Awoo.

Sonic is Coming to Lego Dimensions "Gotta LeGo Fast!"

Badnik Mechanic

2 hours ago, Sonic's Number 1 Fan said:

I'd be extremely disappointed if they don't make a Sonic Screwdriver joke

They already did. Check the Facebook post, in the comments. Look for verified icons.

3 hours ago, Detective Hogfather said:

Yeah and what did they all have in common, they were SONIC games. This is a Lego game, it's not going to feature characters outside of the iconic ones becasue nobody outside the fanbase knows or cares who they are.

You want an idea as to what to expect, look at the current franchises and look at what characters from them appear. It's ones which range from everybody knowing or at least recognising.

So this means we'd be lucky to see characters like Omega?

Okay, but if the Deadly Six appear I'm gonna cry foul inside.

8 hours ago, Detective Hogfather said:

Yeah and what did they all have in common, they were SONIC games. This is a Lego game, it's not going to feature characters outside of the iconic ones becasue nobody outside the fanbase knows or cares who they are.

You want an idea as to what to expect, look at the current franchises and look at what characters from them appear. It's ones which range from everybody knowing or at least recognising.

Well golly gee... I guess this doesn't sound like an opportunity at all to change that does it Hog?

Granted if other characters aside Sonic are to be expected, the most common belief would be to see the most popular, you're spot on about that, but then again the comic/Satam cast are just as popular in their own right as some of the most popular game characters.

It's an opportunity to widen things up for the franchise, open new doors, and although it's unlikely to happen, hopefully it will someday.

Lego dimensions as a whole from what I can see only uses the iconic or well known characters from each brand used. I highly doubt they'd make an exception for Sonic.

59 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Well golly gee... I guess this doesn't sound like an opportunity at all to change that does it Hog

No it doesn't. See the post you quoted as to why.

• Thumbs Up 7

3 hours ago, Detective Hogfather said:

No it doesn't. See the post you quoted as to why.

See the post I made responding to you as well.

"the comic/Satam cast are just as popular in their own right as some of the most popular game characters."

It's as I stated, you're spot on about most popular cast being the central focus, but both the game and archie cast have an equivalent level of popularity on their own ways.

Your issue is likely a matter of personal indifference to the cast, or outright detest.

12 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

See the post I made responding to you as well.

"the comic/Satam cast are just as popular in their own right as some of the most popular game characters."

It's as I stated, you're spot on about most popular cast being the central focus, but both the game and archie cast have an equivalent level of popularity on their own ways.

Your issue is likely a matter of personal indifference to the cast, or outright detest.

Where is the proof of that? I can probably guarantee asking a random gamer or person on the street that knows who Sonic is likely will go "who?", if you ask about any of the comic characters. And the SATAM cast has been out of public eye for so long outside the comics, that most that watched the show back then probably can't even name anyone there.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, KHCast said:

Where is the proof of that? I can probably guarantee asking a random gamer or person on the street that knows who Sonic is likely will go "who?", if you ask about any of the comic characters.

"in their own right"

Meaning in their own ways they are. It depends on the type of fan you're asking. Keep in mind there are as many kinds of Sonic fans as there are colors in the rainbow. I'd say stars in the sky, but that's an exaggeration.

There would have to be a massive following for Archie to continue their comic series, not to mention art sites such as DeviantArt which constantly feature art of the cast.

Again, it's a matter of personal indifference/detest towards the cast that determines ones outlook on this subject. The proof is in the fact the comic series continues to this day and continues to show a massive and dedicated amount of fans all over the internet.

I do hope it isn't an intention to turn this into a "f@$k Archie characters!" matter. Correct?

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

"in their own right"

Meaning in their own ways they are. It depends on the type of fan you're asking. Keep in mind there are as many kinds of Sonic fans as there are colors in the rainbow. I'd say stars in the sky, but that's an exaggeration.

There would have to be a massive following for Archie to continue their comic series, not to mention art sites such as DeviantArt which constantly feature art of the cast.

Again, it's a matter of personal indifference/detest towards the cast that determines ones outlook on this subject. The proof is in the fact the comic series continues to this day and continues to show a massive and dedicated amount of fans all over the internet.

But this Lego game isn't just looking at Sonic fans, it's looking at fans of Lego and all the franchises in the game so far. So a much larger audience, and that audience only really cares about the immediate well known iconic characters of said franchises included, as they understand there's a limited amount of space for each franchise.

• Thumbs Up 2

But this Lego game isn't just looking at Sonic fans, it's looking at fans of Lego and all the franchises in the game so far. So a much larger audience, and that audience only really cares about the immediate well known iconic characters of said franchises included, as they understand there's a limited amount of space for each franchise.

That's my point though. It's not looking at any specific portion of fans in any specific portion of any franchise. Famous characters from throughout various franchises existence as a whole is a welcomed concept in a title like this, and being a "dimensions" sort of game, more than one reality in a franchise has opportunity to exist within.

It's potential, nothing but potential. Expansion essentially. But it determines the willingness to do so.

