Awoo.

Sonic is Coming to Lego Dimensions "Gotta LeGo Fast!"

Badnik Mechanic

Do we even know if any of the franchises represented in this game will get more than one or two characters?  Like, I don't think they're going to be able to fit the entire cast of Lego Batman 2 and 3, plus all the cast of Adventure Time, and all the members of the Scooby gang all in one game.  Even if they go the solo-Sonic route in this game (which I'm not saying they will, because it's literally impossible to know at this point), I doubt he'd be the only one.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Tara said:

Do we even know if any of the franchises represented in this game will get more than one or two characters? 

From that banner pic on page 4...I've noticed Adventure Time has 3 characters for some reason. So there could be more.

Tails could possibly be in the game, the Tornado could simply be his representative on that banner since it's been more associated with him more than Sonic.

1 hour ago, Chris Knopps said:

You know very well I'm not including spin-off's in that statement which is why you came with that response.

I'm speaking purely of main series titles, not cheap side titles, (one of which a canned failure.)

Yikes, sorry I asked 

I forget why I was thinking there'd be Sonic LEGO stuff back in 2014, but it appears that I've finally been vindicated.

This is certainly a very pleasant surprise, and it makes me ponder if a Sonic LEGO set isn't far off... I mean, may as well cash in, right? I imagine collectors and kids alike would eat Sonic LEGOs right up.

• Thumbs Up 7

3 minutes ago, Raccoonatic Ogilvie said:

I forget why I was thinking there'd be Sonic LEGO stuff back in 2014, but it appears that I've finally been vindicated.

This is certainly a very pleasant surprise, and it makes me ponder if a Sonic LEGO set isn't far off... I mean, may as well cash in, right? I imagine collectors and kids alike would eat Sonic LEGOs right up.

I know I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

38 minutes ago, Tara said:

Do we even know if any of the franchises represented in this game will get more than one or two characters?  Like, I don't think they're going to be able to fit the entire cast of Lego Batman 2 and 3, plus all the cast of Adventure Time, and all the members of the Scooby gang all in one game.  Even if they go the solo-Sonic route in this game (which I'm not saying they will, because it's literally impossible to know at this point), I doubt he'd be the only one.

Franchises so far range from anywhere between one and six playable characters - the higher amounts belonging to series like DC Comics, Lord of the Rings, The LEGO Movie and LEGO Ninjago.

The average seems to be around two or three for most franchises (like BTTF, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, Ghostbusters). But one is just as likely for a more outside addition like Sonic - look at the other gaming franchises, Portal 2 and Midway Arcade, they only got one pack each.

Basically, anything could happen at this point. If we assume the least then there's no room for disappointment, any bonus content will be a pleasant surprise.

To be honest though, the less packs the better. These things hurt your wallet hard, man.

• Thumbs Up 1

So yeah, that at least entails that there's no reason to believe that Sonic will be solo, but likewise gives us no reason to assume he won't.

3 hours ago, Tara said:

So yeah, that at least entails that there's no reason to believe that Sonic will be solo, but likewise gives us no reason to assume he won't.

Granted I'd love a confirmation proving otherwise.

Especially if it entailed Satam/Archie cast appearing finally. It's a game about crossing dimensions, right? Why stick Sonic with only one of his many in existence?

But... That's just me being a dreamer.

1 hour ago, Chris Knopps said:

Yes, but none important to the evolution of the future of the franchise on CONSOLES is my point.

Being a main title or spin-off on consoles, the fact remains when it comes to bigger games by and large it has been Sonic only no matter where the franchise has appeared. Other characters get an appearance, but that's as far as it has gone save for BOOM.

Multiple characters appear on mobiles because it require little to no effort to implement them, while console wise there's reasons expected, purposes and such. What passes on mobiles doesn't necessarily pass on consoles/handhelds.

Therein lying the reason I'm expecting solo-Sonic in this deal as well. More characters would be nice, but SEGA's made it clear they want to fix Sonic and his image first and foremost before the others regain focus. Bad? No. Irritating? Perhaps. But hopefully worth the wait.

