Awoo.

Sonic is Coming to Lego Dimensions "Gotta LeGo Fast!"

Badnik Mechanic

Except that in cases with games that genuinely have music license problems, their soundtrack get patched on Steam. GTA San Andreas is a really clear and obvious example.

Or the game would just get pulled entirely, similar to how Marvel Vs Capcom 2 was pulled online after Capcom lost the Marvel License. Not a music license, sure, but a similar concept.

If Sonic 3 and Knuckles really did have such a massive legal problem with the soundtrack, it wouldn't just be sold unedited on Steam. That makes absolutely no sense, and is contradicted by the above.

And why has this conspiracy suddenly extended to Sonic 1 and 2? Their soundtracks have been reused and remixed loads of times.

It's far, far more likely that Lego Dimensions doesn't use some of the old music for completely seperate reasons.

I swear, I can't wait for Ice Cap Zone in Sonic Mania to finally kill this litigation conspiracy once it is inevitably in the game with a remixed version of its original soundtrack.

Mind you, early Sonic games had different license agreements when it came to music composition (Most of everything from S&K/3D were done with Sega regulars) so there's always got to be a license fee to use those songs in whatever way (why we tend to see stages from Sonic Heroes or Lost World being used when no Green Hill Zone is anywhere to be seen).

And then there's also the fact that Lego Dimensions is a game that is dealing with 20+ different licenses, to the point they can't hire all the actors to reprise their roles, or just using soundclips from their films instead. So I imagine the music is the same case here, in that some songs from Adventure onwards can be used no problem, but anything beforehand is a different license to pay for. I'd think they might have that big a budget to accommodate all these properties, but just not enough to include everything they want.

Not saying this is the 100% true statements, but based on the odd facts I know regarding production & development in the media & the use of licenses, this might be the case, if not close enough.

• Thumbs Up 3

10 hours ago, Pixel said:

Except that in cases with games that genuinely have music license problems, their soundtrack get patched on Steam. GTA San Andreas is a really clear and obvious example.

Or the game would just get pulled entirely, similar to how Marvel Vs Capcom 2 was pulled online after Capcom lost the Marvel License. Not a music license, sure, but a similar concept.

If Sonic 3 and Knuckles really did have such a massive legal problem with the soundtrack, it wouldn't just be sold unedited on Steam. That makes absolutely no sense, and is contradicted by the above.

The Marvel VS Capcom example is a fair bit more serious than the Sonic 3K issues. The game obviously can't possibly function without the Marvel content so if it had to be removed the whole game obviously has to be pulled since it literally wouldn't function anymore. The big difference between Sonic 3K and the other examples you've given is what type of release they are.

San Andreas, Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure 2, all have licensed content whether it's music or otherwise. When these games got re-released on other consoles later on, they were done so via ports. Ports of games evidently require a renewed agreement from the license holders since it's technically a new version of the game even if the developers aren't actually changing anything.

Sonic 3K gets away with it on Steam, Mega Collection Plus and the Mega Drive Ultimate Collection because they are emulations rather than ports. They are literally using the same version of the game and simply building software in order for that original ROM to be able to actually run on a 360 or PC. Notice that when the Sonic & Knuckles Collection came out and ported Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles for PC, the music was changed. It's the same reason why they didn't need separate license agreements for every individual Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles cartridge sold back in the 90s. 

• Thumbs Up 2

The Sonic and Knuckles music was probably changed due to the MIDI files. The instruments on the original tracks wouldn't have worked with the MIDI file.

As for San Andreas, the Steam port's music was patched out. It wasn't that it was re-released with missing tracks, the exisiting port (which was put onto Steam with the music) had its music patched out. 

I understand S3AK isn't a port, but the point still stands. The reason I used MVC2 as an example is because that is also emulated, but is clearly not exempt from getting pulled from online, regardless of whatever was agreed at the time of it being up on Steam.

The point stands that, regardless of the fact Sonic 3AK is emulated, it makes no sense that it can happily sit for download while it has a copyright problematic soundtrack.

Besides, aside from Sonic and Knuckles PC Collection, there is absolutely no evidence that SEGA can't use the soundtrack. There is no S3AK soundtrack CD, but there could be any reason for that.

2 hours ago, Frobman said:

Mind you, early Sonic games had different license agreements when it came to music composition (Most of everything from S&K/3D were done with Sega regulars) so there's always got to be a license fee to use those songs in whatever way (why we tend to see stages from Sonic Heroes or Lost World being used when no Green Hill Zone is anywhere to be seen).

Green Hill Zone and its soundtrack is used all the fucking time xD

1 hour ago, Pixel said:

Green Hill Zone and its soundtrack is used all the fucking time xD

Half the time we see Green Hill Zone, it never used the actual theme song. Using just the one song probably doesn't cost as much as using 3-5 songs from Sonic 1+2. We never even received the soundtrack that came out 5 years ago outside of Japan, even in digital form. (If I recall correctly, wasn't there some sort of problem getting that particular soundtrack in the first place)

Again, it's probably manageable to use all those songs no problem. In a Sonic game. But in this game, involving 20+ properties to pay a whole lot for license use, gotta cut corners somewhere.

• Thumbs Up 1

I could continue this argument about classic sonic music rights, but instead I'm just gonna leave this clip here:

Dear god I absolutely love how Sonic handles physics-wise in this game, even if it is buggy like 90% of the time... :P

• Thumbs Up 3

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a list of the following.

What characters/abilities are needed to 100% the Sonic pack?

What characters are currently on hire a hero?

16 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Is there a list of the following.

What characters/abilities are needed to 100% the Sonic pack?

