Awoo.

Mega Man: Fully Charged

Spin Attaxx

2 minutes ago, Sean said:

Nope, just dicking around bro

So it's ok to insult as long as I just try to justify I was joking, ok gotcha.

26 minutes ago, Sean said:

Every single bit of new info we got, people would keep shitting on the cartoon and decrying it as an insult to Mega Man. It never had a chance

To be fair,  we got impressions from the show and they were terrible. It's like decrying people for not giving the Emoji movie a "fair shot". Despite previews,  y'know the things meant to draw us in,  were terrible.

12 minutes ago, Polkadi~♪ said:
20 minutes ago, pppp said:

Huh. When I insulted someone a while back I got a warning point. I guess staff members above the rules. Not cool IMO but whatever.

I can tell it was meant to be in a joking manner, but it's harder to say so when the response is just an image

And admittedly image only posts are supposed to be outlawed. And I'll admit,  I can see why.

Because of the joke's image-only presentation,  it comes off as needlessly mean for no reason. Like, the context is lost on most people in that regard,  and it is something that a non-staff member would get blasted for. 

19 hours ago, Sean said:

>Battle Network
>good writing

So you personally don't like it. Fair enough,  but then it's easy to see why you'd find alleged double standards.

That said,  ignoring even the concept of how far differences are taken,  one reason among many you'll likely find that Battle Network didn't get or deserve as much negative flac that Fully Charged got is that, will for starters,  regardless of the writing quality, BN had the advantage of being games that were fun and actually did interesting things with their worlds. Battles were actually keen in motion too, something that Fully Charged really sucks at, oh and the artstyle provided for much finer looking redesigns. 

• Fist Bump 1
  • Absolutely 1

To put it simply (And this is something I should've clarified long ago): We don't hate Fully Charged because it's different, but because it's not good at what it's trying to be.

If you're coming into this show as a Mega Man fan, you'll be off-put by how bastardized characters and concepts are, with the writers making shallow attempts at connecting to their audience with outdated memes and pixel animations that look more like a bootleg Mega Man than the genuine article. (A criticism that carries over to redesigns like Ice Man)

If you're coming into this having never heard of Mega Man, then you're just watching a generic, by-the-numbers kids' superhero show with poor animation, hamfisted morals, and juvenile jokes with drawn-out reactions- Because we really need Mega Mini interrupting a fight to make fun of Fire Man's name, and then Aki taking his time getting him to shut up. Are the writers really that desperate to fill out an 11-minute story? And that's excluding the same stock transformation sequence they play in every episode.

I'm fine with a franchise having a radically different iteration, as long as it's at least good on its own terms. (See the Sonic Boom show and Rise of the TMNT.) Point is, you don't have to be familiar with Mega Man to see Fully Charged's problems. It's either a cheap cash-in on an iconic brand, or a cheap action show with a premise, fight scenes, morals, and characters we've seen done better elsewhere time and time again.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

13 minutes ago, pppp said:

So it's ok to insult as long as I just try to justify I was joking, ok gotcha.

The context here is a tongue in cheek "how dare you" reaction image, and on top of that at the end of a post that otherwise responded seriously. Do you honestly think anyone was seriously insulting you over not liking the sacred subseries Mega Man Battle Network?

4 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Megumin Academy said:

And admittedly image only posts are supposed to be outlawed. And I'l admit,  because of the joke's image-only presentation,  it comes off as needlessly mean for no reason. Like, the context is lost on most people in that regard,  and it is something that a non-staff member would get blasted for. 

Just to reiterate: it literally was not an image only post.

To put it simply (And this is something I should've clarified long ago): We don't hate Fully Charged because it's different, but because it's not good at what it's trying to be.

If you're coming into this show as a Mega Man fan, you'll be off-put by how bastardized characters and concepts are, with the writers making shallow attempts at connecting to their audience with outdated memes and pixel animations that look more like a bootleg Mega Man than the genuine article. (A criticism that carries over to redesigns like Ice Man)

If you're coming into this having never heard of Mega Man, then you're just watching a generic, by-the-numbers kids' superhero show with poor animation, hamfisted morals, and juvenile jokes with drawn-out reactions- Because we really need Mega Mini interrupting a fight to make fun of Fire Man's name, and then Aki taking his time getting him to shut up. Are the writers really that desperate to fill out an 11-minutestory? And that's excluding the same stock transformation sequence they play in every episode.

