Awoo.

Sonic Game Ideas Thread!

Hiki

On 4/26/2016 at 4:07 AM, azoo said:

Sonic: Shooting Star Saga

Gameplay:

f578314da6dc4fb729f0eebbe56e32df.png

Imagine Sonic Adventure. Now imagine it controlling better, with moves spread across the face buttons instead of shoved onto one. Also imagine rolling being a much more prominent action in the game than it was, thus making it rather feel like a classic Sonic game but in 3D and with a couple more moves than usual. You're welcome!

Story:

As demonstrated in this comic, for layman reasons, and also because it's 3:30 am.

c73398928633a19bb0bd7ae2acfe0e24.pngbabd55c8b131427a7a550fee7452753e.png

Panel 1: Sonic and Tails go to a cool vacation spot where people stay and it's cool. Also Eggman isn't there surprisingly.

Panel 2: Tails explains it's called Comet Island, and that the origin story behind it is that once a great comet slammed into one end of it, knocking tiny bits and pieces of it all across the island.

Panel 3: Sonic is glad Eggman isn't around to hear that.

Panel 4: PSYCHE Eggman was TOTALLY around to hear that.

Panel 5: Eggman has all the info Tails had, which matches his manuscripts he found, which also told him that this comet holds enormous amounts of power in it's core, so he then proceeds to go do bad shit by heading towards the capital of the island and digging into it's crater for it.

Panel 6: Sonic & Tails don't sit there and joke like this is a Pontac and Graff game, and instead they actually go do something about it.

End scene, begin game. We good? We good.

What Makes This Game Special:

Alright, look, so there are two basic objectives of the game -
1 ) get from one end of the island to the other, where Eggman has made base in the capital (basic ending)
2 ) get all the Shooting Star Shards, which (as legend states) will restore the comet into an incorruptable diamond when brought to it (good ending)

Here's how objective 1 works, because it's actually pretty different from your average Sonic game.

a21c448dcacd784d79eeb4d16f1fa81a.png

In Sonic: Shooting Star Saga (or S:SSS Squad), the game is laid out in these huge sprawling stages that are built like big speedy platforming playgrounds. Imagine a stage that feels somewhere inbetween Tony Hawk levels and Mario 64 / Sunshine maps (but like 3 times bigger since you're fast), where you're given lots of room to move around and explore, but also a lot of objects and slopes that can be used to build up speed and flow around these massive environments.

Now don't get me wrong, though, because this doesn't mean they're aimless. The idea of the game is still to move as far forward as you can of course; your goal is to get to the other end of the island. There are two reasons it's so open, however: 1 ) something I'll get to in a little bit, and 2 ) because of alternate pathways, where the stages take huge diversions into their own subtropes, which then attach to different stages depending on where you went.

After you find the main pathways that lead towards other stages, the levels get more linear and focused on the direction you're heading, and eventually lead to either a cutscene or a boss machine (likely both) as transition into the next zone. Now here's the fun part to this: as you may have remembered, you have the choice to go multiple different directions in each stage, which means you can carve out routes like this:

f60128f10edac40ce97c2e10e37d1b0a.png

You can move around and weave your own path exactly the way you want on the way up there, as long as you have the skill to make it on some certain paths (as how Sonic gameplay goes, of course). Every route leads to about 5 zones in total for any run from start to finish, where the route you take is up to your Sonic skills and eye for exploration.

Okay now that's out of the way, I can talk about that first pointer as to why the stages are big. As you may remember, the comet kinda sprinkled it's magic fairy dust shards all over the island a long time ago. Well, to get the good ending of the game, you have to do exactly what you think I'm gonna say, and find all of those shards.

df1db0374352999def127f3ed82906ef.png

This is what the Great Comet looks like, and those are what the Shooting Shards look like. If you're thinking "man this is just some ripoff of Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards", then shit dude you're right. But look, I have my fun!

The general idea is that Eggman's going after the Great Comet (top) and you must collect these legendary Shooting Shards (shown in the middle). There's about ten per zone, and when you get them all for said zone they combine like the Master Emerald shards do into one big single color shard. There's also at least eight of these (one for each zone minus the last level). That's right, not seven. Gotcha! And when you get them all, you take them to the final level, throw them on the comet, and then the comet is turned into it's original form and is thus impenetrable... or is it?

Never mind that. Anyways, you may be wondering how you collect these things. Well, the answer is simple, my friend.

You either find them sprawled along the stages, or you get them in missions.

Case one, you'll find them sprawled around places as pretty much congratulatory reward for exploring in every nook and cranny, so you'd make sure as the player to explore these big environments as much as possible. Heck, maybe there'll be some hidden in plain sight, but you must say, gain enough speed using a big downhill area or slope or some object to reach it. Sonic games, my friends, Sonic games.

The other method is through missions. Remember, this is a big resort vacation getaway theme park land. There could be people willing to give you missions that'll give you one of those shards in return. Heck, it may even sometimes be a character you know from another Sonic game. (This is the part where you imagine Amy or Knuckles or Vector or Blaze somehow finding excuses to be on the island).

This is all neat, but there's one problem Mr Azoo:

Yes, I know. I know you know, and it's a huge problem.

"If I have to explore all of these stages so much, isn't it going to be tedious having to start from the beginning of each of them?"

Yeah definitely. That'd be a total chore. Which is WHY I decided to use an idea from a not-so-great game (Shadow the Hedgehog) and use it for the purposes of what's right and good.

Introducing (actually probably already introduced since I've shared these concepts more than once before)... checkpoint warp pads!

576e4e884dc9a11d9d3028074f8bda30.png

The concept is simple: every time you come across a checkpoint, you not only come back to it after you die, you can teleport to any other checkpoints you've already passed! In other words, we've went from tedious travel to fast travel, for the people who don't feel like pulling a Tony Hawk's American Wasteland and having to go through 8 different skateparks and California towns just to get back to Los Angeles.

And yeah that's all I got. Yay?

Wow. This is very very similar to something i came up with not too long ago, though with some interesting differences on your end I hadn't thought of and i actually like better. I don't want to exaggerate here, but the basic sturcture of this idea is where I strongly believe sonic needs to head as a 3D franchise. I really wish there was something, ANYTHING I could do to help you put this idea out there (if you happened to feel as strongly as I do. Hey do you wanna have dinner someti--, er oops sorry, fangasm).

