Awoo.

Mega Man: Fully Charged

Spin Attaxx

On 9/22/2018 at 9:21 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

UK finally got a confirmed channel and air date. It won't be Cartoon Network UK, but rather Pop UK, which is a free channel.

...That doesn't really bode well. Apart from the Hasbro shows that air on Pop due to not having a version of the Hub in the UK, Pop isn't really well known for having good successful shows still running. The only exception I can think of is Dragon Ball Z Kai and even that was due to the fact no other channel would pick up the Funi dub, wanting the Ocean dub instead, which Kai didn't have.

Edit: Just checked myself, and confirmed it. Even worse, it's only getting one episode per day.

For those in the UK with a curiosity:

Episode 1: Throwing Shade Part 1 - 02/10 - 3:30

Episode 2: Throwing Shade Part 2 - 03/10 - 3:30

Episode 3: Drilling Deep - 04/10 - 3:30

Episode 4: Videodrone - 05/10 - 3:30

Episode 5: Please Rush Home - 06/10 - 3:30

Half past 3 in the morning?! Fuck that, I'm waiting 'till they put it in a new time slot.

Here's our first proper look at Wood Man:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but...he's actually pretty decent. Design's off, but I like the new "ninja/hardened warrior" motif he's got going on, and he actually puts up an alright fight. Sure, it would've made much more sense to use Shadow Man here, but this is the first Robot Master of the show I don't flat-out hate.

Elec Man, on the other hand, has been relegated to a stereotypical hyperactive speedster who talks too fast to comprehend.

10 minutes ago, TheBlueGuardian said:

Half past 3 in the morning?! Fuck that, I'm waiting 'till they put it in a new time slot.

3:30pm I believe. 

19 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

3:30pm I believe. 

Hmm... Ok I did check on the listings, we'll wait and see if it's right.

And for the sake of getting back on topic.

19 hours ago, Forte-Metallix said:

Elec Man, on the other hand, has been relegated to a stereotypical hyperactive speedster who talks too fast to comprehend.

Elec Man's not too terrible, but makes me wonder what they are going to do with the other Robot Masters. Also why haven't we seen a Mega Man 3 Robot Master like Magnet Man yet?

6 minutes ago, TheBlueGuardian said:

Elec Man's not too terrible, but makes me wonder what they are going to do with the other Robot Masters. Also why haven't we seen a Mega Man 3 Robot Master like Magnet Man yet?

Well, Shadow Man's pretty much out of the cards thanks to Wood Man. (Unless they decide to radically change him too, which wouldn't surprise me at this point.) 

Magnet Man and Snake Man would probably be the best candidates, though if they add the latter, you can guarantee he'll have the stereotypical snake lisp, like in Ruby-Spears.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, so I DVR'd an episode while making sure the Toonami stuff was set and honestly it is kind of a watered down version of Pac-man and the Ghostly Adventures. On one hand, it's not as carefree or energized, making it a little boring to watch(y'know, outside of the slightly questionable design/shade choices). But on the other, it seems like it's more concerned about the story &"heart" it's trying to tell and thus is potentially more worth following. Which means it's just kind of okay(going by this impression--more on that later). Unless you're a hardcore Megaman fan, in which case why are you watching this?

The two 11 minute episodes were about newcomer Chemistry Man and Woodman.

Spoiler

Not gonna lie, the first one actually kinda hurt a bit to watch initially and started to bore me enough that I was shocked when I checked to find I was 9 minutes in. Like, Aki's slightly pitched, braggish tween voice was not what I needed to be introduced to and that science girl was worse to look at, plus she just made me kinda miss how comparatively humble Cyli was. Chemistry Man himself was kinda neat, though. Mostly the vocal delivery.

The second one was better in that it somewhat showed what this show can potentially do. Black girl had me concerned for a split second after the last one, but she actually works with the plot. Woodman, as different as he was, was actually a surprisingly interesting take on the two or three tropes he's comprised of, random shuriken aside. I even caught on to and didn't the remix of his boss theme.  Mayor/Principal/Whatever Hundred-Hundred(dat name) was just kinda easing towards the dumb side though.

On 5/26/2016 at 11:47 AM, Dejimon11 said:

Thank you twitter 

CjZJDsbXIAAGhW3.jpg

Oh my goodness, I didn't put that together :joy: 

On 9/10/2018 at 7:18 PM, Forte-Metallix said:

Here's "Guts Man" in action, complete with Russian voice, dumb muscle archetype, and Deviantart fetish fuel:

I think someone decided to make his "Guts" title a bit too literal.

Well, I'll give it this...he looks better with context than he did in that one screenshot I saw.

Also, is it me or is the voice

acting being recorded/garbled in a thermos?

On 9/18/2018 at 2:09 PM, Singapore Sling said:

Why can Mega Man get praised for some kind of uniqueness by just changing Astro Boy elements, but when Fully Charged does it (MUCH less drastically than other incarnations of Mega Man, no less) it's bad?

Because it's using the same name and recognizability to get by?

11 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Unless you're a hardcore Megaman fan, in which case why are you watching this?

