by both characters, but rings and lives can only be lost by the lead character. There are some opportunities for combo moves (Tails carrying their partner through flight, Sonic’s spindash acting as a dash panel and Knuckles carrying another character and throwing them, for example), otherwise the characters act and control independently.

The partner system is not available in 2P races, and two players cannot select the same character (unless they are wearing an alternate costume for distinction)

RINGS: The quintessential Sonic collectable; if it’s not in a Sonic game, it isn’t really a Sonic game. Rings exist in Sonic’s universe in abundance, and collecting them has a variety of benefits aside from the intrinsic “bling” sound. Rings primarily function as a means of health – as long as the player has one ring in tow, they can avoid being killed by enemies and most obstacles, save for being crushed, falling down a bottomless pit or by drowning; this makes it rather lenient for casual players not interested in bonuses or scoring, as they only need to worry about having a single ring to stay safe.

For more serious players, however, rings are everything. Each ring is worth 10 points, however collecting more will begin to increase a combo multiplier. Collecting an abundance of rings incrementally adds to this multiplier, making it worthwhile to collect as many rings as possible, even increasing the score value of the rings themselves. This includes enemy score bonuses, animal bonuses, etc. More rings means more points.

More rings also means more speed, however. While the player will be quick from the start (like any good Sonic game), collecting many rings will increase the speed-cap and acceleration rate for the player, making it easier to pick up speed and enter into the ‘boost-mode.’ Rings also can be used to enter bonus stages at one of the many Starpost check-points throughout each act. Collecting between 20 and 100 rings will cause a ring of sparling stars to appear above the Starpost, and will warp the player to a Bonus Stage when jumped in.

In the adventure modes, rings are given a new property: they can be carried over from stage to stage. This would mean that an experienced player could carry potentially hundreds, if not thousands of rings by the end of a Zone, even by the end of the game, and in essence points as the combo multiplier will keep increasing, and the points for every ring collected will be tallied at the end of each Act. For those worried about losing all of those rings, there are a total of three “Ring Banks” in each Act which can be used to deposit all of the rings at hand by standing on top of it and pressing “B.”

Banked rings will be saved for the score tally at the end of each Act, after which they’ll be deposited into the games “Big Bank” which is used outside of normal play, and will no longer be factored into the game’s scoring afterwards. In level select, ranked and mission modes, rings are sent to the Big Bank at the completion of a level, as the player isn’t progressing through one act after another. The Big Bank holds all the rings ever collected and successfully banked, and will be used alongside score points as currency outside of the game.

SCORE: Somewhat overlooked in the 2D sidescrollers, the player is awarded series of points for playing the game well. Every ring, every enemy destroyed, animal collected, secret found, tricks performed and every second spared when completing the level adds to a total score. In the Adventure modes, the player is not given a rank at the end of each level, however rankings do return for Mission and Time Attack modes. Points reset to “0” at the end of each Act as they are added to the “Points Card,” where they can be used in the game’s ecosystem as currency, alongside rings.

TRICKS: Throughout the game, players are given opportunities to perform tricks after launching off of springs, ramps, trick hoops and other similar gimmicks. By pressing the “R” trigger, the player can perform a trick that launches them either up, down left or right depending on the placement of the analog stick or d-pad. The trick button can then be pressed excessively to perform more tricks to gain more points. Tricks can be useful to gain a little extra air-time, and since they are damage-causing, can save the player from losing their rings if used on an enemy at the right time. There are also occasional automatic “Trick Events” which have Sonic flying in a fixed speed and direction, but allow for rhythmic succession of tricks which will add even more bonus points. These are triggered by “Special Springs” and other similar items.

TIME: In this game, the time counts up and doesn’t end at 10 minutes; however the player is awarded with many points at the end of each level for completing the level as quickly as possible. In certain mission modes, the timer may be limited and count downwards. In these modes, there is a “Clock” power-up which can add anywhere between 5 to 20 seconds to the timer. Time can also be manipulated in any mode by “Shadow,” when he uses his special “Chaos Control” ability.

ENEMIES: Eggman has a massive force of badniks, military robots and ancient automatons at his disposal, all powered by helpless animals! Most enemies are worth 100 points upon defeat, and can be destroyed in a matter of one hit. There are, however, some robots that are bigger in size and power and may take as many as three hits to defeat, but are worth more points and yield more animals. There are a huge variety of enemies in each Zone, and have different forms of defense and offense, but can be used for platforming if jumped on at the right time. Touching one will cause damage to Sonic, so watch out!

ANIMALS: Not seeing much use in most Sonic games, they provide more incentive to explore and defeat enemies in this game. Because Dr Eggman has replaced GUN robots and ancient Automatons’ power supplies with them, they’re in a much wider variety of robots this go round, and each are powered by one animal. It’s not enough to defeat the robot, though. You must collect the animal for a little extra bonus points, and at the end of each level, the animals saved will be tallied for a bonus much like the rings, but will not carry over from act to act. They are also found in certain bonus stages.

Throughout the game, there are miniature animal capsules (as seen in Sonic Lost World and the mission modes in Sonic Generations) which are hidden throughout the levels, and destroying them will reveal a group of animals that are automatically added to your counter and are worth double the points. Animals also have a use outside of the game; Animals are sent to a safe haven where they can be traded for Chao Buddies who can help you on your quest.

LIFE ‘TOKENS’: The player will start the game off with 5 lives, and once the player is hit by an enemy or damaging obstacle with no rings, is crushed, drowned or falls down a bottomless pit, the player will lose one life and respawn at the last Starpost touched, or at the beginning of the Act if no Starpost was touched. Once all lives are lost, it’s a game over. The player is sent to the continue screen where they are given 10 seconds to start the act over again (regardless of the last Starpost touched). But if the timer counts down to 0 or the player quits, any banked rings, score accrued and animals saved in that Act are lost.

Sonic games have always had a life system, however it has become increasingly obsolete as games have moved away from their arcade roots and towards bigger adventures with game saves. Despite 2D Sonic’s score-heavy arcade nature, lives are easy to accrue and it’s difficult for even novice players to get a game over. To compensate for the seemingly useless nature of lives, they are now “Life Tokens,” which are saved outside of the game to be used in various extra modes in the game. They are worth 100 rings. Collecting 100 rings or 10,000 points in-game will award the player for a life token, but they can also be purchased outside of the game with rings and points, however they will cost more. There are also life tokens lying around inside of item capsules, sometimes as many as 5 can be found. If the player completes a Special Stage after collecting all seven Chaos Emeralds, the player is awarded with 5 extra life tokens instead.

SPECIAL TRICK ITEMS: There are a series of special springs, hoops and ramps that aid in platforming, but also give an opportunity for Sonic to activate a series of tricks called a “Trick Event”. Pressing the trick button in quick rhythmic succession awards increasingly higher bonus points.  In the case for ramps, pressing the “jump” button will give Sonic greater air-time. These special items are usually rainbow-colored.

SPRINGS: There are several kinds of springs in this game. Springs can be placed horizontally, vertically or diagonally. Yellow Springs have an average bounce strength, Red Springs have the highest bounce strength. Blue Rings are only vertical, and are slightly larger. They’re similar to trampolines in that each successive bounce will bounce Sonic a little higher each time. Rainbow Springs bounce Sonic in a fixed speed and direction, and allow for a “Trick Event.”

RED RINGS: These bonus collectibles are found in most acts. There are 5 in each level and collecting them awards 20 rings as well as 2,000 points. Collecting them all by the end of the level adds an extra 10,000 bonus point award. They also serve to unlock bonus acts in the extra modes.

PUZZLE PIECES: These are found only in one of the extra modes. Collecting them adds puzzle pieces to a mini-game which has the player re-assembling artwork to unlock concept art.

