Awoo.

*(Sonic BOOM - YOUR Season 2 Plan)*

Chris Knopps

Sonic BOOM, love it, hate it, that isn't the topic of the day here.

What the topic IS about, however, is what could the next season of Sonic BOOM do for YOU as the viewer? Suppose the community was invited to participate in a questionnaire of sorts and the purpose was to garner feedback for the best general direction of each episode in the upcoming season...

Suppose YOU could be the one plotting out the general direction of the Sonic BOOM series during it's second swing with the market... What would make YOU interested in the series? Keep in mind, there are no design alterations acceptable here, the idea is to figure out what could make the series work in your eyes despite possible gripes with how this or that character looks.

What would you like the characters to do? Where would you like to see them go? What kind of battles would draw you in? Perhaps there's a specific kind of dialogue you'd like to hear between cast? Is it too focused on a specific thing for your taste, and if so, what focus bothers you? How would you like to see it changed?

Think of this as if it were a real opportunity to influence what happens in Season 2 of Sonic BOOM, and use it to your advantage to dive into those blue brains of yours to figure out a way to make Sonic BOOM something that has a real, well, BOOM to it in more ways than seen thus far!

Cause, you know, there've been BOOM's but, I dunno, I think they could still be a little bigger... Better. It's missing that old school Looney Tunes kablooey sensation, ya know?

sonic_boom__episode_33_by_tanyatackett-da0p5yn.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Take it over the top with the action scenes. Have Knuckles throw buildings at people.

• Thumbs Up 3

Make Sonic's running animation feel more like running. Where's the tiny up down motions that running is supposed to cause?

I want Chao. 

3 hours ago, caseykz said:

Make Sonic's running animation feel more like running. Where's the tiny up down motions that running is supposed to cause?

I want Chao. 

Hmm... Didn't they have that in the first episode? The animation thing I mean.

1 minute ago, Chris Knopps said:

Hmm... Didn't they have that in the first episode? The animation thing I mean.

I kind of don't have the time to rewatch. But the top half of sonic's body seems stiff for some episodes.

3 hours ago, caseykz said:

I kind of don't have the time to rewatch. But the top half of sonic's body seems stiff for some episodes.

You have to factor in budget and time.

3 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

You have to factor in budget and time.

That's why it goes into my wishlist for season 2 ;) .

To things: Two-parters and take music theme from games for the love of evil ham. Why two-parters? You can make a bigger think, develop jokes, improve story bulding. More time= more possibilities. And why music theme? Because I want to hum something catchy when thinking about a show. And RoL menu theme is nice. Everything else is a matter of money and/or time.

I think it is time for the Boom universe to expand now, have a little adventure arc going for a couple of episodes, brownie points if it's connected to the games. The overall animation budget needs a boost for sure or maybe the animation team didn't have time to make the animation of the episodes super crisp like in episodes like Beyond the Valley of Cubots and as such. While it would be nice for the show to feel big overall, it shouldn't forget the tone it established itself from the first season, just want to make that clear. Outside of that, nothing too major comes to mind.

Just a nice expansion and overall visual improvements would make Season 2 better.

• Thumbs Up 1

Given that the season starts this fall, the production is more than likely well under way with several episodes probably complete so sadly, the topic's a bit moot at this point.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Jason the Jackass said:

Given that the season starts this fall, the production is more than likely well under way with several episodes probably complete so sadly, the topic's a bit moot at this point.

This topic would be more about a wish list type deal. Maybe somethings will come true and some other things won't. That's always happening, ya know?

7 hours ago, Jason the Jackass said:

I don't think anyone is expecting the showrunners to be browsing this topic and taking down notes. It's just fun to talk about what we'd like to see.

Personally, I want more interesting character designs. The villagers are certainly fun, but their designs are so dull and generic.

Also, more action. The show works as an action/comedy, but I wouldn't mind them taking a cue from Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and occasionally making the stories a little more epic.

And perhaps most importantly...learn to properly animate liquid. It's like every liquid in the Sonic Boom world has the consistency of pudding.

On 5/2/2016 at 4:12 AM, Kfarc said:

To things: Two-parters and take music theme from games for the love of evil ham.