That excuse doesn't really fly if you watch more episodes. The show can't use the Mega Man 2 theme all the time, start the first episode with a pixel art recreation of the Mega Man 2 intro, have various classic Mega Man references in the background like a picture of the robot master selection menu and still try to claim to be only for a new audience. The older fans are clearly part of the target audience.

Yeah because little kids that haven't played the older games are totally gonna get this.

36 minutes ago, pppp said:

That excuse doesn't really fly if you watch more episodes. The show can't use the Mega Man 2 theme all the time, start the first episode with a pixel art recreation of the Mega Man 2 intro, have various classic Mega Man references in the background like a picture of the robot master selection menu and still try to claim to be only for a new audience. The older fans are clearly part of the target audience.

Yeah because little kids that haven't played the older games are totally gonna get this.

That's not meant to be an excuse. It's me plainly stating the obvious.

Besides, 

On 9/18/2018 at 2:09 PM, Singapore Sling said:

Why can Mega Man get praised for some kind of uniqueness by just changing Astro Boy elements, but when Fully Charged does it (MUCH less drastically than other incarnations of Mega Man, no less) it's bad?

11 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Because it's using the same name and recognizability to get by?

Also, is that the Gamegrumps?

So, I learned there's another two-parter coming tomorrow called "Lightfall" (it's probably already available on demand, actually), and judging by the plot synopses for both episodes, things are getting interesting; I decided to catch up with the series as a result, and I feel the Wood Man episode was actually pretty well-written, had some dynamic fight scenes, and may be a sign the show's improving a little.

I still don't think it's the worst thing in the world when it comes to Mega Man cartoons, and if it gets better from here, I'm all for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, SonicWind said:

So, I learned there's another two-parter coming tomorrow called "Lightfall" (it's probably already available on demand, actually), and judging by the plot synopses for both episodes, things are getting interesting; I decided to catch up with the series as a result, and I feel the Wood Man episode was actually pretty well-written, had some dynamic fight scenes, and may be a sign the show's improving a little.

I still don't think it's the worst thing in the world when it comes to Mega Man cartoons, and if it gets better from here, I'm all for it.

i just looked up the synopses. Hmm, it does sound interesting. Is it going to be like a season finale? There's gonna be like 52 episodes, right?

So. Lord Obsidian. Who is obviously Sgt. Night and probably this:

2147287163_Screenshot2018-10-06at18_50_08.png.e8f87419364f49d6bee8a1881acac1eb.png

....oh yeah, and we're gonna get a glimpse of..........ugh......."Namagem". From what little we know, I'm guessing he'll be an angst child like Archie or a evil rival brother like RS.
I seriously hope Namagem is a name given by Sgt. Night (after meeting Megaman), and his name is actually normal.

4 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

Is it going to be like a season finale? There's gonna be like 52 episodes, right?

Nah, we're only 20 episodes in (counting "Lightfall"). We still have a ways to go until we hit 52.

So... yeah. "Lightfall" has definitely changed the playing field a little.

Spoiler

As a two-part episode of this caliber (or Wham Episode, as TV Tropes calls it) should, the show takes itself a little more seriously when Lord Obsidian enters the picture in Part 1, calling Mega Man out as a traitor to robots and daring the hero to face him, which he accepts quickly and with certainty that he'll be the one who wins. Joke's on him-- Obsidian's the first real opponent Aki faces, and he doesn't prepare for it, despite the advice of Suna and Principal 100100, taking the worst beating he's ever been dealt in the series so far and actually losing a fight. Horribly. Obviously, this Lord Obsidian turns out to be Sgt. Night, and he didn't kill Mega Man outright because he wanted him to feel weak and join his side. Meanwhile, Aki awakens back at home, and Suna is there for him, quite noticeably concerned about his well-being; Aki says he should have taken her advice to not be over-confident, even in the face of a more powerful threat, and promises they'll be ready next time.

In Part 2, it's shown the crushing defeat has pushed him to improve and learn the ability to Quick Shift between the weapons he's copied throughout the series so far, which comes in handy when Lord Obsidian attacks the Lighthouse and he, along with the other Lights, have to keep him from getting something in the house called the Mega Key, which is capable of reprogramming robots (hey, you don't think this has anything to do with how Aki can become Mega Man, do you?). Rush takes a bullet for Mega Man, however, which enrages the Blue Bomber and drives him to Quick Shift constantly, catching Obsidian off-guard. Then what do you know? A mysterious new figure (no doubt it's Namagem) appears as a momentary distraction to allow Obsidian to escape. Rush gets repaired by Dr. Light and Suna, the latter deciding they should take the opportunity to enhance him. And they sure did-- he can now don red armor that makes him look a lot closer to his Classic self (and probably gives him the functionality he has in the games, though I doubt Rush Coil will make an appearance because Aki can just leap tall buildings in a single bound under his own power). This, as well as the fact that Namagem will obviously be a factor in the future alongside his "father", certainly switches things up substantially.

Between "Enter the Wood Man" and this two-parter, I definitely think Fully Charged is starting to improve and show some potential. Here's hoping the show can keep this up.

