Awoo.

Prey(PC, Xbox One, PS4)

Klinsy

It's the future, aliens have taken over and they done experiments on you, you're trying your best to avoid them to make sure they do nothing  further to you.

That's Besteda's new game in a nutshell, gameplay is unknown at the time but it appears you solve puzzles, use stealth and use the powers you gained from the experiments.

The premise is interesting, but I want to know how it actually plays before I consider getting it.

Edit: Ooh, this is apparently a reboot of a existing franchise, my bad, going by the last game, it's probably a first person shooter.

It's actually the remnants of Prey 2, a sequel that was in development since like 2011, but ultimately didn't reach Bethesda's expectations. Let's hope this doesn't go the same way.

The reveal trailer looks great. Kinda looks like something thats a mix between DOOM and Alien: Isolation. Especially on a technical level :o it's visually stunning. I enjoyed the original game though and see nothing of it's essence in this O.o (Other than being a Sci-fi FPS)

I'm open to see what it offers. Glad they'll be getting rid of that afterlife mechanic from the original which pretty much made it impossible to really die haha

• 2 years later...

I've been playing this on my PS4 pretty obsessively the past few days and it's reeeeaaaally fun.

I'm a big fan of the first two BioShock games but I've yet to play System Shock, so I went into Prey with an interest in a taste of what the latter was like. My first time with the original BioShock was a tense experience, and I was very cautious and analytical of my surroundings while I familiarized myself with Rapture. I love this game, but the problem with BS is that once I got to know the enemies and learned my way around the map, it stopped being terrifying, and on repeat playthroughs I would go on autopilot and cruise through the story without anything resembling a new challenge unless I'm playing on a higher difficulty, all the while my pockets overflowed with excess inventory and cash. It's a great game, but after a certain point you break through the game's relatively low skill ceiling if you're playing on normal, so you have to raise the difficulty setting and turn off vita-chambers to force a new experience out of it.

Prey reminds me of how I felt when I played BS1 for the first time - except it never lets up on the difficulty and frightening atmosphere. I'm over 20 hours into the game and I still find myself on edge as I creep around every corner, because at no point can I just barrel through the lesser enemies like a fully upgraded Samus Aran can. Backtracking is actually an extremely stressful endeavor, because the more you progress through the story, the more difficult older areas become as they get littered with stronger typhon enemies. Even when I'm fighting a lone mimic or phantom, I have to exercise caution in how I approach them. Do I get up to their face and shotgun them to death with close combat, or do I just avoid them to save on ammo and health? After the 10 hour mark I almost felt overpowered and well-stocked on supplies, but it became progressively clear to me that ammo was very scarce in later areas and I found myself almost driven into a corner due to my gung-ho nature of killing everything in sight. As a result, I'm now back to avoiding certain encounters and figuring out the best ways of dispatching typhons using as little resources as possible. It was an important lesson I had to go through so that I wouldn't get too cocky before the game took off its training wheels and started getting serious with the enemies it was throwing at me on a regular basis.

I'm not done with it yet, and I'm talking a break from the main story in order to focus on my ever-growing list of sidequests that I'm interested in knocking out first. I tend to lose track of time and I always think to myself "just one more area" because it's so fun and satisfying making any amount of progress and collecting stuff that I'll need for later. It's one of the best surprises I've encountered this gen and it's right up there with one of the most memorable FPSs I've ever played along with BioShock, Metroid Prime, and the original Doom.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2019 at 9:46 AM, Sean said:

I've been playing this on my PS4 pretty obsessively the past few days and it's reeeeaaaally fun.

I'm a big fan of the first two BioShock games but I've yet to play System Shock, so I went into Prey with an interest in a taste of what the latter was like. My first time with the original BioShock was a tense experience, and I was very cautious and analytical of my surroundings while I familiarized myself with Rapture. I love this game, but the problem with BS is that once I got to know the enemies and learned my way around the map, it stopped being terrifying, and on repeat playthroughs I would go on autopilot and cruise through the story without anything resembling a new challenge unless I'm playing on a higher difficulty, all the while my pockets overflowed with excess inventory and cash. It's a great game, but after a certain point you break through the game's relatively low skill ceiling if you're playing on normal, so you have to raise the difficulty setting and turn off vita-chambers to force a new experience out of it.

