Awoo.

Sega to launch a Sonic themed Beauty Product

Badnik Mechanic

glamglowgravitymud1.png

glamglowgravitymud2.png

So yeah... this happened! 

Yesterday Sega and Gravity Mud announced a limited edition Sonic themed mud pack (face mask). 1000 limited edition samples were given out to fashion and beauty bloggers... and so far only TSS has bothered to even talk about it... yeah. 

I have absolutely no idea if this will get mass produced, or a potential release date, but it seemed that the launch event had a bunch of new Sonic products at it. 

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2016/04/41170/

I for one look forward to the people who will have a breakdown over this.

• Thumbs Up 5

Well there are more female Sonic fans than male according to that one European survey so I guess SEGA made prodcuts to capitalize on that. Good on them, it's pretty weird to see facial Sonic products now but hey, merchandise is merchandise.

Wait, I get that Sonic has an unexpectedly large female audience, but who thought that a woman would seriously want to look like a cycloptic 3 foot tall hedgehog?

718n2oeGsFL._UL1500_.jpg

Nevermind.

1 minute ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Wait, I get that Sonic has an unexpectedly large female audience, but who thought that a woman would seriously want to look like a cycloptic 3 foot tall hedgehog?

718n2oeGsFL._UL1500_.jpg

Nevermind.

i want that costume!

• Thumbs Up 5

12 minutes ago, sansy said:

Well there are more female Sonic fans than male according to that one European survey so I guess SEGA made prodcuts to capitalize on that. Good on them, it's pretty weird to see facial Sonic products now but hey, merchandise is merchandise.

Contrary to popular belief, men do in fact own faces too!  I was surprised by this myself when I learned it but it's true.

Seriously facial masks do good shit.  I get a bunch of blackheads and dry skin around my nose and facial masks always clean me right up, they're pretty satisfying to peel off too and you feel super fresh after.

• Thumbs Up 4

And as far we know, so does Arin Hanson likes wearing Sonic outfits too..... yeah, moving on.

2 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Contrary to popular belief, men do in fact own faces too!  I was surprised by this myself when I learned it but it's true.

Seriously facial masks do good shit.  I get a bunch of blackheads and dry skin around my nose and facial masks always clean me right up, they're pretty satisfying to peel off too and you feel super fresh after.

Wait give me a second.

*pats face for a bit*

....Uhhhh yep, I can confirm that I do own a face. Well I'm not saying that only woman use facial masks, I've seen the commercials. But hey, I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. I'd probably look like an idiot but who cares!

11 minutes ago, sansy said:

And as far we know, so does Arin Hanson likes wearing Sonic outfits too..... yeah, moving on.

Implying that Arin is really a woman? :v

• Thumbs Up 1

Considering that hedgehogs can be attack helicopters, anything's possible in this world and it's great because of that!

• Thumbs Up 4

Men use face masks too! 

I used to use them... what? They really helped clean up my pores back in my teenage years. 

I'd probably look like an idiot but who cares!

You don't go out in it! You just place it on your face, wait a few min, then try to get it off. 

And all your oily skin goes away!

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Detective Hogfather said:

Men use face masks too! 

I used to use them... what? They really helped clean up my pores back in my teenage years. 

Especially in asian countries they do. in japan there are even cosmetics like that for men to as there are alot who also wear make up as well

I spend exuberant amounts of money for beauty products every month.

But this is one I can't say that I'll be picking up.  Unless it has pretty packaging.  Then maybe I'll contemplate it.

• Thumbs Up 1

LOL

The way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if SEGA comes up with a Pantone partnership! Pantone Sonic Blue.

This is wonderful. I approve 100% of this idea. A truly unique, never-before-imagined merchandise idea that's definitely doing something, well, different! I've never used a face mask before, but if I acquired one of these somehow, that would soon change.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sega must be really desperate for money.

Either that or their marketing department is trying too hard to be innovative.

Do these product tie-ins really work as promotion if the product has absolutely nothing to do with Sonic and video games?

3 minutes ago, FFWF said:

Do these product tie-ins really work as promotion if the product has absolutely nothing to do with Sonic and video games?

