Awoo.

How would you introduce old characters in Sonic Boom?

Big Panda

What would you want their role and characterization be like?

For Silver for instance, I imagine him being used in one of those scenarios where a time traveller comes to the past to warn the heroes about something bad that's going to happen that he can't elaborate on, leading to the heroes being paranoid for the rest of the episode.

• Thumbs Up 4

A long while ago I decided to to a design for BOOM!Ray so as soon as this topic showed up I had to jump in. Ray introduces himself by basically flying into the house that Sonic and or Amy lives in and trashes it due to not being able to land at all. He reveals to the team he can fly but can't land and asks for help since he got kicked off his island for making a mess of everything... and that all the squirrels on the island couldn't fly except him.

Sonic and Amy pass but Knuckles jumps at the chance since he wanted a sidekick and so takes Ray under his proverbial wing... lots of damage and bonding ensue and by the end of the episode Ray doesn't learn how to land but helps Knuckles out. He appears on and off when ever Knuckles needs help or the writers need some one to crash into things really hard.

Psst... here's a link to that design I did of BOOM!Ray.  http://mightyray.deviantart.com/art/Sonic-BOOM-Ray-the-flying-squirrel-495462184

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

For Silver for instance, I imagine him being used in one of those scenarios where a time traveller comes to the past to warn the heroes about something bad that's going to happen that he can't elaborate on, leading to the heroes being paranoid for the rest of the episode.

This is the probably the best scenario for Silver, honestly. I'd prefer him being a one-off or a rare character like Shadow or Metal Sonic.

Another situation that would work to Boom's comedy-oriented focus is Silver trying to prevent something that's supposedly terrible (without actually disclosing it). He tries to rope Sonic and friends into it, one of the team members (probably Sonic) doesn't trust him, and through several shenanigans they accidentally cause the very issue that they were trying to prevent...

Spoiler

Silver spills coffee all over his fanfiction novel

Otherwise, he could present himself as the character that seems to be cool at first, but is actually a dork (hence the spoiler). Amy may even have a crush on him, causing Sonic to be jealous, and that can explore that rather thin love interest angle that they've been toying with every so often.

For other characters, Big is best as a fisherman in the background as a running gag character. (Think the cabbage salesman from Avatar or ...this guy from the Dover Boys cartoon). It's true that there'd be some overlap with Fastidious Beaver and the like, but one more character (the best character, in fact) won't hurt.

Cream could be the catalyst that introduces Chao to the Boom universe; but I'd love to see Cream have a different personality that would result in funnier scenarios. The killer rabbit and cute-and-psycho tropes come to mind; she very much plays the role of innocent villager until something seemingly irrational triggers her to destroy everything. 

Omega: his personality from the Archie comics. Comically violent.

n3545y.jpg
8184f773e73e38c6480123c388e1309d.jpg

The Chaotix are easy. A detective agency that are actually terrible at their job, but are recognized as heroes at the end of the day for accidentally solving the case anyway. Their personality from the games works just fine.

The last one I'll brainstorm for is Blaze.

Blaze could stand-in as a queen from a far-off kingdom with absolutely no patience for Sonic and friends' silliness. She'd be the perfect "unfunny." Her subjects are constantly trying to prevent her from doing anything, and some ridiculous shenanigans put Sonic and friends in a situation where they are tasked to be her butlers for a day (and are annoyingly too helpful, even trying to wipe her mouth for her after a badly cooked meal), until Eggman breaks in and destroys her room because she was receiving too much attention. (side plot with Eggman being too bored with Sonic and co. out of town) eventually causing her to snap and reveal her fire-powers when Eggman breaks into her chambers demanding attention, resulting in her having a cathartic teardown of Eggman's entire army single-handedly. 

