Awoo.

Learning to Love Sonic 06 - Sami Plays

Sami

Hey there all you beautiful Sonic fans - stopping by here to share a dumb thing I'm doing. That dumb thing being, as the topic title suggests, learning to love Sonic 06.

We all know Sonic 06 is a bad game. It's buggy, the visuals suffer from a poorly thought out art style, the character animation in cutscenes is among the worst the series has to offer, the story has been torn apart, and so on. Any of us could go on all day about everything it does wrong because it's been nearly ten years (!) and there's a lot that it does wrong. But what about what it does right? That's a conversation I very seldom see, be it here or anywhere else on the internet, and it's one that I want to start as we play through the game together. I also want to make a recap video once it's all over with an actual thesis and more put together argument, but we'll get to that when we get to that. 

So hey, if you're down for giving the game another look and really trying to see the glass half full, bust your copy out and let's talk about it. If you don't have a copy or don't feel like playing the whole game, give my videos a watch. I promise I try to be funny. ;)

As of today, we're on Part 5, and I upload every day at noon on the dot. No exceptions. Any feedback is not only welcome but wholeheartedly appreciated - I'm not quite new to the LP game but I can't call myself experienced as I'm very on and off with it and am currently using new equipment.

Enjoy!

• Thumbs Up 7

I'm glad to see you're going through the game with a positive angle. I'm honestly tired of talking about it negatively and want to hear more about what it gets right. The problem is that whenever the topic of Sonic 06 is discussed, it's either the same ol' "it's bad" tirade or it's being blindly defended on how it can do no wrong. We need balance.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's interesting that you talk about how Sonic can turn around and around on a dime, because I found that a major problem with Unleashed in that stopping and turning was really annoying as you have to stop and then turn almost like a car. Colours and Generations improved that. What we have here is essentially kind of like the Adventure games, but it's too loose in this game, especially when you're going at top speed. Then again, it's hard to tell what they would have changed if the game were finished. Actually, it's really hard to tell how this game would have looked if it were finished in general, I imagine so much was simply salvaged and put together like a weird jigsaw puzzle.

There's also some weird shit in Dusty Desert that they never bother delving into, such as the bones in the sand, and in the indoor section, there are giant ammonite fossils in the tunnel areas. It's like the only interesting thing about the indoor area.

I can only imagine how much of a terrible time the programmers and staff had making this game under such intense pressure from above. It's like what Pokecapn said at the end of his immortal playthrough, where he reckoned most of the staff were good people doing good work, getting fucked by people above. It's very clear that this was an ambitious passion project, and corners were cut due to time rather than simple laziness. Doesn't excuse things like the left in bloopers and such, or the fairly bad direction, but still.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/9/2016 at 6:07 PM, Semi-colon e said:

I can only imagine how much of a terrible time the programmers and staff had making this game under such intense pressure from above. It's like what Pokecapn said at the end of his immortal playthrough, where he reckoned most of the staff were good people doing good work, getting fucked by people above. It's very clear that this was an ambitious passion project, and corners were cut due to time rather than simple laziness. Doesn't excuse things like the left in bloopers and such, or the fairly bad direction, but still.

I Personality was always curious what was happening inside Sega/Sonic Team during the development though a realistic stand-point. like what was said in this one analysis article. https://andrearitsu.wordpress.com/2015/08/01/just-how-did-sonic-2006-happen/not those sarcastic "LMAO SONIC 06'S DEVELOPMENT TOOK PLACE IN A TOILET!!! DIRECTED BY ADAM SANDLER"(Really? can we get anymore class/courtesy from this dreaded fanbase, not like we have to like this game. but still) 

i feel the game is atleast playable if anything. not so much technically. but built-wise in most cases. the levels(atleast not the mach-speed sections though), for all the criticism the game endured this entire decade. are easy to get though without a sense of trying to make you afraid to do something wrong. just wish they didn't change characters mechanics from previous games. or refined them to feel easier to control/grasp the concepts of like going to tails using his tails to attack to this game having him use these "dummy rings"(sounds cool in context, the objects themselves) having to position him just right in order the attack to hit well. i feel the camera can sometimes work but sometimes it just doesn't. its position well in parts in the levels insuring you can put up with it for time. but if your not careful. like that moment sami in his playthough. was directly saying you can turn on a dime. it feels uncomfortable in the position its in directly in said video.

also i would feel more comfortable with the game. if the spindash was more like sonic adventure's/sonic adventure 2's. just to make you feel like your sightly more in control/trying to gain more speed.