Awoo.

Cruis'n Adventure is coming to arcades

Hero of Legend

crusinadventure1.jpg

Your eyes do not deceive you, Nintendo's Cruis'n series, originating in arcades from a collaboration between Nintendo and Midway with three games; Cruis'n USA, Cruis'n World, and Cruis'n Exotica, all on arcades and later ported to N64 by various devs, is being revived from the franchise creator Eugene Jarvis' company Raw Thrills.

Raw Thrills already made their successor to Cruis'n in the Fast & Furious arcade racers. Basically taking the Cruis'n gameplay (and maybe engine) and putting the F&F skin on it. Those ran for a number of years in the 2000's and ended with The Fast & The Furious: Super Cars in 2010/2011.

Cruis'n did get two games after the initial arcade trilogy, one on GBA called Cruis'n Velocity, developed by a company called Graphic State Games, and one with the plain title Cruis'n on the Wii developed by Just Games Interactive. The latter is actually a port/adaptation of the first Fast & Furious game by Raw Thrills, but... the results weren't exactly... good.

Fast forward to 2016, and the original is out of the 90's and back with a vengeance! Arcade Heroes has the scoop:

Confirmed that this has been licensed from Nintendo. Raw Thrills also confirmed for me the following: “That cabinet is just a test cabinet, for production it’s much cooler. Cruisn is designed from scratch, completely new engine. Basically what you see there is only a small fraction of what the game will be.”

More in the link above.

So yeah! :D

Hopefully Sumo Digital, who's done arcade-to-console ports of racing games before (such as OutRun 2 on Xbox) will be first in line to do this on NX (unless Raw Thrills do it themselves, but that's unlikely as they don't really do console development). It's too late for a Wii U version, this isn't even done yet and may not be until NX is nearly out the door in March 2017! It would make a great launch title in the vein of Excite Truck I'd think. :)

• Thumbs Up 5

I own and enjoyed of the N64 ports of Cruis'n USA and Cruis'n World (I always wanted to play the third game Cruis'n Exotica, but I never got the chance).

Pretty happy to see that Cruis'n is back, especially after how the crappy dolled-up Wii installment sank what could had been an okay revival. I'm pretty curious as to how the new entry fares.

• Thumbs Up 4

Mother-Of-God.jpg

My all time favorite racing game series of all time is making a return?!

I sure hope since Nintendo is doing the licensing the chances of a consoles release are likely (alongside remastered arcade ports of USA, World, and Exotica).

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, CD Sanic said:

Mother-Of-God.jpg

My all time favorite racing game series of all time is making a return?!

I sure hope since Nintendo is doing the licensing the chances of a consoles release are likely (alongside remastered arcade ports of USA, World, and Exotica).

Cruis'n has never missed a console port, I think it's a sure thing! :) Fingers crossed!

• Thumbs Up 2

In any case let's honor the series's return by getting a nostalgia boner from the Cruis'n World theme

• Thumbs Up 4

16 hours ago, CD Sanic said:

In any case let's honor the series's return by getting a nostalgia boner from the Cruis'n World theme

My god all those times my cousin and me would just be sat in his room doing the two player arcade mode for this just pretty much hit me in the face like a truck with nostalgia. Yeah, color me hyped for this if it gets a console port, I loved cruis'n world back when I was a kid and this announcement has put in the mood to play it again :D

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well this is a nice surprise!

Not only that this is a new arcade racing game but also the first time in a good while since we got a Cruis'n game (the last one was a sad to say this a poor port of the good The Fast and the Furious arcade game). Looks good and I'm sure that it is going to play great when it is finished. Sadly most of the arcades have gone where I have access to so there is little chance of playing it. I think the last Raw Thrills racing game that I was the Fast and Furious bike one, haven't seen the Batman or any others that they did apart from the original and the bike one. Like Hero of Legend says, hope to get a port of this game even though most Raw Thrills games weren't ported.

I've played and completed Cruis'n USA, both the arcade version and the Nintendo 64 port (have the cartridge). Enjoyed it from start to finish, it might not be the best arcade racing game but it was fun with all sorts of vehicles to choose from (including the school bus and the police car) and the variety of the locations with a touch of humour. Plus the music was pretty good and fitting. Would have loved to play Cruis'n World since from what I've read/heard/saw to be an even better game but it didn't make it to the Virtual Console, the others just didn't make it outside of the US. Was hoping that it would have made it to the Wii U but it didn't.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 5/6/2016 at 9:04 AM, Detective Hero of Legend said:

Your eyes do not deceive you, Nintendo's Cruis'n series, originating in arcades from a collaboration between Nintendo and Midway with three games; Cruis'n USA, Cruis'n World, and Cruis'n Exotica, all on arcades and later ported to N64 by various devs, is being revived from the franchise creator Eugene Jarvis' company Raw Thrills.

I was so weirded out by this, reading it in the topic list until I found out the creator of Cruis'n is also behind Raw Thrills- which explains something else I've always wondered- where Raw Thrills came from, and why Raw Thrills' arcade games are actually really fun when they look like they should be garbage. Really good!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, It'll be interesting to see if it winds up being a launch title for NX, especially since it'd be a surprise to anyone who doesn't follow the arcade scene. If it's solid on the formula, has fun car options, it'll be a perfect nostalgia pull, and we haven't had a real arcade racing title release in a while, and Cruis'n has a good legacy pull

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Seems the game's title has been changed from Cruis'n Adventure to Cruis'n Redline, also...We've got footage!!!

Looks like the tracks are as over the top as the ones in Cruis'n Exotica!...

• Thumbs Up 1

That looks really fun! It hits all the right nostalgia notes, too, and it feels so good to see the Nintendo logo on the cabinet.