Why are you singling out consoles? Every Sonic spinoff features many playable Sonic characters regardless of whether its on handhelds or consoles. SEGA & All-Stars Racing features no more than 2 characters per franchise at best, except for Sonic which got a ton of them. We haven't gotten as many Sonic spinoffs on consoles recently but they're still around, Mario & Sonic

Sure, this game is much bigger with a lot more IP's present, but a lot of the IP's here have several characters added to them.

Just now, Doctor MK said:

Franchises so far range from anywhere between one and six playable characters - the higher amounts belonging to series like DC Comics, Lord of the Rings, The LEGO Movie and LEGO Ninjago.

The average seems to be around two or three for most franchises (like BTTF, Doctor Who, The Simpsons, Ghostbusters). But one is just as likely for a more outside addition like Sonic - look at the other gaming franchises, Portal 2 and Midway Arcade, they only got one pack each.

Basically, anything could happen at this point. If we assume the least then there's no room for disappointment, any bonus content will be a pleasant surprise.

To be honest though, the less packs the better. These things hurt your wallet hard, man.

I'd be surprised if we only got one pack for Sonic, but you're right, anything could happen. If we get, say, the Tornado as Sonic's vehicle and the Master Emerald as the gadget, then I suppose we might only get one pack. Though it'd probably be the Chaos Emeralds as the gadget.

Admittedly, I thought there were way more characters than that.

Based on that list, although its true the other "gaming franchises" only got one pack each, Portal at least only really has one valid character option anyway, and its a small franchise with only two games. Sonic is among the top ten best selling video game franchises, so there is that. But if we got more, it'd probably be one Team Pack at best, and they might not go with the most obvious picks (such as Tails).

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

Granted I'd love a confirmation proving otherwise.

Especially if it entailed Satam/Archie cast appearing finally. It's a game about crossing dimensions, right? Why stick Sonic with only one of his many in existence?

But... That's just me being a dreamer.

Can't happen because Sega doesn't care much for the comic, not to mention they're not relevant to anyone outside of the US.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Sonic's Number 1 Fan said:

What's this thing about the tornado I keep hearing about? Was it shown off in something? I can't find anything about it anywhere :\

There's a red and yellow plane that appears under Sonic in the Promo art.

22 minutes ago, Doctor MK said:

I'm convinced that other characters will be added later down the line and the reason why portal didn't get anymore reps is because Chell is the only one that does anything and with Midway they don't have any characters. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Dejimon11 said:

I'm convinced that other characters will be added later down the line and the reason why portal didn't get anymore reps is because Chell is the only one that does anything and with Midway they don't have any characters. 

Not to mention the fact that once a franchise gets added in the first place, there's always the potential for more to be added later.

1 hour ago, Sonic's Number 1 Fan said:

Oh, now I see it. well, let's just hope that they be smart and make Sonic and flash the same speed to avoid mass controversy

Flash isn't playable yet, but I'd be shocked if he doesn't get added later.

Guys, I hope if you get this game, and use Sonic, you will be willing to work with limited choices.

Because Sonic only works in blue, and sometimes, very, very bright gold. Ha, see what I did there?

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, JaidynReiman said:

Why are you singling out consoles? Every Sonic spinoff features many playable Sonic characters regardless of whether its on handhelds or consoles. SEGA & All-Stars Racing features no more than 2 characters per franchise at best, except for Sonic which got a ton of them. We haven't gotten as many Sonic spinoffs on consoles recently but they're still around, Mario & Sonic

Yes, we've seen them, but have they evolved the franchise in any way? I've yet to see that. To me, although having other characters in spin-off titles is nice, if they're doing absolutely NOTHING for the main series, therein lies the problem. They're needed in the main games, new characters are as a whole really, therein lying another argument for the franchise devolving over time.

Paranoia on both SEGA and the fans part are playing a hand in the dwindling sales and recognition of the franchise. It's a world where one character alone doesn't sell a game, seeing the same people over and over without any change doesn't work. You need growth, you need options, you need new faces with the old to keep drawing people in with intrigue.

And as far as new locations being an argument...

