Awoo.

Mario and Sonic Went to Beijing And All They Got Were These Crappy Mini-Games

Indigo Rush

Interesting and thoughtful analysis on the matter.

While from a marketing standpoint, there's really nothing objectively wrong with an Olympic-based game, I personally just find sports games to be... well, extremely boring. (Though Wii Sports can be entertaining at times)  Even though it is nice to see that later installments in the series improve the games considerably, they still never enticed me enough to purchase them for any reason other than completionism and even at that, it's pretty much always second hand at a huge fraction of the price.  So basically, I wouldn't mind if the Olympic Games series were retired altogether.

I've wanted a Mario and Sonic crossover since I was very little, as I was always fascinated by both series, having grown up with both of them, and while I understand that it's a risky move, I'd love to see their take on a platformer.  It would be really interesting to see what they could do with it, provided the development was left in the right hands.  Of course, I've seen some detractors of this idea, who ask what would even be the point since Mario and Sonic no longer have similar gameplay styles.  Short answer:  Just for fun.  It doesn't have to have a meaning.  It would just be really cool to see.

Of course, Mario and Sonic don't have to have a dedicated crossover to be seen in the same game every now and then, either.  I know it's a pipe dream, but I'd like to see more Sonic characters playable in Smash and some more stages dedicated to Sonic's history.  With Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing becoming a widely successful series in its own right, I also wouldn't mind seeing some Mario characters make their way into that series.

There's so many fun things you could do with the characters, even if it's not a platformer.  I don't see why they have to limit themselves to one genre.

The title kinda sums up my perspective, I guess. I just don't care about the olympics or olympic event themed minigames, and putting characters I like/recognize into it doesn't change anything. Even if they had added all the fanservice they could, it would still offer me nothing I was interested in in terms of gameplay, so I couldn't see myself spending a cent on them (at most I'd just watch someone else's playthrough or something).

It's a shame that these games and Smash are all they've done together. I mean, I've said before that I don't see how a Mario and Sonic platformer could work, but there's still been part of me hoping they'd at least try to prove me wrong. Even given Sonic's issues and the platformer genre's overall fall from the spotlight, this should've been something big and exciting, but it ends up feeling kinda cheap.

• Thumbs Up 6

If it's mainly their to rake in the bucks, I say it should continue out of sheer pragmatism. I'm of course not going to buy them, but that shouldn't really stop others who will eat it up because it stars the two mascots, and this inoffensive thing would actually help things out financially - at least until it gets old and stops selling as much as they desire.

Quite frankly, I never really saw much potential in them. Not the concept of Sonic and Mario in a crossover game, but just the Olympic games specifically. The moment they were announced as olympic games, it was clear from the get go that they would just be fanservice-y mini-games staring Mario and Sonic characters, so I guess you could say I saw it coming from there.

I'm not understanding the reasoning of the Olympic theme. Probably because it's the only thing Nintendo's not already doing themselves as a series of games. The Dream events are the highlights of these games over obviously.

A genre of games that fits the special feeling of a long awaited crossover like a fighting game or an RPG. The two easiest genres to make crossovers for when their origin styles wouldn't mesh well together. Fanservice material is ripe for fighting games and no complicated story is necessary for a crossover RPG that has Mario in it, just a fun adventure with every chance taken for character interactions.

With Mario and Sonic alone, it's only 50% complete. To maximize it, add Mega Man and Pac-Man. That's what Smash gets right. Crash, Bomberman, Rayman, and Shantae are just gravy. A very good gravy.  These four could easily go on a fun four-player adventure ala The Simpsons Game, going into one another's universes if not yet more ones. This series has basically gone on for too long, and Mario and Sonic's novelty quickly erodes away with this approach.

There are some other crossovers that would work well, however...

On 6/2/2016 at 0:06 AM, StaticMania said:

I'm not understanding the reasoning of the Olympic theme. Probably because it's the only thing Nintendo's not already doing themselves as a series of games. The Dream events are the highlights of these games over obviously.

Purely business - they used to make Olympics video games in the same way they make Mario & Sonic titles, but they never sold particularly well, and especially poorly compared to the flagship sports titles like FIFA or Madden . Slapping Mario & Sonic on it is a way to market Olympic video games to people who otherwise wouldn't pick up a vanilla Rio 2016 game. 

• Thumbs Up 7

• 2 weeks later...

I've always been a huge supporter of the on-going Olympic series. It's certainly more entertaining than the typical RPG/Platform crossover that others want for Mario and Sonic, IMO. I don't see how something like that could work well. With the Olympics, it's so much better. Having two video game rivals compete against each other in the Olympics is something I never expected to happen. I enjoyed the first game a lot. I liked the fact that each character was divided into four different categories. This gave the player more possibilities as to who would be the best in a certain event.

By the time 2010 came around, things were starting to get intense. We had 4 new characters, rival battles being introduced, a story mode (DS), and costumes for your Mii (Wii). That's pretty dope. Later on in 2012, we managed to get amazing remixes for rival themes. I didn't care much for the character restrictions in the 3DS version, because I felt like Nintendo and SEGA were trying to make their characters fit in well with events that make the most sense for them. What we got during 2014 wasn't anything new or jaw-dropping. It was pretty okay, but not terrible. I wanted more characters and new rivals back then. Rio 2016 is looking pretty good so far, and I'm hoping that it's going to be the best title of the Olympic series.

I'm eagerly waiting for Mario and Sonic at the PyeongChang 2018 Olympic Winter Games to happen later on in the future. After that, Nintendo and SEGA can stop.

I've never bought these games, but they've gotten by without my support; I won't buy the next one, but I don't see my continued lack of support changing anything.