Funny you said that:  Time-Eater Phase 1 was in the second to last episode of last season, right when Knuckles was about to fight Charlie

Just now, Tailikku said:

Funny you said that:  Time-Eater Phase 1 was in the second to last episode of last season, right when Knuckles was about to fight Charlie

Uhh yeah no, it wasn't.

Actually, on the subject, if season 2 had way more Charlie that'd be super.

• Thumbs Up 1

More of the same honestly. Although I'd love to see more Sonic Characters come in. They could do a great episode with The Chaotix.

I second two parter episodes as a sneaky way to get in full half hour stories. A better blend of comedy and action would also be nice. The more slice of life episodes are fun at times, but it would be nice to have more intense episodes like The Sidekick and One Armed Hedgehog more than once in a blue moon.

I also feel they should look a bit more into the hidden depths of the characters, especially the ones stated in the bios and games but not really shown much in the show itself. Otherwise I'm fine with most of the depictions par maybe Knuckles. His stupidity is fun at times, but he is probably the most two dimensional and incompetent character, which ruins what is otherwise a fairly even handed dynamic. I liked those odd episodes that gave him some baseline of intellect, if a very eccentric one. A character that is simple doesn't necessarily have to be shoehorned as the incompetent loser of the squad all the time. At the very least play more into the dumb MUSCLE part of him, we barely see him get much more of power display than the other supporting heroes.

• Thumbs Up 1

I want to make an in-depth post on what Season 2 of Sonic Boom can do to make me like it, as I currently don't like it at all. However, because of that, I don't actually know a whole lot about Boom to do so. Though there is one thing that Season 2 can do that can change my negative opinion right now...

BRING IN THE OTHER SONIC CHARACTERS!!! Cream, Team Chaotix, Rouge, Big, Blaze, and Silver! These are all characters with numerous, passionate fans, and have loads of untapped potential! But their treatment in the past decade has been criminal, with only the Archie Comics truly utilizing them (but even then they have to share very limited page time with the comic exclusives and they are usually restricted to Sonic Universe anyway). The Sonic cast deserves better and Sonic Boom can easily do that by giving them the screen-time they need and hopefully handling them better than they have been handled in the past (at the very least, I trust the Boom writers to handle them better than Pontaff and some of the other writers at Sonic Team). If Shadow and Metal Sonic, who are perceptively the least suitable characters for Boom, are allowed to appear then why can't the rest? It's unanimously agreed that Team Chaotix are perfect for the show. Big is also very suitable for Boom. And (personal bias aside) Cream can also work in Boom; just play up her innocence and politeness for comedy or, better yet, handle her in a manner similar to Numbuh 3 from KND (basically, have her be legit kind and cutesy but can be easily pissed off and is a force of nature when that happens). I don't have any ideas for Rouge, Blaze, and Silver but I don't doubt that they can be made to fit within Boom. They at least deserve a chance... Killing off Zooey, or at least shattering her dumb ass relationship with Tails, would also be highly welcomed

58 minutes ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

And (personal bias aside) Cream can also work in Boom; just play up her innocence and politeness for comedy or, better yet, handle her in a manner similar to Numbuh 3 from KND (basically, have her be legit kind and cutesy but can be easily pissed off and is a force of nature when that happens). 

Egh, personally I find myself HATING those characters, at least those that are exaggerated to such a mood swing level that Numbuh 3 was, making them more a bitch in sheep's clothing that expects everyone to be happy and nice until someone drops a pin around HER, instantly turning her into a psychopathic bully. It's even worse since they're never punished or called out because of their supposed default nice persona (and because they're usually too scared of them), they're essentially a jerk sue. Cream already had vague shades of this in Sonic X, and Amy was such full time by the end of said show (at least when she wasn't just a rude obnoxious brat by default). I'd be fine with a 'nice/doormat character until legitimately pushed too far' type, or even a nice character that has temper/aggression as a developed vice they genuinely try to control, but not an extremely volatile hypocrite like them.

From what I know SEGA needs to green light any other games characters for Boom to use, which is why the show has used so few. It would be nice if some more appeared, but only if they can find a proper role for them. Big admittedly feels a bit superfluous with Knuckles around, the latter even got redesigned into better fit his 'big clumsy oaf' bulk.