I was a huge fan of the Cruis'n games growing up and played USA and Exotica on the N64 almost incessantly (we only rented World and never owned it for some reason). Really hoping this gets a console port of some kind, even if just as a downloadable title, so I can relive those... *ahem*... raw thrills. don't hurt me

Also, "Redline" is an interesting name change. I wonder if it's a reference to "Redline Shuffle," the very first song you hear during a race in USA:

• Thumbs Up 1

Sounds like tons of stuff thats been integrated for a home port when it comes to customization. Also this would be a great NX launch title, being one of Nintendo's more obscure series(not to mention every entry in the series has gotten a home port). Well, that and why would Nintendo let them use the license again unless they wanted to leverage for home as well?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

New pic, courtesy of Arcade Heroes:

cruisnnew1.jpg

Despite the seats still sporting the Redline name, the title has changed once again to simply "Cruis'n" (not to be confused with the... unfortunate Wii title). Raw Thrills has apparently confirmed that a final title hasn't been decided yet. Also of note is the Nintendo logo, which is still as prominent as ever.

Personally, I still hope they go with "Cruis'n Adventure," but maybe it's because a certain series has warmed me up to using that word in titles.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

So, UPDATE, new Name, final revision design

http://gonintendo.com/stories/266295-cruis-n-redline-gets-new-cabinet-name-and-more-details#comments

Cruis'n Redline gets new cabinet, name and more details

05 October, 2016 by rawmeatcowboy | Comments: 3

cruisnblastcabinet.jpg

cruisnpressrelease.jpg

- renamed Cruis’n Blast

- card system removed and replaced with a keypad for a save system

- game features “100% different code” and was put together by a different team at Raw Thrills from the Fast and Furious team

- devs aimed for more of a “joyride feel”

- locations include London, Madagascar, Rio De Janeiro, Singapore, Death Valley and more

- there are licensed vehicles

- will be released to arcades worldwide in January 2017

• Thumbs Up 1

Never really played any of the Cruis'n games, aside from the N64 one, which I don't remember much of. From some gameplay I saw, they look pretty fun. Hopefully this one will get an console release, as there's no Arcades near me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Calling a GTX 750ti state of the art really makes me sad. Remember when SEGA's arcade cabinets were fitted out with lockheed martin tech- insanely advanced compared to home hardware? Model 2 games legit looked like they game from the future. 

Still glad raw thrills makes these though even if there's maybe 1 arcade left it melbourne. Hopefully I'll be able to play it!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

New trailer dropped a few days ago.

Still seems reminiscent of the Fast & Furious games, but I like how bright and colorful everything is. Nice to see those cheesy vocals return too. Five tracks really doesn't seem like much, though; hopefully there will be some kind of update post-launch.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Metal the Mario said:

New trailer dropped a few days ago.

Still seems reminiscent of the Fast & Furious games, but I like how bright and colorful everything is. Nice to see those cheesy vocals return too. Five tracks really doesn't seem like much, though; hopefully there will be some kind of update post-launch.

Yeah, in this day and age more tracks post launch are likely. Also it's got wheelies and flips again! This is screaming of NX launch

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Yeah, in this day and age more tracks post launch are likely. Also it's got wheelies and flips again! This is screaming of NX launch

Ah, I was going to mention that too. Wasn't sure if those were previously in the Fast & Furious games as well. The stunts and drifting definitely give me Cruis'n World/Exotica vibes.

This would be an amazing candidate for the Switch launch lineup, if only to have the opportunity to play a console/arcade-quality Cruis'n game on the go.

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh, man! This looks really fun. I love the visuals and how laughably bad the vocals are.

5 tracks seems a bit too small, but understandable, since it's an Arcade game. Still, hoping they'll add in new tracks if they ever port this game to consoles.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks fun, and seems to be a definite throwback to the N64/arcade Cruis'n games; though only five tracks is a bit of a bummer. That said, I don't think it will come to the Switch. Raw Thrills has historically never ported their games to consoles, and the one time one of their games was ported (The Fast and The Furious > Cruis'n Wii) was not done by Raw Thrills themselves, and was a notorious disaster.

Since Nintendo owns the rights to the series, the next best thing would be for to commission their own Cruis'n game, either developed internally or outsourced. Though I don't know if Nintendo would even be interested in doing so.

30 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Looks fun, and seems to be a definite throwback to the N64/arcade Cruis'n games; though only five tracks is a bit of a bummer. That said, I don't think it will come to the Switch. Raw Thrills has historically never ported their games to consoles, and the one time one of their games was ported (The Fast and The Furious > Cruis'n Wii) was not done by Raw Thrills themselves, and was a notorious disaster.

Since Nintendo owns the rights to the series, the next best thing would be for to commission their own Cruis'n game, either developed internally or outsourced. Though I don't know if Nintendo would even be interested in doing so.

They commisioned this one, and while Raw Thrills hasn't ported it's founder is the same guy who created cruis'n and had a hand in the original ports. Team him up with M2 or one of Nintendo's development teams to port and add console features and it wouldn't be unlikely.

• 3 weeks later...

Some good hands-on footage from IAAPA 2016.

This definitely looks quite promising so far. A nice amount of new mechanics and visuals to set it apart from the F&F games with enough references to remind the player of the Cruis'n games of old. Also:

Spoiler

0:52... the cows explode into chunks of meat when you hit them like in the arcade version of World.

Sold.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

Ok, new arcade version of the final model

There are bonus vehicles! This is so getting a switch port(feels like a when, not an if). I mean why would Nintendo let Raw Thrills use the name again unless they wanted a port

Also there are bonus vehicles, such as a Triceratops, and a helicopter!

• Thumbs Up 1