Awoo.

Space Jam 2 confirmed (Date TBD)

AlphaRuby

http://www.slashfilm.com/space-jam-2-justin-lin-lebron-james/

So, Space Jam 2 is now a thing, announced 20 years after the release of the original.

It will be directed by Justin Lin (the 3rd-6th Fast & The Furious films, Star Trek Beyond) and star LeBron James, and is expected to feature the Looney Tunes.

So, thoughts on this announcement, and also, did you enjoy the first film or not (I didn't)?

And, did you enjoy it enough to want a sequel?

I would forgive whatever faults this movie has if they let Bill Murray save the day again.

Leak footage of the new movie 

• Thumbs Up 1

I REALLY was wanting Blake Griffin to be the star, as he has more acting experience(check out his Funny or Die stuff, he's hilarious, he even did a reading of Space Jam'a script with some other actors.), and I just like him as a person much more than Lebron, but I knew Lebron would likely get chosen.:/ ah well, hope Blake at least makes a substantial appearance in this.

heck, Blake was IN a ad with the looney toons not long ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

Between the Batman Vs. Superman bombing hard and sequel to Space Jam being made it makes me wonder who the hell is in charge of green-lighting these monstrosities and where can I get what they're smoking?

• Thumbs Up 2

Part of me is still skeptical.  The article does mention the rumor that surfaced two years ago, but I'm still not sure if I believe anything will actually come out of this.  I could easily be proven wrong, though.

I don't understand the logic behind it. Then again, maybe they want to bring it back to make an actual good sequel? I dunno.

Hm, as much as I like the first one, looking back at it now as an adult it's...pretty cringe -worthy. I'm still looking forward to this sequel though. 

First of all, I feel like this is unnecessary. But if they're gonna do this again anyway, I'd wanna see Roger Rabbit levels of effort put into integrating the characters into the live action settings, because compared to Roger Rabbit, Space Jam (and later Looney Tunes back in action for that matter) looked less ambitious by comparison.

ZoBWBJF.png

i wanna see bugs & daffy do stuff like leaving hand prints on dusty chairs but i know things probably won't be that intricate

The idea's already absurd, might as well go big or go home imo.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, I feel like the more time goes by the more and more aged Roger Rabbit becomes. Everything is in constant motion due to Williams' ridiculous fascination with animating only on 1s, which in a traditional environment just makes everything distracting and floaty-looking. 2s and still bits can be used and still maintain life, and go better with maintaining weight without the animation upstaging anything. I also feel Space Jam also did the character integration pretty well if not better than Roger simply due to better technological advancements. When Bugs and Daffy are in the trophy room and messing with the environment, it's difficult to see the clumsy human manipulation of objects underneath the animation because the timing is quick and committed. For example, when Bugs sees the gym bag on the table and pulls it, you see the bag actually show stretch wrinkles in the direction Bugs pulls it away. You also see the reflection of his arms in the wooden table. There's light play everywhere in the scene with shadows and reflections on different surfaces, even the dog in the closet. Just as well, the scene where Daffy tunnels into the dog's house and uses a lighter for some light is pretty nifty. The light is properly cast everywhere and moves as the flame moves, even on the dog's face. Space Jam did the technique just as well even if it's a worse movie.

• Thumbs Up 6

I wonder if the Nerdlucks will finally make their return for the sequel after 20 years of absence.

You know, those little aliens that transformed to the Monstars?latest?cb=20121203212216

I'm ok with them being one-shots.....if it wasn't for the fact that they supposedly became Looney Tunes which implied we were gonna see them again.

Near the ending of Space Jam when the Tune Squad won the game and Monstars returned the talent of the NBA players, the Nerdlucks said they wanted to stay with the Looney Tunes as long they're were "looney enough".

that_s_all_folks__nerdlucks__by_dlee1293

Bet that means they're officially part of the Looney Tunes cast right? Haha-wrong, they were never seen again after this movie nor did they appear in anything Looney Tunes related again.

Not complaining though, it's just wierd how they suddenly vanished after Space Jam and never made a single appearance since.

If the animation is like the vid I posted in this topic, which I think is pretty likely, I think we'll be good there. That was traditional animation being used in a age of cgi, which must have been a tough decision for WB.

17 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

Honestly, I feel like the more time goes by the more and more aged Roger Rabbit becomes. Everything is in constant motion due to Williams' ridiculous fascination with animating only on 1s, which in a traditional environment just makes everything distracting and floaty-looking. 2s and still bits can be used and still maintain life, and go better with maintaining weight without the animation upstaging anything. I also feel Space Jam also did the character integration pretty well if not better than Roger simply due to better technological advancements. When Bugs and Daffy are in the trophy room and messing with the environment, it's difficult to see the clumsy human manipulation of objects underneath the animation because the timing is quick and committed. For example, when Bugs sees the gym bag on the table and pulls it, you see the bag actually show stretch wrinkles in the direction Bugs pulls it away. You also see the reflection of his arms in the wooden table. There's light play everywhere in the scene with shadows and reflections on different surfaces, even the dog in the closet. Just as well, the scene where Daffy tunnels into the dog's house and uses a lighter for some light is pretty nifty. The light is properly cast everywhere and moves as the flame moves, even on the dog's face. Space Jam did the technique just as well even if it's a worse movie.

tumblr_inline_n8vw2tKDVW1ssoiqt.gif

I'll admit that I have Space Jam on VHS and haven't seriously watched it since I had a VCR, while on the other hand I recently got Roger Rabbit on Blu-Ray so I've watched it at much better quality and it's fresher in my mind.

