Awoo.

Dawn of War III (PC, TBA) "By the Emperor... it's finally here..."

Teoskaven

http://www.pcgamesn.com/warhammer-40000-dawn-of-war-iii/dawn-of-war-3-base-building

http://www.pcgamer.com/dawn-of-war-3-inside-relics-biggest-rts-yet/

Fans of Warhammer 40.000, rejoice: the traditional RTS series by Relic Entertainment (published first by THQ and now by SEGA) for PC hits finally is third chapter after 5-6 years when the last expansion for the second game was released.

Here's what we know so far:

*Returning races so far are the classic ones (Space Marines, Eldars and Orks).

*Basebuilding confirmed to return, integrating though the hero customization from the second game; basically, the best elements from the past.

*Titan-scale units confirmed for all factions.

*Huge hints at the Eldars' jet bike units (wich were very requested by fans).

*The plot is that a relic has been found on the planet by the Orks and the other factions are basically trying to stopping them; the devs though made clear that there are no heroes nor villains here, just war.

*Races that will not be present in the main game will be added in expansions just like in the first game (so Tau fans like me can still hope).

*Commanders for the currents factions are respectively Gabriel Angelos for the Space Marines, Farseer Macha for the Eldars (returning from the very first game) and Warboss Gorgutz for the Orks (still being in charge of his Waaaagh since Winter Assault).

Who will you stand with, SSMB?

zVNOle9.jpg

What in the hell is going on in that trailer? What is dropping all those bodies? Gorgeous visuals, mind. Beautiful animation. Movie, anyone?

Color me excited, but I can't help but dream of a proper 40k FPS or TPS on current gen console platforms... Why has it been so damn hard to do that and have it sell?

31 minutes ago, Patticus said:

Color me excited, but I can't help but dream of a proper 40k FPS or TPS on current gen console platforms... Why has it been so damn hard to do that and have it sell?

Spare Marine sequel when? That was a great game, I thought and it didn't do too badly did it?

Anyway, I've never played the tabletop game but I was addicted, for real, to Dawn Of War 2 for the longest time. I pretty much played nothing but DOW2 for at least a year. So keen to get back into this world, and especially keen for another Relic RTS.

As for what faction- I'm thinking eldar, especially after seeing the huge ass wraithknights in the trailer, but I like all 3 to some extent

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Remy said:

Spare Marine sequel when? That was a great game, I thought and it didn't do too badly did it?

SM was planned as a trilogy, seeing the birth of a new Marine chapter in the final installment, but IIRC it didn't sell enough for the publisher (or was it the developer?) to justify the expense of dedicating that many resources to a project that was likely falling well short of expected sales. The sequels were shitcanned, though I guess it could be revived at a later date? I doubt it will, though.

More thoughts on this below.

Spoiler

I enjoyed a good part of the gameplay, which was hectic and fun, and the game world was a beautiful thing to behold at times. However, it was a flawed product, with some pretty samey, bland environs, repetitive gameplay, and a pretty one-note story. The Chaos angle was eminently predictable, though those Marines did provide one hell of a challenge.

I enjoyed Fire Warrior, back in the day, in large part because it showed us the 40k universe from a very different perspective, which I'd like to see revisited. I'm not against the Space Marine angle at all though, I'd love to see so much more of it; I mean, why are we not being treated to a Horus Heresy game series? Or something expounding upon the Great Crusades? Or the Emperor's rise to power back on Terra? Or the several millennium long machine uprising that lead to the blanket moratorium on A.I.s across the Imperium (which apparently the Cult Mechanicus didn't heed), shortly after the Crusades?

It just seems like nobody has gotten the formula for a non-RTS FPS/TPS right yet, and it's frustrating beyond belief because the universe is incredible, and deserves so much more than it gets. On another note, I'm looking forward to (hopefully) getting the new Battlefleet Gothic game on Steam for my birthday, that shit looks incredible.

Anyway, DoW3. Looks like we've got our usual Tolkien-esque contingent of Space Marines, Orks and Eldar, joined by their Titanic comrades, Wraith Knights and Killer Kans marauding about the battlefield. Will there be more mechanized units, I wonder?

Yes! I was expecting this to happen. It has been a long time since DoW2. It is my favourite RTS and I hope this new game will be even better.