Awoo.

Is Super Sonic useless? What do you think about him

Creamy

Sonic Battle didn't have Super Sonic, but that doesn't count because that game sucked!

My sentiments exactly, pretty much. Besides, I'd like a game that actually utilizes all of the skills you've learned during the course of the game, rather than having instructions regurgitated at you during the final boss for boss-exclusive controls.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phos

• Sean

• CrownSlayer’s Shadow

• Blazey Firekitty

You can accomplish the same thing by including Super Sonic but not making him a plot point. Have the Emeralds "around", but not anyone's focus.

That's not a reasonable comparison, Super Sonic can do it versus a *blank* and probably win.

Learn to take a joke, buddy.B)

Either way, Super Sonic really isn't anything special if what he does isn't really super itself. Beating a foe by headbutting is pointless if he can already do the same thing without an invincibility or flight power-up. Something that has the title of "Super" is supposed to be something that really spectacular, and headbutting isn't spectacular or fun for that matter.

I can't shake the feeling that you're forgetting that Super Sonic encounters about twenty enemies in each level, and that the real deal with him is his invulnrability to hazards and increased mobility.

And I can't shake the feeling that you're really trying to sidestep what I've been talking about the whole time.

It wasn't anything about the Genesis games, it was about the 3D games.

And in those same 3D games, Super Sonic can't counter any number of enemies in any level if he's only available in the final story, and he certainly isn't anything super if all he has is a really bland set of moves.

Hasn't been made yet.

Which is what I've been trying to say. It would do wonders if one were made that really made Super Sonic truly super and not boring.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I thought Super Sonic was super because yellow is a cooler color than blue.

In SRB2 (still the only game in which I enjoy playing as Super Sonic), Super Sonic can hover and dash across water. That's super enough for me!

Learn to take a joke, buddy.B)

Either way, Super Sonic really isn't anything special if what he does isn't really super itself. Beating a foe by headbutting is pointless if he can already do the same thing without an invincibility or flight power-up. Something that has the title of "Super" is supposed to be something that really spectacular, and headbutting isn't spectacular or fun for that matter.

And I can't shake the feeling that you're really trying to sidestep what I've been talking about the whole time.

It wasn't anything about the Genesis games, it was about the 3D games.

And in those same 3D games, Super Sonic can't counter any number of enemies in any level if he's only available in the final story, and he certainly isn't anything super if all he has is a really bland set of moves.

Which is what I've been trying to say. It would do wonders if one were made that really made Super Sonic truly super and not boring.

It sounds to me like you're expecting it to become a DMC style beat em up game when you become Super Sonic.

Also, acting like I'm throwing a hissy fit is not classy.

Edited by Phos

I can't believe that didn't occur to me. Megazord sequence has been issued! :lol:

I can't believe I just now noticed that lol, and I seriously think sega copied the power rangers lol. But Megazord>Super Sonic, SS just rams into stuff like a retard.

I really wouldn't be surprised if the golem was a reference to super sentai mecha transformations; the series is riddled with enough obvious plagiarism and rip-offs parodies and shout-outs as it is.

Can't believe Chip didn't have a beastly lion form like Kero did in Cardcaptor Sakura, though.

It sounds to me like you're expecting it to become a DMC style beat em up game when you become Super Sonic.
Having more than one method of attack is DMC style now? :huh:

Super Sonic is a bit of a double-edged swords, I'd say- In a sense, I do think he works better as a plot device than as something that can be played as in stages.

I mean, it was okay before when the Sonic games weren't as fast as they are now, but if he were implemented as playable in the games now, he'd be little more than an invincible Sonic with a high jump. And also, whilst Super Sonic was fun to muck around with, I feel he did break the game a bit, because he'd basically make it stupidly easy, and as people have said, in Sonic 2 it was annoying because you had little control over turning into him or not.

That said, if they have the mechanic in place, I don't see the harm in them including him as playable in stages, although again it would have to function as an after-game extra, given that Chaos Emeralds are more often than not collected as part of the plot rather than at the players' own leisure, nowadays.

Oh, and if they ever did bring him back as playable in stages, they'd have to axe the looping music. Sonic games generally tend to have rather nice soundtracks, so it really did irk me playing through the game with every level having the same ten seconds or so of music looping endlessly. It'd be nice if they applied some kind of music filter or remix to the level tunes when playing as him perhaps, but certainly not an exclusive tune that overrides the main level BGM.

Let's not forget Super Sonic can charge things with Chaos energy and fire them. (eg. a fatman)

Oh, you mean Sonic Advance 3, right?

I almost forgot that and was just about to say "Not in the games he can't".

Not really, I'm just expecting something that gives me a fresh new feel of something Super for Sonic instead of the same thing I've played for 17 years without something fresh.

But a DMC style game that suits Super Sonic, or even regular Sonic's style of gameplay wouldn't be a bad thing provided it can be done well. I've always liked the idea of Sonic fist-fighting an enemy while he's in motion. B)

An incomplete example of what I think would really do well for Super Sonic would be like Dark Void's flight gameplay - complete freedom between the land and the skies without any mechanic interfering too much with you're enjoyment - and Armored Core for Answer - having an arsenal of weapons/abilities at you're disposal.

