Awoo.

Sonic is Coming to Lego Dimensions "Gotta LeGo Fast!"

Badnik Mechanic

9 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

So... Now that it is official, what can we expect? I have never seen Lego Dimensions before, and I don't know what it actually is about. Does the gameplay vary from character to character?

EDIT: How does the toys thing work, can I buy just the Sonic Set or do I have to buy others to play with Sonic for story purposes?

You buy the base game (comes with the portal to put the figures on, Gandalf, Batman and Wyldestyle) who you play as in the main story. You then can add other playable characters, with different skills, to either do a specific level (Portal, Back to the Future and Doctor Who have these for example) or explore their world (Ninjago, Jurassic World and others have this). No idea if Sonic will have a level or just an explorable world yet. Either way, fun awaits.

1 minute ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

You buy the base game (comes with the portal to put the figures on, Gandalf, Batman and Wyldestyle) who you play as in the main story. You then can add other playable characters, with different skills, to either do a specific level (Portal, Back to the Future and Doctor Who have these for example) or explore their world (Ninjago, Jurassic World and others have this). No idea if Sonic will have a level or just an explorable world yet. Either way, fun awaits.

Well if you're stuck playing as those three characters I really can't see a Sonic level, not in the usual way. They're slow and it looks like a generic 3D platform, how could Sonic fit in?

I hope Fantastic Beasts can still get it's own Lego game. I don't like Toys to Life stuff.

9 minutes ago, Detective Hogfather said:

Have you not seen the first Lego Dimensions?

No really what's wrong with it?

I've seen the first Lego Dimensions and I know Lego's been doing this shit for a good while, but since I happen to care more for Sonic than, say, the Simpsons, I point it out now and not then. Sonic was not built or designed to fit these proportions. And while you can grab something more realistic and stylise it as a toy and have it work, doing the reverse just makes it look like... look, images.

This intends to look like this, and doesn't.

49391aa5cad74034aae251d6e1ec38b2.png

What it does look like, is this.

7d09eec225c84ae5b5abc66d1aa70927.png

Like with Funko Pop figures or those really stupid Disney vinyl figures that all have Mickey ears, any line that consists of "let's grab as many art styles as possible and massacre them to fit the same proportions" is a really dumb idea art-wise and just ends up with Sonic looking the same as Batman, except with a Sonic head on. Switch this guy's body with someone with a snazzy jacket and you'll more easily have a figure of a Hotline Miami character with a Sonic mask.

Figures like Gollum at least get a custom body part to fit better their original proportions. This is more like if the Jurassic Park sets had the velociraptors look like humans with dino heads.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Sonikko said:

Well if you're stuck playing as those three characters I really can't see a Sonic level, not in the usual way. They're slow and it looks like a generic 3D platform, how could Sonic fit in?

Don't be so sure. As I said, the character level packs can give you a scenario where you play as a certain character. The Portal level was essentially Portal 3, same mechanics and everything. Lego has had super speed characters in games before (Quicksilver in Avengers) and has made old style games (The Midway games levels in Dimensions). I bet they can recreate or do Sonic in a good style.

To be honest he looks a little out of place with the other characters.

All Lego people are the same proportionally, it's sort of the point. You might as well ask why Gandalf is as tall as Batman.

Also, Sonic's design is a bit tricky to work into Lego - he's all circular, his legs and arms are very thin, and he has massive hands and feet relative to the rest of him. I think it's fine what they've done with it given the limited scope. 

Hope they work in some Sonic levels, GHZ is a shoe-in, but what else? City Escape? Chemical Plant? Seaside Hill?

• Thumbs Up 7

9 minutes ago, Sonikku. said:

To be honest he looks a little out of place with the other characters.

Compared to Finn and Jake, Slimer, Unicorn Princess and countless others? I think he fits in just fine.

• Thumbs Up 8

13 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Don't be so sure. As I said, the character level packs can give you a scenario where you play as a certain character. The Portal level was essentially Portal 3, same mechanics and everything. Lego has had super speed characters in games before (Quicksilver in Avengers) and has made old style games (The Midway games levels in Dimensions). I bet they can recreate or do Sonic in a good style.

