Awoo.

Why haven't the Sonic manga been released overseas?

Hiki

It got taken down by internal issues as far as I know, not SEGA or anyone else. Adamis' Pencil Hill Zone blog has them uploaded.

I'd imagine there just isn't enough demand. We only get manga in the West, officially, that's notable enough to catch enough attention to be brought over. Are you aware of the quantity of manga that come out every week? Maybe if there'd been a manga specifically tied to a popular show, say, an ongoing Sonic X manga, it'd have been brought over, but otherwise, they're just novelty stuff that probably wouldn't see much success west-wise. Same with a lot of Mega Man stuff like Ikehara's manga, which is so important to the franchise.

• Thumbs Up 2

In the original Sonic Manga... One of the panels was this.

Badnik: FUCK OFF SONIC!

Followed by...

Sonic: FUCK OFF YOURSELF! *as sonic spin attacks a badnik*

... ... .. .Yeah I really want this released!

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, The KKM said:

Are you not aware of the notion of "fan translation" or something? Why do I keep encountering people not realising the manga didn't actually have cussing in a children's comic, it was a dubious translation?

What's with the passive aggression?

You did literally just diss someone's work with some badly-applied sarcasm based on someone unrelated's fan translation to a language that wasn't even their mother tongue, and all.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, The KKM said:

You did literally just diss someone's work with some badly-applied sarcasm based on someone unrelated's fan translation to a language that wasn't even their mother tongue, and all.

... ... ... .... Did I? 

• Thumbs Up 4

If your "I really want this to be released!" wasn't meant to be sarcastic then sorry, let me rephrase:

You did literally just dumbingly paise someone's work based on someone unrelated's fan translation to a language that wasn't even their mother tongue, and all.

Just now, The KKM said:

You did literally just dumbingly paise someone's work based on someone unrelated's fan translation to a language that wasn't even their mother tongue, and all.

Yeah I'm sure I did...

• Thumbs Up 2

What the heck. Guys, keep this argument out of this topic please. It's just derailing discussion.

• Thumbs Up 6

So anyway, I agree, there really wouldn't be much interest for this internationally, and the manga really isn't in the format of the games or any other related media, so it wouldn't really draw much attention, I don't think.

• Thumbs Up 1

Technically, I think Viz could have brought the Dash & Spin manga over, since Shogakukan (one of their parent companies) did publish it. I'm guessing there wasn't a huge interest, or maybe SEGA didn't want it competing with Archie's book.

Do scanlations of the book just not exist? I wouldn't have a problem with it not having an official localization if I could actually read the thing. One year of high school Japanese class isn't gonna get me very far no matter how good my teacher is.

15 hours ago, The KKM said:

Maybe if there'd been a manga specifically tied to a popular show, say, an ongoing Sonic X manga

A Sonic X manga would have been pretty dubious too considering that it wasn't that popular in its origin country or most of Europe. Not enough interest to start one, not enough interest to make it global.

In retrospect, the fact the popularity was mostly in America is probably why they had Archie do the print adaptation instead, even though that wouldn't exactly be the expected choice.

I honestly don't see what's so special about the Sonic Manga. None of the humor has ever made sense, outside of it just being random, and there's nothing there for me to grip onto otherwise like with AoStH.

1 hour ago, shdowhunt60 said:

I honestly don't see what's so special about the Sonic Manga. None of the humor has ever made sense, outside of it just being random, and there's nothing there for me to grip onto otherwise like with AoStH.

For me it's "catch them all" attitude (read: addiction). I watched cartoons, read comics played games (or at least watch let's play) of everything related to Sonic. All that's left are 3 Adam Martin books and those dang manga.

1 hour ago, SonicEkkusu said:

It's not just Dash and Spin that I wanna see released. I also wanna see the manga with Nikki and friends.

You mean, Ranma 1/2 with Sonic and friends? I don't really understand the appeal of that either.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

You mean, Ranma 1/2 with Sonic and friends? I don't really understand the appeal of that either.

From a series legacy perspective, it holds quite a lot of historic value. It exposed us to two still active characters for the first, and it had little things as well like the car Tails has on his Sonic CD sound test pic. There could be loads of other pieces relevant to the games theoretically, and it'd be nice to collect and release for the West for that reason.

But yeah, that would be super niche at least.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 5/26/2016 at 2:29 PM, SonicEkkusu said:

What about the Dengeki DS manga?

What about it?

I mean. Like. I like fanfiction. I really do. But even I get that not a hell of a lot of people want to read a veritable novel about a blue hedgehog.