I do expect it to be the usual tried and true cast however. I'm just talking about the potential, which will likely go to waste despite the following that exists for more than just the game portion of the franchise, something the comics reflect as being one in the same now as well.

Another thing to keep in mind is how full of "comic" characters the game is, as a valid argument.

The game portion of the franchise is what people relate to sonic more though. Sonic was always and always will be a game franchise first. Honestly, they'd probably be better off adding characters like the Cream, Big and Silver that are lesser known/cared about, but still are recognized by many. It's not like Smash Bros, where a character I wouldn't know I'd still try out of curiosity and see if I like them since I'd have to shell out actual money outside the base game to take a chance on them here.

The game portion of the franchise is what people relate to sonic more though. Sonic was always and always will be a game franchise first. Honestly, they'd probably be better off adding characters like the Cream, Big and Silver that are lesser known/cared about, but still are recognized by many. It's not like Smash Bros, where a character I wouldn't know I'd still try out of curiosity and see if I like them since I'd have to shell out actual money outside the base game to take a chance on them here.

Despite the comics often being touted as the best Sonic thing that exists nowadays.

Again, it all depends on what portion of the fan base you're talking about. Nowadays the amount of people into the comics and its cast likely equals that of the amount into the games.

Aware of it or not, while interest in the games have decreased over time, save for the apps, the interest in the comic series has grown on a constant level since the staff replacement behind the plots and such and especially after the reboot. If we're talking which is most popular, it's a safe bet to say the comics likely win by a long shot, which is why I'd consider exploring the cast from the series a worthwhile experiment.

And no, if BOOM has proven anything, that second sentence is no longer relevant.

How has Boom changed that Sonic is still heavily associated by the general populace as a game franchise first and foremost? And again, where are your statistics about the comics coming from? Are you talking about general interest(general population) in them rivaling the games popularity or just the Sonic fanbase as a whole being interested in the comics as much as the games?

Ok seriously Chris I really don't think you know what you're talking about. 

• Thumbs Up 1

How has Boom changed that Sonic is still heavily associated by the general populace as a game franchise first and foremost? And again, where are your statistics about the comics coming from? Are you talking about general interest(general population) or the Sonic fanbase?

BOOM has shown the Sonic franchise doesn't need to be game centric to survive/succeed. The show and toys have done far better than the games as a whole if I'm not mistaken, and BOOM was made with the show in mind first and foremost, all else simply complimenting it.

And I know full and well what I'm talking about Dejimon11, it's again a matter of ones own indifference/detest towards the content I'm talking about. The idea of the comics being a success, potentially more-so than the games, is a sickening thought to many, but it's a possibility that's growing over time.

I just find this Dimensions thing a worthwhile chance of inserting comic cast into the deal, since there's a bounty of comic characters in the game.

As little as I know about it, it still seems clear to me that the main point of Lego Dimensions is to showcase a bunch of different franchises, not to showcase a bunch of different iterations of each individual franchise. I mean, if you're going to have a mega-crossover like this, your first thought (or even your seventy-fifth thought) isn't going to be showcasing the nitty-gritty of each franchise, such as American-only adaptions that have a niche audience. That would just be, well, too much. Just covering all the different franchises that are involved is work enough; you can't cover every sub-franchise within each franchise.
Even if the Archie/SatAM characters are of some importance, I would say it's practically inarguable that they're less important than Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, etc. Considering that they probably aren't going to add more than a few characters at most, why they would reach for characters that haven't appeared in a single Sonic video game and are generally less known or cared about among non-Sonic fans when they could just go for those characters is totally and completely beyond me.

Also:

7 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Despite the comics often being touted as the best Sonic thing that exists nowadays.

Again, it all depends on what portion of the fan base you're talking about. Nowadays the amount of people into the comics and its cast likely equals that of the amount into the games.

Aware of it or not, while interest in the games have decreased over time, save for the apps, the interest in the comic series has grown on a constant level since the staff replacement behind the plots and such and especially after the reboot. If we're talking which is most popular, it's a safe bet to say the comics likely win by a long shot, which is why I'd consider exploring the cast from the series a worthwhile experiment.

And no, if BOOM has proven anything, that second sentence is no longer relevant.

...I think you're making a lot of assumptions there. Just because you've heard a lot of people in the Sonic fandom proclaiming the virtues of the Archie Sonic comics (which could potentially include me even :P) doesn't mean that this interest extends to a general audience. I mean, the comics are "often touted as the best Sonic thing that exists nowadays" by some Sonic fans, but have you ever heard anyone who's not a fan of the Sonic video games say that? Heck, when was the last time you heard someone who's not a fan of the Sonic video games in at least some small capacity say anything about the Sonic comics? It seems to me that the Sonic comic fandom is ultimately a sub-set of the Sonic game fandom, so it doesn't exactly make sense to claim that there are "as many comics fan as there are games fans" when those comics fans are also games fans.

But most importantly:

38 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

And I know full and well what I'm talking about Dejimon11, it's again a matter of ones own indifference/detest towards the content I'm talking about. The idea of the comics being a success, potentially more-so than the games, is a sickening thought to many, but it's a possibility that's growing over time.