@Forte-Metallix

That's right. And from what I can gather,  most folk here actually did give the show a chance, obviously not in ways that were going to help the show's already precarious ratings,  thanks to the CN app, but nonetheless,  it's not like we're judging it fully without having seen some of the crap itself. 

• Thumbs Up 2

By all means, I should hate Sonic Boom too if I was hating it for the changes and nothing else, yet Boom remains one of my favourite versions of the series, because while it removes a lot of what the series is known for, not only is the cast still recongizable, unique in their designs, and above all else - decently appealing - there's also the fact I think it achieves what it sets out to do incredibly well, with a lot of clever episodes and some good jokes.

I still stand by everything I said pre-release, because the point still remained that what we seemingly were getting was everything unique about Mega Man being gutted and replaced with generic, cliched tripe that never manages to achieve what it's doing through terrible writing, horrid jokes, awful visuals, and annoying characters. In fact, tying into this point, I was watching this video earlier: 

Which even discusses how a lot of the morals that the show tries to spread are directly contradicted in the very same episode and leads even further into the confused morals, characters and stories. As Forte said, my issue isn't it's different, my issue is that it's different and still directly fails in everything it tries to achieve, leading to the show just being terribly generic and absolutely awful by it's self, and then getting even worse when you remember a lot of creative and unique details were removed and replaced with said boring and generic details.

1 minute ago, Celestia said:

The context here is a tongue in cheek "how dare you" reaction image, and on top of that at the end of a post that otherwise responded seriously. Do you honestly think anyone was seriously insulting you over not liking the sacred subseries Mega Man Battle Network?

Except the image didn't say "How dare you". None of those words were in that image. So yeah I do think I was insulted, and I've seen non staff people on SSMB over the years get told off for less, but sure, staff members get to ignore the rules, I get it.

9 minutes ago, Celestia said:
24 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Megumin Academy said:

And admittedly image only posts are supposed to be outlawed. And I'l admit,  because of the joke's image-only presentation,  it comes off as needlessly mean for no reason. Like, the context is lost on most people in that regard,  and it is something that a non-staff member would get blasted for. 

Just to reiterate: it literally was not an image only post

Depends. Sonetimes a merged post is counted as one,  but I digress. That said, the response to the excerpt itself feels a bit too open to interpretation still and just feels like a needlessly mean taunt on its own.  

Whenever I respond with a pic, I make sure to often follow it up with text unless the pic itself is absolutely self-explanatory.  This being the internet,  it helps to have things be clear,  concise and complete,  at least that's what I've learned in life and college. 

Not trying to be stuck up or anything,  I just really think there was a nicer, better way to respond that wouldn't have sparked things,  that's all.

Anyway, to get back on topic with Fully Charged.

12 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

If you're coming into this having never heard of Mega Man, then you're just watching a generic, by-the-numbers kids' superhero show with poor animation, hamfisted morals, and juvenile jokes with drawn-out reactions-

Not to mention,  badly animated snot joke humor with one of the recurring characters. 

15 minutes ago, pppp said:

Except the image didn't say "How dare you". None of those words were in that image. So yeah I do think I was insulted, and I've seen non staff people on SSMB over the years get told off for less, but sure, staff members get to ignore the rules, I get it.

No one is "acting above the rules" and you needing an image that literally states the intent is your own problem.

14 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Megumin Academy said:

Depends. Sonetimes a merged post is counted as one,  but I digress. That said, the response to the excerpt itself feels a bit too open to interpretation still and just feels like a needlessly mean taunt on its own. 

Sean also has a pretty good history of just fucking around with people. And the context was pretty self-explanatory. If they was seriously looking to insult or belittle pppp, I don't think they'd respond with Kizuna Ai of all things jlkajsdlakd

I mean by this logic, Celestia should have banned me by now.

And with this, the matter is to be dropped. Any issues you have with moderation can be taken up privately with us or with admins. This topic is to move on and further responses about the above will just be deleted.