Adding DMC wouldn't be much of a bad thing either, but I don't exactly know how all of this could be incorporated into something like Super Sonic, nor do I think it may be what I'm looking for, but if done right it might give me that all powerful feeling I've always wanted from the superform.

Also, acting like I'm throwing a hissy fit is not classy.

I know tone is hard to detect online, but where are you getting that from?

If I was acting like you were throwing a hissy fit, I would've been more sarcastic than I usually am, and I've been on that path before. :lol:

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Hmmm I personally would like to play a Sonic game where Super Sonic doesn't show up.

I think Black Knight was halfway there. It was regular Sonic in golden armor and I thought that was just bad ass.

Buuut he retained the same functions as Super Sonic. As did Dark Spine. So...yeah. Still can't discount them.

It's just the whole way they do boss fights. I mean now that I think about it. The final boss is the most recycled aspect of Sonic games since Adventure 2 and Sonic Team really are lazy effing bastards for not even trying to change it up a little.

At least in Adventure 1 you're on solid ground (sort of ). You're not floating in an unimaginative featureless void and you're not just ramming into the boss like a retarded hornet flying into a glass window. You had a setting, a flooded destroyed city.

In SA2 you're in space. And the storyline lead to that point so I can understand that. But what the crap. Every game after that, the scenery just pointlessly goes away. In Black Knight wasn't I inside a castle? In Secret Rings wasn't I inside some sort of palace? Even in 06. Though everyone was trapped in a broken time pocket or whatever. There was still **** floating around to give me some sense of existing IN A PLACE. But even that went away!

Sonic Team! Do. Something. Else!

Edited by Dejablue

Well the final battles aren't as epic as Sonic Team tries to make us believe. To me he's just regular Sonic painted yellow and can fly. Maybe if his personality was altered and then I could consider him his own separate character then yes. But no. It's just a yellow flying Sonic!

I'd much rather have a final boss based on using all the actual platforming skills you have as normal Sonic. It'll make more fun and challenging gameplay to have to run through a course hitting the final boss or whatever, as long as it used platforming, than it would be to just soar through the skies and randomly run into things to win.

In terms of 'in levels' I feel it would be a bit redundant; all Super Sonic is, is a faster Sonic. You won't be able to control him in platforming sections, and as well as that, if you could turn and just soar through the level that would be boring. It just will make the game more boring.

I understand there has to be a goal for collecting the emeralds if it becomes a sidequest, but maybe you could make it just an achievement and so get a new collectible or whatever rather than a redundant re-skin.

I still think that Super Sonic should just be dropped for at least one canon game. I really just want to see what happens. Maybe the plot won't be so predictable for a change. I know when you think of a good Sonic game, the plot isn't the main thing you are worrying about, but for once I'd love to see a very well made story that does with out Super Sonic the Godhog. His role in every story bugs me just as much as superfuck power he has.

-Blur

Super Sonic does not appear in either Rivals game.

Oh and

Of course, using this makes it obvious that he was never programmed to be in any 3D action stages ever.

Edited by Aquaslash

I can't believe I just now noticed that lol, and I seriously think sega copied the power rangers lol. But Megazord>Super Sonic, SS just rams into stuff like a retard.

I thought it looked like this

But yeah, it looks like megazord too^^

I remember when I first unlocked Super Sonic in Sonic 2, I was stoked. Just changing out of nowhere after I gathered 50 rings and jumped and then ripped through a bunch of badniks made me go WHOA! Of course I saw Super Sonic before DBZ so when I first saw Goku go Super Saiyain, I thought he ripped off Sonic. lol

I barely use him nowadays when I play the older games. I just can't be arsed to sacrifice great level music for invinciblility and speed.

For me he's useless because I'm too rubbish to collect all the Emeralds to be able to play as him and I've no idea how to manage it in the DS games :lol:

I miss earning Super Sonic. Even though for the most part I suck terribly at special stages... XD

But I liked TRYING. I liked earning the ability to zoom through the stage as Super/Hyper Sonic with the annoying looping music (if they bring that back they can scrap that music though) that came with it. I'm not too big on Sonic Heroes, but it has its perks, one being the awesomely fun special stages.

I'm tired of Super Sonic being the savior of the world. I don't want to see it anymore, it's become cliche. I expect a stupidly huge monster thing to fight (I miss giant ass final boss robots that Eggman controlled. I even miss cute little animals in robots), I'd rather see Super Sonic as an optional character after going through a rotating maze/half pipe/killing ufos/getting blue spheres/collecting rings on a bridge/getting links/whatever it may be.

The whole super sonic bit is a bit overused.

After playing SABTK, I was very happy not to collect emeralds and I was also happy to see him not go super for once. After all, Badass armor is badass.

@eboni, I agree, I miss earning super sonic. Prepares if we had to earn Super/Hyper sonic again the experience of kicking collassal ass would be more the sweeter.