Awoo.

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (Final Fantasy XII Remaster - PS4 / 2017)

Junko

Square Enix has announced Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age for PlayStation 4. It is due out in 2017.

The Zodiac Age is a high-definition remaster of Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System, which adds to the original Final Fantasy XII with reconstructed game design and additional systems, with further system improvements and current generation technology.

Source.

The list is improvements include:

• Visual Improvements
    • High-resolution upgrades for backgrounds, character models, and all 2D parts including font
    • High-resolution upgrades for movie scenes
    • Introduction of current generation visual expression
  • Sound Improvements
    • 7.1ch surround support
    • High-quality voice support
    • English and Japanese voices (switch between them in the game configuration)
    • Original and newly re-recorded BGMs (switch between them in the game configuration)
  • Usability Improvements
    • Shorter load times
    • Auto-save functionality added
    • Improved high-speed mode and improved play time operability during high-speed mode
  • Thumbs Up 3

I'm wondering why they bothered to re-record the soundtrack, wasn't the original already fully orchestrated?

7 minutes ago, PokeDwibs said:

I heard the original music was MIDI.

This is the best MIDI ever then.

Yes, i can confirm it was done in midi or synthesized music anyway (much like Kingdom Hearts II, developed around the same time), mostly due to how the PS2 hardware worked (orchestral music was not impossible, but it was space-consuming and was never rendered 100% flawlessly, like in the first 2 God of War games). Hitoshi Sakimoto just knew how to work with the tools at his disposal.

Anyway, really happy about this news, especially since this is the International Zodiac Job System version wich does almost a complete 180 to how the gameplay works; it's probably gonna arrive on PC too sooner or later, but i'll get the PS4 version anyway (well, once i'll have the console itself of course).

54 minutes ago, pppp said:

This is the best MIDI ever then.

Yep,  that's certainly a midi. If you listen closely,  you can hear the symphosised drops here and there. 

2 hours ago, Hildibrandskaven said:

this is the International Zodiac Job System version wich does almost a complete 180 to how the gameplay works;

Interesting; how so?Do tell?

If you want a full list, the wiki descibres better than i can do here. The jist of it is that while the core gameplay is the same (gambit system, attacking, casting spells, using items, bla bla bla), now stat growth have been changed and each character has to choose a single class from a range of 12 avaible (based on the zodiac) that cannot be changed. Consequentially, the license board has been changed to reflect such classes (each character has though his own exclusive set of personal licenses, like Guns1 for Balthier), and you end up with no more 6 jack of all trades characters, adding a much more complicated strategy focus on the game.

But that's just the surface in terms of changes, i recommend reading the full list.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 7 months later...

ZA.jpg

Release date confirmed at the 30th anniversary event: July 11th for Europe and USA, July 13th for Japan (and China/South Korea, i guess).

• 9 months later...

Square-Enix has officialized that Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age has sold more than one million copies, and to celebrate its holding a livestream on November 21st on this link:

Apparently they said they have news that will make fans of the game happy. I'm expecting a PC port announcement, but a remake of Revenant Wings would not be that bad.

• 1 month later...

https://gematsu.com/2018/01/final-fantasy-xii-zodiac-age-coming-pc-via-steam-february-1

As predicted by many, the game is coming to PC on February 1st.
This make it possible to play every mainline Final Fantasy game from III to XV on PC. Hopefully I and II will be added soon as well.