Who would care about that when there's absolutely nobody new to meet in these locations? That's a basic necessity for most platformers. While one may argue using the Deadly Six, I'm speaking of more faces than just the monster/rip off of the week.

What are you going on about? Why are we talking about the state of SEGA, and other characters needing to evolve the franchise, in a topic about a Lego game that happens to have Sonic star in it? Why do they need to evolve anything to be considered? Not every Lego character is unique and special mind you btw. If they're popular and well requested or the devs see them as a positive addition, they'll do it.

• Thumbs Up 6

3 hours ago, KHCast said:

What are you going on about? Why are we talking about the state of SEGA, and other characters needing to evolve the franchise, in a topic about a Lego game that happens to have Sonic star in it? Why do they need to evolve anything to be considered? Not every Lego character is unique and special mind you btw. If they're popular and well requested or the devs see them as a positive addition, they'll do it.

Discussion of Sonic being either solo or with other characters in the LEGO title and how they also need other characters in the main series, not just apps or spin-off titles.

Not a hard conversation to understand really.

Ok. The rumors where true! Good to know that Sonic has a multiplattform presense again.

10 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

Discussion of Sonic being either solo or with other characters in the LEGO title and how they also need other characters in the main series, not just apps or spin-off titles.

Not a hard conversation to understand really.

...Yeah, but right now we're talking about Sonic appearing in Lego Dimensions. We're not talking about the main series, and I don't see why you're turning this into a discussion about the main series. No one here except you is talking about whether or not more playable characters are needed in the main series, hence people are confused why you're bringing it up.

By the way, while I'm not really interested in Lego games, I might as well weigh in on my opinion of Sonic's Lego look. Even though I generally don't like features being forced onto a fixed set of proportions (like these), and I find the minifigure look to be a bit overly ubiquitous and not really all that appealing on things other than actual toys, I...actually like it. Like someone else mentioned, the proportions of the arms and legs kind of remind me of classic Sonic. And while obviously Sonic has never had such an angular body shape, I can't really say it bothers me or takes away from his design in a significant way, considering it's not exactly supposed to look exactly like Sonic normally looks. Most of all, the head seems very nicely done. I mean, considering what it is, I just don't have anything significant to complain about. I actually think he looks nicer than Lego Superman :P

Overall, despite it not being something that I myself play or am interested in, I am really happy Sonic is getting something else exciting for his 25th. It's about time they had a Lego Sonic, anyway!

• Thumbs Up 8

18 hours ago, Forte-Metallix said:

Can't happen because Sega doesn't care much for the comic, not to mention they're not relevant to anyone outside of the US.

There might also be legal issues too what with DiC/Cookie Jar/DHX and all but I suppose it could just be that Sega doesn't care I guess.

22 hours ago, Forte-Metallix said:

His game is not being developed by Sega, only licensed, and is being made for the American market.  They have a chance now. At the very least we could see scrapped characters. 

24 minutes ago, Miru said:

His game is not being developed by Sega, only licensed, and is being made for the American market.  They have a chance now. At the very least we could see scrapped characters. 

This is being developed for a global market. Lego is not a uniquely American brand, if anything it's a Dutch brand.

• Thumbs Up 3

46 minutes ago, Miru said:

They have a chance now. At the very least we could see scrapped characters. 

That chance is 0%.

• Thumbs Up 4

12 minutes ago, Detective Hogfather said:

That chance is 0%.

Why? It is developed by Traveller's Tales instead of SEGA. We saw SWATbots in Chronicles, many cameos and mentions in Generations, and more.

17 minutes ago, Miru said:

Why? It is developed by Traveller's Tales instead of SEGA. We saw SWATbots in Chronicles, many cameos and mentions in Generations, and more.

Yeah and what did they all have in common, they were SONIC games. This is a Lego game, it's not going to feature characters outside of the iconic ones becasue nobody outside the fanbase knows or cares who they are.

You want an idea as to what to expect, look at the current franchises and look at what characters from them appear. It's ones which range from everybody knowing or at least recognising.

• Thumbs Up 6