GIANT RING: There is one in each act, and collecting one will provide an opportunity to access the “Special Stage.” The player must activate “boost mode” and maintain it for 3 seconds to travel to the Special Stage. When all Chaos Emeralds are collected, the player will still warp to the Special Stage, but play for 5 extra life tokens instead of a Chaos Emerald. In Ranked modes, they are simply worth 10,000 points and 50 rings.

Basic modes and ecosystem, DLC

1P MODE - Regular / Hard
Adventure Mode - Full game, includes "Regular" and "Hard Mode," which is unlocked after completing Adventure mode with all emeralds as any character - once completed, can jump in at any individual act and continue forward from there on the map screen. Both have Story and Classic variations which include and remove cutscenes respectively, but playing either counts towards unlocking content.

Free Play - Goes to map screen where player can select individual levels for free play, levels unlocked as Adventure mode progresses, limited by which character has completed the game

Rank Mode - (Time Attack, Score Attack, Ring Attack) Play each level individually to set records for time, score, time rings and a rank is awarded for each. (S, A, B, C, D, E, F)

Virtual World - A side game that unlocks short levels progressively as player collects Red Rings (are shared as any character). Similar to "Game Land" in Sonic Colors Wii, levels are selected individually, but once all are unlocked, can select "Marathon Mode" which plays them sequentially as a classic game. There are no bosses. Takes place in a digital grid with changing colors and chiptune music. Each level has 5 hidden puzzle pieces which can be used to unlock concept art once put together.

Boss Rush - Unlocked when Adventure mode is completed (as well as Hard Mode for those versions), a gauntlet where the player defeats both Mini Bosses and Egg Bosses back to back with checkpoints and a few rings before each fight, but only 3 lives are available. These are ranked. "BRUTAL Mode" is unlocked after defeating both, they have no rings and no lives with no checkpoints (and is for regular and hard versions)

2P MODE - Local or Online through SegaNet, Hard Mode if unlocked
Co-op - shared screen (if local), Adventure, Level Select, Virtual World (only one level at a time) and Boss Rush; Turn Mode or Together Mode - switch=one player at a time, changes upon death or next level, together=at the same time, leader changes upon death/next level or when both players press "Switch" button at the same time
Competition - split screen (if local), Adventure, Level Select, Virtual World and Boss Rush; players race to the goal and compete for the best overall score/time/rings.
Race - split screen (if local), level select only -race to the goal; rings, score are not factored

ONLINE MODE - MUST connect to SegaNet to access
Leaderboards - Lists top rankings in Rank Mode by friends, country and worldwide, as well as 30 second challenge.
30 Second Challenge - Play any level (not including Boss Rush) for 30 seconds and see how far you can go
Online Multiplayer - 2P Modes online, Level Select and Virtual World with any random user, but must have friend for Adventure and Boss Rush (any long form) mode.
DLC Shop - Download special Chao Buddies and holiday themed costumes and modes!

ECOSYSTEM MODE
Exchange Room - exchange rings and points for life tokens, animals and figures as well as unlockable costumes in the main game
Mini Games - play minigames from the main game to earn figures and extra rings, points, animals and life tokens to use in the game's ecosystem.
Fishing Dock (VMU) - download Big's Fishing Adventure to the VMU to play and earn extra points, rings and animals. Upload spoils at the Fishing Dock
Chao Farm - exchange animals to rent Chao Buddies for the single player modes. Can upload Chao from VMU from "Chao Adventure 1 and 2" from the Sonic Adventure games.

MUSEUM MODE
Puzzles - Put together puzzle pieces found in Virtual World
Art Gallery - View concept art and other series artwork unlocked
Sound Test - Listen to music and SFX from the game, unlocked as the Adventure progresses
Movies - View cutscenes from the Story mode as well as ads for other Sega games
Figures - View 3D figurines of Sonic characters, items and locations - unlocked in Bonus Stages and in the lottery

Big’s Fishing Adventure, Chao connectivity

Plays like Chao Adventure, but instead of walking somewhere, Big sits on the back of a boat and fishes constantly. Sometimes a fish will bite, and you enter a quick "reel-in" minigame. Theres a bar or black pegs that each get individually hilighted, but you need to time your button press right on the white peg to advance in reeling in the fish. Once you catch the fish, you can keep it or exchange it for rings in the in-game shop. Fish count as several animals each (depending on their size/weight) in the main game if you transfer them. Collecting lots of fish also award points, which will be transfered along with rings to the game's ecosystem. The fish can be worth a LOT of rings, too!

You can also play a mini game of matching to win better lures (but only for the duration between downloading your spoils to the game). The cost to play the game is 10 rings.

Outline the characters, and their abilities

Sonic
jump: Sonic/Shadow have the highest rolling jump

mid-air jump: dash attack. NOT homing, directional up, down and sideways. Built off of the shield abilities from Sonic 3, but less effective. Up is a double jump, sideways is a dash, down is a stomp. Fire shield turns side dash into an air boost, Water turns down dash into a bounce, Lightning shield increases double jump height

mid-air attack: insta-shield. split second invincibility with a slightly bigger attack radius and can deflect projectiles. Attack radius and length increases with any shield (standard, fire, water, lightning)

ground attack: somersault/slide, when stationary the somersault is a short dash forward, can squeeze through tight spaces. when moving, the somersault becomes a slide, does not slow momentum or increase it.

down and jump: Spindash. tap it and release to go fast in a roll.

up and jump/attack: Boost Peel-out. Charge and release and Sonic runs at top speed with a second of invulnerability, most like the "Strike Dash" from Sonic Chaos/Triple Trouble

Walljump/Parkour: Jump against a wall and Sonic will cling to the wall and slide down. Jump to bound off the wall and cling to an opposite wall. If you jump against the wall and hold the jump button, Sonic can run up the wall for a short period of time.

Rail grind: Sonic/Shadow can grind on rails which lead to different paths. pressing the attack button boots Sonic foward to gain momentum.

special: Ring Dash. Near a glowing trail of rings, Sonic can blast across and reach special areas at top speed.

Tails
jump: Tails/Knuckles have a shorter rolling jump

mid-air jump: flight. tap repeatedly to fly for a short while, acts as a "swim" underwater

mid-air attack: directional shocking tail-swipe. similar to the air-kick in Lost World 3DS. defeats small enemies, stuns bigger enemies depending on whatever direction on the control pad.

ground attack: tail swipe. when in direct contact with the tails, destroys an enemy. sends a projectile shockwave which can defeat small enemies and stun bigger enemies

down and jump: Spindash. tap it and release to go fast in a roll.

up and jump/attack: super fly: Tails charges up his... tails, and when relased he boosts upwards gains incredible height and is invincible during the upwards boost. Tails then descends as if he were tired.

special: hack. Tails plugs his Miles Electric into a socket which can have various effects such as opening doors, activating machinery, etc.

Knuckles
jump: Knuckles/Tails have a shorter rolling jump

mid-air jump: Glide. tap and hold to slowly descend in a forward direction.

wall-climb: When hitting a wall while gliding, can stick to the wall and climb up and down the wall. Not all walls can be clung to - other walls will bounce Knuckles the other way or cancel the glide.

mid-air attack: drill driver. upwards does an uppercut, sideways does a short forward dash, downwards does a spiral piledriver.

ground attack: punch combo. tap repeatedly to throw powerful punches.

down and jump: spindash. tap it and release to go fast in a roll.

up and jump/attack: super punch: Knuckles winds up and charges a massive punch. Release to do a short but huge boost which destroys anything in Knuckles' path and can break through certain rocks that other characters can't roll through.

special: Dig. In a patch of soft dirt, pressing down and attack button lets Knuckles dig through dirt to find access to special areas.

