Awoo.

Crisis City in Sonic Generations

AIBOUU

A few weeks ago I finally put my hands on Sonic Generations (which isn't so easy here in Poland) I had so much fun with this game, yet the CC level existence is bothering me. I mean how is this possible to Time Eater to find an non existing timeline ? Sonic 06 never happend so CC was never a thing. I think do realize that not including such a game as 06 in 20 sonic anniversary would be strange (after all it's resembling-like it or not- Sonic next gen), yet it feels like people doing SG plot didn't do any research on that. They just put CC in the game without any deeper thought on it. 

And what do you think ? If I missed something just let me know. (Also sorry for weak english, I hope everyone was able to understand me.)

Well I would to ask another question like why does the Metal Sonic bossfight takes place in the Bad Future version of Stardust Speedway but then you realize that the Death Egg MK II is still covering the Little Planet because we'll never get an Episode III so yeah. But then again, I can ask the question how did Blaze get to Sonic's world when she's from a different dimension (and I swear if it's because of "Sol Control")

But honestly, the reason for why Crisis City is in it is outside of the game, Gens' plot is barebones and is pretty much an excuse plot. Sonic and his friends were sent to the White Space and the Sonics have to work together to regain back the lost worlds (ayyyy) of the past through the power of fast. It's pretty much a throwaway plot, I mean I guess a lazy excuse can be that the Time Eater has the power to restore worlds of "removed" timelines of Sonic into the White Space or something like that so yeah whatever. Why should I care about Gens' story if the story doesn't give me much to care about? It's not even canon anyways.

• Thumbs Up 5

To be fair the whole Blaze thing is a total mess. She was popular in Rush so sonic team decided to use her. That would be cool if not the fact that Blaze existence is wrong ANYWHERE outside her world. 06 did it all wrong, I mean the dimension we know from Sonic Rush is most probably where Blaze sealed Iblis and herself. But then why the line "Blue hedgehog ?" After all is sonic rush before or after 06 ? If its before then what the hell is Blaze doing in the sol dimension ?! Also she'd know Sonic so why wouldn't say anything about him to Silver ? And if its after then why isn't Iblis in that world ? Oh man, many plotholes makes many questions, huh ? I don't think I should take 06 srsly cuz it's full of plotholes and other shit, yet that's what happens when Sonic games tries to have a decent, deep plot. If it goes for Sonic CD thing and the whole Stardust Speedway level I can't really tell cuz I haven't played this game. (Although I heard it's pretty good.)

Sonic 06 had to have happened for the events in it to be erased.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well 06 was clearly an attempt to reboot the series in a way, so at that point Blaze's origins in Rush were ignored but since it fell flat in its face and pretty removed itself from canon, it was whatever. Any attempt at hinting about how Blaze would know Sonic is pretty point pointless since Silver seems to be the only character who acknowledges her existence since everyone else doesn't talk to her, pretty much ignoring her existence.

But if you wanna nitpick about these, there's a Sonic nitpick topic that's head over heels about this.

Okay, but the events were finally erased and CC was never created ( at least not thw way we saw it in 06) so what is this location doing in SG along with Silver and Blaze ?

3 hours ago, sansy said:

It's not even canon anyways.

...Says who?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, AIBOUU said:

Okay, but the events were finally erased and CC was never created ( at least not thw way we saw it in 06) so what is this location doing in SG along with Silver and Blaze ?

The Time Eater can manipulate time. At some point in the timeline, Crisis City existed, but it's been erased, it's not too outlandish to presume the Time Eater can bring Crisis City back by reaching into the point in time before it was erased.

Think of it as a fixed point in time, something that needs to exist to keep time balanced, even after it was removed.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Singapore Sling said:

...Says who?

Tons of people, tho. Yet to be fair its unclear if gens canon or not. Gens plot is acting like everything in sonic universe is canon sooo... yet i dont think that sonic's 20 anniversary game could not be canon, tho.

3 minutes ago, Ratcicle King said:

The Time Eater can manipulate time. At some point in the timeline, Crisis City existed, but it's been erased, it's not too outlandish to presume the Time Eater can bring Crisis City back by reaching into the point in time before it was erased.

Think of it as a fixed point in time, something that needs to exist to keep time balanced, even after it was removed.

I know i know.... its understandble dat time eater can bring back things from the past. "Time Eater can bring Crisis City back by reaching into the point in time before it was erase". Wat ? How can you reach back to the times that doesn't exist anymore ? Its impossible. I bet time eater wouldn be even aware of 06 existence. The timeline with Iblis at this point never existed isnt exsisting and never will. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Thing is, there are many theories as to how time works, it's not as simple as ''it being erased from the timeline means it never happened''. There are alternate timelines, Crisis City could still exist as that. There are events that are far removed from the timeline, but happened at some point. There are fixed points, events that even if you erase everything surrounding them, still exist in the timeline because they're too important for the timeflow to just be erased.