Since it uses Sonic image, yes. Companies invest millions to make their brand unforgettable. Which is why they invest in catchy jingles, conceptual commercials (Coke commercials with a beautiful woman sunbathing in a vast ocean located in the middle of nowhere while a giant white bear swims nearby), subtle advertising (images that allude to sex), etc. It's all about creating specific imagery that sticks into the subconscious mind of the consumers. 

IMO, I don't see this working for Sega with Sonic slapped on a cosmetic product. Sonic comes from the gaming industry. Therefore, Sega should target gamers by investing in accessories for electronic devices (mousepads, PC stickers, usb devices [pendrives, lampshades - yep, there are usb lampshades; I'm using one right now] - smartphone stickers, etc), kids' toys, school material (notebooks, pencils, backpacks, erasers, etc), headphones, keychains for smartphones and other similar stuff. 

On the other hand, not even that might work so well, since Sega has been lately releasing games that are openly criticized. But even so, some people will still buy a memorable product because of the desire to collect stuff associated with your favorite character.

Wow, why are almost everyone here so uptight about a simple face-mask? Are your masculinity being threatened again? Geez, get over it! Besides, gijinkas are dependent on cosmetics and make-up. Cosplayers will eat this up. A fresh and healthy skin is crucial for good make-up results.      

This is, together with Sonic Styles, a very inclusive approach to the Sonic brand. Will attract a wider audience, I bet you. Give us more!

3 hours ago, H&/MA/MC said:

Wow, why are almost everyone here so uptight about a simple face-mask? Are your masculinity being threatened again? Geez, get over it! Besides, gijinkas are dependent on cosmetics and make-up. Cosplayers will eat this up. A fresh and healthy skin is crucial for good make-up results.      

This is, together with Sonic Styles, a very inclusive approach to the Sonic brand. Will attract a wider audience, I bet you. Give us more!

I don't think anyone is getting "uptight" about this, as much as they are just confused.  I mean, as I mentioned earlier, I spend huge amounts of money on beauty products, but even as huge of a Sonic fan as I am, I don't see why I would want Sonic-themed cosmetics.  That might be because I prefer to keep my personal aesthetic and fanbases separate, but when I think quality beauty products, Sonic is like the last thing I think about.  Plus, from experience, cosmetics with this kind of branding tend to be of the rather cheap variety, making it even less desirable even curiosity's sake.

This isn't a case of a bunch of men crying "Ew!!  Cooties!"  It's a case of fans being genuinely confused about how this marketing actually applies to the brand in any significant way.  Serious cosplayers would probably use much more reputable products than something with Sonic's face on it.  That is, of course, unless they're trying to cosplay as Marty Wolf from Big, Fat Liar.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm...intrigued. I'm quite sure I'll stick with MAC, Estée Lauder, Bare Minerals and Bath and Body Works, but I can't say I'm not interested in what this smelłs like.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Chic said:

I'm...intrigued. I'm quite sure I'll stick with MAC, Estée Lauder, Bare Minerals and Bath and Body Works, but I can't say I'm not interested in what this smelłs like.

Admittedly, chili dog scented face masks would be a thing and a half.

• Thumbs Up 2

First Lightning gets a deal with Louis Vuitton and now this. What's next, Mario getting a deal with Reeboks?

17 minutes ago, Dizcrybe said:

First Lightning gets a deal with Louis Vuitton and now this. What's next, Mario getting a deal with Reeboks?

I'd prefer a nice pair of Air Luigis, myself.

Ironically, I think Sonic-themed footwear would've made more sense, but hey, should be interesting to see if this takes off.

34 minutes ago, Dizcrybe said:

You know what? You're actually onto something there.

The gaming industry was always regarded as detached from other more "traditional" markets.

But since games stopped being mere children and teens entertainment, other industries might decide to invest in its target audience, such as fashion. After all, the gaming industry generates billions of dollars nowadays.

Gamers usually don't buy Louis Vitton, but they might change their fashion preferences to buy stuff associated with their favorite character. It's still a weird tendency today - seeing Lightning posing with a Louis Vitton makes as little sense as Blaze wearing Maybelline make up -, but this might become commonplace in a few years. I also believe we'll see commercials being perfected so as to make videogame characters appear to be more natural wearing fashion brands.