Awoo.

Mega Man: Fully Charged

Spin Attaxx

So you've probably heard that Man of Action's making a Mega Man cartoon for 2017. Well, we got our first bit of info... and it's honestly not very good.

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5227cd84e4b02515a5badc7f/t/574716e4f8baf38d2d1989cf/1464276763078/?format=300w

Dentsu Entertainment USA and DHX Media have struck a global deal to develop, co-produce, distribute and jointly manage licensing for the new Mega Man animated series which was originally announced last summer. Man of Action Entertainment (Ben 10, Generator Rex, Big Hero 6) is executive producing the series that’s based on the classic video game franchise.

Under the terms of the deal, Dentsu Entertainment USA and DHX (Teletubbies, Yo Gabba Gabba!, the Degrassi franchise) will manage all global rights for the Mega Man animated series and will handle distribution and licensing in the U.S. Parent company Dentsu Inc, a leading Japanese animation producer and ad agency, will handle distribution and licensing in Asia, with DHX managing distribution and licensing in all other territories.

The original video game series was launched by Capcom in 1987. It followed the robot Mega Man who battled varying enemies across different environments while collecting new, strange weapons as he sought to defeat the nefarious Dr. Wily.

Aimed at kids 6 to 9, as well as parents who grew up playing the video games, the series will follow Mega Man’s newly-introduced alter-ego, Aki Light, a normal, upbeat, schoolboy robot who, when activated, re-forms into a suit of impenetrable armor. Other characters from the games and new characters, including Mega Mini, will also be featured.

The Mega Man animated series is set to air sometime in 2017, timed with the franchise’s 30th anniversary.

So yeah... aside from the fact that this Mega Man looks like an ugly as sin TRON knockoff, are we really going to base this off the Dreamwave comic of all things? Also, "Aki"? What was wrong with Rock? Or was it just not Japanesey and therefore "cool" enough for kids? Finally... Mega Mini. If this is a tiny kid sidekick for Mega Man, there is no hope. Actually, there's no hope already; we'll be going into negative hope.

I pray to god that if the Archie comic comes back, it's not going to be retooled to fit this travesty in the making.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

Holy shit no I'm sorry but no, all the signs are pointing at it. I'm normally the optimist when it comes to things like this and I defended the fact that Man of Action was behind this since I liked Ben 10(except omniverse although I heard it was made by a different company so eh), I loved Generator Rex the only things I didn't like were the Marvel cartoons but that was because Marvel/Disney don't think kids get serious stories. 

Why does he look like something straight out of Tron? What the hell is a Mega Mini? Which is an oxymoron btw. Why is he going to school? Nobody likes that shit.

jesus christ

I didn't have high expectations in the first place, but I didn't expect it'd be this terrible and unfaithful. What the fuck were they thinking?

This looks like a pre-school design. 

No, seriously. I don't think it'd look out of place on a show like Baby Looney Tunes 

4 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

This looks like a pre-school design. 

No, seriously. I don't think it'd look out of place on a show like Baby Looney Tunes 

...I'm no fan of the design but this is a really bizarre comparison.

• Thumbs Up 6

Alter ego part doesn't surprise me, it seems writing about kid super heroes is Man of Action's comfort zone.

I'm not giving up yet, but it looks kinda bad.

17 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

liked Ben 10 (except omniverse although I heard it was made by a different company so eh)

Man of Action only made classic series and crossover with Rex. (I liked Omniverse, but I can see why you didn't. It had many problems.)

IUrVnty.png

HOLY SHIT THAT'S FUCKING TERRIFIC.

Capcom, DHX, Dentsu, come on, if I wanted a subpar Mega Man story that takes place in a school setting, I'd have just gone to the bowels of Fanfiction.net for that crap! In all seriousness though, why can't we just let Mega Man be Mega Man for a change? Is that really so much to ask for?

Still hard to believe that Ruby Spears were the closest to a genuine Mega Man cartoon adaptation... and that was only in the pitch before they dropped that premise entirely!

But hey, at least we got were...lions?

Yay?

Just give us a bona fide Mega Man cartoon already please.

The design wouldn't be so bad if the face wasn't so screwed-up.

That being said, it still reeks of a Tron Legacy ripoff, which I'm sure isn't gonna look dated and stupid in 5-10 years (hell, it looks pretty dumb now).

The actual show premise is what sounds the worst. Get ready of 3/4 of the time slot being some kid at school, and then Mega Man for only the last bits. Sonic Boom may be pretty basic, but at least it's simplicity boiled down to "Sonic fights Eggman", not "Sonic has detention, oh no!"

Not gonna write this show off until it's released, but it seems like things aren't looking good. At the very least, this guarantees a new Mega Man game, but it'll be based on this.

• Thumbs Up 1

I kind of like the design of Mega Man, but holy shit that face needs a rework asap.

I'll give it a shot anyways.  The shows I've seen from Man of Action are kind of decent (Ben 10 and Generator Rex), so there's some hope I think.

I'm just gonna share my reaction that I shared on /v/:

1464275213716.gif

Jesus christ, this is what Megaman has been on hold and the comic canceled for?! the fuck capcom...

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Alter ego part doesn't surprise me, it seems writing about kid super heroes is Man of Action's comfort zone.

I'm not giving up yet, but it looks kinda bad.

Man of Action only made classic series and crossover with Rex. (I liked Omniverse, but I can see why you didn't. It had many problems.)

Yeah I know. And it didn't help that there were a lot of behind the scenes shenanigans going on that made me dislike Omniverse. 

17 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

...I'm no fan of the design but this is a really bizarre comparison.

It was a random pre-school show. Point still stands, the really simplistic design, and the really light colours just screams a pre-school design for me, I don't know why, it's just a feeling the design is giving me.

4 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

It was a random pre-school show. Point still stands, the really simplistic design, and the really light colours just screams a pre-school design for me, I don't know why, it's just a feeling the design is giving me.

Megaman's original design is even more simple and (Tron lights aside) lighter in color, though?

Why the hell couldn't we have a cartoon about this? 

• Thumbs Up 7

Just now, Diogenes said:

Megaman's original design is even more simple and (Tron lights aside) lighter in color, though?

As I said, it's hard to explain. It's just something about the design that is giving me that vibe. The closest thing giving it is the face for some reason, but the entire design is giving me that vibe.

Either way, that design is still terrible.

Being someone who isn't very fond of Man of Action's other shows, I wasn't really expecting much to begin with. Guess I shouldn't have expected a faithful adaptation after Ultimate Spider-Man's, er, approach.

But now I can safely say I'm expecting even less, and that's very unfortunate when the bar was low to begin with.

1 minute ago, Dejimon11 said:

Why the hell couldn't we have a cartoon about this? 

Because the human race is not worthy of such gifts.

Okay, I'm not much of a Mega Man fan, (I have vague memories of playing one game, and the comics is the recent thing that kinda got me back into it, but only little) but...

The design looks meh, but the face looks really off.

And the plot for this isn't pretty. Why Aki? Who's Mega Mini? Why the heck didn't they add Rush as his sidekick? WHY IS A ROBOT GOING TO SCHOOL?!

Why can't they use this design from Smash 4? I think that would kinda fit in the cartoon!

rockman.jpg

I thought this cartoon was going to trigger some epic nostalgic moments of playing the games or something. But nope...

I have so many questions.

The art is ugly and the design reminds me of Mega Man Universe.

The small synopsis sounds fine, though.