Awoo.

"Resident Evil 7: Biohazard" Resident EVill, "Eh See what I did There?"

Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon

I watched the video and it brought up at least 1 point I mentioned in my previous reply.

This person seems to be a big fan of the beefcake military characters. He goes on for awhile talking about how their inhumanity was a core element of making the campy horror games what they are. While I can appreciate some fan service, I'm going to have to disagree. The old games reserved those crazy rocket launchers and usually most of the best weapons in the game til the end for when you earned them. The rocket launcher usually only appeared at the very end so you can get a classy explosive finish, and it might get unlocked for in-game use later. Other weapons or costumes would be hidden by a convenient hidden zombie or a trick you had to be in the know to know about them. Everything else (except maybe shotgun) was resource management and outwitting enemies by the skin of your teeth. Or running past them, 'cause that's a totally viable strategy too. I find it interesting because his video seems to make him less of a fan of the classics and more of a fan of the motorcycle action games. The moment these characters learned how to perform inhuman stunts was the moment the horror was taken out of the series to begin with. You can't exactly be scared if you feel invulnerable to immediate threats. Being scared and being surprised are not a 1:1 comparison.

Another thing he brought up was the supernatural element in the REVII demo. I'm going to spoiler box this in case anyone hasn't played the demo yet or they're waiting for more cohesive information about the game itself down the line.

Spoiler

So about the stuff magically appearing and the mannequins. The demo has given us hints that family man has been wandering around the upper floor's beams, which could mean that he knew what we were doing when we were doing it the whole time. You hear footsteps occasionally up there. Picking up bolt cutters somehow throws a mutilated doll at you for no apparent reason.

The message when you wake up appears threatening but it's even more so when it's directed at you after you watch the cameraman's derelict video. Would it be unreasonable to suggest that maybe the protagonist was so scared after watching that footage and learned about what took place in the exact same house he's trapped in, he might have imagined the words had changed? Kind of like an Amnesia game theme, which I find could be interesting in small doses.

The dolls I really have no explanation. Those are purely to scare those of us with fears of living dolls and it sure as hell worked.

The final point, the one about PT, I'm going to have to assume this demo is the spiritual successor of that unlaunched title. The similarities are too numerous to attribute it to mere coincidence. However, I don't see how that can antagonize fans of horror beyond Silent Hill fans that wanted a new game.

I feel like the REVII demo is getting some weird shade thrown its way for little reason beyond that it's different. This game, which is attempting to bring the franchise back to its horror roots, I feel is going to become as polarizing as RE4 was when it first released. It wasn't a bad release, just different and clearly taking the series in a different direction than before.

People have different preferences? I mean I was never a huge fan of the first person PT survival, and so barely anything here seems interesting as the next big RE title. All they really needed to do was take the Leon segments of 6, polish them up a bit, maybe take a bit more inspiration from 4, and bam, a RE game that doesn't have to jump ship and try a complete new style of gameplay, and still keeps that horror element. It's not like they couldn't have made a traditional 3rd person horror game work in today's time. Capcom just kept fucking it up with 5 and 6, and pulled a Capcom and assumed people didn't want that anymore.

But what makes RE for me, is different for someone else, so I'm not gonna tell people that they're enjoyment out of this is less valid or anything. Just giving my opinion and views on this.

It's like if they made a first person Zelda game as the next big adventure. Of course there will be people that aren't a fan of that direction, people will have preferences, and those preferences aren't not invalid, just different tastes.

Of course people have different preferences. I never said they didn't in my responses. What I am saying is that the game is not straying too far from what the original games were like. Furthermore, this game is about as accurate describing what the game will be like as what the FFXV carbuncle teaser was doing. This scenario will not be returning in the actual game. It is just teasing the feel of the game that is still a work in progress.

Basically, I was responding to the video posted which was talking about how REVII was straying away from its roots. You seem to be taking my words out of context as some sort of strawman defense for why I can't defend a game that's being hated on for the very reasons brought up in the video.

When I literally said that people will have their own interpretations of a game franchise and what makes it that, idk how I'm saying you can't defend it.:/ why I dislike it imo is just as valid as why you think it's fine is all I'm saying. 

And I agree which is why I say that this game is going to be as polarizing as the time when RE4 came out. That was a completely new take on the franchise than the classics that came before it. As a Sonic fan, I'm sure you can see the parallels this has with the platforming classics and the boost gameplay.

Games will adapt to change if they want to continue surviving in the current market. That's what Final Fantasy is doing by choosing action over turn-based in their remake. That's what Resident Evil did when it made the form of games you're a fan of. That's why Phantasy Star died off as a franchise in the west because it couldn't adapt to current demands.

I'm a fan of all this Resident Evil. I was around when the originals were released and I posted about RE6 when it was the latest thing on these forums. I can understand that people want to hold on to certain aspects of a game style. Companies want to retain the mood of a game, but they will change things in order to bring in new audiences and keep the series fresh.

Though no one here has said it but ive read elsewhere on youtube vids and capcoms youtube page. If another person blabs that what made RE RE was the zombies and Ink ribbons im going to kick a door in. Neither was what the series was meant to be forever based around.

I am pumped for RE7 and seeing how it ties into the storyline. Been a fan from the start and never been dissapointed by anything they have done......besides pachinko.

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Though no one here has said it but ive read elsewhere on youtube vids and capcoms youtube page. If another person blabs that what made RE RE was the zombies and Ink ribbons im going to kick a door in. Neither was what the series was meant to be forever based around.

I am pumped for RE7 and seeing how it ties into the storyline. Been a fan from the start and never been dissapointed by anything they have done......besides pachinko.

Amen. Now if you really wanna see salty, someone needs to make a Castlevania topic so I can spew hate about it turning into a sexy pachinko franchise. God damnit. Thank everything for based Igarashi and Bloodstained.