Amy
jump: Amy has a short standard jump with no attack properties

mid-air jump: magic jump. tap jump in mid-air to do a triple jump, giving Amy slightly more height than Sonic's standard, and has great horizontal exploit.

mid-air attack: hammer roll. Amy swings her hammer around, similar to Sonic's insta-shield, but with larger range and longer duration. Can deflect projectiles. down+attack does a downward spiral attack.

walljump: Amy can cling to walls and slide down. Jump to bound off the wall and cling to an opposite wall. Unlike Sonic, she cannot parkour up walls, but she can stick to walls for a little longer.

ground attack: Hammer swing. powerful and can defeat any enemy. Can hit rusty switches to activate various machines and traps. When running, Amy rolls her hammer around for a second.

down and jump: peel-out. tap repeatedly and release to go fast, but Amy can't roll, so she will be vulnerable to attack.

down and attack: giant hammerjump. Amy flies upwards in a big spin jump which can attack enemies while going up, but she falls and is vulnerable going down unless the hammer roll or a downward spiral attack is activated.

up and jump/attack: Paralyzing hammer: Amy charges her hammer with magic and it grows in size. When released, the shockwave stuns large enemies across the screen and kills smaller enemies.

Rails: Amy can walk on rails and move freely across them with great balance.

special: Mystic Melody. Amy uses her tarot cards to make a magic flute play around a sparkling area, which can have various effects.

Shadow
jump: Shadow/Sonic have the highest rolling jump

mid-air jump: homing attack/dash. Shadow blasts forward (but does not carry momentum) and quickly attacks a nearby enemy.

mid-air attack: Chaos Spear/Blast. tapping will send a quick energy spear towards the closest enemy. Holding freezes Shadow in the air and then releasing envelops Shadow in a red ball of destruction that kills all enemies inside of it. Longer the charge, greater the radius.

ground attack: Chaos Spear/Blast. tapping does an energy spear towards the closest enemy. Holding and releasing envelops Shadow in a red ball of destruction that kills all enemies inside of it. Longer the charge, greater the radius.

down and jump: Spindash. tap it and release to go fast in a ball.

up and jump/attack: Chaos Control. Once fully charged, Shadow performs "Chaos Control," and time slows down for 5-10 seconds (depending on the hold time).

Walljump: Jump against a wall and Shadow will cling to the wall and slide down. Jump to bound off the wall and cling to an opposite wall. Shadow cannot parkour like Sonic, and he slides down quicker than Sonic.

Rail grind: Shadow/Sonic can grind on rails which lead to different paths. pressing the attack button boots Shadow foward to gain momentum.

special: Chaos Laser. basically the Cyan Wisp. Near special rods and nodes, Shadow can turn into energy and dash along circuits to reach special areas. Some have branching paths.

---
4 button layout. (on a Sega Dreamcast)

A for Jump
X for Attack
B for Special/Context move
Y for Super transform (all characters can transform)
L for Switch (Switch DK Country Style, in co-op, p2 has to press it at the same time)
R for Trick (trick rings, ramps, special springs, can be used for airtime and combos for score)

How the game progresses in “Adventure” modes

Progression:
Cutscene, Zone 1, Act 1-Act2+Miniboss (running like in Advance 2),Act3-Act4+Eggboss (stationary like in the Classics), Cutscene, Zone 2, repeat

Special Stage: Find the giant warp ring (one in each Act) and run at top speed for 3 seconds

---
Extragame Ecosystem
Collecting rings, scoring points, finding animals and netting life tokens helps you participate in the ecosystem of Mobius Island in various ways, and these are essential to getting an enhanced experience playing through the game! Such as...

Chao Buddies /  Chao Farm:
You can visit the Chao Farm (or transfer your own Chao - up to 8 - through your VMU from Sonic Adventure 1 and 2!) and pay in animals to borrow a Chao to help you on your journey. Certain Chao have special effects, such as reducing the amount of rings you drop, increasing your score bonuses for finding animals, rings and defeating enemies, time bonuses and helping you find secrets. Some very rare Chao can be downloaded via SegaNet. The properties of your own Chao depend on their breed and type.

Figurine Lottery:
In the game's gallery mode, you can view concept art and figurines of characters, enemies and even Zones! You can find some of them in the game's Bonus Stages, but sometimes it's fun to gamble your rings, right? It's a 3x3 slot machine. Pay Life tokens for a play, just like an arcade. The more you pay, the higher the odds and better the rewards. Sometimes you win figurines, sometimes rings, but be careful, you might even lose rings!

Exchange Room:
Low on Life Tokens? Need some animals? This is where your rings and score points come in handy! Pay with either to exchange for Lives or Animals. You can even buy some power ups which you can take with you to the main campaign.

Other Bonus Games:
Normally accessible in the main game via Starposts/Checkpoints, but if you want to keep playing without worrying about being sent back to a regular Zone, this is the place for you. There are 5 Bonus games you can play, but it'll cost some Life Tokens to play! These games include
Pinchinko - A pinball/pachinko hybrid, use the flippers to toss Sonic around and score some points and rings.
Bouncy Circus - Similar to Sonic Jump, bounce upwards inside of an endless bouncy castle with cannons and bumpers to free animals from inside balloons. If you fall to the bottom of the visible screen, you're out!
Rotating Slots - Making it's grand return from Sonic & Knuckles, the rotating slot game takes inspiration from Sonic 1's rotating maze special stage and pits you inside of a constantly spinning arena where the goal is to earn as many rings as possible inside of the slots.
Roll-ette - Not a typo! Sonic jumps inside of a giant roulette wheel, and gambles some rings to win power ups. You could win more rings, though... or lose them!
Skeeball - Take aim  and spindash into the goal, and hope for a good turnout of rings and points! Try to avoid the obstacles in the way, though, and try to hit some badniks on the way to earn a few animals, too!

LEVELS

Spoiler

Emerald Shoals Zone:
Act 1+2: Shining Shores
Mini Boss: GUN Mobile BIGFOOT mk2
Act 3+4: Tiki Tropics
Egg Boss: Crabmeat Prime [Eggman pilots a giant enemy crab]
Wave Ocean meets Green Hill. A beautiful beachside reserve complete with rolling green hills, gem-studded hillsides, wooden tiki statues, wild red flora and a pristine cerulean ocean with glittering bars of emerald across the shore, caused by the bioluminescent "Emerald Fish," which becomes increasingly beautiful as the sun sets. Sonic travels from the inlet towards the dense jungles ahead. Catch a ride on a dolphin and surf across radical glowing green waves! For some reason, GUN's military robots are after Sonic in addition to Eggman's badniks. What's up?! He takes control of Crabmeat Prime and Sonic has to take down this crazy crustaceon!

-Eggman reveals that he has bypassed the military's code and overwritten all of their robot's AI to serve him! What does Eggman want with the military? Follow him to the jungle!-

Shrouded Ruins Zone:
Act 1+2: Rainforest Rapids
Mini Boss: Mega Automaton
Act 3+4: Temple Tempest
Egg Boss: Rusty Golem [Eggman controls an ancient automaton]
Rusty Ruin meets Aquatic Ruin. A damp and musty rainforest in the dark of night, kept alight by torches, fireflies, glowing plants, mushrooms and ancient temple circuitry. Hang tight on swinging vines, bounce on giant fungus, teleport with ancient orbs and watch out for crumbling bricks. Gain speed through rapid waterslides and flumes, but avoid the deep end of the waters if you can, especially the sticky swamp. Sonic treks through the dark jungle into the catacombs of the ruins. While the inside is lit by ancient neon lights and torches, it's also home to some spectral ghosts! Deeper inside of the ruins, Eggman reactivates and pilots a giant, rusty automaton, and it's deadly lasers prove quite a challenge!

