Awoo.

Is Super Sonic useless? What do you think about him

Creamy

Since the Emeralds became story oriented instead of bonus gameplay, Super Sonic's been kind of boring.

You can't use him in regular levels, so he's just a Megazord character they haul out for the final story. It's also pretty simplified gameplay, since you need to figure out how to use him for one level only.

Playing as Darkspine for the first time was actually pretty cool, because I didn't see it coming. And even though he was pretty much the Super Sonic of the Arabian Nights, SatSR played differently enough to make it fun. It might just be the character then.

I played with some ideas before. It could be fixed by putting Super Sonic back into regular gameplay, but that'd mean including special stages again. I'm a big fan of those, so no complaints.

They could also extend the final story to a few hours if they wanted, giving us two or three Super Sonic scenarios before the final boss. I'd like to play as him, but not the way they've been doing it lately.

Edited by Badnikz

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phos

• Sean

• CrownSlayers Shadow

• Blazey Firekitty

I reckon just going back to the S3&K-style formula of making the Emeralds entirely optional things that you pickup in Special Stages would be good. You can do the game without them, but then you get a bad ending and a chuckling Robotnik juggles them about before the screen tells you FIND ALL THE CHAOS EMERALDS. Do that and unlock the real ending and / or final boss fight.

In fact, Rush Adventure handled it quite well, I thought. You finish what appears to be the entire game, but there've been hints dropped throughout that all is not what it seems. You then pick up the Chaos and Sol Emeralds in situations which try their best to look like plotless 100%-completionism-only quests, but when you have all 14, BAM! Evil-shadowy-puppetmaster Robotnik rears his shiny bald head and it's final boss time.

Rush Adventure was freakin' sweet for doing it like that.

When I got all 7 Emeralds in Sonic 3, I could not have been happier - at least, until I realized that having Super Sonic did not help me much in trying the wrong way to make it past that vertical drum in Carnival Night Act 2 :huh: . I actually thought he was better in Sonic 2, but looking back I have no doubt that was because the level design of that game allows for the ecstatic experience of a high-jumping lightspeed hedgehog zooming through an entire level in less than a minute. Then I unlocked Hyper Sonic, and figured it could not get any better.

When I first played Sonic Adventure (DX), I realized that having Super Sonic only available in the ending boss fight scenario was very prudent story-wise and very balanced play-wise. By comparison, I felt that dashing through with Super/Hyper forms in the classic games made them woefully easy. The fact that I did not have to assume Super form does not fly, because it takes denial of double-jump abilities in Sonic 3 (which I like, and which in Knuckles' case are often required), and in Sonic 2 it takes not jumping at all (a struggle against the inevitable). Overall, I have become part of the crowd who favors the final boss approach over the availability of transformation after merely acquiring the 7 Emeralds.

In response to some post(s) I read on this topic: DO NOT EVER get rid of the Chaos Emeralds. Sonic without Chaos Emeralds is like Jedi without the Force, and that is an extremely accurate analogy in many ways. Super Sonic is here to stay, and I for one would not have it any other way.

The thing is Super Sonic nowadays is pretty watered down compared to his old self. In the old games he was an unstoppable force that nothing could even scratch, he could destroy things by merely touching them. Now all he does is fly around and reflect projectiles at the monster of the week until they die. At least with the other forms they mix it up slightly (Eg Darkspines gameplay being slightly more combat based) but with Super sonic you know you'll be playing the same fight as the previous game with a different skin.

When I first played Sonic Adventure (DX), I realized that having Super Sonic only available in the ending boss fight scenario was very prudent story-wise and very balanced play-wise.

It irritated me a lot in that game that I had no influence on when and how the emeralds changed hands. If it's really possible to tell a better story under this condition, Sega hasn't shown it.

By comparison, I felt that dashing through with Super/Hyper forms in the classic games made them woefully easy. The fact that I did not have to assume Super form does not fly, because it takes denial of double-jump abilities in Sonic 3 (which I like, and which in Knuckles' case are often required), and in Sonic 2 it takes not jumping at all (a struggle against the inevitable). Overall, I have become part of the crowd who favors the final boss approach over the availability of transformation after merely acquiring the 7 Emeralds.