• Thumbs Up 3

Were the classic megaman shows back in the 80-90’s considered good? I never watched them, but even if they adapted the games better, I recall hearing how those had there own set of issues. Idk, just seems the megaman series has never had a generally considered “good” series by the large percentage of the fanbase or in the general market. 

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

Were the classic megaman shows back in the 80-90’s considered good? I never watched them, but even if they adapted the games better, I recall hearing how those had there own set of issues. Idk, just seems the megaman series has never had a generally considered “good” series by the large percentage of the fanbase or in the general market. 

I loved the 90s show. In many respects it deviated from the source material, sometimes severely, but for the most part, for a 90s show, it was a fun romp with great characters and plenty of action. Plus, I can't picture Dr. Wily with any other voice than Scott McNeil. By today's standards, though, it's pretty bad, and I don't think much of the fanbase cares much for it.

The "Wish Upon A Star" anime was sub par pseudo-educational tripe.

Goes beyond 80s/90s, but I think I remember people liking the Battle Network series to an extent? At the very least whenever I see it come up (which is rare admittedly lol) it's not to dunk on it.

On 9/4/2018 at 8:27 PM, KHCast said:

Not really, but similar to the Mario and DKC shows, Ruby Spears Mega Man had a certain cheesy charm to it. The villains were incompetent, but endearing, especially thanks to their voices. And there's a good reason stuff like Guts Man's ass and Pharaoh Man's punch became memes- They're so ridiculous in execution that you end up laughing for the wrong reasons. Not to mention this show introduced new concepts that, while not perfect, were interesting ideas that later iterations such as the Archie comics would adapt. (Cut Man being obsessed with bad puns, Roll using cleaning supplies as weapons, etc.)

Fully Charged doesn't even have that going for it, as it draws out lame puns and gross humor because the writers seem content just pandering to their target demographic's stereotypes, rather than putting effort into their writing.  And that's not even getting back into this show's severe identity issues and mixed morals, as discussed above.

On 9/5/2018 at 10:01 AM, Polkadi~♪ said:

I can tell it was meant to be in a joking manner, but it's harder to say so when the response is just an image.

Now, Battle Network, it takes elements of Classic Mega Man and does something different. It's not like Fully Charged, in which it's basically a rewritten Classic Mega Man, but more tries something else. For instance, all robot masters are programs in a digital world. Everyone has their own thanks to a device, and you have MegaMan.EXE by your side. Working with your friends and the other robot master programs (who are still fully sentient), you all fight for... Whatever the plot demands. It's similar, yet different.

Yeah, I got beaten to this one. Battle Network is basically an alternate universe where Dr. Light (Lan's grandfather) decided to go into developing online technologies and AI as programs rather than robotics. The similarities with Classic Mega Man are mostly superficial and fun nods, but everything else is so very different. Hell, that applies to the point where its own equivalent of the X series, Star Force, would rival Legends for how different it is from everything else were it not for the existing online tech from Battle Network carrying over, the occasional cameo of MegaMan.Exe and Lan, the latter of whom developed the BrotherBand system, and the DS port of BN1 with extra Star Force crossover content.

Fully Charged feels like it's trying to be Classic and something different simultaneously instead of one or the other, which makes it a goddamn mess.

• Thumbs Up 3

To be fair, I always liked the Ruby Spears cartoon because of the Teenage Rock as he always had the connotation of "whiny bitch" in the games IMO because of MM8.

On 9/4/2018 at 5:25 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

was everything unique about Mega Man

Didn't most of that come from Astro Boy.

13 hours ago, Singapore Sling said:

Didn't most of that come from Astro Boy.

Mega Man did take alot of inspiration from it, but did enough different if you ask me. In Astro Boy Dr. Tenma's son dies and he creates Astro Boy as a perfect replica to be exactly like his son so he doesn't have to let go of of his son Toby, but after realizing his pain didn't really go away he rejects Astro and sells him to a circus leader(Yeah Astro Boy is really fucked up).

Mega Man(Classic at least) is basically a more lighthearted take on Astro Boy, with the primary common element being the "robot humanity" theme.

Aside from some character parallels and the general robot-focused setting, Mega Man and Astro Boy as a whole have extremely very little in common.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's...Guts Man?