Prey reminds me of how I felt when I played BS1 for the first time - except it never lets up on the difficulty and frightening atmosphere. I'm over 20 hours into the game and I still find myself on edge as I creep around every corner, because at no point can I just barrel through the lesser enemies like a fully upgraded Samus Aran can. Backtracking is actually an extremely stressful endeavor, because the more you progress through the story, the more difficult older areas become as they get littered with stronger typhon enemies. Even when I'm fighting a lone mimic or phantom, I have to exercise caution in how I approach them. Do I get up to their face and shotgun them to death with close combat, or do I just avoid them to save on ammo and health? After the 10 hour mark I almost felt overpowered and well-stocked on supplies, but it became progressively clear to me that ammo was very scarce in later areas and I found myself almost driven into a corner due to my gung-ho nature of killing everything in sight. As a result, I'm now back to avoiding certain encounters and figuring out the best ways of dispatching typhons using as little resources as possible. It was an important lesson I had to go through so that I wouldn't get too cocky before the game took off its training wheels and started getting serious with the enemies it was throwing at me on a regular basis.

I'm not done with it yet, and I'm talking a break from the main story in order to focus on my ever-growing list of sidequests that I'm interested in knocking out first. I tend to lose track of time and I always think to myself "just one more area" because it's so fun and satisfying making any amount of progress and collecting stuff that I'll need for later. It's one of the best surprises I've encountered this gen and it's right up there with one of the most memorable FPSs I've ever played along with BioShock, Metroid Prime, and the original Doom.

I loved the main game and everything about it. But wait til you play the Mooncrash DLC ;) 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2019 at 9:46 AM, Sean said:

So I managed to play the game about a month before you did, and I have to say I pretty much agree with everything you said.

I had the game for a year before finally deciding to play it, I honestly didn't know what to expect, just that it always seemed to be a bit of a 'darling' on Resetera and a few other places, so I picked it up.

Well... Once I got out of my apartment, which was an amazing reveal! I'm so happy that wasn't spoilt for me! I... Really started to find myself becoming a bit bored, I don't know why but it just wasn't 'clicking' with me, but then slowly everything started to fall into place. 

Aside from the truly science fiction atmosphere, you begin to see just how well they designed the environments, it really is a game that you can just spend hours exploring in because once you find a new route you end up going down a rabbit hole discovering new hidden rooms and more bits of the story.

The big comparison is to Bioshock 1 and System Shock 2, but Prey feels different in many ways, the big one as mentioned is how if you clear an area of enemies, over time they'll re-spawn but will have changed slightly. 

Oh and I loved how as the infestation began to damage more parts of the space station this has implications on some parts of it which you can choose to fix or even prevent! Though it did kick me in the teeth when I entered that room full of gas and couldn't use my guns!

The main problem the game has is once you start to find NPC's, they're... not well done, aside from the fact they often talk over each other, they're so lifeless, when you find that stronghold in the cargo bay, it really does illustrate how little thought went into them, then if you get both the doctor and the lady in your office... when you talk to them... Good god it's bad. 

But the biggest thing for me that I started to love was how so many 'locked' rooms became a puzzle to try and figure out a way in. There was just so many ways to gain access to some rooms they felt like their own miniature puzzles. When you finally get access it was a huge moment of euphoria. Even if there's not much inside the locked room, when you figure out a way inside you're so excited.

I uploaded a video today exploring about every locked room in the game is a puzzle and how the game educates the player so subtly, which can probably explain what I mean by the puzzle rooms better than this post can.

But the main thing, Prey just feels like the first truly science fiction game for years, you really do feel like you're on a space station in the future, they really nailed the world building with this one. 

Just... Play Prey!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1