They could always just make it it's own button if it's really a problem.

Off the top of my head, here are some benefits to having the player collect the emeralds:

- Special Stages offer a change of pace and a place in which to test out experimental ideas, or just to do something different

- The player is affecting the story somewhat - I and probably many others find it satisfying when we were the ones who earned the good ending, rather than that being the only ending

- Replay levels with the ability to become Super Sonic

- Replay the game to get the Emeralds if you missed them the first time (Not necessarily from the beginning)

I also can't help but feel like the Super Sonic only fight should be a climactic reward rather than a ball bustlingly broken challenge, and that seems to follow more logically after getting the emeralds yourself.

Super Sonic was suppose to be playable after getting 50 rings in Sonic Adventure (like the Genesis games) but for some reason they scrapped that idea. It was cool seeing him for the first time with red eyes.

The last time Super Sonic made a Sonic game better was in Sonic R. But that doesn't take much.

The last time Super Sonic made a Sonic game better was in Sonic R.
Uh, what? Super Sonic broke Sonic R singlehandedly and ruined any sense of balance the secondary roster could've had otherwise. Not that much was lost, Sonic R was a pretty bad game to begin with.

Uh, what? Super Sonic broke Sonic R singlehandedly and ruined any sense of balance the secondary roster could've had otherwise. Not that much was lost, Sonic R was a pretty bad game to begin with.

Super Sonic was my second favorite racer next to Metal Knuckles.

I am going to have to disagree with you there. I have played all 3 versions of Sonic R, and while character balancing is somewhat off, that would not keep a competent player from doing well with just about anyone (except, perhaps, with Tails Doll). Super Sonic may be the most well-rounded, but Metal Knuckles and Metal Sonic still have a good chance if controlled well (especially Metal Knuckles, who is the fastest character who also has the best trait distribution).

Unless you're playing against someone who can control Super Sonic well, in which case you would never win, ever.

I think my main problem with Super Sonic is that he reminds me way too much of DBZ. I'm not sure if this is coincidence, I don't know when the manga came out (I think it was the 80s) but everytime Sonic changes it's too Super Saiyin for me.

That being said I like Super Sonic and always look forward to the final battle because I love the transformation. However, I think it would be cool if they made Super Sonic playable for certain missions. For example, having to collect all emeralds in order to go super and then replaying stages to go through routes you couldn't get through previously to get to new areas, such as having to fly over walls or obstacles to reach your new destination. Kind of like Jak and Daxter where you have to collect orbs to fly through to your next destination.

Super Sonic used to be awesome, but now I don't really care much for him. It's just so obvious that he will ALWAYS be at the very end of the game battling the final boss, except on rare occasions.

Also, atleast in Sonic 3 he still had some weaknesses in Super form e.g. flattened or drowning. Now he just seems WAY too invincible, especially in the anime. -__-

Super Sonic being playable in all levels would of been cool before, but there's pretty much no point now that Sonic's pretty much invincible and can run faster than Super Sonic ever could before. :P

Yeah, it is kinda shitty that Super Sonic is so much slower then normal Sonic. You don't even feel more powerful. I guess you could blame the crappy final boss fights for that though. Last one that got it right was SA (though S&K still did it best). Since SA2 you just feel like a yellow Sonic that traded his speed for flight. I wish we would get a Super Sonic level instead of these slow boring boss fights. Something that would let you go all out, at least it would shake things up a bit.

I think my main problem with Super Sonic is that he reminds me way too much of DBZ. I'm not sure if this is coincidence, I don't know when the manga came out (I think it was the 80s) but everytime Sonic changes it's too Super Saiyin for me.

That being said I like Super Sonic and always look forward to the final battle because I love the transformation. However, I think it would be cool if they made Super Sonic playable for certain missions. For example, having to collect all emeralds in order to go super and then replaying stages to go through routes you couldn't get through previously to get to new areas, such as having to fly over walls or obstacles to reach your new destination. Kind of like Jak and Daxter where you have to collect orbs to fly through to your next destination.

I think I read somewhere that Yuji Naka was a big fan of the Dragon Ball series, so Super Sonic was probably a shout-out Easter Egg to that. Then he just kinda stuck with the series as his own entity.