But in complete seriousness, I strongly believe in this kind of idea for sonic as a foundation for the 3D games. Much more so than anything we've seen from the franchise, even over a direct port of the classic 2Dgameplay (which for numerous obvious reasons wont work in 3D).

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/26/2016 at 2:07 AM, azoo said:

Sonic: Shooting Star Saga

Gameplay:

f578314da6dc4fb729f0eebbe56e32df.png

Imagine Sonic Adventure. Now imagine it controlling better, with moves spread across the face buttons instead of shoved onto one. Also imagine rolling being a much more prominent action in the game than it was, thus making it rather feel like a classic Sonic game but in 3D and with a couple more moves than usual. You're welcome!

Story:

As demonstrated in this comic, for layman reasons, and also because it's 3:30 am.

c73398928633a19bb0bd7ae2acfe0e24.pngbabd55c8b131427a7a550fee7452753e.png

Panel 1: Sonic and Tails go to a cool vacation spot where people stay and it's cool. Also Eggman isn't there surprisingly.

Panel 2: Tails explains it's called Comet Island, and that the origin story behind it is that once a great comet slammed into one end of it, knocking tiny bits and pieces of it all across the island.

Panel 3: Sonic is glad Eggman isn't around to hear that.

Panel 4: PSYCHE Eggman was TOTALLY around to hear that.

Panel 5: Eggman has all the info Tails had, which matches his manuscripts he found, which also told him that this comet holds enormous amounts of power in it's core, so he then proceeds to go do bad shit by heading towards the capital of the island and digging into it's crater for it.

Panel 6: Sonic & Tails don't sit there and joke like this is a Pontac and Graff game, and instead they actually go do something about it.

End scene, begin game. We good? We good.

What Makes This Game Special:

Alright, look, so there are two basic objectives of the game -
1 ) get from one end of the island to the other, where Eggman has made base in the capital (basic ending)
2 ) get all the Shooting Star Shards, which (as legend states) will restore the comet into an incorruptable diamond when brought to it (good ending)

Here's how objective 1 works, because it's actually pretty different from your average Sonic game.

a21c448dcacd784d79eeb4d16f1fa81a.png

In Sonic: Shooting Star Saga (or S:SSS Squad), the game is laid out in these huge sprawling stages that are built like big speedy platforming playgrounds. Imagine a stage that feels somewhere inbetween Tony Hawk levels and Mario 64 / Sunshine maps (but like 3 times bigger since you're fast), where you're given lots of room to move around and explore, but also a lot of objects and slopes that can be used to build up speed and flow around these massive environments.

Now don't get me wrong, though, because this doesn't mean they're aimless. The idea of the game is still to move as far forward as you can of course; your goal is to get to the other end of the island. There are two reasons it's so open, however: 1 ) something I'll get to in a little bit, and 2 ) because of alternate pathways, where the stages take huge diversions into their own subtropes, which then attach to different stages depending on where you went.

After you find the main pathways that lead towards other stages, the levels get more linear and focused on the direction you're heading, and eventually lead to either a cutscene or a boss machine (likely both) as transition into the next zone. Now here's the fun part to this: as you may have remembered, you have the choice to go multiple different directions in each stage, which means you can carve out routes like this:

f60128f10edac40ce97c2e10e37d1b0a.png

You can move around and weave your own path exactly the way you want on the way up there, as long as you have the skill to make it on some certain paths (as how Sonic gameplay goes, of course). Every route leads to about 5 zones in total for any run from start to finish, where the route you take is up to your Sonic skills and eye for exploration.

Okay now that's out of the way, I can talk about that first pointer as to why the stages are big. As you may remember, the comet kinda sprinkled it's magic fairy dust shards all over the island a long time ago. Well, to get the good ending of the game, you have to do exactly what you think I'm gonna say, and find all of those shards.

df1db0374352999def127f3ed82906ef.png

This is what the Great Comet looks like, and those are what the Shooting Shards look like. If you're thinking "man this is just some ripoff of Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards", then shit dude you're right. But look, I have my fun!

The general idea is that Eggman's going after the Great Comet (top) and you must collect these legendary Shooting Shards (shown in the middle). There's about ten per zone, and when you get them all for said zone they combine like the Master Emerald shards do into one big single color shard. There's also at least eight of these (one for each zone minus the last level). That's right, not seven. Gotcha! And when you get them all, you take them to the final level, throw them on the comet, and then the comet is turned into it's original form and is thus impenetrable... or is it?

Never mind that. Anyways, you may be wondering how you collect these things. Well, the answer is simple, my friend.

You either find them sprawled along the stages, or you get them in missions.

Case one, you'll find them sprawled around places as pretty much congratulatory reward for exploring in every nook and cranny, so you'd make sure as the player to explore these big environments as much as possible. Heck, maybe there'll be some hidden in plain sight, but you must say, gain enough speed using a big downhill area or slope or some object to reach it. Sonic games, my friends, Sonic games.

The other method is through missions. Remember, this is a big resort vacation getaway theme park land. There could be people willing to give you missions that'll give you one of those shards in return. Heck, it may even sometimes be a character you know from another Sonic game. (This is the part where you imagine Amy or Knuckles or Vector or Blaze somehow finding excuses to be on the island).

This is all neat, but there's one problem Mr Azoo:

Yes, I know. I know you know, and it's a huge problem.

"If I have to explore all of these stages so much, isn't it going to be tedious having to start from the beginning of each of them?"

Yeah definitely. That'd be a total chore. Which is WHY I decided to use an idea from a not-so-great game (Shadow the Hedgehog) and use it for the purposes of what's right and good.

Introducing (actually probably already introduced since I've shared these concepts more than once before)... checkpoint warp pads!

576e4e884dc9a11d9d3028074f8bda30.png

The concept is simple: every time you come across a checkpoint, you not only come back to it after you die, you can teleport to any other checkpoints you've already passed! In other words, we've went from tedious travel to fast travel, for the people who don't feel like pulling a Tony Hawk's American Wasteland and having to go through 8 different skateparks and California towns just to get back to Los Angeles.