-Eggman brought the golem to life with the energy of GUN's "Chaos Drives." Is that what this was all about? What else does he have planned? As Sonic exits the temple through an aqueduct, he flings forward into a bustling city that wasn't on Mobius Island the day before...-

Rhythm City Zone:
Act1+2: Jazz Junction
Mini Boss: Egg Pawn Bouncer
Act 3+4: Arcade Alley
Egg Boss: DJ Professor Egg
Music Plant meets Speed Highway. Eggman built this huge metropolis overnight, it seems! Bright lights distract you from the sparkling night sky as giant spinning records, bouncy cymbals, drums and grindable guitar strings spiral Sonic towards the inside of the capital where he becomes victim to Eggman's rigged arcade room, sucking him into one of the machines and digitizing him into a 16 bit sprite. Sonic travels from cabinet to cabinet taking part in minigames reminiscent of his bonus games from longtime past, eventually finding his way outside of the digital realm and inside of a giant pinball table. After a wild ride, Sonic confronts Eggman, who's taken up a hobby of being a deadly flying disc jockey. Fight off Eggman's razor-sharp CDs and sound waves and turn off his monster stereo machine for good!

-Eggman flees in his eggmobile and catches a ride on his Storm Fleet. Sonic jumps from the top of the tallest skyscraper and lands on the Tornado, piloted by Tails! They pursue Eggman in the dark hours of the early morning-

Sky Chase Zone 1:
Taking inspiration from Sonic Adventure and Sonic 4 Episode 2, Sonic and Tails attempt to storm the Storm Fleet, taking down a few battleships along the way. Eggman's been using those Chaos Drives to power his fleet, and it's time to take them down! But after some slick moves and tricky platforming, Eggman demonstrates the power of the powerful ancient space station and uses it's reserve energy to destroy the moon! The shockwaves send the Tornado hurdling down as Sonic plummets down towards the peak of a snowy mountain...

Sparkle Mountain Zone
Act1+2: Alpine Aurora
Mini Boss: GUN Mobile HEAVYDOG prototype
Act3+4: Crystal Caves
Egg Boss: Yetibot
Ice Cap meets Twinkle Snow. Just before the sun begins to rise, Sonic must regain his compisure as he rolls down a snowy mountain in a giant snowball (in a nod to Sonic 3). Dash across slippery cliffs and loops made entirely out of ice while the sparkling sky illuminates the snowbed with it's stars, galaxies and auroras. Sonic digs deeper into the snow and finds himself in a mine filled with glowing crystal rocks... and badniks harvesting them!

Radical Desert Zone
Progresses from a mineshaft to a western-styled desert and ends inside of a more "Egyptian" style temple

Magma Sanctuary Zone
Progresses from the inside of a volcano to the outer ruins, Sonic hitches a ride on the Tornado to catch the Storm Fleet

Sky Chase Zone 2:
Sonic and Tails storm the air base 

Storm Fleet Zone
Sky Deck meets Sky Troops, attack Eggman's fleet while hopping from floating ruins

Egg Ring Zone
Death Egg meets Final Rush, the giant battle space-station has been totally robotized with a giant metal ring around it. This Zone takes place starting at the ring and towards the surface of the station, and ends in a climactic showdown between Sonic and Eggman.

Deathly Space Zone (All Emeralds and Sonic only)
The Dreadnought awakens and appears in Dr Eggman's likeness. Sonic uses the Chaos Emeralds to become SuperSonic! A forcefield around the robot prevents Sonic from attacking it, so SuperSonic has to activate boost mode while flying through space while avoiding Eggman's deadly, planet-busting attacks to enter the Special Stage in order to warp inside of the forcefield to attack the massive enemy at full lightspeed force upon exiting the Special Stage. Direct hit! And the Special Stage replenishes your rings, too. A total of 8 hits destroys the Dreadnought and reveals the moon that was trapped inside of it!

EPILOGUE

Eggman is sent packing and the moon inside of the Dreadnought has been freed! Planet Earth is safe and now has a full moon again, and the galaxy is saved from Eggman's tyrannical reign.

A cutscene shows Eggman re-activating Metal Sonic from his stasis tube (seen in Sonic Adventure's Final Egg hub), setting the story for Sonic Heroes. 

Done. Done done done. 

D O N E. 

Never again.

• Thumbs Up 5

@Indigo Rush your idea is very good; but the ideas seem to be very much all over the place mostly for the extras and stuff. I do very much enjoy the inclusion of the F rank and I wonder if the characters will have the same reactions as Sonic did in Unleashed. I am not sure people are gonna want to hit a robot 3 times to get past since it breaks your pace and you lose time. I do like the partner system as here it is not forced and you can chose to fly solo if you want. Pretty much a better version of Heroes. I like it :)

Well as I said, this is an extremely rough draft that I have no intention of re-visiting. The extra modes were to provide an extra-game ecosystem that take advantage of the rings and points you collect. It's hard to make it sound appealing without images or visuals, but that's not gonna happen so I understand if it seems "all over the place."

Been trying to plot this for literal months.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Indigo Rush said:

Its reign ended once the Knuckle tribe strategically overpowered the inhabitants of this starship and looted the Chaos Emeralds for their own gain.

Two things about this: one, it feels like a real stretch that this universe-ruling colony got taken down by such a primitive tribe. I'm all for underdog stories, but I'm not sure how they could get around the "we could glass your entire civilization from orbit" aspect of fighting a Death Star.

Second, how does this fit in with SA's history? Is this supposed to be pre-Tikal/Chaos incident? Did these even-more-ancient Knuckles tribe members steal the emeralds, build a shrine for them, then lose control of it to Chaos?

This island was once lost in the depths of the ocean, its secrets sinking with it, but the weakened tides of the moon after it was halved in the events of Sonic Adventure 2 have allowed the island to rear its mountains once again,

I'll admit to not being an expert on tidal forces, but I'm not sure how this would work. If it wouldn't be visible at low tide normally, I don't see how less-extreme tides would reveal it.

Not yet satisfied, Eggman also finds a way to infiltrate the government’s robot militia (GUN) to harvest their Chaos Drives and use them alongside the crystals, as well as using them to effectively triple Eggman’s robot army defense. 

I don't see what involving GUN bots adds to things. It just seems unnecessary.

Collecting between 20 and 100 rings will cause a ring of sparling stars to appear above the Starpost, and will warp the player to a Bonus Stage when jumped in.

So...do you just not get a bonus stage if you have more than 100? Feels like a bit of a punishment.

For those worried about losing all of those rings, there are a total of three “Ring Banks” in each Act which can be used to deposit all of the rings at hand by standing on top of it and pressing “B.”

I feel like it'd be a lot simpler to just give the option to bank your rings at the end of each act. It doesn't require memorizing or stumbling upon the banks, it doesn't require breaking your pace to use them, and it doesn't put you in danger by taking away your rings mid-level.

Points reset to “0” at the end of each Act as they are added to the “Points Card,” where they can be used in the game’s ecosystem as currency, alongside rings.

I don't really see the need for two different currency systems. It seems especially redundant given that rings already feed into points (not just by their own value but by the combo system as well).

To compensate for the seemingly useless nature of lives, they are now “Life Tokens,” which are saved outside of the game to be used in various extra modes in the game.

So...is this then a third currency system, which again is fed into by the other two?

GIANT RING: There is one in each act, and collecting one will provide an opportunity to access the “Special Stage.” The player must activate “boost mode” and maintain it for 3 seconds to travel to the Special Stage. 

Would there be any way to cancel out of warping aside from stopping yourself? That was always one of my problems with CD, having to worry about time travelling when I didn't want to. Granted with only one giant ring per act it's less of a concern compared to CD throwing signposts everywhere.

special: hack. Tails plugs his Miles Electric into a socket which can have various effects such as opening doors, activating machinery, etc.

up and jump/attack: super punch: Knuckles winds up and charges a massive punch. Release to do a short but huge boost which destroys anything in Knuckles' path and can break through certain rocks that other characters can't roll through.

special: Mystic Melody. Amy uses her tarot cards to make a magic flute play around a sparkling area, which can have various effects.