• Thumbs Up 6

It's hard to really have a concrete direction to go in because the characters seem pretty divorced from their Sega counterparts in most areas aside from one or two personality traits and/or hobbies, meaning everyone is fair game to jump in. Sonic doesn't really have world-travelling aspirations and is instead just kind of a cool guy who likes sleeping on the couch and hanging with friends. Tails is the tech guy but has no personal baggage concerning bullying nor of trying to surmount self-esteem issues. Amy is in love with Sonic but it's a buried love that doesn't really fuel the any actions, and certainly not any that cause her to gain independence. Knuckles' ancestry is irrelevant so he's just a dumb nature-loving guy. Shadow is angry for fuck all. There's a variable range of dearth between the different casts that makes it a little hard to give any character a concrete direction and still have them meaningfully recognizable.

In Silver's case, if I were to make him matter within the context of a comedy vehicle though, I would either have him as a time cop wherein he tries to influence events to fall in a way that will still ensure the safety of the future without changing it, or I would ditch the time travelling angle altogether and make him a hyped up legendary mystic who can answer all of your questions who is instead revealed at the end to be a 14-year old psychic kid who likes messing with his powers in a juvenile way (although I think that was already a plot point of an existing episode).

I would also just redo Shadow; make him a sly, sarcastic guy who is up himself and constantly annoyed with Sonic's amateur mistakes in fighting Eggman, and have him step in to show people how it's really done, using efficiency as an excuse to reveal slowly over time that he can be ridiculously destructive for no reason beyond getting the job done (basically, mix his SA2 personality with 06's "Wouldn't the door have been easier?" bit and run with it). It alludes to the competitiveness between them and gives them an actual rivalry, but it can be used in a comedic setting and make Shadow funny. Instead of climbing up the tree to get the cat and burning more energy, destroy the tree with one hit to get the cat down instead.

• Thumbs Up 6

Silver should be going back in time to prevent a horrible future, but everything Sonic does just makes a worse and worse future and Silver is like Dib from that piggy episode of Invader Zim where he keeps getting more and more prosthetics and medical devices. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Make Rouge a straight up thief. It's hard to justify making her a spy since there's not really been indication of any organization large enough that she could be spying for, so cut that (but maybe have Sticks throw some "you work for the government" paranoia at her, for the meta-reference). Maybe do something like, stuff keeps going missing, everyone starts blaming everyone else, but eventually they figure out there's some shady newcomer sneaking around.

• Thumbs Up 5

Blaze could be introduced during a scene with Shadow. They could pair up as the hedgehog helps her complete a mission - search for something or someone - who stole something from her kingdom. That thing could be a Sol emerald or a royal trinket that Eggman supposedly stole. But after Blaze confronts him, she learns it was actually another person that took it. And the revelation would be both unexpected and terrifying.

I think Shadow would be better as a character to interact with her than Sonic or his friends. Shadow has that dark, subdued undertone with him that matches her stoicism and get-down-to-business attitude. He's also as determined as she is, so the two would be a good match.

An excuse for Blaze to remain a character on the show would be that she fails to recover the artifact and thus remains on the island, looking for it. But she wouldn't stay with Sonic and friends. After roaming the island on her own for a while - 1 day, lol -, Shadow would invite her to stay with him or go live in the village(?) where he lives. It could be a very different village from the one we know and be an opportunity to show other diverse locations in that tiny island. 

7 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Make Rouge a straight up thief. It's hard to justify making her a spy since there's not really been indication of any organization large enough that she could be spying for, so cut that.

To be fair, there's nothing saying you can't just introduce one, either.

They kinda already did this with that purple donut steel, but I'd like to see Rouge be introduced by seducing Knuckles, who just ran into something like a chest full of rings, coins or jewels, and is reluctant to share one bit of the treasure, into sharing the riches with her until he's got nothing, which then makes him realize what she's done and want revenge. It would be a cool parallel to how Rouge was first introduced in the main canon back in SA2, while fitting into the show's formulaic tenancies.

She could also be hired by the Lightning Bolt Society and dupe both them and Sonic out of gold or whatever.

Who say's there's no Government for Rouge to be part of? Hell maybe she's the one stealing Sticks' plants.

I think with The Chaotix do what was done on X but multiply it by a thousand. Play up the Chaotix as extremely inept Detectives. Vector takes leads from the Lightening Bolt Society and traps Sonic. Basically make them the Aqua Teen Hunger Force.  

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Who say's there's no Government for Rouge to be part of? Hell maybe she's the one stealing Sticks' plants.

