Awoo.

I need help!

cjmoore25

I know this sounds silly...but having encountered compatibility issues with Sega titles a few times, I find it's not my PC's specs but Steam failing to launch them properly.

Have you tried launching directly from the .exe file? e.g. right click the game on Steam > Properties > Local Files > Browse Local Files > you should find it there. 

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 have difficulty using the GPU on my laptop - They always default to Intel HD graphics, which can't run them very well. Maybe something like that is happening? Your CPU should be able to run SA1 at the very least, my old machine could do it (granted, it was unstable as fuck, but I could get through levels).

On 6/17/2016 at 5:54 PM, Hyp3hat said:

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 have difficulty using the GPU on my laptop - They always default to Intel HD graphics, which can't run them very well. Maybe something like that is happening? Your CPU should be able to run SA1 at the very least, my old machine could do it (granted, it was unstable as fuck, but I could get through levels).

Well, that's because of Intel's shit drivers. His problem is that the games are flat out refusing to launch. The point still stands that his computer is probably really bad in relation to how much he probably spent on it.

Yeah, the problem here is that even if he did get them to launch, the performance likely wouldn't be up to par to say the least.

On 6/21/2016 at 6:12 PM, Tara said:

Yeah, the problem here is that even if he did get them to launch, the performance likely wouldn't be up to par to say the least.

Indeed. Intel GMA's had really awful 3D performance.

On 18.6.2016 at 0:54 AM, Hyp3hat said:

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 have difficulty using the GPU on my laptop - They always default to Intel HD graphics, which can't run them very well.

Oh yes, the hybrid graphics technology provided in certain modern laptops, like NVIDIA Optimus? This used to be a big problem for certain games. In particular, Sonic Generations would refuse to detect my GeForce 540M, so the game's configuration utility kept defaulting to Intel HD Graphics, even if I tried specifically to launch the game with the 540M. On these laptops, there is no way of deactivating the Intel GPU and run solely on the 540M. The only fix at the time, which did not work on all laptops affected, was to tinker with virtual monitor ports while plugging a HDMI cable to an external monitor. Only then would the game be able to run on the more powerful GPU and display the game in the smoothness it deserved.

These days, Sonic Generations has finally received a patch that fixes this problem, but it took a very long time, I am sure it took almost a year to arrive.

Since cjmoore25's computer is a stationary computer, then thankfully this will not be an issue in any games, While certain laptops can alternate between an integrated and dedicated GPU depending on each task, the vast majority of stationary computers are physically unable to use a motherboard/CPU-integrated GPU while a dedicated graphics card is inserted. When a graphics card (most commonly dedicated AMD or NVIDIA) is inserted, the integrated, if any, becomes deactivated.

That said, it will be interesting to know what graphics is included with this computer, and if it is integrated or dedicated, so if cjmoore25 could list a bit more detailed specifications, then we will have an even better idea of the situation.

I've had no problem switching to a nVidia graphics card using the nVidia control panel. I have no idea about AMD and Enduro since I never had a laptop with a discrete AMD GPU, they're rare as tits on a fish these days due to nVidia absolutely destroying in perf/watt ever since the Maxwell cards came out. Hopefully that changes with Polaris.

Anyways, that's an unrelated issue. Where's the OP? He hasn't responded at all.