Awoo.

Mega Man: Fully Charged

Spin Attaxx

You know I made a joke to myself earlier that Mega Mini was going to be a Great Gazoo-type character that would follow Mega Man around while being obnoxious.

Then we have the first look at his character and oh boy.

• Thumbs Up 4

Honestly when I saw the name Mega Mini this is all I could think about:

Spoiler

You know what to do, Capcom

• Thumbs Up 6

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I might as well share my thoughts: ......Yikes.

I'm usually not the kind to judge a new iteration of a franchise from initial redesigns, but this really doesn't look good. (And this is coming from a guy who actually liked Buffles the first time he saw him!) The design's bland, the outfit screams "Tron", rather than "Video game robot boy", and the face looks vaguely Ken Penders-esque, which is never a good thing. And Mega Mini looks to be your obligatory annoying, hyperactive cartoon sidekick. Strangely, the first thing that popped into my head when I saw him was Bedsmith from Mario & Luigi: Dream Team.

If there's any consolation from this, it's that this hideous abomination wasn't responsible for the end of the Archie comic:

I'm actually hoping Bass doesn't appear in this. Lord knows what they'd do to him.

Can't be any worse than making him a personality-less edgelord in MMBN

-runs-

13 minutes ago, Sean said:

Can't be any worse than making him a personality-less edgelord in MMBN

-runs-

Hahaha no! If you want to talk about edge lord the megamix version of Bass is right up your ally. 

With Man of Action's name attached I expected nothing good to come of this. Now imagine the look on my face when the synopsis confirmed a Megaman show is getting a Scrappy-doo character.

What a time to be alive.

Edit: Wait, why the hell isn't there any mention of Megaman's long time sidekick Rush? You don't think they'd actually be dumb enough to...

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe IGN said Rush will appear (though the fact that Mega MiniTM got revealed before he did doesn't exactly inspire confidence).

But really, would you be shocked if he didn't appear? I mean, if they're ignoring Mega Man's real name being Rock, who's to say they won't kill the reference outright and ignore Roll's existence?

You know, I was thinking, and I think I figured out the big difference with the other incarnations of Mega Man, and this one. The artstyles. When you see these two characters together:

latest?cb=20120513194312&path-prefix=en  megaman.jpg?w=480&h=469

There's a very similar artstyle here. It's a little different so X still has it's own unique feel, yet similar enough to show it's the same character but updated in a very different way. However, the familiar design and colour scheme still makes X feel like part of the Mega Man universe.

It's the same for Mega Man Legends

c6fcdd3b2a7d1d4d71c7ba93dceac2fc.jpg?v=1 

The art style is much more similar to the art-style of Mega Man X, however thanks to familiar design cues, and the art style not differing too much from the original, it still feels like the design fits at home. Roll's outfit is widely different than her original dress and bow, but thanks to the similar art and colour scheme, it instead feels like a more modern outfit for Roll, kinda like something what a teenage incarnation of the character would wear (Instead of Ruby-Spears' Roll, which to be fair, looked more like a 40 year old rather than a teenager)

I guess what I'm saying if it makes sense if all of the previous Mega Man incarnations had an art style that was done in more of a manga style, which gave it a unique flare and in general, nice design to it all, even if the JP artwork for the first few games was really rough. But hey, it's not all bad. At least Bad Box Art Mega Man has a pal now!

latest?cb=20120127173751  mega_man_animated_series_design-261x400.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

You know, I was thinking, and I think I figured out the big difference with the other incarnations of Mega Man, and this one. The artstyles. When you see these two characters together:

latest?cb=20120513194312&path-prefix=en  megaman.jpg?w=480&h=469

There's a very similar artstyle here. It's a little different so X still has it's own unique feel, yet similar enough to show it's the same character but updated in a very different way. However, the familiar design and colour scheme still makes X feel like part of the Mega Man universe.

It's the same for Mega Man Legends

c6fcdd3b2a7d1d4d71c7ba93dceac2fc.jpg?v=1 

The art style is much more similar to the art-style of Mega Man X, however thanks to familiar design cues, and the art style not differing too much from the original, it still feels like the design fits at home. Roll's outfit is widely different than her original dress and bow, but thanks to the similar art and colour scheme, it instead feels like a more modern outfit for Roll, kinda like something what a teenage incarnation of the character would wear (Instead of Ruby-Spears' Roll, which to be fair, looked more like a 40 year old rather than a teenager)

I guess what I'm saying if it makes sense if all of the previous Mega Man incarnations had an art style that was done in more of a manga style, which gave it a unique flare and in general, nice design to it all, even if the JP artwork for the first few games was really rough. But hey, it's not all bad. At least Bad Box Art Mega Man has a pal now!

latest?cb=20120127173751  mega_man_animated_series_design-261x400.