Story suggestions: 

* The Echidnas were involved with the comet somehow. Maybe they saw it as the onset of a god. Regardless, their relics sometimes focused on it. 

* Gerald also saw it, so to Eggman the link is sentimental rather than sheer power. 

* The Sol Dimension is also involved. Maybe the meteor actually comes from there.

* Some of the quest givers might open up a can of worms, but one can we SHOULD open is that where the Babylon Rogues, Rouge, etc, go after the shards because they’re pretty. Would provide some more conflict and even mini-boss opportunities. 

* A midway plot twist would be a nice add-on. Probably relying on, as mentioned, the Sol Dimension or Echidnas, or even an entity sealed within. We haven’t had those in a long time. Maybe, it’s only one of seven total comets? Regardless, the game becomes more dramatic halfway through, and even more dramatic at the climax, and let’s not even get into the postgame in terms of drama and grit. In fact, think Eversion (though not gory) rather than any “dark” Nintendo game. It becomes a typical adventure game in tone eventually. Shock ‘me more than Ninty ever did! 

* Maybe a concealed villain introduced near the start as somewhat helpful, with the twist being that this concealed bad guy isn’t even the main bad guy? 

On 4/9/2018 at 7:58 PM, Asin Korber said:

All right, time to make a post that isn't just a sentence or me having gone mad due to a certain someone's art we all aren't to big of a fan of.

Here's what I would consider my dream Sonic game/Sonic fangame I'd probably create:

Name: Sonic: Other Worlds

Basic Gist: The idea of the game is that the game would be split into 3 "Stories", a lot like the Adventure games. Each story would take place in an alternate version of Sonic's World, all varying heavily from our normal Sonic. Each Story, however, would play like the classics of Sonic 1, 2, 3&K, and CD. Lemme do a basic rundown on the stories and how they all work.

Story 1: Hedgehog of the Little World
In this story, Sonic resides on Little Planet within its' past. He is happily napping under one of those weird fern things in Palmtree Panic when a mysterious light wakes him up. He goes to investigate and finds an odd round man in red with a bunch of robots following him. The odd red man, upon noticing the "blue native/intruder", sends out a robot to deal with him. Sonic quickly smashes the robot, then watches the strange fellow he would later know as Eggman run off. Sonic, getting an idea that this guy is no good, speeds after him.

Eggman's Goal: Obtain resources such as sturdy wood, pure water, and fresh edible plants and animals from the Little Planet when it was most plentiful in said resources to sell to those who can afford it back in his own time. You see, this Eggman hails from a polluted future where these resources go for a fortune. Back home, all you would get is wood from dead trees, disgusting sewer water, and wilted plants and rotting animal carcasses. His secondary goal is to harvest any oil or such things for the planet so his homeworld's factories can keep on running.

Sonic's Moves: All of his moves he had in Sonic CD. Spin Dash (Sonic 2 Style), Super Peel-Out, all that.

Special Stage for this Story: You have to do battle with a golem like entity to retrieve a Time Stone, basically.

Reveal hidden contents

If you obtain all the Time Stones, you can open up a portal to Eggman's polluted home future, and face him in a true final battle.

Zones:
1. Palmtree Panic
2. Collision Chaos
3. Tidal Tempest

From Tidal Tempest, the path splits into two with one following CD's line of Zones, and the other being "unexplored areas"...

4a. Quartz Quadrant
4b. Mercury Mines (named after that hoax beta level): A mixture of underground mines and chemical factory.
5a. Wacky Workbench
5b. Jade Jungle: Crystallized jungle area.
6a. Stardust Speedway
6b. Chaotic Courtyard: Big fancy courtyard with a statue of Metal Sonic.

The pathways reconnect for the final stage...

7. Metallic Madness

Reveal hidden contents

8. Desolate Base: Eggman's base back in his home time. You get to beat him in some sort of "proto-Egg Dragoon".

I'll probably give a good explaining of the other two stories soon. I'd probably keep writing until midnight if I kept going now...

I suggest maybe having Relic Ruin and Desert Dazzle before Colision Chaos, or at least include nods to them. And now i’m awful curious about the other two stories. 

I also had had an idea for a Sonic collectahon called Sonic Scramble. It’d be a plot not involving Eggman for once (though he may be a minor stage boss), but rather has Sonic travel on a scavenger hunt led by a mysterious new villain who is a parody of Mario. Mina Mongoose also appears as a hub character and later playable. 

On 4/23/2016 at 6:31 PM, Sonikku. said:

a orginal 3D Sonic game with the genesis gameplay

On 4/23/2016 at 6:38 PM, Ernest-Panda said:

Basically a Sonic equivilent of the New Super Mario Bros games.

Oh, so Sonic 4.

On 4/26/2016 at 5:07 PM, azoo said:

concept is simple: every time you come across a checkpoint, you not only come back to it after you die, you can teleport to any other checkpoints you've already passed! In other words, we've went from tedious travel to fast travel, for the people who don't feel like pulling a Tony Hawk's American Wasteland and having to go through 8 different skateparks and California towns just to get back to Los Angeles.

So basically, Diablo 2 waypoints?  Awesome.

A sequel to Sonic Battle,  that is also a (spiritual) successor to Forces. Storywise that is. 

Gameplay:

Still has 4 characters, but can now do 1v1,  1v1v2,  1v2,  2v2,  3v1,  and FFA. Special attacks still take from Battle, but you can now choose 2 of the same type(e.g. both Ground and Air Shot skills),  but leaves you to be vulnerable to a skill type that you didn't select Defend for(e.g. setting Power as Defend, leaving you vulnerable to Trap attacks without having your own). This game will now introduce a new skill: the ultimate.

Similar to how specials operate in Smash or Def Jam,  you trigger it,  then grab an opponent to do the deed. You have a meter to fill up to unleash such move,  replacing the one hit KO effect. Still retains the respawn method from Battle.

Arenas:

Full 3d.  Slightly smaller than the arenas for JJBA: Eyes of Heaven. 

Video for reference.

Every arena has its hazards,  like spiketraps,  bottomless pits,  weapons, and even seemingly innocent bystanders.