2 minutes ago, Coral said:

Amen. Now if you really wanna see salty, someone needs to make a Castlevania topic so I can spew hate about it turning into a sexy pachinko franchise. God damnit. Thank everything for based Igarashi and Bloodstained.

Haha I watched one of the new trailers for the castlevania pachinko machines. What a proud franchise and it was reduced to that. But arcades and pachinko is heavily popular in japan. Or at least I think it still is.

12 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Haha I watched one of the new trailers for the castlevania pachinko machines. What a proud franchise and it was reduced to that. But arcades and pachinko is heavily popular in japan. Or at least I think it still is.

Pachinko was really popular, but it started going on a downward spiral a few years ago. I haven't kept tabs on if it recovered recently or if it's still going down.

Make no mistake though; investing in pachinko I have no problem with. It's understandable that they wanna gamble with that popular market to make some extra income, especially with such a golden franchise as Castlevania. It's just if the company chooses to focus primarily on that avenue with an IP that has lasted years to rot in a hell such as that is when I get livid.

7 minutes ago, Coral said:

Pachinko was really popular, but it started going on a downward spiral a few years ago. I haven't kept tabs on if it recovered recently or if it's still going down.

Make no mistake though; investing in pachinko I have no problem with. It's understandable that they wanna gamble with that popular market to make some extra income, especially with such a golden franchise as Castlevania. It's just if the company chooses to focus primarily on that avenue with an IP that has lasted years to rot in a hell such as that is when I get livid.

I am just glad I have yet to see any Megaman pachinko machines. But I trust Capcom when it comes to RE.

• 2 months later...

Don't tell aunt Rhody

Don't tell aunt Rhody...

Don't tell aunt Rhody..

The demo has been updated. 

5GB patch.

The finger has a use!

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...
Spoiler

Omg omg the ending has me hoping there is a secret ending or the dlc after the game ties up things. Why is Chris flying in a umbrella helicopter!!

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:
  Hide contents

Omg omg the ending has me hoping there is a secret ending or the dlc after the game ties up things. Why is Chris flying in a umbrella helicopter!!

Spoiler

Many people are thinking that it's not Chris at all (he looks nothing like him, and has a different voice actor). Rather, it's returning character HUNK posing as Chris.

5 hours ago, Toa Axis said:
  Hide contents

Many people are thinking that it's not Chris at all (he looks nothing like him, and has a different voice actor). Rather, it's returning character HUNK posing as Chris.

Spoiler

It has me so confused haha. Could that person be related to Chris and Rebecca and they just never said anything. Regardless they can't just leave this unresolved

Currently stuck in RE7. Trying to get into the main hall :(

Spoiler

Just after the scene where you crash the car.

33 minutes ago, EllieBot said:

Currently stuck in RE7. Trying to get into the main hall :(

Hide contents

Just after the scene where you crash the car.

If you want the answer:

It's interesting that the ending to this battle differs depending on your actions. I didn't get in the car in time and instead HE tried running me over, eventually crashing the car. Anyway, for the main hall "key", you need to climb the ladder (which refuses to cooperate at first for some reason) in the garage and examine the picture frame.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Pawn said:

If you want the answer:

Reveal hidden contents

It's interesting that the ending to this battle differs depending on your actions. I didn't get in the car in time and instead HE tried running me over, eventually crashing the car. Anyway, for the main hall "key", you need to climb the ladder (which refuses to cooperate at first for some reason) in the garage and examine the picture frame.

Thanks!

Spoiler

I forgot to examine the back of the picture!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 01/24/2017 at 1:24 AM, Toa Axis said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

It has me so confused haha. Could that person be related to Chris and Rebecca and they just never said anything. Regardless they can't just leave this unresolved

I've run madhouse 4 times now. So easy with new game plus stuff

Spoiler

I was enjoying RE7, but now I'm on that ship I'm so freakin bored.

I'm currently trying to repair the elevator, but I've had enough of this ship already!

Just Beat RE7.

2 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Lol shops most fun part though.  hard part comes after that

Nah, the bit after was easy. The ship was just confusing and became a drag after a while.

Overall it was good.

The cave gave me resident evil 5 and 6 vibes that was all action and I loved it just not on my first madhouse run lol

I'm going to be that guy and say I didn't like this game. The game works, - but all of them worked- but it just didn't do it for me. I dunno I liked what Resident Evil became, it made sense with the plot so far. This just feels like they wanted to make SH fans happy. Again this is a sound game, I just feel like they wasted the title and should've used something else. Now i'm looking forward to the new animated movie.. that should've been RE7. I mean an entire game with a Leon and Chris teamup? Instant buy.

2 hours ago, Remynaka said:

I'm going to be that guy and say I didn't like this game. The game works, - but all of them worked- but it just didn't do it for me. I dunno I liked what Resident Evil became, it made sense with the plot so far. This just feels like they wanted to make SH fans happy. Again this is a sound game, I just feel like they wasted the title and should've used something else. Now i'm looking forward to the new animated movie.. that should've been RE7. I mean an entire game with a Leon and Chris teamup? Instant buy.

That was kinda 6, and that game was a clusterfuck of ideas that to me didn't capture at all what resident evil was. Even Leon's sections still felt more action vs scare. 7, has very familiar territory that resident evil was founded on. condensed rooms, backtracking, a lack of emphasis on killing and guns(or a lack of encouraging using them) and campy and hammy character interactions between the characters mixed with a overarching serious plot. I don't see this trying to "just please silent hill fans" anymore than this was trying to "please outlast fans".

• Thumbs Up 1

Got platinum last night. Everything about the game was amazing.do , category the dlc besides  Not a hero. Story was great