Moves like these, I feel, kinda end up bogging down the flow of things. I understand wanting to include something that's unique about each character, but they don't seem to integrate well with the core Genesis Sonic-y gameplay. There's no flow to it, it's "stop and do a thing". With the spindash and peelout that's a balancing element, you have to decide whether to stop and charge up more speed or keep your current speed, but with these it's like, stop doing the thing that is fun in a Sonic game so you can open a door.

Also I kinda miss Knuckles' passive rock smashing from 3&K, I think that works better as a way to make him feel unique while still keeping the flow going.

• Thumbs Up 2

31 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Two things about this: one, it feels like a real stretch that this universe-ruling colony got taken down by such a primitive tribe. I'm all for underdog stories, but I'm not sure how they could get around the "we could glass your entire civilization from orbit" aspect of fighting a Death Star.

Yes I agree it's not very plausible.

Second, how does this fit in with SA's history? Is this supposed to be pre-Tikal/Chaos incident? Did these even-more-ancient Knuckles tribe members steal the emeralds, build a shrine for them, then lose control of it to Chaos?

I was thinking far pre-Chaos era.

I'll admit to not being an expert on tidal forces, but I'm not sure how this would work. If it wouldn't be visible at low tide normally, I don't see how less-extreme tides would reveal it.

I'm not either, obviously :P

I don't see what involving GUN bots adds to things. It just seems unnecessary.

More enemy variety, really

So...do you just not get a bonus stage if you have more than 100? Feels like a bit of a punishment.

It's supposed to loop around like in S3K

I feel like it'd be a lot simpler to just give the option to bank your rings at the end of each act. It doesn't require memorizing or stumbling upon the banks, it doesn't require breaking your pace to use them, and it doesn't put you in danger by taking away your rings mid-level.

Thought it would add a layer of strategy, tbh

I don't really see the need for two different currency systems. It seems especially redundant given that rings already feed into points (not just by their own value but by the combo system as well)

Idea was to give points their own worth like in Generations

So...is this then a third currency system, which again is fed into by the other two?

Yeah. Idea is that nearly everything you collect is worth something outside of the main adventures.

Would there be any way to cancel out of warping aside from stopping yourself? That was always one of my problems with CD, having to worry about time travelling when I didn't want to. Granted with only one giant ring per act it's less of a concern compared to CD throwing signposts everywhere.

I thought it was explained, but I guess not - it would be set to a timer. After 10 or so seconds, you lose the opportunity to warp.

Moves like these, I feel, kinda end up bogging down the flow of things. I understand wanting to include something that's unique about each character, but they don't seem to integrate well with the core Genesis Sonic-y gameplay. There's no flow to it, it's "stop and do a thing". With the spindash and peelout that's a balancing element, you have to decide whether to stop and charge up more speed or keep your current speed, but with these it's like, stop doing the thing that is fun in a Sonic game so you can open a door.

Fair enough. 

Also I kinda miss Knuckles' passive rock smashing from 3&K, I think that works better as a way to make him feel unique while still keeping the flow going.

Weak rocks - Knuckles walks through them, Sonic and co can Spindash through; Strong rocks - only Knux can break by punching.

Hope that answers it a bit. Shows how much more I needed to refine it. Was trying to find ways to add (somewhat?) sensible variety to the gameplay and further the Classic style some. Probably went too ambitious with this. I still stand by the scoring-combo system, as I think it was an important thing for the classics, at least enough to tell you that you got "100" points for booping a badnik.

I also hate the quoting in new SSMB.

• Thumbs Up 2

How about a crossover between Sonic the Hedgehog and Star Fox? After all, both franchises have animal-like characters. Also, Mobius (including the Sol Zone) could be part of the Lylat System. So why not, right? (^o^)

• 2 months later...

I like the sound of most of it. Though I feel like maaaaybe the dash shouldn't charge through enemies, since you already have a reliable dodge option in the quickstep so it might encourge skillful play a bit more if you had to evade enemies or time your homing attacks right to keep your momentum going.

Other than that it sounds great to me

Some of these ideas are really great. However something I feel that should really be taken into account is the level of complexity of some of these ideas. I think Sonic should remain relatively simplistic and easy to pick up and play. If we take a look at the genesis titles they're all super easy to get into, while still providing a challenge for more seasoned players. Part of say, Mario's success is how simple it is for anybody to get into and understand. Even with the boost games I've had guests come over and play them because they thought it looked fun, then they blast into walls or spikes without understanding what's going on, or without ever sliding under a small gap (luckily, the game does it for you. How ridiculous).

I'm not saying we should go back to the one button simplicity of the classics, but I think making the only core moves the Spin Dash, Jump, and Homing Attack would do a lot of good, and be very easy for newcomers to understand. I would however want to keep the drift to make sharp turns more manageable and to keep movement more smooth. 

Let's take a level like City Escape (ignoring the street board). At the start there are incredibly steep hills with sharp turns. If we were to take this hypothetical new Sonic game, imagine rolling down said hills to gain crazy speed. It'd be hard to turn without losing control so this is where the drift would come in handy. After going down a few steep inclines you could roll right into one of those ramps and gain tons and tons of height. 

I don't have many more ideas beyond that right now, but what I'm basically saying I think it'd be better to keep the games relatively simple, and let the level design do most of the work.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 year later...

I got some ideas too.

1. Gameplay

it would play like the Mario & Luigi games with some Paper Mario stuff thrown in, but here's a catch, even tho there's Experience Points (XP), and Magic Points (or Friend Points (FP) in this case) there's no Health Points, instead, you find rings in the overworld, and when battling, if an enemy hits you you'll lose those rings, therefore there's no Healing items, even the there are Ring Boost Items, in the overworld it controls like Sonic 3D Blast, except it's not slippery,  it also has some speed elements, like wiping out enemys on the overworld if your fast enough or even breaking to hard rock if you're fast enough, obviously having to roll to do both things, great for those who don't wanna fight enemys, even tho you won't gain experience, there's also invencibility monitors, (3 exactly, 1 needing 100 rings to even use it) that allows you to also wipe out enemys on the overworld except that if you hit 8 or more in a row, you'll level Up easier, it's for those who hate grinding in tradicional RPG's, there's also some platforming, and in beetween chapters, you'll play a half duration chapter where you play as Amy Rose, this time there's less speed, and finally, there's a chao garden, where you can not only raise chao, but you can also bring the chao wich practicly replaces the badge system.

2. Story:

Sonic & Tails:

In resume, 10,000 Years ago there was a war, wich lasted a looong time until a cientist tired of seen people fighting concentrates the little friendship there was into a stone, then tricked the kingdom and after using it as power supply, a big explotion happened and the war suddenly came over, then Dr Owl learned about it, found it and used it however after failing to do so, he and the stone get teleported to mobius, later Eggman finds about it, Sonic & Tails eat some chilli dog but then suddenly every animal was fighting each other, Sonic went to see Eggman and fight him but then the Rock broke, and all the 8 shards landed in Coco Island, Sonic then goes there and meets Dr Owl, who wants the shards and has the help of a Dark Monster, while Eggman also wants the shards, Sonic must get the 8 Shards before Dr Eggman, Dr Owl or the Monster get them.

Amy & Cream:

Sonic goes to Coco Island Amy tries to find him but she can't, then she Calls Cream and finds out about Sonic being in Coco Island, then he goes there and his entire adventure is only about she trying to find Sonic before accidentally screwing up Something and fighting aganist a Monster Sonic already defeated.

3. Chao Garden

It actually works just like in SA2 but you can bring them to the main adventure so they give you powers, that's it.there are also some Animals & Power Rings you can give them so they grow up to give Sonic a specific power.

On 15/11/2010 at 8:29 PM, Clyde the Hedgehog said:

I hope someone from SEGA read this, and make this a reality,but if they do I got a feeling they won't add the Freedom Fighters.sad.gif

Maybe they did...  Well, probably not, but the resemblance between this pitch and Sonic Forces is almost uncanny.

I like @azoo's ideas a lot, especially Sonic: Shooting Star Saga.