• Thumbs Up 3

53 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

Egh, personally I find myself HATING those characters, at least those that are exaggerated to such a mood swing level that Numbuh 3 was, making them more a bitch in sheep's clothing that expects everyone to be happy and nice until someone drops a pin around HER, instantly turning her into a psychopathic bully. It's even worse since they're never punished or called out because of their supposed default nice persona (and because they're usually too scared of them), they're essentially a jerk sue. Cream already had vague shades of this in Sonic X, and Amy was such full time by the end of said show (at least when she wasn't just a rude obnoxious brat by default). I'd be fine with a 'nice/doormat character until legitimately pushed too far' type, or even a nice character that has temper/aggression as a developed vice they genuinely try to control, but not an extremely volatile hypocrite like them.

In hindsight, Numbuh 3 is a bad example of what I meant ^^; But at least you get the gist of what I mean; having Cream be the nice, innocent type who nonetheless can get severely pissed off and can be a nightmare in that state, but not to overblown levels as seen with Numbuh 3 and X!Amy. Although I honestly don't care what they would do with Cream so long they actually use her and make her interesting so more people would actually like her. I love Cream to death but every medium has fucked up her character in some way. The games focused way too much on her "cute appeal" and didn't show her badass side enough (aside from her being a game breaker is most of her playable appearances), in addition to not having her appear much at all. Sonic X had her be in the background the grand majority of the time (granted, the same is mostly true for everyone) and still didn't do much interesting with her except fighting Emerl. And the Archie Comics... I know I've ranted about this too many times but, good god, I had hopes that they would actually fucking use Cream well, but instead Cream's actions are limited to airlifting people, serving cookies and coffee, and wanting to take part in the action only to be denied by a stupid fucking creator's pet who needs to go to hell Sally Acorn, in addition to mostly relegating her into the background. Just saying, if Boom would NOT make those same mistakes with Cream, I will take back every bad thing I've said about it. That and/or remove Taizooey

1 hour ago, E-122-Psi said:

Big admittedly feels a bit superfluous with Knuckles around, the latter even got redesigned into better fit his 'big clumsy oaf' bulk.

That is true. I was about to suggest that maybe Big instead could be the kind of character who is simple-minded but gets through life without any problem (think Forrest Gump but not to the extreme of being a world-famous billionaire) but that probably wouldn't work out well.

I could see Cream working based on her meekness, a Fluttershy type I suppose. In that sense she's nice, but to a fault. She has a flaw that has consequences for her like the others and she needs to work on (Fluttershy has temper tantrums too, but they are far less excessive, and usually after trying to put up with a lot of crap first, making them more justified). The main team could benefit from a more shy, soft spoken character as well, since the comedy tends to stick to obnoxious characters right now. Even Tails and Amy often lend to more arrogant or outspoken character humour a lot of the time, despite being the more demure members.

• Thumbs Up 1

OH MY GOD! I forgot about Fluttershy (granted I don't watch that show but still lol)! Yes, I completely agree! Cream's character could really benefit by having her be shy, probably as a result of her polite and kind nature (the kindest people tend to be the shyest. At least, that's what I think), but still able to kick serious ass when needed! Adds some much needed "depth" to her character and also helps contrast her from Amy, who is loads more outgoing and social (at least that's how I envision her game self though I'm fairly sure Boom!Amy is the same way).

Anyway, so I don't yet again derail another topic to discuss a cartoon rabbit girl, I'll mention another thing Season 2 of Sonic Boom could do to garner my interest: give this show some feeling of adventure and/or action. Seriously, it's super ironic that this "sub-franchise" was designed to have a more action-adventure feel to it (given the setting and the redesign for the cast) yet the tv show is a non-continuity comedy with more "mundane" situations (such as law suits, library books, becoming more "lady-like" for a party) than "action-adventure" ones. Not that there's anything wrong with it being a comedy and I wouldn't dare say that aspect of the show should be removed, but it would be nice if the show could have some more actual action and adventure and have some continuity as well. (Of course, I could be very wrong here so correct me if I am. Just sharing another thought.)

What they should probably play on more of is the subtle formula of mundane, everyday situations leading to actionized or intense dilemmas. Then it adds to both genres, being action with comical setup. Perhaps we could have more cases it escalates into more than just a light Eggman battle. 

• Thumbs Up 1