I love Sonic, but...

The Sonic timeline now is more messed up than the one from Legend of Zelda.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not really i dont think 06 timeline could exist as another timeline, cuz the point was to erese it from existance you know, yet i dont know myself xd i think its all too complicated for me 

2 minutes ago, Stardust said:

I love Sonic, but...

The Sonic timeline now is more messed up than the one from Legend of Zelda.

I know right ? :')

I think the easiest way to explain it is this:

Sonic 06 happened

Sonic 06 was erased

For Sonic 06 to be erased, it had to happen, you can't erase something that doesn't exist

So even being erased, at some point, that's now far removed from time itself, Sonic 06 happened. Time Eater went into that point and dragged Crisis City back to the main timeline, and once he was beaten, the place went back to the point it was: Removed from the timeline.

• Thumbs Up 3

This confusion you're feeling because Sonic's story is fragmented is a problem I tried to bring up in this topic. It was basically about Generations. It pointed out the same problems with Blaze being there, as well as other characters who don't really have a relationship with Sonic, but were forced into the more recent games of the franchise anyway: https://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/20959-sonic-so-many-characters-and-so-little-context/

If you feel like it, you can check anytime you want to some of the comments there and see what opinions people had about the issue. ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh I really wish they had cut-scenes for this level. Seeing Mephiles try and be all dark and serious just for Sonic to be all "lemme stop there" and break the moment confusing Mephiles would have been fucking hilarious.

Think of the timeline as a root, branching and varied, accounting for every senario including game overs, bad futures etc. 

What i think happened to 06 was they 'cut off' a part of the root, or damage it. Hence the timeline is technically not canon

As for Gens, what the time eater did was to take all existing roots including the damaged one, and twist them together forming the white space.

Just my theory.

crisis city has the best music.

3 hours ago, caseykz said:

Hence the timeline is technically not canon

Every nerd needs to be taken out into a shed and beaten in the head with a baseball bat until they learn what the word canon means.

• Thumbs Up 2

Think of Back to the Future. When Marty and Doc fixed the bad timeline, that timeline, and those events still happened. 06 happened, but it didn't at the same time. It's far removed simply, kinda in a weird limbo space where it can't effect anything, but is still happening. It's been erased in the current Sonic's timeline perception. Only difference is with 06, the characters have no memory of the events.  Technically the actual ending of 06 could be considered canon, further implying that again, those events that resulted in the creation of that ending had to have happened.

My favorite explanation is Ian Flynn's, which says that Time Eater is the reincarnation of Mephiles from Sonic 06, so his timeline where Crisis City exists merges with Sonic's, where it doesn't. Until Sega comes up with a counter statement, that might as well be the reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Ratcicle King said:

I think the easiest way to explain it is this:

Sonic 06 happened

Sonic 06 was erased

If Sonic 06 was erased, for it to be erased, it had to happen, you can't erase something that doesn't exist

So even being erased, at some point, that's now far removed from time itself, Sonic 06 happened. Time Eater went into that point and dragged Crisis City back to the main timeline, and once he was beaten, the place went back to the point it was: Removed from the timeline.

...Oh my head...

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

...Oh my head...

This right here is why Time Travel as a plot device must be handled better in any media, unless you make clear and simple rules and then apply them to the plot in an easy to understand way, not overusing it, the entire thing becomes a convoluted mess, no clear rules and no explanation to what the hell is going on, time travel is the worst fucking plot device when used by someone who can't make a cohesive story.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Ratcicle King said:

This right here is why Time Travel as a plot device must be handled better in any media, unless you make clear and simple rules and then apply them to the plot in an easy to understand way, not overusing it, the entire thing becomes a convoluted mess, no clear rules and no explanation to what the hell is going on, time travel is the worst fucking plot device when used by someone who can't make a cohesive story.

Then you've got the whole "do they still know/remember one another?" debate thanks to that final CGi scene...

That game... I love it, I hate it, and it kills my head.

We all love to theorize. I like coming up with whackjob theories, even if they're unlikely to actually be canon.

In regards to this, though, at some point I just decided "it's just a game, I really should relax." I'm easy to please, and I don't feel like letting continuity issues get in the way of my enjoyment.

But hey, people like coming up with theories, so I'm not complaining. Just stating my stance on it.

Essentially there are a lot of solid theories, but theories and headcanons are all we have for this one, so believe whichever one appeals to you the most.

The real answer is that Sonic Team didn't care, they were just representing games, not the canon lore of Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 4

I never really cared for the idea that the Time Eater is Mephiles. Feels like it's just trying to connect things for the sake of connecting things.

But anyway, Crisis City exists in Generations primarily because they wanted an iconic stage from every major game in the series. Generations focused on gameplay and fanservice above all else, so "lore" isn't really important.

• Thumbs Up 1