I guess if there's something I would like to see in this sequel, is the technique used.. more? I wanna see more of the Looney Tunes characters in the real world like Bugs and Daffy in the first movie (with a reason to go there of course.) While the techniques have advanced and are more seamless now, (where you could simply give a Toon a CG prop to hold rather than have it float on strings and stuff,) I feel like we still don't get as many opportunities nowadays to see these things in use, at least not as extensively as in Roger Rabbit, which probably has some kind of record for the number of mixed media shots of that particular kind in a movie.

I think the way the story was written for Space Jam was that it would both be more interesting for the toons to bring humans back to their world and less time consuming and costly. Imagine a real-life stadium scene back then with hundreds of human extras and all of those Looney Tunes interacting with one another in the stands. It probably would've been a planning, timing, and editing nightmare; I don't even think there's a scene in Roger Rabbit that puts a crowd of people in with another simulated crowd of traditionally animated characters. It would indeed be much easier to do today, but the ratio of live-action to animation mix isn't a personal concern of mine so much as, at this point, the animation style they're even going with. Those 3D Looney Tunes shorts probably weren't made for nothing. <u<;;.....

• Thumbs Up 2

If they must be in CG, I really hope they look like this or similar:

Not exactly the same as the classic stuff, but I feel like they came close.

• Thumbs Up 6

If they're going to do CGI, and they're going to have the Tunes visit the human world at some point, they should basically do a Spongebob and have them as traditionally animated characters within their own world and have them jump to 3D in the human world. I feel like that would be a rational thing to happen in the story and a compromise between traditional purists and current generations who are used to their theatrical characters being CGI. It updates the general idea of Space Jam without really abandoning it.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Ferno said:

If they must be in CG, I really hope they look like this or similar:

Not exactly the same as the classic stuff, but I feel like they came close.

While I personally want traditionally hand drawn/2D, I see this as being a much nicer alternative. There's another one of these which is pretty good as well.

On another note, my favourite scenes of the original Space Jam was the aforementioned Bugs and Daffy in Michael Jordan's house, mainly because in general, I'm a massive fan of the humor we get from Bugs and Daffy's interactions. The other scene is when they begin beating the Monstars in the game because I think it has some good visual humor and gags, my favourite being the Pulp Fiction homage.   

• Thumbs Up 3

Wasn't gonna mention it, but since you guys were talking about the animation,

I remember seeing some kind of featurette/behind the scenes thing about Space Jam, and how the animation was incredibly easy to get finished at the time. Whatever digital process they used allowed the entire thing to be made much faster than every other animated film at this point. It also kept the budget decently low (though still not totally cheap)

So, if they're gonna do another one, they should totally do it the same way. The animation was pretty damn good. I can't see this sequel making a ton of money, so this option would allow for good animation at a decent price, maybe even cheaper than in '96.

So this is actually something I have been hoping for. For a long time.

All that needs to happen is for Jordan to reprise his role in an epic supporting fashion, and my weird daydreams will be completely realized.

Wow, this sequel is actually happening... and I thought it was dead in the water some time ago. Well, I guess it's to time to SLAM and JAM once again!

On 5/3/2016 at 6:41 AM, Destructo-Dude said:

I wonder if the Nerdlucks will finally make their return for the sequel after 20 years of absence.

You know, those little aliens that transformed to the Monstars?latest?cb=20121203212216

I'm ok with them being one-shots.....if it wasn't for the fact that they supposedly became Looney Tunes which implied we were gonna see them again.

Near the ending of Space Jam when the Tune Squad won the game and Monstars returned the talent of the NBA players, the Nerdlucks said they wanted to stay with the Looney Tunes as long they're were "looney enough".

that_s_all_folks__nerdlucks__by_dlee1293

Bet that means they're officially part of the Looney Tunes cast right? Haha-wrong, they were never seen again after this movie nor did they appear in anything Looney Tunes related again.

Not complaining though, it's just wierd how they suddenly vanished after Space Jam and never made a single appearance since.

For the most part, screw the Nerdlucks! (I'd be fine with their return) You know who we need to see? The Warners. They haven't been in anything other than like 1 or 2 bumpers since 1998 or so. Why does WB seem to want to forget all the Spielberg characters in every future Looney Tunes production? We've seen none of them on The Looney Tunes Show, Wabbit, etc, yet Warner keeps making up all kinds of shitty new characters to "try to appeal to people after like, the 80s or so", when they already have the loads of Spielberg characters, pre-1935 characters, quartenary characters, etc that haven't been seen since their last appearance in their heyday.

In fact, I have a great plot. A team of vengeful Spielberg and pre-1935 characters is assembled to take on the Looney Tunes. The Looney Tunes want to make peace with them, and decide to use the only method they know how: B-Ball.