I have an idea too, it's a bit complex and unfinished (very rough) but I'll try to sum it up. I haven't even decided if it's 2D or 3D.

Don't take it too much seriously, it's something that I have done just for fun, to spend some of my time, it probably sucks, I don't know, it's just a random concept.

I don't even have a title for it, but I'm going to make up a temporary title just now (probably a bland title).

Sonic Chaotic Quest

Basically, think about Kirby Super Star: that game has different sub-games (in-game episodes), each one with its own story and a different gameplay twist, but all those sub-games are part of a bigger story when connected together (some are unlocked from the start, others are unlocked after completing a different chapter).

Imagine this applied to Sonic. Why? Well, I had this idea some time ago, when I was playing a classic Sonic collection on DS. The games were similar each other enough that it felt like an unique game with different chapters, like Kirby Superstar.

This is partially the same structure as Sonic 3 & Knuckles, 2 separated games fused into one; I have thought that Sonic works better when a game can be completed in about 1 hour and half, and has tons of replay value... but since 1 hour and half is too short for modern gaming, instead of making a longer game, just make a game that's a compilation of 1 hour and half long sub-games.

Gameplay

I'm still working on that, but I'm going for something that has the gameplay and sense of speed of Sonic Advance 2/Advance series in general, and the level design of the classic Sonic games, with some original elements. I'm mostly thinking about a 2D gameplay, but it can be adapted to 3D as well; in that case it would still be as simple as possible, with no boost (boost mode from Advance 2 maybe, but not the boost from modern games), and some inspiration from the indie game Defunct (such as the indicator of the jump's trajectory that's awesome for fast paced precision platforming).

I have some sketches of control schemes and gameplay concepts, 1 stage concept, a gameplay concept for Sonic, some ideas for Cream and Knuckles, etc, but it's way too much for a forum post, and too much effort is required to digitalize it, so, sorry, at least for now.

Characters

The characters are separated in game modes, which are the sub-games, chapters, episodes, call them what you want. Now I'm listing all of them but you normally can't select all of them in each story, just a limited set.

• Sonic
  • Tails
  • Knuckles
  • Amy
  • Cream
  • Gmerl/Emerl
  • Shadow
  • Infinite
  • Classic Sonic (not canon, just a bonus character in the endgame)

Chapters and modes

Main chapters (unlocked from the start)

• The Plan of the Doctor
  • Chaos Guardians
  • Dark Illusions

Final chapter (unlocked after you complete all the main chapters - true endings not required)

• Egg Chaos Controller

Secret chapter (unlocked when you get all the true endings in every story, including the final chapter)

• Classic Strikes Back!

Bonus Mode (Unlocked when you complete the secret chapter)

• Arcade Mode

Bonus Mode (unlocked with the true ending of "The Plan of the Doctor")

• VS Mode

Bonus Mode (unlocked with the true ending of "Chaos Guardians")

• Tiny Chao Garden

Bonus Mode (unlocked with the regular ending of "Dark Illusion" - this chapter does not have a true ending)

• Sound Test

Chapters description

Spoiler

Each chapter has several save files and a no-save mode, so you can replay them any time you want.

The plan of the Doctor: 7 zones, 2 act each, 7 emeralds to collect through special stages (required for true ending), Super Sonic unlockable.

Characters: Sonic, Tails, Amy.

Story: Simple story with in-game cutscenes like Sonic 3; more emphasis on action than story, and stage transitions.

Sonic is carefree running along an highway placed in the middle of a grassy field. Suddenly, Eggman flies over him carrying a strange cage: the cage contains Amy, she got kidnapped somehow! Sonic chases Eggman to rescue her. After a while (1st zone end), Sonic meets Tails aboard the Tornado who was trying some experiments on it; Sonic tells Tails what happend and he joins Sonic. After meeting a mecha clone of Amy created by Eggman (2nd zone end), Sonic finally manages to find the doctor and rescues Amy from the cage (3rd zone end). After Amy is finally free, she's angry and decides to join Sonic and Tails in the adventure (all the characters are now playable, you can also replay the old levels with the new characters). At the end of the 5th zone, you meet a strange boss, a medium-size robot that resembles the Death Egg Robot a bit, but smaller (about twice and half tall as Sonic) that when defeated releases a chao (???); the heroes are surprised of that. The final zone is something like Scrap Brain, a technological base with lots of robots and stuff; when Eggman is defeated, he escapes with the egg mobile saying that it's not finished yet, that's just the beginning.

If you collect all the emeralds, you get a true ending: Tails finds some blueprints and prototypes of an invention that absorbs energy from the Master Emerald to fuel Eggman's robots. Sonic transforms into Super Sonic and chases Eggman on Angel Island, where a bossfight with Knuckles begins (Sonic and Knuckles fights on the altar of the Master Emerald, Knuckles uses the Master Emerald to stop Super Sonic and make him vulnerable, both Knuckles uses chaos powers during the fight thanks to the Master Emerald).

At the end of the fight, the two discover that Eggman, not only tricked Knuckles, but tricked Sonic as well, as making Sonic and Knuckles fight on the altar was part of his plan: when the two were busy fighting each other, Eggman kidnapped all the chao from Angel Island and stored them in cages similar to the one where Amy was; Eggman escapes with his fleet, Sonic & Tails chase him on the Tornado, Knuckles wants to follow them but a strange light calls him from inside the Master Emerald.

Levels:

Zone 1 - Paceful Highway Zone: A modern highway on a calm and bright grassy plain with sea in the background. There are hills and tunnels occasionally, metal bridges, modern windmills used as stage gimmicks; in Act 1 you can also find some construction sites, while in Act 2 you go across some harvest fields with water sprinklers (stage gimmicks) and water canals that makes you slide through the stage similar to Labyrinth's water slides; you can jump on cars and ride them similar to those moving platforms in Planet Wisp from Sonic Generations; the level layout vaguely resembles the one of Emerald Hill from Sonic 2.

The concept is incomplete, this is the only zone idea I have for this chapter.

Chaos Guardians: 7 zones, 2 act each, bonus stages instead of special stages, 5 hidden chao each level (get them all to unlock the true ending - there is a radar/hints).

Characters: Knuckles, Cream, Gmerl/Emerl.

Story: The story is still simple, but with some additional lore, longer cutscenes and more dialogues.

Knuckles is on the edge of Angel Island (1st zone), when he sees a bunch of Eggman's flying ships in the distance; the animals concerned and scared start to run/fly away. Knuckles goes to the altar of the emeralds, where he finds Eggman. After a boss fight, Eggman lies to Knuckles, he says that Sonic is coming to steal the Master Emerald to put it in a safe place where he (Eggman) can't reach it, but it's a trap, this way Angel Island would lose its defenses and Eggman would be able to obtain the secret power hidden in the depth of the ancient ruins, a lie that Eggman made up just to trick Knuckles.

There is now the equivalent of the true ending of the previous chapter, but as a cutscene; Super Sonic comes, Knuckles stops it with the power of the Master Emerald, the two fight a little, then Eggman reveals its true intent and runs away with the chao, proud by the fact that he tricked not just Knuckles, but also Sonic and especially Tails who claims to be clever.

The cutscene continues, after Sonic and friends go away aboard the Tornado, Knuckles follows the light on the altar, and it happens to be Tikal, calling Knuckles for help. Tikal says that the chao from around the world are in danger, she asks to protect them; Knuckles glides down from Angel Island, to the next zone.

At the end of the second zone you fight a similar boss to the one from the first chapter, that was powered by a chao. You destroy it, and Eggman's robots in the background escape with the cages like before, but this time the cages are empty. You find Cream in a corner, protecting all the chao, and close to them there is a robot, Gmerl (from Sonic Advance 3). after the mandatory "long time no see" scene, Cream tells Knuckles what happend:

Cream was in the warehouse searching for some seeds and tools to plant them; she was going to a Chao Garden, the chao like very much the fruits of those plants. Suddenly, some wooden boards fell, and something activated: it was Gmerl! It was out of energy for a while now, but for some reason it reactivated, and said something like "Error, unaccessible data, gizoid system aborted, chaos emerald needed". Gmerl reactivated itself with no memory of the past, and decided to follow Cream.