What characters are currently on hire a hero?

here is a list of abilities required for the level

Minikit – Illumination, Super Strength, Slurp Access, Lantern Construct, Laser, Technology, Sword Switch, Charge Transfer

Rescue Character – Super Strength, Laser, Technology

• i'm pretty sure that dr who is on the hire a hero list so he covers tech
  • i'm positive that sonic's spin dash counts towards super strength
  • the crabmeat rebuild can shoot lasers so you don't need hire a hero for that.
  • Illumination is covered by gandalf
  • I don't know if finn is rentable for sword switches yet but I'm positive that excaliber batman will cover sword switches as well.
  • charge transfer is currently a ghostbusters 2016 exclusive ability
  • slurp access might be covered by the hire a hero system but otherwise slimer,jake,LSP and marceline are the only ones with this skill.
  • Lantern Construct supergirl is currently the only hero with lantern powers but she should be added to hire a hero in march.

Well I have Super girl. Superman and the original ghostbusters.

So looks like I only need the... ugh... new Ghostbusters?

1 minute ago, Mayor D said:

Well I have Super girl. Superman and the original ghostbusters.

So looks like I only need the... ugh... new Ghostbusters?

possibly but I'd wait for the lego batman movie packs to release before lossing all hope.one of batgirl or robins suits may have the electric charge skill equipped in their belts considering that the lego batman 2 game is where the ability first showed up.

Image result for lego batman electro suit

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd also be cautious about using Hire-A-Hero in the levels themselves, since the cost to hire one increases each time you use them, and unlike the Adventure Worlds, you can only use the studs/rings you collect in that level to hire them.

As for who you can hire, the Tech panels should give you an option (I think it's Cyborg) and the Sword Switch definitely gives you Finn to hire.

Now, the Charge Transfer. Technically, you should be able to hire Abby (the new Ghostbusters) when you're next to the panel (I've done this just fine in the A-Team world) but for some reason, it never appeared in the Sonic level for me. If the option does appear, then you should be fine. If not, then I'd say wait to see if there's another character with that ability later on.

Is there any kind of wiki or reliable guide for the hire a hero stuff. Was going to limit it to the main game for now anyway

Also this...

Get the ghosbusters level pack. 

Go to the NYC hub.

Switch to Sonic.

You are now playing a huge 3D Station Square will multiple paths, hidden items... only there are ghosts! And Skelletons!

• Thumbs Up 4

• 3 weeks later...

Just posted today. Nice little video and like the little doppelganger *cough*cough* Shadow *cough*cough* moment.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, Mysterion said:

Just posted today. Nice little video and like the little doppelganger *cough*cough* Shadow *cough*cough* moment.

Lost it at the Shadow line.

Also there's more of these, but with different hosts and characters.

Seems like we just barely got away from having an over-emotional Espio, the most annoying incarnation of Charmy EVER and a million Computer Room jokes in this game. What a relief. Chaotix Fun Pack NOW!

Link:

espiolego.jpg

charmylego.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

...Wouldn't Espio's joke be about all ninja all day? That seems more like TT's line of humour.

Honestly, I have a conspiracy idea at this point that Sonic Team are really picky about how the Chaotix are handled for some mysterious reason (hence why they got the cut treatment). Certainly seemed that way post-235 and in the reboot for Archie. 

Absolutely, it would probably have been about Espio trying (and maybe failing) to be a bad-ass ninja.

I must have been misguided by his big heart.espiolegoh.jpg

...I should get going.

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else notice the Sonic pack got a recent update patch? I only noticed one difference so far, which is that they fixed Amy's texture. Did anyone else notice how Amys' socks originally had an odd rope like texture on them? It's gone now, and was replaced with a regular sock texture. Her character model looks a lot more spot on to her actual character design now. I just noticed this change today. I don't know what else was changed, but the patch file itself is a little over 1 gb big. 

Update: I just noticed this update fixed something else. This new patch fixed the Ring-a-Ding-Ding Extra’s sound effects. The Extra was originally intended to replace Studs with rings from Sonic, while playing the traditional ring collect chime from the Sonic games. However, there were times when the game wouldn’t register correctly, and would play the regular stud collecting sound effect. I can confirm that this new patch seemed to have fixed it. 

• 4 months later...

Finally got a hold of this game. After building the Tornado and the Sonic Speedster, I notice there's a few leftover pieces that don't seem to go anywhere. Are there supposed to be left over pieces? Thanks!

1 hour ago, big_smile said:

Finally got a hold of this game. After building the Tornado and the Sonic Speedster, I notice there's a few leftover pieces that don't seem to go anywhere. Are there supposed to be left over pieces? Thanks!

From my experience, there are often a few extra pieces in the Fun/Team/Level Packs. They don't have any purpose though, aside from some rare exceptions (sometimes, the leftover parts are used for the alternate vehicle builds). You can add those spare pieces to anything, if you're feeling creative.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks! Just to double check, the leftover parts aren't used for the alternate vehicle builds in the Sonic Level pack are they?

[The reason I ask is that my Sonic Level Pack came with a damaged open box and if I send it back, I have to wait a few months 'till it's back in stock. So I just want to keep it and make sure nothing is missing. (I checked against the 'contents' guide in the manual and all the pieces are there, but the manual doesn't cover the alternative vehicle builds). I know I could just build the alternative builds, but I haven't got that far in the game to unlock the instructions. And also the Tornado and Speedster look so nice, that I don't want to take them apart!]

I don't think Sonic's vehicles use any extra pieces for the alt. builds, no. If you've built the standard vehicles without any missing pieces, then I'd say you're good to go. Any leftover pieces can be used for... well, whatever you want.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lego sets usually always come with a few extras of the easy to lose pieces. Typically stuff like pegs, studs or axles.

• Thumbs Up 1