I know we never agree on anything, but Rouge confirming all of Sticks's conspiracy theories is the most brilliant idea I've ever heard.

Well done.

• Thumbs Up 5

3 hours ago, Singapore Sling said:

I know we never agree on anything, but Rouge confirming all of Sticks's conspiracy theories is the most brilliant idea I've ever heard.

Well done.

Ah, Shit that's my one decent thought for the year. XD

I’d have Blaze be a shy yet bit silly antisocial girl who’s been living off alone playing make believe in a cardboard cutout kingdom she crafted herself. Basically she’s just a pretend princess, which for a comedy Sonic story I thought was always a amusing idea for her. And to add more to the idea, Sonic & gang may first hear about Blaze from a rumor in town about a mysterious princess, after they would meet her and find her fake kingdom....  other funny things could happen from there obviously.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think they could be introduced fairly easily to be quite honest, I wouldn't really change their personalities much aside from cream and vanilla, that said that dream is sort of dead. They are rather content with using the character they have + the ones they make, i'm not so keen I think a lot of their characters look bland as all hell. But I don't get to make those choices. 

As cameos? Maybe. I can't imagine them breaking up the current group of characters. Just wouldn't...work...?

Extra characters could be fun, but shouldn't be a part of the main cast, I think.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 6:14 PM, Singapore Sling said:

Silver should be going back in time to prevent a horrible future, but everything Sonic does just makes a worse and worse future and Silver is like Dib from that piggy episode of Invader Zim where he keeps getting more and more prosthetics and medical devices. 

67feb748a848e1c3ed5bc8b84a9edfab.jpg

I can deal with this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tikal would arrive from Knuckles's homeland via a big green pebble, and start to haunt Bygone in search of Knuckles to tell him about his duty. Unfortunately, she's a bigger doofus than Knuckles. Knuckles has to educate her about what he knows about Bygone society.

Mighty and Ray would be a duo of tourists coming to see the sights of Bygone. They arrive to see the relics of the Ancients and the supervillain fortresses. They become buddies with Knuckles because he's actually a handy tour guide. They end up buying lots of cheap crud along the way.

Sally would be a tinpot dictator. Not an evil one, but still a disliked and incompetent ruler. Sonic and company have to help her rule more justly and become more popular.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 4:53 PM, Indigo Rush said:

Amy may even have a crush on him, causing Sonic to be jealous, and that can explore that rather thin love interest angle that they've been toying with every so often.

Silver should be a womanizing playboy too. That would certainly make for a nice rivalry between him and Sonic. :lol:

I originally thought that Cream in Sonic Boom could work by being kinda like Numbuh 3; a lovable and sort of ditzy girl obsessed with cuteness but possess a horrible temper that you do NOT want to trigger. But then E-122 Psi came up with a different idea that I think is much better; having Boom!Cream be more like Fluttershy, a timid character who is too nice for her own good but can kick serious ass and will have a temper tantrum if pushed too far. That way Cream can remain mostly in-character while still providing comedy (that is her overly kind and polite nature screwing her over and the surprisingly intimidating wrath she possesses when pushed too far) and also gives the cast a much needed "soft-spoken and/or humble" character, since most of the cast (even Amy and Tails) are very outspoken and tend to be arrogant.

I've always advocated alongside everyone else for Team Chaotix to be added into Boom. The way they are in the main games is already perfect!

Big the Cat is also a great candidate for Sonic Boom! Although, as E-122 Psi had pointed out, Boom!Knuckles' characterization (the dumb muscle) would make Big redundant. However, I think Big can still work by having him be like Forrest Gump; a simpleton character who lives a simple life but ends up finding success in whatever he does, either through luck or legit effort (ex. there could be an episode where the main cast try to find a treasure chest and spend the entire thing fighting over it while searching for it, only for Big to fish up the treasure completely by accident at the very end). Just a thought.

• Thumbs Up 4

Sticks goes missing or someone loses something 

Sonic and gang need help finding her
Sonic pulls out phone book, calls number

Vector anwsers phone: "Team Chaotix at your service"

• Thumbs Up 1