After this, Cream and Gmerl become playable. During the adventure, Knuckles and Cream act a bit like brother and sister, Knuckles occasionally makes fun of her, she is annoyed by that, but Knuckles tries to defend her when she's in danger; Gmerl is mostly a passive character.

The chapter continues with the 3 characters going to all the chao gardens  in each zone, stopping Eggman's robots from kidnapping the chao; each time, Tikal appears and they discuss about what's going on, discovering some secrets about chao, gizoids and stuff. Tikal knows that gizoids are dangerous ancient weapons, but she realizes that Gmerl is not like others, it can turn out to be useful, and friendly.

They talk about the fact that Gizoid are based on studies of chao made by the ancients, and both of them can copy abilities and moves from other creatures; Gmerl for some reason has lost this ability, but maybe giving him the emeralds he's asking for, he would awake that power... though it's dangerous, as if you charge the emeralds with negative emotions, something very bad would happen, this happend time ago with a chao (Perfect Chaos) and Gizoids have the same power.

At the end, Tikal says thanks to Cream for taking care of the chao, she realizes that Cream has a deep bond with the chao and asks her if she wants to become the protector of the chao, blessed with the power of the ancient echidnas, advising her to think about it because it's a big responsability. Cream accepts, Tikal gives Cheese the power to absorb the chaos energy and nullify it, a power that comes from the Master Emerald itself and that becomes stronger if more chao join the ritual; Tikal asks Cream and Knuckles to find all the remaining chao and bring them to the altar on Angel Island. In order to save the kidnapped chao (the ones from Angel Island) they need Gmerl at full power, but all the remaining chao from around the world are needed, so that if something goes wrong, Knuckles and Cream can nullify the chaos energy using the Master Emerald and new powers of Cheese.

If you collect all the chao hiddens in the levels, you unlock the true ending: Tikal, Cream and Knuckles do the ritual on the altar, surrounded by all the chao from the world. Gmerl gets the 7 chaos emeralds and activates them... after flashing in light, the emeralds are scattered far away (outside from Angel Island) and Gmerl transforms himself into Emerl: he now remembers everything, his heart and memory were stuck inside the emeralds, he's now back to help his friends; Emerl unlocked the ability to copy skills from other creatures, something that was unable to do as Gmerl.

Emerl is treated as Gmerl's super form, he turns back to Gmerl when he runs out of energy/rings (but his memory remains). The final boss is one ship from Eggman's fleet that transforms into a mech: the bossfight consists in Emerl flying through the sky, transporting Knuckles and Cream in two bubbles of energy similar to the final boss of Sonic Heroes. Gmerl can make a barrier to defend the characters, and makes them fly, Cream stuns the boss using the chao, while Knuckles attacks the weak point with a punch once the boss is stunned; chao automatically follow Cream during the bossfight, they slowly join her, at first she only has Cheese, then she gets more of them, when she has enough of them, she can perform the stun attack and block the boss; the more chao are involved in the attack, the longer the boss stays stunned. After a stun attack, all the chao are left behind exhausted and you need to wait again to have enough of them for the next attack.

Once destroyed, all the chao from Angel Island are free and they return back to their home. There is a cliffhanger of a mysterious robot that comes back to the chao gardens and kidnaps the chao by sucking them similar to what happens to Vanilla at the end of Sonic Advance 2... at the end it also sucks the Master Emerald and the sky becomes dark, with lightnings.

Levels:

Zone 1 - Angel Island Zone: Similar to Sonic 3, with more ruins and cave sections (inspired by Hidden Palace)

Zone 2 - Shiny Bay Zone: Seaside cliff with caves and ruins, coral reefs and stuff... think of Noki Bay from Super Mario Sunshine, something like that, but Sonic.

Zone 3 - Puzzle Forest Zone: A forest with illusory effects made by light, prespective, shadows and colors. There are traps made of ropes and wooden gimmicks.

Zone 4 - Extreme Peak Zone: Mountain zone, pits, clouds, snow, ice and rocks. It's not a snow zone, there are some ice and snow sections but the zone is mostly about rocks.

Zone 5 - Blue Oasis Zone: A desert with palms and some water, obstacles based on heat and spikes, cactus, and some parts of the levels may change as you get closer to them because are mirages.

Zone 6 - Midtown Parade Zone: Placed in the streets of a metropolis similar to Empire City or Station Square, in the middle of a carnival, with parade cars, music, and gimmicks based around this theme.

Zone 7 - Spooky Citadel Zone: Halloween themed zone, similar to Pumpkin Hill, placed inside a cursed medieval town during night.

Dark Illusions: 7 zones, 2 act each, no bosses except for a final battle vs Infinite. Warning: edgy chapter.

Characters: Shadow only (Infinite is not playable in this mode).

Story: Shadow goes lonely around the city, when he's suddenly attacked by someone. Shadow manages to dodge the hit, then he realizes that the mysterious person is Infinite.

He's back for revenge, he's not with Eggman anymore, he just wants to defeat Shadow to demonstrate that he's the strongest, he wants to humiliate Shadow for what he has done to him and his squad in the past. There is not much story in this chapter, just a long battle between the two characters... shadow goes through the levels, while Infinite makes something surreal to happen, may it be altering the terrain, creating some horrible creatures, changing gravity, etc.

Most zones have dark environments, everything is edgy.

The story ends when Shadow defeats Infinite again. The 2 characters are both exhausted, when they see the dark sky in the background, that thing from the cliffhanger in the previous chapter.

Shadow tries to convince Infinite to stop fighting, telling him that this time he became a worty rival, and fighting any futher is pointless, since they're almost equally powerful and this fight would have no winner, just an useless waste of energy.

Infinite tries to hide it, but he's actually proud that Shadow called him a worty rival, the same person who called him weak time ago. Infinite then decides to run away, without saying a word, both because he reached his objective, and because he's also concerned for that thing in the sky.

Both Shadow and Infinite run toward the dark clouds and this is the end of the chapter, each one on their own (not together, obviously).

Egg Chaos Controller: 7 zones, 2 act each, + final level (1 act + final boss).

Charcters: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Cream, Gmerl/Emerl, Shadow, Infinite (Sonic must be used for the final level, can't be used in the other levels; in other levels, you can select the character you want, but when you complete the zone, you can't use that character again for any other zone; you can replay the zone again but only with the same character used to complete it the first time; if you lose a life, you can change your character and restart, the character gets locked only when you complete the zone succesfully; you can select the zones in the order you want, the goal is to complete each zone with a different character, then send Sonic to the final level - you must start a new file or use the no-save mode if you want to change the combination of characters used).

Story: Sonic, Tails & Amy discovered Eggman's plan and they tell it to everyone else. Eggman noticed that the chao can absorb the chaos energy and produce an incredible amount of power, so he decided to make a chao-powered robot enhanced by the power of the Master Emerald. This is dangerous, because if the chao are charged with the negative energy of the chaos emeralds, they may lose control and mutate into terrible monsters, but Eggman doesn't seem to care, it instead seems to be his goal.

Tails searches for the chaos emeralds using a radar and his tablet, he finds them and shows a map to the other characters.

Eggman arrives laughing, saying that in 20 minutes his creation would be complete and he would conquer the world with it. Then Infinite and Shadow arrive as well, Infinite tries to attack Eggman because he mocked him calling him useless and a flawed creation, but he fails, the phantom ruby doesn't work against him.

Infinite is angry against Eggman, but he can't do anything and Eggman escapes.