Screen%2BShot%2B2018-09-07%2Bat%2B10.39.31%2BPM.png

Now it really feels like they're trying to parody Mega Man instead of redesigning it. If a character's radically changed to the point where you can't even tell what they're from, much less who they are, I think you got a bit too "creative" at the drawing board.

4 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

It's...Guts Man?

Now it really feels like they're trying to parody Mega Man instead of redesigning it. If a character's radically changed to the point where you can't even tell what they're from, much less who they are, I think you got a bit too "creative" at the drawing board.

...This is the one of the most generic designs to come out of the show yet. Literally nothing about him that screams "Guts Man" or what his power was. And fair enough, it's not like his original design screamed it either:

latest?cb=20100508211922

But then you had the construction themed colour scheme, the construction helmet that was very similar to a Met. It wasn't much, but it was simple, consistent and gave off implications of what his purpose is. 

This new design is somehow generic, but too busy at the same time. The colour scheme is a dull black and red, his body and head make him look more like a american football player more than anything, and he has something on his back that looks like they're meant to be guns or rocket launchers or something. It's just all over the place, inconsistent, bland, and not memorable at all.

16 hours ago, Forte-Metallix said:

It's...Guts Man?

Oookay now this is weird. For the other robot masters that we've been shown, the redesigns made them  look different but still preserved their original look (even if I'm not fond of the inconsistency overall). Why did Gutsman and only Gutsman get this treatment? 

Here's "Guts Man" in action, complete with Russian voice, dumb muscle archetype, and Deviantart fetish fuel:

I think someone decided to make his "Guts" title a bit too literal.

On 9/8/2018 at 6:51 AM, pppp said:

Mega Man did take alot of inspiration from it, but did enough different if you ask me. In Astro Boy Dr. Tenma's son dies and he creates Astro Boy as a perfect replica to be exactly like his son so he doesn't have to let go of of his son Toby, but after realizing his pain didn't really go away he rejects Astro and sells him to a circus leader(Yeah Astro Boy is really fucked up).

Mega Man(Classic at least) is basically a more lighthearted take on Astro Boy, with the primary common element being the "robot humanity" theme.

Right, but my point is that it seems a bit silly to herald Mega Man as this beloved, sacred work when Fully Charged is really just doing for Mega Man what Mega Man did for Astro Boy. There's really no difference, except for the fact Fully Charged is still called Mega Man (And given Legends, Battle Network, Star Force, et al., that seems very arbitrary to me).

Why can Mega Man get praised for some kind of uniqueness by just changing Astro Boy elements, but when Fully Charged does it (MUCH less drastically than other incarnations of Mega Man, no less) it's bad?

Granted, I've only seen the two part premiere of Fully Charged...but it's not really that bad. I even really enjoyed some elements of it. I think it was one of the few times I ever gave a shit about Dr. Light, bare minimum. It just doesn't seem like the slaughtering of a sacred cow (a sacred cow that was another, more insightful story with all the edges filed off, no less) people make it out to be. I've seen way more drastic tonal and conceptual shifts than this.

Mega Man was an accomplishment of masterful game design. Its "mythos", such as it is, was always a bit of arbitrary nonsense.

• Thumbs Up 2

UK finally got a confirmed channel and air date. It won't be Cartoon Network UK, but rather Pop UK, which is a free channel.

...That doesn't really bode well. Apart from the Hasbro shows that air on Pop due to not having a version of the Hub in the UK, Pop isn't really well known for having good successful shows still running. The only exception I can think of is Dragon Ball Z Kai and even that was due to the fact no other channel would pick up the Funi dub, wanting the Ocean dub instead, which Kai didn't have.

Edit: Just checked myself, and confirmed it. Even worse, it's only getting one episode per day.

For those in the UK with a curiosity:

Episode 1: Throwing Shade Part 1 - 02/10 - 3:30

Episode 2: Throwing Shade Part 2 - 03/10 - 3:30

Episode 3: Drilling Deep - 04/10 - 3:30

Episode 4: Videodrone - 05/10 - 3:30

Episode 5: Please Rush Home - 06/10 - 3:30