*Arena List:

Amy's Room

Penthouse Pink

Night Babylon

Club Rouge

GUN Prison Grounds

Emerald Altar

Sky Sanctuary

Launch Base(defunct)

Wave Ocean

Chaotix Office

Resistance HQ

Chemical Plant

Egg Bridge(Death Egg) 

Egg Hangar(Death Egg) 

All have unique themes,  however, if anyone activates their ult, the music is overridden to suit them,  returning if the deed was done or the aura fizzed out. 

Characters:

Sonic,  Tails,  Knuckles, Shadow, Silver,  Amy,  Rouge, Blaze.... 

Screw it, everyone from 06 plus a few people like.... 

Vector, Espio, Charmy,  Cream,  Jet,  Wave,  Storm. And maybe also Red the Wolf aka Gadget. 

Will post about the story at a later time.

• Fist Bump 1

Story:

An unidentified entity announces a fighting tournament, with the Chaos Emeralds as the grand prize. Trials had been placed around the world. Sonic,  suspecting another Eggman plot in action, goes to join in,  and Amy and Knuckles plan a recruitment drive.  This is where your character comes in.  Amy opens a computer (similar to Forces), and the customization begins. 

You fight Vector in the tutorial match,  explaining the basics to you. Amy,  Knuckles, and Silver watch you closely. Team Dark watches also,  further behind,  taking notes on you. When you finish the match,  Vector applauds your work,  while Amy and Silver formally announce you to be a part of the fighter roster. 

Upon approaching the quarters,  a familiar face greets you: Red the Wolf aka Gadget, who is busy stretching, preparing for a sparring match.  You chat,  and the actual story mode begins. 

STORY:

Sonic and co. split into teams to ensure the Eggman Empire never has a huge advantage over our heroes. Sonic teams up with Tails and Amy,  along with Silver.  Knuckles goes with the Chaotix in a separate route. Team Dark, meanwhile, handles the behind the scenes fights. Not all fights in this, however,  are within the tournament. Arguments will break out, causing the characters to fight each other. Like Fighters, there is a chance that friends will fight against each other.

The mid-story plot twist happens when your fighter exits  the venue after another win, being ambushed by Infinite and his jackal cronies,  now brainwashed/subservient to him and Eggman. You survive,  but Infinite pulls his Za Warudo sh*t and he slices a slit in your temple big enough to insert the Obedience Chip,  a chip that can detonate on command. Eggman then issues orders to retake the arenas already taken by the protagonists. Arguments flare as whether you are still to be trusted or to be counted as an enemy. Team Dark,  and almost the rest of the cast are of the opinion that you should be expelled and be treated like an enemy. The only ones who believe your innocence,  which BTW,  you cannot shout of,  are Cream,  Silver,  and Sonic. Tails only sides with Sonic because he is his friends,  but he has his doubts. Shadow,  with the help of Team Dark,  find out what actually happened to you,  with the help of Chaotix. You fight several robos  both as Team Dark and Team Chaotix characters. Sonic's group and Knuckles, however,  go on with the tournament. After Sonic winning it all,  he and Tails are ambushed by you and Infinite. Sonic tries to convince you that you're not you,  while Infinite rambles on how he can crush you(as Sonic w/ Tails), even with quarter of the Phantom Ruby's power. The battle ensues,  and your character is conked out after the fight,  giving Tails enough time to activate his EMP device,  frying the chip.

Sonic and Tails rush you to the infirmary, while Team Dark and Chaotix rush to tell the tale,  only for them,  along with a waiting Cream,  Amy, Knuckles, and Silver,  to be shocked at the sight of your body. They hooked you up when you wake up,  surprised, then later ashamed. Shadow scoffs at you,  then chides at you to be careful. As the heroes chill out,  another tournament is announced, being a come one,  come all deal,  against a single fearsome opponent, who you reveal to be Infinite. The triple S agree to go to face him. You fight him seperately(Sonic, Silver,  Shadow), only for their efforts to be obliterated when Infinite goes ape sh** and unleashes the full 110% of the Ruby,  warping the place into Null Space,  where the final battle begins,  first with normal forms,  then they summon the power of the Chaos Emeralds to go super.

Then,  happy ending. Infinite lays on the floor,  absolutely broken after exhausting both the Ruby and himself. Triple S, upon hearing Eggman's voice,  rushes to his base,  and gets caught unawares. 

Edited by jgcatindig

• 5 months later...

My idea is called Project Hedgehog. (Resembling my username ;3)

Basically, Sonic would go through a level to get to Eggman, then he finds Eggman, and his friends, Cream, Tails, Amy, the 3 members of Team Chaotix, Knuckles, Silver, and Shadow in capsules, all unconscious.

Eggman would have already collected 4 of the Chaos Emeralds, and he is soon to collect 2 more from Silver and Shadow, and eventually the one from Sonic. After the capsules of Silver and Shadow malfunction, Silver, Shadow, and Sonic escape, and Eggman uses the Chaos Emeralds and the souls of the remaining friends to upgrade the Phantom Ruby into the Phantom Ruby X. He uses this to trap the trio into a never-ending loop where they go backwards in time, throughout the years in which previous mainline Sonic games (with some acceptions) were released. Can the trio escape and stop Eggman before they become erased by the Phantom Ruby X forevermore?

Gameplay Ideas: You could choose before each stage (Acts not included) which Hedgehog you would want to be, until their erased to the point where Sonic is the only one left.

Another idea is that the remaining rings you have can be used as currency to unlock and upgrade the abilities that each character has, and they all have unique abilities. For example, Sonic has his Boost, which would be upgrade-able in 4 different ways. All abilities would have 4 upgrading routes, and you would be able to go through all of them.

Sonic: All his basic attacks from the games, including the Boost, Spin Dash, Wisps, etc. can be used. (That will include the Sword and Secret Rings from Sonic in the Black Knight and Sonic and the Secret Rings.) His primary focus, obviously, is speed. His "class" of sorts is only to tell the player what he prioritizes, and has nothing to do with the gameplay. More info would be revealed for that in the future.

Shadow: All of his basic skills would mainly base off of 2005's "Shadow the Hedgehog." cough cough This includes pulling out guns and shooting enemies... cough cough... His primary focus would be offense, and, like Sonic, would survive off of lives and rings. More info may be revealed about this in the future.