The characters plan a strategy: the only way to stop Eggman is to get all the chaos emeralds, but 20 minutes are too few to get all of them, so the characters must split... Sonic would go into Eggman's base, while each other character would go after a different emerald... except that excluding Infinite, only 6 character can search for the emeralds and they are not enough.

Tails tries to convince Infinite, asking him to work for them as a mercenary, for money... Cream and Amy try to convince him in different ways... but he just gets more angry. Though at the end he seems to accept, he says that he will get the emerald, not because of some stupid "friends", but for a personal reason instead.

Once the characters bring all the emeralds to Sonic, he can finally transform into Super Sonic and fight the final boss (that's called Egg Chaos Controller).

After the fight, when you are trying to give him the final hit, something happens: Infinite flies over the arena and hits Sonic with the Phantom Ruby, making him return normal... then he uses the power of the emeralds to  reach a sort of super form and destroys the robot with 1 hit, then he tries to attack Sonic, when...

the destroyed robot releases both the Master Emerald and the trapped chao.

Shadow teleports himself near Sonic using a Chaos Control, then he creates a barrier to defend Sonic; in the meanwhile, Cream and Knuckles go close to Infinite and use their powers (Master Emerald and chaos nullify) to stun him and remove the chaos emeralds; Gmerl becomes Emerl again, using the emeralds, and blocks Infinite in a vulnerable status by using the power of the Phantom Ruby, copied from him thanks to his Gizoid powers. Tails and Amy cheer Sonic that this is his only chance, to give him the final hit.

The player comes back being in control of Sonic... you just need to do a spinjump on him, and he is defeated with 1 hit.

Infinite asks himself "why it must always end this way!?!?" in an obsessive way, everyone is happy, good ending, etc...

Eggman is shown to be trapped in some wastes with his damaged egg mobile after the explosion of the Egg Chaos Controller.

Classic Strikes Back!: 5 zones, 1 act each, boss at the end of each act (you can't save!), countdown with time-up, time extended at the end of each act.

Characters: Classic Sonic

Story: No story at all, just a generic Sonic vs Eggman arcade game. There is a leaderboard at the end that saves your best times. Zones have only 1 act but they are slighty longer than regular acts.

Bonus modes description

Arcade mode: play every level of the game with every characters as you want (including Infinite and Classic Sonic), with a leaderboard for record times in each level.

VS mode: Similar to the competitive mode in the classic Sonic games, there are 10 short levels that loop and you must run for a certain amount of laps on them. Every character except Classic Sonic is avaliable, the zones are based on other zones that appear in the game.

Tiny Chao Garden: Similar to the Tiny Chao Garden from the GBA games, but supports more chao, hero & dark, more minigames including chao race and karate, and more. You play as Cream, and you can spend the money you collected during the game to buy stuff.

Sound Test: as usual, except that tracks from unfinished chapters are unlocked later, when you finish them.

I hope you like this... as I said, this is nothing serious, just something made for fun, it probably suck, but I wanted to share for the sake of contributing to the thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an idea I had for a long time

Name: I'll think of one later

Gameplay

The gameplay will be like the classic titles in 2D, Sonic will have all of his Sonic Mania abilites, Tails and Knuckles will be as they are in Sonic Mania. Each Zone will have 2 acts with the exception of 3 Zones (See my posts on the Zone Idea topic by Poponic)

Story

Sometime after Knuckles' story on Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Robotnik decides to retreat to his old base at Scrap Brain Zone, when he discovers an old file he has not yet been opened, he then discovers prototypes for the Death Egg and a top secret weapon that he hasn't even worked on, "Muhahahah" said Robotnik "With this weapon I can rule over this world, with a few modifications I'll be unstoppable.", however the fat doctor then realises that in order to power this weapon, he needs something as powerful, if not more powerful than the Chaos Emeralds, suddenly one of Robotnik's scouts discovers an island far away from South Island, Westside Island and Angel Island, the island was called Great Island, and within the island lies an extremely powerful gemstone call the Grand Crystal, a gemstone that guards the 7 Chaos Crystals, with this power Robotnik can power this weapon of his and turn it into the Supernova Station, a weapon that can create powerful vortexs and black holes, strong enough to turn the planet into his ultimate empire, but he needs help so he contacts Nack the Weasel in case Sonic tries to stop him, and to retrive the Chaos Crystals as well as the Chaos Emeralds. Word spread quickly as Sonic was napping nearby when Tails tells him about Robotnik's new plan, with no time to waste Sonic, Tails and new friend Knuckles board the Tornado, off to Great Island to stop Robotnik and his ultimate weapon, the Supernova Station before it is too late.

Sonic Mania: Infinite Strikes Back.

The game opens with Eggman finding the Ruby again, and deciding to make another Heavy Fleet plot. Suddenly, he breaks it, releasing... INFINITE! Will Classic Sonic and company be able to topple him and his army of Hard-Boiled Heavies from taking over both worlds, and beyond? 

Levels are taken from various obscure Sonic games from the classic era, as well as a number of new ones, and all five levels from Mania. Near the end, Modern Sonic appears, reminding Classic he had to go to his world in the past to undo the carnage Infinite reins down upon the world. He goes back to the Death Egg and disengages it’s systems and frees the prisoners before the tragic incident can occur, saving his world from Infinite's wrath.

All right, time to make a post that isn't just a sentence or me having gone mad due to a certain someone's art we all aren't to big of a fan of.

Here's what I would consider my dream Sonic game/Sonic fangame I'd probably create:

Name: Sonic: Other Worlds

Basic Gist: The idea of the game is that the game would be split into 3 "Stories", a lot like the Adventure games. Each story would take place in an alternate version of Sonic's World, all varying heavily from our normal Sonic. Each Story, however, would play like the classics of Sonic 1, 2, 3&K, and CD. Lemme do a basic rundown on the stories and how they all work.

Story 1: Hedgehog of the Little World
In this story, Sonic resides on Little Planet within its' past. He is happily napping under one of those weird fern things in Palmtree Panic when a mysterious light wakes him up. He goes to investigate and finds an odd round man in red with a bunch of robots following him. The odd red man, upon noticing the "blue native/intruder", sends out a robot to deal with him. Sonic quickly smashes the robot, then watches the strange fellow he would later know as Eggman run off. Sonic, getting an idea that this guy is no good, speeds after him.

Eggman's Goal: Obtain resources such as sturdy wood, pure water, and fresh edible plants and animals from the Little Planet when it was most plentiful in said resources to sell to those who can afford it back in his own time. You see, this Eggman hails from a polluted future where these resources go for a fortune. Back home, all you would get is wood from dead trees, disgusting sewer water, and wilted plants and rotting animal carcasses. His secondary goal is to harvest any oil or such things for the planet so his homeworld's factories can keep on running.

Sonic's Moves: All of his moves he had in Sonic CD. Spin Dash (Sonic 2 Style), Super Peel-Out, all that.

Special Stage for this Story: You have to do battle with a golem like entity to retrieve a Time Stone, basically.

Spoiler

If you obtain all the Time Stones, you can open up a portal to Eggman's polluted home future, and face him in a true final battle.

Zones:
1. Palmtree Panic
2. Collision Chaos
3. Tidal Tempest

From Tidal Tempest, the path splits into two with one following CD's line of Zones, and the other being "unexplored areas"...

4a. Quartz Quadrant
4b. Mercury Mines (named after that hoax beta level): A mixture of underground mines and chemical factory.
5a. Wacky Workbench
5b. Jade Jungle: Crystallized jungle area.
6a. Stardust Speedway
6b. Chaotic Courtyard: Big fancy courtyard with a statue of Metal Sonic.

The pathways reconnect for the final stage...

7. Metallic Madness

Spoiler

8. Desolate Base: Eggman's base back in his home time. You get to beat him in some sort of "proto-Egg Dragoon".

I'll probably give a good explaining of the other two stories soon. I'd probably keep writing until midnight if I kept going now...