What the heck? Don't make assumptions about people like that. Literally no one said a single mildly negative word about the SatAM/Archie cast. Assuming stuff about people's motives in order to discount their opinion is a very bad practice in any discussion. Seriously, stop this and don't ever do it again.

• Thumbs Up 8

8 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

BOOM has shown the Sonic franchise doesn't need to be game centric to survive/succeed. The show and toys have done far better than the games as a whole if I'm not mistaken, and BOOM was made with the show in mind first and foremost, all else simply complimenting it.

I just find this Dimensions thing a worthwhile chance of inserting comic cast into the deal, since there's a bounty of comic characters in the game.

But Boom is still making games, theres a topic about a upcoming Boom game. Even if the games aren't the big focus, it's still a large part of the series that isn't being ignored by SEGA.

and those comic characters are already established and iconic amoung the general populace, so it makes sense to see Batman in there...

3 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

As little as I know about it, it still seems clear to me that the main point of Lego Dimensions is to showcase a bunch of different franchises, not to showcase a bunch of different iterations of each individual franchise. I mean, if you're going to have a mega-crossover like this, your first thought (or even your seventy-fifth thought) isn't going to be showcasing the nitty-gritty of each franchise, such as American-only adaptions that have a niche audience. That would just be, well, too much. Just covering all the different franchises that are involved is work enough; you can't cover every sub-franchise within each franchise.
Even if the Archie/SatAM characters are of some importance, I would say it's practically inarguable that they're less important than Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, etc. Considering that they probably aren't going to add more than a few characters at most, why they would reach for characters that haven't appeared in a single Sonic video game and are generally less known or cared about among non-Sonic fans when they could just go for those characters is totally and completely beyond me.

Also:

...I think you're making a lot of assumptions there. Just because you've heard a lot of people in the Sonic fandom proclaiming the virtues of the Archie Sonic comics (which could potentially include me even :P) doesn't mean that this interest extends to a general audience. I mean, the comics are "often touted as the best Sonic thing that exists nowadays" by some Sonic fans, but have you ever heard anyone who's not a fan of the Sonic video games say that? Heck, when was the last time you heard someone who's not a fan of the Sonic video games in at least some small capacity say anything about the Sonic comics? It seems to me that the Sonic comic fandom is ultimately a sub-set of the Sonic game fandom, so it doesn't exactly make sense to claim that there are "as many comics fan as there are games fans" when those comics fans are also games fans.

But most importantly:

What the heck? Don't make assumptions about people like that. Literally no one said a single mildly negative word about the SatAM/Archie cast. Assuming stuff about people's motives in order to discount their opinion is a very bad practice in any discussion. Seriously, stop this and don't ever do it again.

Those tend to be the people that DO say it, fans who've lost interest in the games and thus picked up the comics. Also, if somebody isn't a fan of the games, nor' the comics due to a potential reason I stated, then they likely are unaware of Sonic as a whole save for a blue spiky animal, in which case you naturally wouldn't expect them to say anything.

It was a matter of using the general reason as to why most bring up any issues with or "will never happen" responses into a Satam/Archie related conversation. The primary reasoning most have is out of personal indifference/detest for the cast, which I grouped together current comments into that category.

Nonetheless, it won't be done again.

3 hours ago, Sonic's Number 1 Fan said:

um... this is kinda getting a little argumenty...? should we try to talk about some other thing about this?

Welcome to the Sonic fan base my friend, sit around and spin a while.

But... Agreed... I do wonder what add-on content this means for Sonic, hopefully more than just something revolving Green Hill, personally I'd love to see some Starlight Zone stuff.

As someone who has no idea what LEGO Dimensions is, what's a level pack?

3 minutes ago, sansy said:

As someone who has no idea what LEGO Dimensions is, what's a level pack?

Basically, they unlock mission-based levels that are standalone from the main campaign. They contain a minifigure related to the franchise in question, along with a vehicle and a gadget-- both of which have three forms each.

Anyway, it's great to hear Sonic is most likely getting one of these. I can't wait to see what they use for the vehicle and gadget (though the Tornado is a safe bet for the vehicle) and what forms they have.

3 minutes ago, sansy said:

So does that mean there's going to be missions with Sonic involved?

Yep. And I am definitely looking forward to seeing what new adventures TT can come up with. Should be fun.

3 hours ago, sansy said:

So does that mean there's going to be missions with Sonic involved?

Well, less like "missions" and more like a single level with varying length. For example, these are the current level packs' contents:

Back to the Future & Ghostbusters - Short abridged versions of their respective first films, with some differences here-and-there.

Simpsons - A cut-down adaptation of an episode from the series.

Doctor Who - (From what I understand) Entirely new, longer level that plays out like an episode of the series.

Midway Arcade - Entirely new, unique level focused on playing arcade games.

So, Sonic could range from any of the above. If I had to wager a guess, I'd say that he'll have something similar to the last two (i.e. not a straight-up adaptation of something).

• Thumbs Up 6