Silver: His basic abilities would base primarily off of 2006's dreaded "Sonic the Hedgehog", aka "Sonic '06."  This includes moving items (or enemies) in a small range (can be expanded) wherever you want, for a limited time. More ideas (very few I have as of this).

Game List (as of now) would include, in order, segments from;

"Sonic Forces (2017)", "Sonic: Lost World (2013)", "Sonic Colors (2010)", "Sonic Unleashed (2008)", "Sonic The Hedgehog (2006)", "Shadow the Hedgehog (2005)", "Sonic Heroes (2003)", "Sonic Adventure 2 (2001)", "Sonic Adventure (1998)", "Sonic 3D Blast (1996)", "Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (1994)", "Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (1992)", and "Sonic the Hedgehog (1991)". 

Like this idea? Want me to improve on it (I am expanding the concept in Google Docs right now!), then tell me!

• Nice Smile 1

5 minutes ago, GreatP. - ProjectHedgehog said:

Gameplay Ideas: You could choose before each stage (Acts not included) which Hedgehog you would want to be, until their erased to the point where Sonic is the only one left.

Another idea is that the remaining rings you have can be used as currency to unlock and upgrade the abilities that each character has, and they all have unique abilities.

...so what about the player who upgrades Silver first, and then loses him about a third of the way into the game?

Never thought about that. How about after the game ends you would be able to play as any of them in any level, and heck, unlock a special mode where you can choose between the hedgehog trio as well as other characters in a co-op battle mode? (I think the idea for this is already over complicated, but it could work lol)

1 minute ago, GreatP. - ProjectHedgehog said:

Never thought about that. How about after the game ends you would be able to play as any of them in any level, and heck, unlock a special mode where you can choose between the hedgehog trio as well as other characters in a co-op battle mode? (I think the idea for this is already over complicated, but it could work lol)

That's better than having Silver and Shadow locked to only a couple of levels, but there's still the problem that any rings that were spent on them are effectively wasted while they're gone, as compared to rings spent on Sonic, who is always available.

Been stewing an RTS idea for a while. Subverting the genre by trying to keep the unit sizes rather small, since Sonic doesn't exactly field an army; just rag tag resistance / freedom fighter groups on occasion.

Five man teams typically consisting of roles I'm defining as: Leader, MVP, Ranger, Solider, and Mechanic.

--------------------------------------------------

MVPs are usually your most durable and heavies hitting unit. The star players: Sonic, Shadow, Metal, Knuckles.

Leaders are your second most capable fighters, but have a duality to them as they can also handle the construction and maintenance duties typically expected of the mechanic class. So a question players get to ask in the moment is whether it's best for the leader to be assisting the war effort or building up the home front. Robotnik, Rouge, Sally and Vector come to mind.

Rangers and Solider are your standard combat units, not as impactful as MVPs or as versatile as leaders, but necessary all the same. Opposite sides of the same coin: ranged and melee attackers. Amy, Omega, Espio, any number of badniks (I'm fond of Egg Robos and Motobugs myself)

Mechanics (or Leaders) are necessary for Base construction. Many of them are certainly not useless in a fight, but that's not their primary concern. Tails, Cream, Charmy, Egg Pawns, Rotor.

Spy is a trait (rather then a character defining role) that means they do extra damage to enemy structures. Most of the freedom fighters, Rouge, Robotnik, Mighty and Espio are pretty good at that. (I mean... Mighty's no spy but are you going to tell him can't demolish a building?)

----------------------------------------------------

Personally Command and Conquer is my go to RTS; so I'd look to it as the basic model. Gather resources to build structures in the base. Whoever takes out a base's critical structure wins. I'd even reference classic Zones as tiles. Rings and Scrap metal being the main resources. Green Hill Zones are tiles rich in rings. Casino Night Zones have a 50/50 chance of either Rings or Scrap, Metropolis would be rich in just Scrap. IceCaps are rich in rings while offering a defense bonus to it's occupant.

To manage the small army size I'm thinking they could respawn after a significant time penalty. Provided the housing section of the base is still up.

Structures include:

The Base's HQ (the game's objective). (A Citadel for Robotnik, the Master Emerald Shrine for Knuckles and the Chaotix)

Bases.png.8be240dacd1a6900a1c4b535e77cb761.png

Barracks or Housing (Huts for Freedom Fighters, Factories for Robotnik, The Chaotix Detective Agency)

Lookouts or Turrets (Lets any character launch a ranged attack while stationed there)

Starposts (Converts rings into chaos energy, which eventually amounts to a chaos emerald, and sooner or later super form shenanigans)

Walls (Wooden for Freedom Fighters and Chaotix, Electric for Robotnik, Metal for Team Dark)

I also have: Tails Work Shop, the Death Egg, Power Plants/Water Wheels and Never Lake (as a unique tile) Sketched out here, but haven't sussed out what their purposes could be yet.

-------------------------

Teams:

Freedom FIghters: Sonic, Sally, Amy, Cream, Tails. (Reserve: Bunnie, Rotor, Antoine, Uncle Chuck, Big)

Chaotix: Knuckles, Vector, Mighty, Espio, Charmy.

Team Dark: Shadow, Rouge, Omega (When asked why they're only a three man team Shadow had this to say: "we're the coolest!". So I'm leaning towards Team Hard Mode were they're a little over-powered while under staffed). 

Eggman Empire: Metal, Robotnik, Motobug, Egg Robo, Egg Pawn. (Reserve: Buzz bomber, Tails Doll)

Wild Cards (Nack, Ray, Chaos, A whole hoard more I'll keep to myself).

That's about all I got so far.

• Fist Bump 1

Don't pop into this thread very often but kind of had a "huh?" moment while filtering through some old files of mine and found a game concept. Since it seems to be mostly intact why not share it here.

sonic_obe_logo.thumb.png.a45feadddea86d832139f99c93c32199.png

Concept Document

OBE is an in universe story set in a unique Sonic the Hedgehog setting. The story takes place after the end of the world caused by Doctor Eggman’s attempts to rebuild the world by reaching the Land of the Sky and capturing the Sky God. The narrative of the story follows Sonic, who has missed the end of the world thanks to the Sky God’s intervention, as he sets out with the aid of an aged and decrepit Silver using the Phantom Ruby to save those who have the means of preventing Eggman from accomplishing his goals.