Ya know at least bad box art Mega Man has his own charm at how hilarious it is and just how weird it was at the time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah... no. I don't think so with this. I was looking forward to it, but reading the info just put me off.

Also, that art of Mega Man is really just meh to be honest. I'm not the best drawer out there in anyway possible, but even I could draw better than this.

19 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

So Tyson Hesse put his own take on it and I have to say the design isn't that bad it was the artwork that they used is what gave us a bad first impression 

CjbBbH4VAAEELC_.png

I wished that they showed us something like this to us first, rather than... the other one.

The revamps that the Archie comic artists are posting on their Twitter accounts look much better than what Capcom showed in the announcement. It just looks like a horrible generic flash animated/drawn Tron wannabe otherwise.

The write up for the story almost sounds like it's borrowing from or has mistaken Mega Man for Astro Boy. The creation of this mini character when Mega Man has a bevy of helper bots/pets/friends seems an odd choice, and the alteration of the long standing backstory is heartbreaking coming from a fan of the series.

I was hoping for a revival of the series inspired by the classic games, or the X series, not a weird unrelated spin-off whatever this is. Sad part being that you just know Capcom will try to cash in on this new cartoon series with a game, which is a double blow to the fans. As now we know the next Mega Man game will also be an uninspired low quality cash grab based on the cartoon.

At least we still have Sonic's anniversary to look forward to right?

1 hour ago, Dejimon11 said:

So Tyson Hesse put his own take on it and I have to say the design isn't that bad it was the artwork that they used is what gave us a bad first impression 

CjbBbH4VAAEELC_.png

Now see, if they showed us that this would've at least softened the blow! yeah plots still fucking dumb but when its combined with the horrid flash animation looking megaman it just turns people off.

Weird that the Archie artists, the very people who lost their megaman comic thanks to this crap, are showing us that this design isn't soo bad when done right.

Just now, Dejimon11 said:

CjbBbH4VAAEELC_.png

A lot of potentially decent designs can be ruined by un-flattering artwork, sometimes it doesn't seem like they're actually trying to put out their best efforts.

• Thumbs Up 1

I still think the design looks a little too detailed and doesn't make any aesthetic sense.  But it's moot because I actually think the artwork and especially the coloring and shading are very mediocre at best.

• Thumbs Up 1

Really, if you want a concept that does something like this but actually makes sense for the character, there's the Mega Man X redesign that was originally an april fool's joke but then got turned into an incredible figure by TruForce Collectibles:

3116.jpg

Suitably mechanical with nothing ridiculous, the 'tron lines' aren't overpowering unlike this show's overly bright glowing lines, and a natural evolution of X's original design much like his Command Mission design. I've got all three variants and they are phenomenal.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Person said:

IGN had a pic with Mega Mini in it:

mega-man-and-mega-mini-reveal-exclusive-

Looks kinda annoying....but does he live in Mega Man's helmet!?

It's... tiny.

And... why does he look like someone from Invader Zim a bit?

5 minutes ago, Fusion Zebra said:

It's... tiny.

And... why does he look like someone from Invader Zim a bit?

Oh yeah, he does look like Gir. lol, that's amazing.

So we has a Tinker Bell on his shoulder, that's not so bad. It's better than younger annoying brother. That's not reason to worry.

(Although from esthetic point of view, showing new character for a first time being glued to forehaead of other is really dumb).

Ok, THAT makes me worry. Which Megaman are they talking about? Captain N Game Master version?

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess that tiny thing is this "Mega Mini", eh? I couldn't even tell that was there before, it doesn't even look like it's suppose to be part of the pic...to me anyway.

Hopefully it gets separate artwork so I can see what its actual design is suppose to look like.

Wow...

Not gonna jump the gun and say this'll be the worst thing ever, but I can't say I'm impressed. And I was actually looking forward to this to an extent.

I dunno. To me, the art does not look that bad. I accept it.

BUT, the synopsis, on the other hand...not liking where this is going, alter ego and all. Who thinks the old cartoon will be better than this, anyway?

41 minutes ago, Flamerstreak said:

I dunno. To me, the art does not look that bad. I accept it.

BUT, the synopsis, on the other hand...not liking where this is going, alter ego and all. Who thinks the old cartoon will be better than this, anyway?

If this new series doesn't have zero, then the old cartoon(s) will be better than this