Awoo.

Pigs fly, The Avalanches to release New Album "Wildflower"

Hyp3hat

Frankie Sinatra, with guest verses from Danny Brown and MF Doom.

Cj6vtBKVAAAvy6p.png

New album Wildflower coming July 8th.

Spoiler

01 The Leaves Were Falling
02 Because I’m Me 
03 Frankie Sinatra
04 Subways
05 Going Home
06 If I Was a Folkstar 
07 Colours 
08 Zap!
09 The Noisy Eater
10 Wildflower 
11 Harmony
12 Live a Lifetime Love
13 Park Music
14 Livin’ Underwater (Is Somethin’ Wild)
15 The Wozard of Iz 
16 Over the Turnstiles
17 Sunshine
18 Light Up
19 Kaleidoscopic Lovers
20 Stepkids
21 Saturday Night Inside Out
22 Frankie Sinatra (Extended Mix)

What on earth is going on, I thought these fucks were never ever ever releasing another album. The new single.... pretty good! It's really hard to actually know how to feel, I've only been listening to Since I Left You since I was 11 years old...

WHO AM I KIDDING I'M HYPED 

You can find me backflipping to my local record store on July 8th.

• Thumbs Up 3

Since I Left You is one of the greatest albums of all time, and hearing them return for a second go round 16 years later is probably the most insane thing ever. It surely made my night yesterday!

Also, the new track is fantastic, but it's getting a lot of hate. Mostly because people are pretty closed-minded and not willing to take in anything without "muh nostalgia" getting in the way! Not like this sounds any different from SILY era other than Danny Brown and MF Doom coming in.. but it's flipping Danny and Doom like holy shit, where's the room to complain? This is just as bouncy and silly as Frontier Psychiatrist (except without as many samples), so I don't know why people are using this as judgement for the entire album to come, let alone let it be a bad thing.

Anyways, I'm completely stoked. Up against new Gorillaz, Beck, De La Soul, Strokes, etc.. 2016's looking so good for music, man.

• Thumbs Up 1

The track sounds like a mix of their Rock City work and SILY, resulting in a sound that only The Avalanches could come up with. So ready for this album.

2016 really is the year where anything can happen.

3 hours ago, Azoo said:

Since I Left You is one of the greatest albums of all time, and hearing them return for a second go round 16 years later is probably the most insane thing ever. It surely made my night yesterday!

Also, the new track is fantastic, but it's getting a lot of hate. Mostly because people are pretty closed-minded and not willing to take in anything without "muh nostalgia" getting in the way! Not like this sounds any different from SILY era other than Danny Brown and MF Doom coming in.. but it's flipping Danny and Doom like holy shit, where's the room to complain? This is just as bouncy and silly as Frontier Psychiatrist (except without as many samples), so I don't know why people are using this as judgement for the entire album to come, let alone let it be a bad thing.

Anyways, I'm completely stoked. Up against new Gorillaz, Beck, De La Soul, Strokes, etc.. 2016's looking so good for music, man.

I imagine a lot of the hate is down to the fact that 'The New Single From The Avalanches' is some colossal expectation in peoples minds. It's been 16 years and there is literally nothing they could have done to surmount the ideal of what that single should sound like. 

The only other artist who's managed to come back from something similar and actually pull it off is D'Angelo, but music has a lot of these things - the worst offender is Guns & Roses and Chinese Democracy. But I have faith in The Avalanches...

The other thing is that Frontier Psychiatrist was such an outlier on SILY, so if this is a similar thing that would be cool. I hope it's not party all the time, and they get some of that melancholy and sweetness on it. I'm getting buzzed just thinking about it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Apparently we've already heard another tidbit of music before this one even came out.

You know how they're doing that documentary, "Since They Left Us: Whatever Happened to the Avalanches"? There was a trailer for that posted on The Avalanches' YouTube page that contained a snippet of an unheard song, which apparently is picked up by music recognition program Shazam as a song by them called "Subways", which apparently was confirmed as a track for the album. (I'd post the video but I'm on mobile and at work so lol.)

And going by the sound of it, I think you may be right. The album as a whole may make Sinatra the outlier like how SILY did to Psychiatrist.

It all sounds so amazing, and I'm SO STOKED that it'll be out next month. I seriously can't wait.

• Thumbs Up 1

11350883_567290163409430_2125762667_n.jp

D. Brown and DOOM is the right way to come back with a fucking bang.
Considering that I did just listen to Since I Left You about two weeks ago...

bring it THE FUCK ON.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just a PSA for all you SInce I Left You fans, have you been listening to the Zomba promo, which has all the samples in it? The UK/US editions of the album couldn't clear certain samples, and so they re-recorded them - Radio and Frontier Psychiatrist are the most obvious, but apparently there was quite a lot of tinkering, as well as removing a track entirely. This has happened with all releases of the album to a certain extent, even the AUS version, but apparently the US version is the most changed.

Go to the Avalanches reddit and find it there, as well as HQ versions of Gimix (whch is Since I Left You - The Party Edition) and loads of amazing DJ sets and mixes they've done over the past 16 years. 

The most notable difference in the US version is the removal of the flute sample in "Summer Crane". I actually had to edit it back in myself. My (US) copy of the album from Amazon keeps the original FP vocals intact, though.

• 4 weeks later...

So this has leaked - I've been avoiding all the other pre-release tracks besides Frankie Sinatra, and I'M DOWNLOADING IT NOW, PLAYAS. Hyped beyond all reason.

I just listened to the entire album twice. First time to experience it, second to soak it in.

And it is ABSOLUTELY WORTH THE HYPE.

Please listen to this album ASAP. Easily album of the year, and just generally a fantastic experience from start to finish. It took me a good first listen to get used to an overall different sound than Since I Left You, so all I can say is to expect more trippy and psychedelic sounds than dance-centric rhythms on this album. It'll be hard to get past that at first, but just let it sink in and you'll be able to see it for what it is. It's incredible.

Fav tracks are "Harmony", "Wozard of Iz", "I Wish I Was A Folkstar", "The Noisy Eater", and "Colours".

• Thumbs Up 3

I'd say there's plenty of dance-y stuff on this album, and that it should be fairly easy to get into if you liked SILY.