The game is thusly divided into five main areas and one optional area

Area 1 – After World Island

This area serves as the tutorial area of the game as well as where Silver resides in his old age. The only stage present here is the optional tutorial stage. Beyond the tutorial level this area also serves as a general hub world connecting the other four areas and the optional area. Talking to Silver yields advice to the player or commentary on what is going on at the time in the game. This area can be accessed freely only if a certain side quest is accomplished in the second area.

Area 2 – Sky Island

This area serves as the first main story area of the game. The character in question who Sonic must rescue in this area is Tails who has the knowhow to disable Eggman’s machine which captures the Sky God. The time period is set long after humans and only remnants of manmade technology exist on this jungle island floating off the edge of the world in a sea of clouds. Eggman’s machines are barely functional and are led by a holographic Eggman who is projected from a central computer to carry out the mission of Tails’ eradication. Other enemies in this time include the Battle Cock Armada led by the technological genius of Doctor Fukurokov who has a personal grudge against Tails. Additional NPCs of importance include Zooey and Professor Chuck. NPCs with optional quests or can be unlocked for non-story play include Sticks the Badger and Mighty the Armadillo.

Area 3 – Sky City

This area serves as the second main story area of the game and where the player encounters Doctor Eggman for the first time. The character who Sonic must rescue in this area is Rosy who has the ability to hear the gods and locate the Sky God. The time period is the height of GUN’s influence and the Sky City is a bustling metropolis of technological marvels that rests high above the clouds. Eggman has made himself a staple of the city through Meteor Tech and his robots have seen some use though his bids on the capture of Rosy are not lost on GUN. Other enemies include GUN who have no intention of letting Eggman or Sonic get their hands on Rosy as they don’t trust anyone else to protect her. Additional NPCs include Shadow the Hedgehog, Bunnie Rabbot, Rotor Walrus, and Rouge the Bat. NPCs with optional quests or can be unlocked for non-story play include the Chaotix Detective Agency (Vector the Crocodile, Espio the Chameleon, Charmy Bee, and Madonna) and Honey the Cat.

Area 4 – Sky Sanctuary

This area serves as the third main story area of the game. The character who Sonic must rescue is Knuckles who is the guardian and servant of the Sky God. The time period is early for the animal races and human scholars are fascinated by their mystical cultures especially that of the floating island nation which worships the Sky God. Eggman has grown tired of Sonic’s interference and has sent Infinite, who uses newly crafted robots summoned by the Phantom Ruby, to deal with him. Other enemies include the nefarious Ix, who wields magical clockwork machines in an attempt to conquer the island, and various treasure hunters like Fang the Sniper and the Jackal Squad who seek to sell the island’s treasures to less reputable human scholars. Additional NPCs include Tikal, Professor Pickle, and Blaze the Cat. NPCs with optional quests or can be unlocked for non-story play include, Marine the Raccoon, the Coconut Crew, and Relic the Pika.

Area 5 – Eggman Land

This area serves as the final main story area. There are no characters to rescue here but level availability is dependent on successfully rescued characters. The time period is unknown but Little Planet can be seen above the factory/theme park that is Eggman Land floating in the red smog and storm clouds below it. Here Doctor Eggman is in total control and his robots spill off of assembly lines in abundance ready to defeat Sonic. Additional enemies include Black Eggman and the Hard Boiled Heavies who oversee the various regions of Eggman Land. There are no additional NPCS here but there are Eggman holograms that offer different challenges as side quests. Metal Sonic can be unlocked here as a non-story playable character if all 15 optional levels are cleared.

Optional Area – The Abyss

This area serves as the game’s bonus stages. Seeking to escape this peculiar prison is Metal Sonic who has been trapped here since the world ended. The time period is unknown but stark white walls and glaring red lights make up the architecture of the monolithic structure of unknown future technology. Eggman has no presence here beyond Metal Sonic who only seeks to escape. The only enemies are drones as stark as the environment they inhabit that seek only to interfere with any attempting to leave the Abyss. Accessing each level of the Abyss requires a Sky Key with one hidden in each of the levels of the first three main areas. While these keys allow Sonic to access the Abyss from After World Island his every attempt to explore it brings Metal Sonic one step closer to freedom. Clearing 14 of the 15 stages grants Sonic access to the Sky Stones (one unlocked every two stages) which Knuckles can use to assure the safety of the Sky God but he can only extract them from the Abyss by clearing the fifteenth stage and freeing Metal Sonic. Clearing the bonus stages is optional to clearing the game but combined with rescuing Tails, Rosy, and Knuckles it is necessary to unlock the true ending.

Final Boss – Deus Egg Machina

Super genius scientist Doctor Eggman’s latest and greatest invention; a machine to hold the Sky God, who rules over all in and under the sky, and use its power to reshape the world as Eggman sees fit. Something went wrong with its initial start up and allowed Sonic to escape annihilation while placing his friends who could cripple the machine in different bubbles of history. Aware of the problem Eggman attempts to remedy it but eventually he finds his hated foe standing before him and converts it into a weapon to be rid of Sonic once and for all. Depending upon the players success at saving Tails, Rosy, and Knuckles as well as clearing all fifteen levels of the Abyss different events are possible during the fight. If Tails is present he can temporarily disable the boss allowing Sonic to attack. If Rosy is present she can pinpoint the Sky God within highlighting weak points for increased damage. If Knuckles is present he will have different effects depending on what else the player has accomplished. With Knuckles alone, or Knuckles and Tails, Knuckles will strike after Sonic inflicting additional damage. With Rosy and without the Sky Stones Knuckles will burrow into the boss and attempt to free the Sky God resulting in the boss entering an erratic phase. With Rosy and with the Sky Stones Knuckles will burrow into the boss and shield the Sky God from the machine preventing Eggman from warping reality during the boss fight. Sonic must strike the highlighted weak point for Knuckles to burrow in the second two scenarios which is easier if Tails disables the boss. In arcade mode the boss is always treated as Sonic alone but the true ending is still unlockable by completing the special stages.