I think I read somewhere that Yuji Naka was a big fan of the Dragon Ball series, so Super Sonic was probably a shout-out Easter Egg to that. Then he just kinda stuck with the series as his own entity.

Yup, that's the story. 7 Dragon Balls, 7 Chaos Emeralds. That's what I like about Super Sonic personally.

Whatever happened to Hyper Sonic and the Super Emeralds?

And more importantly, what happened to Super Knuckles? He could turn Super in Sonic 3 & Knuckles but in Sonic Heroes, Only Sonic could be Super.

And of course there was Super Tails, but he could only be Super with the Super Emeralds.

Edited by Joseppi

Yeah they're in serious need for a comeback. The closest we've seen Tails and Knux transform again was that little Super bubble they got riding shotgun with Super Sonic. I wanna see Tails sic some Super Flickies on foes again, and Knux shake the earth with his...pink self....lol. And yeah, Hyper Sonic needs a comeback. Of course this could be a good time to explore what other transformations Sonic is capable of. We've seen Darkspine Sonic, which caught everybody off-guard. What else can he do?

The only way I'd want them to come back is if they were handled the same way they were in the classics. An extra for getting the emeralds with no bearing on plot and no special fight. Doomsday Zone was Sonic only and I think it's better that way.

Well, since I havn't played a lot of the newer games, it's hard for me to make a take on it. But I do actually enjoy playing as Super Sonic at the very end.

But maybe you could have it so you could play as Super Sonic throughout the game by collecting the chaos emeralds like you did in the old school games, and simply make that a requirement for fighting the final boss, because maybe if you don't collect all the emeralds and you go through the game, sure you defeat robotnik, but then you have nothing to defeat the final boss with. Boom, game over, or start over and collect them. Not that you'd have to start the entire storyline over, just go back and beat the special stages like in Sonic3 and Knuckles and find something to warp to the special stages with.

As for Super Sonic being an uncontrolable psychotic, I didn't really like that. I prefer that he's just a powered up version of Sonic. Although it's possible Sonic could become corrupt with power at some point in time.

I know you guys might shoot me, but you could always play the future card where Sonic becomes mad with power in a similiar light to how it was described to happen with Knuckles in the archie Sonic comics. That would be more interesting to me because we all know that power corrupts.

I think Super Sonic sucks, all he does is fly into shit, that's why he's always in the last fight because it's easy for Sonic Team to tack him on. If they gave him so actual powers and let Sonic run around as super sonic he might be good... but as of now Super Sonic is useless, his novelty wore off after SA2 when he lost his cool factor.

I think Super Sonic sucks, all he does is fly into shit, that's why he's always in the last fight because it's easy for Sonic Team to tack him on. If they gave him so actual powers and let Sonic run around as super sonic he might be good... but as of now Super Sonic is useless, his novelty wore off after SA2 when he lost his cool factor.

Lol super sonic avatar

Well, since I havn't played a lot of the newer games, it's hard for me to make a take on it. But I do actually enjoy playing as Super Sonic at the very end.

But maybe you could have it so you could play as Super Sonic throughout the game by collecting the chaos emeralds like you did in the old school games, and simply make that a requirement for fighting the final boss, because maybe if you don't collect all the emeralds and you go through the game, sure you defeat robotnik, but then you have nothing to defeat the final boss with. Boom, game over, or start over and collect them. Not that you'd have to start the entire storyline over, just go back and beat the special stages like in Sonic3 and Knuckles and find something to warp to the special stages with.

They don't do that anymore? I haven't played any of the next gen Sonics besides the DS ones since I don't have a next gen system. When did they stop having you collect the emeralds? I know you didn't have to in the Adventure games but that's the only one's I can think of where you don't have to collect them.

Everything except Heroes and the handhelds.

I liked it better when Super Sonic was treated as a parody, rather than a serious plot device. Super Sonic could really be used as one of the games' running jokes if they used it properly, since it was based off of DBZ and all...

Lol super sonic avatar

Ya got a problem with me being to lazy to change my avatar? :P It was a cool snapshot I got... but he still sucks.