14 hours ago, SonicWind said:

Nah, we're only 20 episodes in (counting "Lightfall"). We still have a ways to go until we hit 52.

I meant like a half-way point/temporary climax. I'm not sure if there's a word for it.

Okay so I just took a small peek at Lightfall Part II to see the two characters...

1482229646_Screenshot2018-10-07at09_57.32-Edited.png.b8b52dfed45ed36108a7e373fd3e6c20.png 1247327148_Screenshot2018-10-07at10_03_43.png.a3a0e78db9b5c8bac8981a9cb8cc83e0.png

"Same armor!!!!"    ....but eh, I'm a bit disappointed they have the same look. And yeah they're totally going the edgy angst route.

Did they explain why/how Light recognized Namagem? I'm guessing by dad-instinct or something, but it was so weird. 

4 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

Did they explain why/how Light recognized Namagem? I'm guessing by dad-instinct or something, but it was so weird. 

No, but I'm going to guess Night just yoinked him one day in front of Light, and when he appears the doctor realizes that this might be what he did with him.

So that's Not-Protoman, huh? Okay then. Guess I shouldn't be surprised.

At least Rush actually looks like Rush now.

1 minute ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

So that's Not-Protoman, huh? Okay then. Guess I shouldn't be surprised.

At least Rush actually looks like Rush now.

Do we have an image of Rush in this episode?

We've got videos...unfortunately:

dcflkfdcldk.png

Rush's new design

Also

dckdclk.png

Notice how this new bot's got yellow painting around his neck and one shoulder, like a certain someone's yellow scarf.

If Namagem has the classic signature whistle (or a general whistle motif), I will be quite upset.

Interesting to see they're improving the show piece by piece, but it's still definitely not my cup of tea. Part of the beauty of Mega Man, in my opinion, is the simplicity of it. Designs so easy that a child can draw them, basic character archetypes, and a layer of complexity if you're looking to dive further. This show lacks that simplicity, so I just can't get into it.

7 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

I meant like a half-way point/temporary climax. I'm not sure if there's a word for it.

Mid-season finale?

So Lightfall basically goes like this: The writing and overall direction definitely stepped itself up for this, but here's the problem, it's hard to be invested in this more serious and tense episode when every previous one was nothing but bad puns, Mega Man being a dick to people, and misguided moral lectures. I can't be emotionally invested in Mega Man and his family being in danger if I don't know Suna or Light, and Mega Man has been a dick to people so far. You had 18 eps before this to get me to know these characters and yet i still don't know the villain's deal, i still don't know anything about Suna or any of the other characters for that matter and the world of the show is still barely defined.

But despite that you now wanna suddenly try to actually be a show instead of a souless commercial for toys? Too late I'm afraid.

I also love how they wrote Mega Mini out of character in this, in this ep he's not being an annoying shit cracking bad jokes, he's just Mega Man's tech guy.

If you have to write a character out of character for your plot to work that means your plot fails from the concept stage alone.

Also these designs for Obsidian and Namagem are so laughably tryhard edgy. Because clearly this is something Classic Mega Man needs.

Point being, this 2 parter is decently put together by itself in a vaccum. Thing is, it doesn't live in a vaccum. Your show can either be dumb and unfunny or serious and edgy(Obsidian's dialogue is on par with Infinite) writers. You chose to be dumb and unfunny, you can't suddenly turn into something different.

Nice try Man of Action, but you need to earn these with actual character development and world building, not puns and forced references to the games.

• Thumbs Up 2

I mean, you raise a few good points, but I'm happy the show's improving at all, no matter how late it is.

I'm not entirely sure they'll keep up the momentum from the past few episodes, but I hope they do.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/7/2018 at 3:48 PM, Ratcicle King said:

dckdclk.png

At least he looks dece-oh who the am I kidding? He looks like the Machine ! (in silhouette anyway) Who looks like Stryfe!

machine.gif

So when I saw this 2parter was a thing, I decided to give it a watch.

It was okay enough, I guess.

Can I just say that the main villain, Sergeant Night, has kind of a bad voice? Like, I see this dude in a few muted clips of a sorta-review series(Megaman Fully Charged is Bizarre), talking to Dr. Light in public about the dangers of robots or whatever and another of him talking to whoeveritwas in a junkyard as if he's quite manipulative & strongwilled and I could almost imagine a fairly stolid voice, rather the "average guy doing an army accent" voice he actually has.

Next, who are the other robots in his lair besides FireMan and DrillMan?

Is his unnamed robot form(which has a much better voice) supposed to be suit or an RC? 

Finally, is Night Jr. or whatever calling him father at the end supposed to indicate that he's also a human in a suit or whatever?

Rush looks weird.

I did like the lampshade about the MegaKey near the end.

@pppp

Isn't that basically a number of shows nowadays, though?

10 hours ago, DabigRG said:

@pppp

Isn't that basically a number of shows nowadays, though?

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean, which part of my previous post are you answering to?

Just now, pppp said:

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean, which part of my previous post are you answering to?

The thing about shows starting out kinda silly and episodic before becoming more dramatic and story-driven.