Hub Worlds, Stages, and Chao Gardens

It would seem as well that I had planned to detail it out more based on the last line of text but never did. It seems to be kind of a generally strange idea for the most part but since it seemed discussable I figured why not share and see what everyone here thought about it.
Even having forgotten about this though I have to say I love the machine name Deus Egg Machina as an egg named boss.

I'd like a game like SA1, but also dialogue choices like Telltale games to affect character relations throughout the story. Make some new non-overpowered villains, for the telltale story style.

Title:

KNUCKLES: GUARDIAN ANGEL

(or maybe just Knuckles)

Story:

Okay, so I don’t really have a whole plot, but I do have a general vibe. This is a prequel to S3&K starring Knuckles the Echidna. He explores Angel Island, learns a bit of his people’s past and takes on his job as the island’s guardian.

The game might start with Knuckles’ birth. His egg (yes, echidnas come from eggs) lies in the frozen mountaintops of Ice Cap, possibly along with one of the Emeralds. A gust of wind sends the egg tumbling downhill. When it comes to a stop, Knux punches his way out with the most determined look you’ve ever seen on a newborn.

My idea was, the cold of Ice Cap slowed down his development so he hatced long after the other echidnas were dead. If his egg lies with an Emerald, the implication could be that its radiation mutated him into a peak condition echidna, just like it mutated Chaos.

Early on we see Knuckles being raised by a certain soul residing in the Master Emerald. It communicates telepathically and its meaning is conveyed through text, but we can understand by a female whispery voice and an orange glow from the Emerald who’s really talking.

Throughout the game, you can find writing from the ancient civilization. They hint at everything from daily life, to war, to the attack of Chaos (maybe referred to as a dragon as in S3&K’s manual), to words directly from Knux’ forefathers to him. To jokes about de wae. Okay, maybe not that last one.

World and gameplay:

This is a fully open-world game set entirely on Angel Island. You can explore any of the areas from S3&K’s story mode (bar Carnival Night, Flying Battery and Launch Base as they don’t exist yet), plus Azure Lake from the multiplayer and Red Mountain from Adventure 1, all reimagined in 3D with natural transitions between each other. Sky Sanctuary is a late game area, and mixes in visual elements from Angel Island Zone from Advance 1 and the last two zones of Advance 3. There are no invisible walls, but as the island is suspended miles above the ocean, falling below it means instant death.

The controls are pretty much based on Adventure 1, but less buggy. Knux can run, jump, roll, spindash, climb, glide and dig his way across the island. You can even get onto the side of the island, explore some grottoes and maybe even find new routes to Hydrocity or Lava Reef. By digging, you can find collection items, bits of lore and simple powerups.

Some of these abilities may be on a stamina meter that increases over the course of the game. This prevents them from being overpowered right away, and it demonstrates how Knuckles gets familiar with his abilities.

As for combat... I’m not sure in what degree it’s necessary. Like, what would he even fight? If it’s there, though, it’d probably have a bit more depth than usual, with different moves and enemy health bars. Knux might have a health bar filled by rings.

In each zone, there’s a Master Emerald altar. The Emerald can be summoned here for advice, and the altars act as checkpoints for when you respawn. Additionally, reaching an altar makes it available for fast travel from any other uncovered altar. Knuckles teleports with a flash that resembles Chaos Control.

Music:

Similar to Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the soundtrack usually consists of sparse, simple melodies with instruments fitting of the area. If you spend long in a zone or go near a major landmark, the music swells up into a low-fi hip hop beat reminiscent of Knuckles’ tracks in Adventure 2. Even better would be if Hunnid-P could return to do lyrics.

Most of the melodies come from previous games. For example, Ice Cap’s music takes cues from both the original S3&K, the PC version and the Ice Cap tracks from Adventure 1. Marble Garden mixes its originial compositions with Tikal’s theme.

DLC: & Sonic

This idea isn’t that thought out, just spitballing. But this could add a post-S3&K state to the island, featuring Carnival Night, Launch Base and a crashed Flying Battery. Knuckles would have all his abilities maxed out, maybe not even needing a stamina meter. As the DLC title implies, Sonic is playable, trading Knux’ echidna abilities for increased speed and parkour skill. Maybe even throw in Tails and his flight.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

a bowling or snooker game where sonic is the ball. with elements from sonic's universe to make more distinctive. similar to sonic spinball

Sonic Heroes: Hectic Battle

When the Zeti return to strike havoc across Sonic's World, he and his friends team up to drive the Deadly Six off and put a stop to their terror.

Playable Characters include Sonic, Tails, Amy, Cream, Knuckles, and Rouge/Omega. 

Locations include Never Lake, Angel Island, Leaf Forest, Metropolitan Highway, a creepy cave, a hexagonal plateau, and more.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this is something I've been mulling over for a while. So I guess this is the best way to unleash those ideas.

The first thing that has to be figured out is who our playable roster will be: so, to keep things simple and basic so we can build upon it in the future, I'm going to keep things to the main trio: Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles. I'm not going into characters like Shadow or Omega or what have you, because for this game, we're going to keep things simple to try and build a working formula that can be expanded upon later. With that introduction out of the way, let's get to one of the most important aspects: the controls

For Sonic, I was thinking a scheme like this:
image.thumb.png.765ee60fb1e83b91601baab4d4622ae3.png

Something like Sonic Adventure 2, but mixed with Sonic Generations to make turning at high speeds and taking corners just a bit easier. I've also spread out Sonic's moveset a bit, doing away with the action button to make those situations where you accidentally Bounce/Roll/etc. into a bottomless pit because you weren't close enough to the trail of Rings fade away completely.

This also gives you a greater sense of control over Sonic. Much as I love Sonic Unleashed, the Adventure titles (primarily what Modern Sonic is known for) give a much greater sense of control and movement.

I also really liked the Gems of Sonic '06, giving Sonic extra abilities to make his adventure just a tad easier or for more experienced players to  get to areas they couldn't before and even sequence break. They key here is to award skilled play, while channeling in what made the Genesis trilogy so great: a high skill ceiling, and a low skill floor. Gameplay, in a game, should be paramount, especially in a game like Sonic. Your skill is rewarded with speed and spectacle, therefore you can get better.