I just looked up the Avengers Lego game and

Well I think they can work something out, that formula would work very well with Sonic and Tails, in their own world. I can see that happening. Just 80€ for the base game is a bit too much, even if it's for the toy base and stuff like that.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, SumoSpartan said:

Afternoon folks, it's been a while - thought I'd pop by ;)

...I really should change my username now I'm at TT Games :) 

He's BACK

29 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

It's a bloody Lego game of course Sonic's going to be off-model just like everyone else

I understand; you didn't have to be so rude though.

• Thumbs Up 1

What a time to be alive! Hearing this just makes me so happy and just HYPED!

What a way to start the 25th Anniversary!!!

AND THE BEST PART?

ITS MODERN SONIC

JUST

legonicn7bag.gif

WOW

• Thumbs Up 2

So we got Sonic, and the Tornado, which means his Gadget(if it's a Level pack) is likely a Chaos emerald or some sorta warp gate. Tail's could likely have Tornado2, and Eggman would have the Eggmobile

I'm convinced that we'll only get the one Sonic pack with the Tornado, which will either (most likely) be a Level pack with an additional gadget (speculate away!), or a Fun pack with just the two figures. 

I can't see Tails or Knuckles coming separately, maybe Eggman at a push because of the potential for gadgets and vehicles, but even that seems unlikely with all the other franchises they've got to cram in there too. That's not to say I wouldn't happily be proven wrong, I'm just not as sold on the possibility.

Either way, we'll see lots of other characters and familiar locations in the Adventure World. I can't wait to see some LEGO badniks, for a start.

36 minutes ago, Sonikku. said:

I understand; you didn't have to be so rude though.

It's best to just use the Report button if you feel like someone's being rude.

In this instance, I don't think Indy should get in trouble, though I can understand why he could easily be perceived as rude. I'm pretty sure he wasn't meaning to directly target you or anyone else in his statement, but was just being facetious and trying to highlight the absurdity he perceived in a situation. It isn't necessarily against the rules to make a point forcefully in this matter; calling an argument silly or stupid isn't the same as calling a person silly or stupid.

I can see why you might be offended, but again, use the Report button. You do have a bit of a history of "backseat moderating", taking action yourself when it's really a job for the moderators to handle, which is firmly against the rules. This is not a very bad instance of this behavior, but seeing as this isn't the first time, I recommend you be more careful to avoid this sort of thing in the future.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Doctor MK said:

I'm convinced that we'll only get the one Sonic pack with the Tornado, which will either (most likely) be a Level pack with an additional gadget (speculate away!), or a Fun pack with just the two figures. 

I can't see Tails or Knuckles coming separately, maybe Eggman at a push because of the potential for gadgets and vehicles, but even that seems unlikely with all the other franchises they've got to cram in there too. That's not to say I wouldn't happily be proven wrong, I'm just not as sold on the possibility.

Either way, we'll see lots of other characters and familiar locations in the Adventure World. I can't wait to see some LEGO badniks, for a start.

The out of the Level packs last time only 2 had only the level packs, and that was because they lack significant characters(Portal has very few playable options, and Midway, well they went 8-bit) . Out of the current Ip's Knight rider, A-Team, BeetleJuice, and ET are all likely Single packs. Both Story packs are unlikely to exceed 2 funpacks.

Sonic is one of the bigger of the announced IP's and has high odds of getting multiple packs, especially since they know us fans will just eat them up. Guess we just need to wait for them to reveal this series' release chart, although this one only has 4 waves

Honestly I think Sonic looks great all things considered. Body is a little weird but then that's lego, Sonic's a character that relies heavily on circular form while lego has always had that rectangular vibe. You can't really have it fully one way or the other. 

Anyone remember that Sonic "Kubrick" that sometimes makes the rounds on e-bay? That looks awful, at least they gave him a unique head mould here instead of standard Lego head with spikes stuck on. 

Also....Sonic Lego sets. Your own Green Hill displays. I would be all over that seriously

What a pleasant surprise! I'm glad Sonic's popping up in so much shit this decade, it's about on par with how it was in the 90's. I've never touched Lego Dimensions, but I'm not ashamed to say if I do buy it, it'll solely be for Sonic.

If I can get both the figure and game together for really cheap.

• Thumbs Up 5

14 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

Missed opportunity if Knuckles doesn't appear with his lego feet.

and don't forget this for an OVA version:

6075300.jpg

• Thumbs Up 7