Now, for Tails:

image.thumb.png.4f27f9736158daf48d508a519fff633f.png

Not as robust as Sonic, but that's kind of the idea: much like Sonic 3, Tails stands in as the games "Easy Mode", letting players better come to grips with the game's controls and levels, while also  bringing his own uniqueness to the table, with his ability to fly giving him access to areas and routes Sonic normally couldn't reach. Not super combat focused like a Shadow would be, but he does have his tailspin attack from Sonic Adventure which is one way he can get up close and personal with enemies. (I considered giving him the Dummy Ring Bombs, but ultimately regulated that to the Gadgets section, which is a good segway into this)

Gadgets are sort of the Tails take on Sonic's special items/Gems: little trinkets that make the game just a tad bit easier, but in this case a bit less game breaking. Just things like the aforementioned Dummy Ring Bombs to take out enemies from a distance, or a Tails exclusive ability to stack items like Shields and powerups like Speed Shoes or Invincibility. Different from Sonic, but still close enough to not be a drastically different gameplay style. Handling is pretty similar to Sonic's, too, albeit a tad bit slower.

I would add Knuckles, but I'm pretty sure I hit the file limit so I'll save the rest of my thoughts for a super secret in production video.

I got back into Hyrule Warriors for a while and since then I've been idly thinking about how a Sonic Warriors would work. Mostly in terms of what each character's "gimmick" could be. 

Sonic: Homing attack: Normally his heavy attack would just be a quick spindash forward, but when locked on to an enemy, he'd zip right to it and (unless blocked) set them up for a combo. Good for starting a fight and for chasing down an enemy you've knocked out of reach.

Tails: Propeller flight: After an air combo he'd be able to start flying, either to continue juggling an enemy, to escape attacks from other enemies, or to hunt down new targets. Heavy attack while flying would drop a bomb to launch enemies up to his level.

Shadow: Chaos Control: Sonic's homing attack, but it trades the potential to damage enemies between you and your target for invulnerability while warping.

Metal Sonic: Black shield: Hold heavy attack to do that thing from SA2's multiplayer. If you were moving you'd continue sliding forward, bouncing off walls, doing minor damage to enemies, and reflecting projectiles back at attackers.

Rouge: Remote bombs/detonator: Some of Rouge's combos would have her scatter bombs around her, or attach sticky bombs to enemies. Pressing heavy attack would detonate all active bombs.

Omega: Reload/Variable ammo: Most of Omega's combos would end with an explosive attack at the cost of some of his ammo meter. His heavy attack would refill his meter with a random ammo type, changing the element/status effect/strength/whatever of those finishing attacks.

Blaze: Fire traps: Some combos would leave burning areas on the ground. They'd do either non-flinching persistent damage to anything standing on them, or explode, I haven't decided.

Big: Thick skin: Press heavy attack to fill a meter, which drains over time. While active Big runs slower and can't dodge, but he can't be flinched and takes half damage. Not 100% sure about this one to be honest; avoiding damage is generally better than just reducing it.

Silver: Trash compactor: His heavy attack would grab and crush a group of enemies in front of him. Any enemies killed by this would be compressed into a ball, and a meter would be filled proportional to the number of enemies killed. The meter would drain over time, and the trash ball would collapse when it empties. While it's active, the ball would add additional attacks to Silver's combos (similar to the Dominion Rod's statues in HW). Heavy attack would throw the ball forward, immediately emptying the meter.

I had an idea a while ago for an Eggman RTS but it’s based on the old game Dungeon Keeper, which I used to watch a friend play. In Dungeon Keeper instead of raiding dungeons Diablo style you build the actual dungeon room by room, and try to keep the heroes from destroying you or looting your treasure. It’s 3/4 top-down camera view like most RTS games.

Eggman would sit at the center of the map in his Eggmobile, and you’d collect rings and other resources as you explore out. Then you'd build rooms onto his lair, inspired by certain gimmicks and traps in the series, and manufacture and purchase badniks to patrol them. After a time limit, one of Sonic’s friends (or team of friends) will come to raid you and stop your schemes. I imagine there’d be plenty of colorful story dialogue voiced over the gameplay, especially by Eggman who will be winning most of the time in this game.

So it’s kind of like an Eggman base sim, which turns into a tower defense against a Sonic character buzz sawing and chaos controlling through your defenses. Recruitable villains would be all the badniks and bosses possible, maybe some controllable egg mechs if you choose to upgrade, and some kind of ultimate weapon like summoning a monster of the week (Chaos, Biolizard, Dark Gaia, Infinite, etc).

Levels would be recognizable Sonic levels, with special emphasis on Eggman’s bases. Scrap Brain, Flying Battery, Death Egg, Egg Fleet, Eggmanland, and so on. So basically a Sonic remake of Dungeon Keeper. Also while making this post I learned that Dungeon Keeper is a mobile game now that was much less well received than the original.

• Thumbs Up 1

Been brain-storming some Sonic themed mini-games. Mostly with the express purpose of entertaining a five year old. Once I upgrade Game Maker I'll probably try my hand at designing a few.

So, Wario Land 2 had this intriguing boss fight where you're playing basketball with a rabbit. The catch being that you take turns being the ball! You jump on the boss to force him into ball form and get a throw or two in before he uncurls, and he could do the same with you. Why can't this work as a Sonic mini game? Sounds simple and engaging. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Secondly a Donkey Kong parody starring Rouge and Knuckles.

So, Knuckles is leaning against the Master Emerald taking a nap, and you play as Rouge as she sneaks up on it. Occasionally, Knux yanks a pulley in his sleep that releases a boulder in place of barrels. The barrel that the fire spawns from in the original game is replaced by a leering bush that one of the Chaotix occasionally jumps out of, (a reference to Knuckles hiding place on the Sonic 3 cover). Rouge could have a modest hover at the height of a jump, but lands immediately after a direction is imputed. 

Charmy flies directly toward the player height wise and releases a tornado projectile like the mobile games are fond of giving him.

Espio sneaks up to you and lashes out with a midrange tongue. 

Vector lets loose a wave of fire that travels the length of the stage in a telegraphed pattern. 

Robotnik will occasionally fly onto the stage and setup shop, quite literally, offering to distract knuckles in exchange for a portion of your score.